I would guess the destruction of Saturn doesn't mean much to the solar system.  I mean, literally the mass of Saturn didn't disappear, it's still there, just scattered.

However, the addition of Gatlantis to the system could be a big problem, because it's like literally adding another Neptune size planet, it'll screw some things up for sure.  But since this is Yamato, we'll just handwave this stuff away.    Although it'll be really cool if they didn't.

Edited by kalvasflam

Well, after listening to several podcasts on the subject... 

This is killer. I wonder what Andy ships escaped (besides Andy herself)? Did the Prometheus as well?

On ep 17/18.  

All of them except Apollo Norm. it seems that we must have one  sacrificial goat...  so, most of the Andro classes managed to leave.  although the cookie cutter DNs seem to have been all killed.  Oddly there were also fighters that escaped, fighters that appeared to have little or no role in the latter half of the battle.  I'm waiting to hear the subs regarding the DoT to see what they were doing to speed up the builds of even more Andies and the new Yamato.

By the way, that video sped up things a lot, there was a lot of stuff cut in between those scene, not to mention a few of the battle scenes were missing

Edited by kalvasflam

here's a pleasant thought: What if some of those ships survived to reconditioned as enemy units? The Galatians are already big on using visuals to demoralize their foes. What couldn't be funnier than a dozen or more G-DN's fighting against friendlies?

Why would they want to when they can basically spam warships.  I think I can demoralize an enemy enough by just suddenly showing up with bucket loads of warships.  Just have the right copy machine and its easy.  Although they haven't said as much, those guys probably 3D printed all of the DNs

• 2 weeks later...
26 minutes ago, Felix said:

Just got the Funimation StarBlazers 2199 Blu Ray limited edition set. The production values are pretty good. I just want to know when I can get the second volume. 

Is the art book that comes with it any good?

1 hour ago, General Rasp said:

Is the art book that comes with it any good?

It is very small and well made, but the images are all stuff you have probably seen before. Overall the book is nice. I will say that I was not impressed with the quality of the postcard sized prints that are also included. It seems like the colors are off. Almost like the brightness is overly saturated. 

Edited by Felix

Thanks for the heads up, guys. I had no idea that Funimation had gotten the license for Yamato/Star Blazers. Picked up the limited edition 2199 set. When did Funimation acquire the license?

3 hours ago, Marzan said:

How are the subs on Funi’s edition compared to the Japanese ones?

I don't know but I'd be very surprised if they were different.  From what I can remember even the spoken dialog in the first episode matched the original subtitles word for word.

7 hours ago, Marzan said:

How are the subs on Funi’s edition compared to the Japanese ones?

They are pretty damn good actually. The only differences I have noticed are simply to make the animation more closely match the words being spoken. It looks amazing in Blu Ray. All in all I am happy with the purchase. The only thing I'm not really happy about is not knowing when I can get the 2nd set.

On 8/4/2018 at 4:07 AM, Felix said:

They are pretty damn good actually. The only differences I have noticed are simply to make the animation more closely match the words being spoken. It looks amazing in Blu Ray. All in all I am happy with the purchase. The only thing I'm not really happy about is not knowing when I can get the 2nd set.

Thanks. Just ordered it from Amazon.

subbed version is up now. 

It's pretty interesting, but Teresa is pretty much a do nothing, she sits around and spouts nonsense.  Desslar had it perfectly when he said he didn't really need Teresa as anything more than a bargaining chip, because that's all she is good for.

On 8/5/2018 at 9:40 PM, kalvasflam said:

not yet, seem like those guys are still working on it.  Although the raws have been around for a while now.

Man, still waiting for 2202 to be subbed completely....want to binge watch the whole thing.

you realize that means next year at the earliest.  How many episodes did they saw were in this show.  If it's a 26 episode run, it means two more sets of movies.  Probably finishing theatrical release in March 2019.  I just don't want to wait that long.

BTW, I actually thought that this set was a bit of an improvement over the last four episodes.  Primarily because of the Desslar development.  The fleet battle was... meh.  

14 minutes ago, kalvasflam said:

you realize that means next year at the earliest.  How many episodes did they saw were in this show.  If it's a 26 episode run, it means two more sets of movies.  Probably finishing theatrical release in March 2019.  I just don't want to wait that long.

BTW, I actually thought that this set was a bit of an improvement over the last four episodes.  Primarily because of the Desslar development.  The fleet battle was... meh.  

I think I binge watched 2199, but yeah, if I keep coming tonthis thread, I'll probably cave eventually.

On ‎8‎/‎8‎/‎2018 at 12:05 AM, kalvasflam said:

subbed version is up now. 

Hide contents

It's pretty interesting, but Teresa is pretty much a do nothing, she sits around and spouts nonsense.  Desslar had it perfectly when he said he didn't really need Teresa as anything more than a bargaining chip, because that's all she is good for.

Spoiler

I don't know about her being a 'do nothing'. From what I've read, I get the impression that she is incapable of doing anything, because she's such an advanced species. Think of her being more stoned to the point of indifference to any potential danger to herself (although she knows the Gatlanteans are a danger to her for reasons unknown, otherwise why would she SoS Yamato's crew at the beginning of the season?)

Spoiler

Moar ship spam (in desperation at this point). I'm really wondering what the next season will invoke? Bet you $10 the Time Deisolation Arc, that allows the Cosmo Navy to spam out ships, will itself turn into a danger (that is, if Teresa doesn't do something to it as part of the bargain for finally ridding the universe of the Gatlantians... ) The increased violence that Teresa warned about, is certainly panning out. The Ginga seems to buff her attendant DN's (presumable against either the Buzzsaw kamikaze's or the big ass Anti-WMG missiles) and Blue explosions?

Edited by TehPW
Random thoughts at a glance...

2 hours ago, TehPW said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Moar ship spam (in desperation at this point). I'm really wondering what the next season will invoke? Bet you $10 the Time Deisolation Arc, that allows the Cosmo Navy to spam out ships, will itself turn into a danger (that is, if Teresa doesn't do something to it as part of the bargain for finally ridding the universe of the Gatlantians... ) The increased violence that Teresa warned about, is certainly panning out. The Ginga seems to buff her attendant DN's (presumable against either the Buzzsaw kamikaze's or the big ass Anti-WMG missiles) and Blue explosions?

that's right, we don't need stinking Andromeda and their ilk to do dispersion WMG.  The Ginga can do buff every ship to do that... I actually don't have a clue what the Ginga is buffing.  Speaking of which, why do they have to call it Ginga instead of translating the name to Galaxy.  Ginga sounds so... gansta.  Although I suppose that cute captain can be considered a bitter of a gansta given the look on her face all the time as if there were a stick shoved up her... well, you know.

I am curious to know if the Ginga can buff Gamillas ships as well.  The new stealth fighter is called the blackbird?

Finally, I know this is just the scene for the first episode, I'm hoping for a return to the Desslar arc, they have to do that if they intend to wrap this up in two more sets of episodes.

3 hours ago, kalvasflam said:

Hide contents

that's right, we don't need stinking Andromeda and their ilk to do dispersion WMG.  The Ginga can do buff every ship to do that... I actually don't have a clue what the Ginga is buffing.  Speaking of which, why do they have to call it Ginga instead of translating the name to Galaxy.  Ginga sounds so... gansta.  Although I suppose that cute captain can be considered a bitter of a gansta given the look on her face all the time as if there were a stick shoved up her... well, you know.

I am curious to know if the Ginga can buff Gamillas ships as well.  The new stealth fighter is called the blackbird?

Finally, I know this is just the scene for the first episode, I'm hoping for a return to the Desslar arc, they have to do that if they intend to wrap this up in two more sets of episodes.

So, did anyone else have Murrue Ramius flashbacks? ;)

3 hours ago, kalvasflam said:

Please don't mention GS.  As subpar as Yamato 2202 has been, GS and GSD was just at a completely different level of bad.

While 2202 has been slow, I don't see where all the disappointment is coming from. Mind you Yamato 2 was epic, and nearly impossible to live up to. Especially after they left out the Andromeda sabotage to steal the Yamato bit.

As for SEED, I still say it held up better than Wing & AGE.

I look at it this way, 2202 is better than a good number of shows out there.  But it failed to live up to the standards set by 2199. 

The writing became overly dependent on the next big thing.  Think about the progression in the series.  Ep 1 had the new Gatlantis battleship, by Ep 6, the same battleship was cannon fodder.  By Ep7, there were a million plus of these ships combining to form the stupid cannon.   While to meet the threat, Earth turned to a cut and paste machine.  It went from a few dozen new ships to more ships than you can possibly count.  By the way, that million plus battleships could've sure been useful during Saturn.  The puffing up of the threat level just make no sense at all, surely Gatlantis didn't discover their spamming power in the intervening three years, so what made the Gamillas able to fight Gatlantis evenly in the years before.

Then there are the paper cutout bad guys.  Zordar's motivations are just baffling.  He wants to destroy the universe by making Teresa intervene... huh?  The only redeeming thing right now is the Desslar storyline.  Which IMO managed to boost the last four episodes.  Which incidentally makes Gatlantis actually relevant. 

The main problem is that the bar is set too high.  Just like it was for Macross Delta, it failed to live up to its predecessor, Macross F.