1 hour ago, Dynaman said:

Good to know, I'm going to be subbing to Funimation in a month or so - I would like to go through 5 episodes or so at once when I join up. Going to be torture waiting each week for the ones after that of course.

Don't I know it. Already itching to see the next episode tomorrow.

For those who have heard, how would you rate the Yamato dubs for 2199 and 2202?

For instance, for 2199, is it worth double dipping on the blu-ray discs to get the dub with Funimation's new release? I'm usually drawn to the subtitles first, but I also enjoy a good dub. It's been a while, but dubs that still stand out in my memory are the Ghost in the Shell movies, Macross Plus, Cowboy Bebop, Bleach...LoL! I guess i'm dating myself with that list. :lol:

10 minutes ago, technoblue said:

For instance, for 2199, is it worth double dipping on the blu-ray discs to get the dub with Funimation's new release? I'm usually drawn to the subtitles first, but I also enjoy a good dub. It's been a while, but dubs that still stand out in my memory are the Ghost in the Shell movies, Macross Plus, Cowboy Bebop, Bleach...LoL! I guess i'm dating myself with that list. :lol:

Dubbing has been good, not amazing, but good. Not worth double dipping, but worth a single dip if you can get the dual language versions.

43 minutes ago, technoblue said:

The first episode or two of 2199 are available for free on Funimation.  So give it a try before you buy.  I agree with Focslain, the dubbing is good but not great.  Considering the low price on the dubbed version I'll be picking it up even though I already have the 4 discs of Star Blazers 2199 that came out from the old site.

I think the Yamato story is really Desslar's story,  I always found the Gamilas portion of the story more interesting that what's going on with Yamato.  I like it that 2199 really did a lot more flushing out of Gamilas, than the original series did, and made Domel more three dimensional.  It seems like they're pivoting a little to Desslar's story development here.  I do have to say, the most interesting part of the last four sets were episode 11, and the last two minutes of episode 14.

I don't mind the space battles, but those only supplement the story of the characters.  Hopefully, the 2202 storyline will be used more to flush out Desslar, because, let's face it, no one gives a crap about Zordar or the a-holes from Gatlantis.  They're equivalent to the typical throwaway Marvel villain of the MCU.  Where as Desslar is more like a Loki.

Edited by kalvasflam

On 5/15/2018 at 3:17 PM, Hikaru Ichijo SL said:

I only got the 1st 2 Yamato 2199 Blu-rays from Japan.  They cost way too much.  I just hope the subs on the disc is the same as the Japanese ones.

The ones with the Starblazers 2199 logo on em? By Funimation?

1 hour ago, UN Spacy said:

The ones with the Starblazers 2199 logo on em? By Funimation?

I'm guessing Hikaru means the Japanese import, which also had English subtitles. Some of us went that route for the first reboot.

I went all in, and it's the reason for my current conundrum with Funimation's US BD release. On that note, the dub is good. I''m not sold on every English voice actor—some characters seem a little off to my ear (like Okita) but I can deal with it. This new dub certainly isn't as jarring as ADV's Macross dub from a number of years back.

Edited by technoblue

Synopsis from someone who's watched it.

7gkptgum.jpg

But my thunder......

Impressions from the cinema:

went there early in the morning, don't like crowded places. still a lot of otakus, mostly men, but also some women, also one white otaku.
932Tx9Lm.jpg
69jP0V0m.jpg

there was a special give away and a long line formed. but something special Yamato related wasn't there
the cinema itself wasn't full, but still a lot of people for 9am in the morning, propable most of them were still standing in the line...

during the credits, one japanese person wanted to applaud
after the preview the crowd gave some brief applaud
I also saw one japanese woman washing away some tears
I think she liked it

so now some short summaries from what I understood

starts with a flashback to Dressler's past, as a child he was listening to some super secret meeting of some politicians,
his father? was going to execute him, but Dressler made a promise with his older borther and was allowed to live
next flashback, Dressler is a bit older and he is at the funeral of his older borther, his mother is crying a lot
then some flashback how Dressler becomes the leader
the whole flashback had an interesting drawing style, instead of black for the outlines they used gold

didn't get this part, but he is mad at Teressa for some reason related to his past
in the meantime Yamato starts an offensive against Dresslers fleet to save Kodai and the rest at the ground.
the gamilian Kiman? goes to the ground and meets with the rest
now the twist:
Kiman? is a Dressler and directly related to Boss Dressler, maybe even his son, but not sure on this
after hearing some of Dresslers reasons, he turns on his device which turns off Yamato's core and Yamato becomes a literal dead ship in water
Kiman shots Kodai

Kodai wakes up, the shoot hit his helmet and he was knocked out. The ground team was captured and now is on Dressler's main ship.
The dead Yamato is surrounded by Dressler's fleet. Kiman has some dialog with Dressler. He meets with Teressa again and ask some questions.
I think Teressa says something like, he should follow his heart and wish, I think Kiman wants to become king or something.
Kiman betrays Dressler, switches off his device, free's Kodai and they escape. During the escape Kiman is shot by the Gatlantian and crashes with his jet in the water.
He almost drowns, but is saved by Yamamoto in the last second.
At the end, Teressa gives a good bye speech and her and her whole planet disappeares somehow.

Spoiler

mostly a dialog episode.
Kiman chose Yamato at the end, because on her he found/saw love and friendship
Gatlantis prepares for the battle and they build a new miko
earth also prepares
Yamato prepares, the want to turn their wave motion gun into some kind of Super-Mega-Giga-Wave motion gun
also remember the pilot who is the father of some sick child, the miko on board has some plans for him

can some explain to me who or what Teressa is?

the battle begins, a scout fleet meets the gatlantian fleet at Saturn
earth's fleet uses Wave motion guns, which are now one every ship
Gatlantis counters with, pause, literal sword ships which ram into the enemy
well, earth's main fleet warps in and they overpower the Gatlantians. to give you an impression how it looks, imagine Fate's Gilgamesh gate of Babylon, but just way more and instead of weapons ships.
Well, Gatlantis main base, this white comet, warps in and it is bigger than Saturn.
earth's fleet prepares to fire all their wave motion guns, they line up and fire. with the help of some kind of focus lenses the wave motion shots become 5 super-wave motion which combine into a Super-Mega-wave motion.
They destroy the gatlantis base.

just kidding, only the fog is blown away and the real base is revealed. looks  like a metal/crystal bird cage which has planets inside. The thing is bigger than Saturn. And by just moving though it, half of Saturn is destroyed.
Earth's fleet once again shoots its Super-Mega-wave motion but the gatlantian base only turns into the white black hole again and destroyes the fleet. with some help only the hurt Andromeda manages to escape.
Yamato warps in and starts to charge their new  Super-Mega-Giga-Wave motion gun at boint blank. it looks something like ssj4 Gogeta's big bang attack

now a short side story:
remember the miko and the father of the sick child. the miko gave him an example of a medicine which can save his son. she says it can easily be produced and she will give him the recipt, but only if he does something for her.

back to the plot:
the father has the disabling device control in his hands and switches it on. Yamato is a dead ship again and falls towards the white hole. the end.

a second earth fleet with gamilians aside fights gatlantis
there is a big Gin-Ga {Milkyway} at the end

bye bye god of heavens :(

Sounds about the same sort of ludicrousness and weird characterization I've come to expect from 2202.

From the size of Gatlantis, I'm assuming it's not gonna land on Earth any time soon lol. More like Earth lands on Gatlantis. :p

Also I love how 2199 was about "using the WMG is something that must be treated with gravitas" and yet 2202 goes "you get WMG'd, you get WMG'd, everyone get's WMG'd, do you want a super special deluxe ultra pussy crusher WMG? Here ya go!" Very amusing.

Edited by skaianDestiny

• 1 month later...

Been a while since I visited this thread.  Still holding out on watchng any of it until it's complete with English subs so I can binge watch it.  In the meantime, I slapped together a 1/500 scale Yamato from Bandai (repost from another thread):

RQSc1PP.jpg

aP86Ck0.jpg

yriJ3Qz.jpg

mXXsrhH.jpg

4wxRoR2.jpg

SNXk1Ah.jpg

NK0ASqo.jpg

9qo6cQe.jpg

bCOFx0J.jpg

UDJzA9R.jpg

7et6Dqw.jpg

5Ao4E20.jpg

t0yfkSK.jpg

Some outdoor shots:

j8bCZMB.jpg

bw2kCJ0.jpg

lZFwRsf.jpg

dcJCFNc.jpg

LkzSGqm.jpg

qvCwGaq.jpg

kLzc776.jpg

9pQVfjM.jpg

Be gentle, I haven't touched a plastic model over 10 years

Thanks!  My 3.5 yr old likes to hold it as we're watching through 2199 together.  I'm planning on building the 2199 edition 1/500 (which is actually bigger than the 2010 release in the pics) so I have something to hold as we watch through 2202, lol!  

Really looking forward a completed and subbed 2202 series :)

Edited by peter

The 1/500 2199 version is an awesome kit. Funny thing for me is that I couldn't find the kit in any of the stores in Japan when I was there in September of 2016. I actually had to order mine from a place in the US once I got back from my tip!

I saw something on Facebook that looked like some kind of mod for the main guns, today... any ideas what that was about?

From Cosmo DNA:

Space Battleship Yamato

Yamato brought the Cosmo Reverse System home from Iscandar, which restored the global environment as it was before the Garmillas invasion of the solar system. After finishing its important task, Yamato was enshrined in a submarine dock as a memorial ship, but under the Earth Federal Government’s new “Wave-Motion Gun fleet initiative” policy, it was decided to return Yamato to the battle lines.

Extensive remodeling by Sanada was pushed forward by this stressful decision, including refurbishment of the Wave-Motion Gun. The addition of a factory within the ship, strengthening of the armor, and the addition of anti-aircraft guns give it a more robust form and it awaits a new voyage.

Name: Yamato-type ship number 1, Yamato (first remodeled type)
Length :333m
Main machine: Dimensional Wave-Motion Engine x 1
Prime weapon: Dimensional Wave-Motion radiation discharger (Wave-Motion Gun)
48cm triple-barrel positron shock cannon x 3
20cm triple-barrel positron shock cannon x 2
Torpedo launching tube x 12
8-port missile launch tower x 1
Type 94 depth charge launcher x 2
Anti-aircraft pulse laser turrets, several

5 hours ago, TehPW said:

I saw something on Facebook that looked like some kind of mod for the main guns, today... any ideas what that was about?

If you saw ourstarblazers.com post, that's the second issue of a test run on a collectors magazine, with parts for a 2202 1/350 scale Yamato. This issue has the parts for one of the main guns. If the magazine goes on, the finished ship will be almost 1 meter long, mostly die cast and full of gimmicks.

Edited by westfall

Hmmm, the raw is out, and I have to say, Syndrom was right: "When everyone's super, no one will be."

Remember when the WMG was a big deal?  Remember when a ship was sunk, it was a big deal?  (Ok, I don't remember that either with all the fodder we've seen), but the cookie cutters really went to overdrive in ep 17 and 18.  Sigh... I'm just hoping the subs will make this more interesting.

34 minutes ago, kalvasflam said:

Hmmm, the raw is out, and I have to say, Syndrom was right: "When everyone's super, no one will be."

Remember when the WMG was a big deal?  Remember when a ship was sunk, it was a big deal?  (Ok, I don't remember that either with all the fodder we've seen), but the cookie cutters really went to overdrive in ep 17 and 18.  Sigh... I'm just hoping the subs will make this more interesting.

I was afraid of that. 

Star Trek made years of shows about life on one ship, imagine if they introduced 100 Excelsior class ships in the second season of TOS?

I really, REALLY liked 2199.  I hope 2202 isn't a shitty sequel...

1 hour ago, kalvasflam said:

The original did the same thing, though, so this isn't anything new. The WMG was only a big deal in the original Yamato. It stopped being so the moment that Arrivederci Yamato/Yamato 2 introduced the Andromeda and the rest of the Earth fleet. The only thing that changed was the number of ships.

True, but the original didn't make the WMG such a big deal.  It's 2199 that made WMG such a big deal.  The injunction by Starsha, the endless complaining about Kodai on whether it's ok to use the WMG, I mean it was literally the first half.   Then, practical reality threw out the rationale for not using the WMG.

I personally think Weapons of Mass Gratification (WMG) should be used as often as possible.  But oh well.  I am more interested in the first two episodes, seem to be lot of Desslar developments there.  Will see if the sub makes this any more interesting

2 hours ago, kalvasflam said:

True, but the original didn't make the WMG such a big deal.  It's 2199 that made WMG such a big deal.  The injunction by Starsha, the endless complaining about Kodai on whether it's ok to use the WMG, I mean it was literally the first half.   Then, practical reality threw out the rationale for not using the WMG.

Not having seen a lick of it yet I wouldn't be surprised if the mass use of WMGs is going to have some kind of consequence for all involved.  IIRC Starsha's people in this version wiped themselves out due to use of WMGs.

23 hours ago, Dynaman said:

Not having seen a lick of it yet I wouldn't be surprised if the mass use of WMGs is going to have some kind of consequence for all involved.  IIRC Starsha's people in this version wiped themselves out due to use of WMGs.

Wouldn't it funny if excessive use of warping or WMG energy causes Fold Faults (or as I suspect will be important for the next season/series) or some kind of environmental issues caused by something simpler: What happens to the solar system, gravitationally speaking, now that Saturn is destroyed?