OOOOOOOK.

Spoiler

Now I get that Galanteans are realllllllllly big on telepathy (to spy amongst the rank file as well as ambitious leaders) and because they really are into Disposable Heroes (folks as Zombie Telephone-Suicide Bombers and Just Suicide Bombers) and maybe that's the main point of Teresa calling upon Yamato to right the clear wrongs of Lord Zōdah, why i'm still pretty vague on his end game: Does 2202 make Zōdah a sociopath i.e. classic story foe or does the director weaving a morality tale based on current events?

Edited by TehPW

1 hour ago, skaianDestiny said:

Uh, that's not how that works?  If you look at the other stuff even though it says things like "episodes 3-12", "episode 3", and "episodes 2-3" they still have all episodes starting from episode 1.  There's literally no point in releasing the way you've described as it goes against the point of having these streaming services.

I hope you are right, but from a business stand point it would prevent people from waiting until the whole series is released to sign up and binge watch a series and then quit either without paying (if there was a free trial) or only paying one months subscription. I can’t help it if how they list their  episodes is confusing. 

Chris

Can't wait for the sub, but can someone explain to me why Gatlantis has this insanely complex plan instead of just bumrushing Earth with that crazy fleet.  If Zordar is indeed some kind of weirdo sociopath, I think he missed the main lessons from school.  May be he was dropped on his head when he was little.

3 hours ago, kalvasflam said:

Hide contents

Can't wait for the sub, but can someone explain to me why Gatlantis has this insanely complex plan instead of just bumrushing Earth with that crazy fleet.  If Zordar is indeed some kind of weirdo sociopath, I think he missed the main lessons from school.  May be he was dropped on his head when he was little.

The sub is on Crunchryoll right now.

http://www.crunchyroll.com/star-blazers-space-battleship-yamato-2199

From what's been gathered on a few blogs, the deal with the Gatlanteans in this version is...

Spoiler

they're a race artificially created by some long gone civilization. Yep, much like the Zentraedi in Macross, they were made for war. After their masters disapeared (either on their own or by the Gatlanteans hands, it's still unknown), they set out to spread their view of Love. Their perception on love and other feelings is much different of our own, they may not even grasp some concepts, as Zordar tells Dessler that he wants him to teach Gatlantis the true meaning of "obsession" by giving him a chance to seek vengeance on his ultimate prey, Yamato.

Another point is that all Gatlanteans are clones and apparently there are no females. How Sabera fits into that particular plot point is still unknown. She's either not a true Gatlantean or she's an aberration (maybe like what happened to the Moclans in episode 3 of The Orville). As an example, the young boy seen sparring with Zavival at the start of episode 10 is Goland's clone, probably meant to take his "father's" place.

As for the suicide bombs seen in episode 9, they have been dead since the attack on Planet 11, much like Redrauz. Gatlantis seems capable of reviving their victims and then controling them. How this works is yet unknown. But it does raise some interesting questions. The biggest one at the end of chapter 3 is if Saito was actually killed after Nagakura's shuttle took off, and is now one of those undead, with Zordar waiting to activate him when the time comes. This theory comes from the fact that all he saw during the second Cosmo Wave was a dark shadow that resembles Zordar. But it might just be a misdirect. A lot of questions to be answered in the next instalments.

4 hours ago, westfall said:

From what's been gathered on a few blogs, the deal with the Gatlanteans in this version is...

Hide contents

they're a race artificially created by some long gone civilization. Yep, much like the Zentraedi in Macross, they were made for war. After their masters disapeared (either on their own or by the Gatlanteans hands, it's still unknown), they set out to spread their view of Love. Their perception on love and other feelings is much different of our own, they may not even grasp some concepts, as Zordar tells Dessler that he wants him to teach Gatlantis the true meaning of "obsession" by giving him a chance to seek vengeance on his ultimate prey, Yamato.

Another point is that all Gatlanteans are clones and apparently there are no females. How Sabera fits into that particular plot point is still unknown. She's either not a true Gatlantean or she's an aberration (maybe like what happened to the Moclans in episode 3 of The Orville). As an example, the young boy seen sparring with Zavival at the start of episode 10 is Goland's clone, probably meant to take his "father's" place.

As for the suicide bombs seen in episode 9, they have been dead since the attack on Planet 11, much like Redrauz. Gatlantis seems capable of reviving their victims and then controling them. How this works is yet unknown. But it does raise some interesting questions. The biggest one at the end of chapter 3 is if Saito was actually killed after Nagakura's shuttle took off, and is now one of those undead, with Zordar waiting to activate him when the time comes. This theory comes from the fact that all he saw during the second Cosmo Wave was a dark shadow that resembles Zordar. But it might just be a misdirect. A lot of questions to be answered in the next instalments.

Is there a real-world analogy for this 

Spoiler

The Disposable Hero's = War Clones

angle?

Any place to download the dubbed versions? hoping to get my young daughter into this.  How far along with the dubbed versions are they?  At what rate are they coming out and is there going to be an eventual Bluray release?

6 hours ago, wm cheng said:

Any place to download the dubbed versions? hoping to get my young daughter into this.  How far along with the dubbed versions are they?  At what rate are they coming out and is there going to be an eventual Bluray release?

Yes, but I doubt I can share the sites here. You should find them easily enough with a Google search, though. They're releasing an episode every wednesday night. No news yet about a Blu-Ray release of this version.

Edited by westfall

On 11/15/2017 at 10:30 PM, wm cheng said:

Funimation is releasing the official dubbed episodes online every week.  You need an account with them to view the newest ones, but they'll release the episode to the general public in 1 or 2 weeks.  Currently they've done up to episode 2.  No news on the bluray yet.

Edited by skaianDestiny

:D

The Yamato 2202 official site finally updated the character and mechanics pages, though amusingly they left out the Dreadnought.

http://yamato2202.net/character_mechanic/
http://yamato2202.net/character_mechanic/index2.html

Here's the mechanical pages.  Character pages whenever I feel like.  The usual Google translate disclaimers apply.

img_mecha_10.png

Two type space maneuvering armor
A small humanoid mobile weapon invented by Space Cavalry Saito at the beginning, a mechanism simpler than the aircraft was able to produce short term at Yamato Ship Inner Factory. Armed with cannon cannon built in both arms, pulsed laser cannon equipped on both shoulder, has hard parts in each part that can be equipped with aircraft weapons. Fly with the high power thrusters on the back, you can move the ground at high speed with the crawler travel unit at the tip of both legs.

img_mecha2_1.png

Space Fighting Fighter DWG 262 <Zwarke> Embassy Dedicated Specialized Machine
Gamirasu's resident military officer, Klaus Keeman's special aircraft. Characteristic of being given a pattern of gyamiras style on the platinum body. In addition to normal weapons, special explosives (EMP torpedoes that generate electromagnetic pulses) were installed. We joined Yamato heading to the Terrazato star, and we decided to act together.

img_mecha2_2.png

Neu Deausura
Based on the core ship escaped from Deusura II in the final phase of the game against Yamato, the destructor ship built with Gatlantis. In addition to Desuller cannon, it is equipped with a material transfer system [Instant substance transfer machine], and it can suspend a large number of Gorland gigantic missiles with electromagnetic pylon equipped on the ship's bottom. Moreover, it has a stable wave control institution which is not influenced from any space, and it is the existence which it can be said that it is also an alter ego of Deserr, exceeding the categorization of the existing aerial vessel.
Length:
730 meters (excluding front armor plate)
Weapons:
90mm quadruple positron beam turret x 7
330mm triple positron beam turret x 4
torpedo launch tubes x 13

img_mecha3_8.png

Needle slave
An autonomous miniature weapon made by copying the mechanized soldier skills obtained from Gamirasu scientific slaves. Deform from flight form to semi-human type ground battle form, and perform interpersonal · objective attack with needle gun equipped in both cup parts. In the form of a dagger-like flight, it is attached to the aircraft's bomb rack and transported, as well as the torpedo launch tube can be injected. The back of the detachable armor plate at the bottom of the aircraft is a beam reactive armor capable of bouncing enemy positron energy.
Main weaponry:
three triple needle guns × 2

So it's quite obvious the Neo Deusura has a lot more weapons than shown.  Unfortunately given its length (730 meters without the front armor plate, whatever that means), it's unlikely we'll get a 1/1000 model.  Bandai's probably not gonna make another Zoelguut-length model that's also wider, to my forever disappointment.  Maybe we'll get a better idea if/when they release the mechanics art book.

Dengeki Hobby has some bigger preview images from the 2202 website: http://hobby.dengeki.com/news/485199/

The Neo Deusura's shown to hold 15 "Gorland missiles" on the underside just as the info page said, so that's a pretty hefty armament especially when it can SMITE them right into your face.

Speaking of which, upon closer inspection those Gostok swords are also part mace, since it looks like it has a hexagonal structure from the front.  Glad we see the Gostok carrying different armament, though not exactly what I was expecting.  The sword-maces more or less double the Gostok's length, and presumably use the usual missiles as propulsion if it's meant to be launched.

I don't know why, but the mechs hitching a ride on the Cosmo Tiger II booster is amusing.  I don't think that's how they're usually meant to be transported.  They also seem to be mounting Cosmo Tiger II missiles on their back

Edited by skaianDestiny

On 11/13/2017 at 6:51 AM, westfall said:

Hide contents

Spoiler

I'm going with Sabera not being Gatlantean considering that she does have an entirely different skin tone that all the others that we have seen. Plus, she also has pointed ears, whereas all the other Gatlanteans we've seen all have rounded ears like humans do.

Looked over at Funimation and they have 3 episodes of 2199 online so it looks like the whole series will be available at one time when they are done.  I think I'll be signing up soon.  I watched the first episode with the english dub and it isn't bad.  Hopefully my extra cash will convince them to do 2202...

Yeah, I signed up a couple weeks ago too. I’m really liking the Dub. The actors don’t sound like children or the standard 80’s voice actors that all sounded similar...Voltron, Robotech, ect. Hopefully when the series is finished it will be availble as a digital purchase that won’t require the monthly subscription to view. Either way, it’s been great watching it in English. I own all the Japanese Blu-Ray’s and while I did enjoy it immensely, it is nice to just enjoy the splendid animation without having to read to follow along. I agree with Dynaman, hopefully increased sales will prompt them to get 2202. Reading the comments after each episode people, who never heard of it or new about it as a remake, seem to be really liking it. Hopefully news of it will spread. ;) 

Chris

• 2 weeks later...

maybe.... but I'm sure the suits insisted on the Andy Head Dress simply because it was cheaper to made a bridge tree mold than a entirely different main body mold :/

16 hours ago, Dynaman said:

Stresses from maneuvering still apply, even in zero gee.

Structural integrity fields borrowed from Starfleet?

On ‎12‎/‎7‎/‎2017 at 4:56 AM, myk said:

Structural integrity fields borrowed from Starfleet?

Ahhh. Just a bunch of Red Shirts doing DC work with straps and wooden I-Beams...

A question: where were you able to find this concept sketch of an alternate Andromeda carrier? It's a very nice design and the front deck struts and some of the other shapes remind me a bit of IJN Shinano from the very end of WW2. There aren't a lot of books with Yamato concept work other than the two big books for Yamato 2199 (which are very nice) and I really hope some more will start to appear, hopefully with more of the "new" Earth ships. There's the "Hyperweapon" book from back in 2012(?) which had few pages with a "Musashi" that looked interesting (really different command section of the central "citadel") and some stuff of the "super" Andromeda ships and "Noah" flagship but very little else. Thank you very much for posting the sketch:). Definitely would like to have seen a big model of this version, although the suggested lowering of the launch deck on the new "canon" Apollo design would make a nice model too...

On 12/6/2017 at 1:37 AM, skaianDestiny said:

So a carrier based on Andromeda wasn't something new to 2202, all the way back to the planning of Resurrection in 1993 there were designs for it.

10374875_667462320021160_667082008086100

IIRC this was done by Kobayashi.  Do you prefer this version or the one we got?

Oh, this one, definitely!! I never liked the 'top hat' design, as it looks so ungainly and out of balance. Plus, I wouldn't call it a dedicated carrier, and thus loses out as obvious trade-off would have to be made between the battleship and carrier missions. I can see it done, as a way to separate it for some reason from the main hull, and as a way to normalize construction between the super battleships and the carrier variants, but it's just so unattractive to me. But this one...

I've had thoughts of doing only a Borodino as carrier, but now I may have to make future plans for an Andromeda, just from that alone.

The box art for the 2202 Gamilas Warships set has been released.

DQkdpGVVwAAx914.jpg:large

Looks sweet as always.

Also some other things:

66280101_p0.jpg
コレジャナイメカ
Those new mechs in vintage style.

DP8rN8UUMAEsZP_.jpgDQHQG34VwAENR01.jpg
Source 1
Source 2
Dreadnought in Gaiderol colors.  Not half bad!

DPhUfILV4AA53b7.jpg
DPjgRvLVoAAHJ9y.jpg
DPjhgzlUQAIssoz.jpg
Source
Someone modded an Andromeda into an Arcadia.

Edited by skaianDestiny