Well Kyp, thanks for the interesting stats.   You know, you just helped resolved a minor plot hole I saw on the first episode.

Remember how that Gatlantis dreadnought shook off the two shots from Andromeda and went to warp, then simply getting blown away by the Yamato's main guns?

You basically explained why:

Andromeda:  40.6 cm triple-barrel convergent compression type shock cannon x 4

Yamato: 48cm triple-barrel positron shock cannon x 3

Position shock cannon > convergent compression shock cannon, and if that didn't convince you... Yamato is at 48 cm vs tiny Andromeda (only 40.6 cm)  No wonder, Yamato's are bigger.... so big...  :p

But I wonder if may be the Andromeda is only designed around the WMG, and the shock cannons were an afterthought, not designed particularly to engage directly in ship to ship combat.  WMG the mess, then send in a different set of ships (smaller) to clean up the mess.

"Extensive remodeling by Sanada was pushed forward by this stressful decision, including refurbishment of the Wave-Motion Gun."

Ah ha, so Sanada was the bastard that was key in breaking the promise to Starsha... he figured, "I never liked that bastard Okita anyway.  And as for Starsha, she's in another frigging galaxy, forget her."

It seems to me that Yamato's tool box has more tools in it than Andromeda, and yes, I did note that Yamato's guns are bigger and of a different energy type as as well. What's really interesting is the factory that has been built inside Yamato, I'm betting it's a spare parts replicating factory, possibly using some kind of Star Trek like replicating technology.

The whole Wave Motion gun agreement to me is a bunch of idealistic, naive bullshit. If it were me, I would have made that promise with my fingers crossed behind my back. I don't blame the earth government one damned bit. It's a nasty world out there, there's bound to be belligerent people out there with very powerful, similar weapons out there. And without the WMG technology, earth would be left pissing in the wind facing similar weapons with nothing to counter it.
In other words Sanada is the only one amongst the crew with a rational, logical take on reality. Good for him I say, and damned lucky for rest of the crew and by extension, earth as well, whether anyone else realizes it or not.

***EDIT*** It seems that Yamato's toolbox isn't bigger than Andromeda's after all:

Two-wheeled wave wave implosion radiator (commonly known as a diffuse wave gun) 

40.6 centimeters tripletary convergence Compression type shockwave turret × 4 units

Rapid fire torpedo launch tube x 4 gates

Gravity piece spread launcher × 4 units 

Small torpedo launch tube × 8 gate 

Four consecutive anti-ship grenade projectors x 2

Subspace torpedo launcher x 4 units 

Short torpedo launch tube 

Multiply mounted missile launcher x 16 units

Protection Shockfield Gun × 3 units 

Six side-by-side ray guns for proximity battle x 2 units 

Aircraft pulsed laser turret × 4 

Diffusion type anti-aircraft pulse laser turret x 1 

Mounting machine / equipped boat 
1 style space battle attack <Cosmo Tiger II> or 
99 Expression space battle attack machine <Cosmo Falcon> × 36 aircraft

100 type spatial reconnaissance aircraft x 2 

Space general purpose transport machine SC 97 <Cosmo Segal> × 2 machine 

Two internal boats

Edited by Kyp Durron

I guess Capt. Yappy does have another expression other than bemused smirk... That was a lot of rapid fire from those guns...

40 cm is just so....   small.  Can't even feel it.  That was essentially the message Yamato was giving out.  Wait until you see the 48 cm, or the 18 incher, it will just make you squeal.  You don't understand until you are on the receiving end.  Just ask that dreadnaught that saw the 48 cm bad boy.

I like the subtle historical nod though, if they only named the Andromeda New Jersey or Iowa, it would be fitting irony.

10 hours ago, TehPW said:

I guess Capt. Yappy does have another expression other than bemused smirk... That was a lot of rapid fire from those guns...

That definitely caught my attention. Less powerful, but a much higher sustained fire rate. In other words, quantity over quality. Yamato's main guns may not have a high fire rate, but usually, they only need to hit once. Not only that, they can switch ammo type from energy to artillery shells too. Pretty confident the other ships in the EDF can't do that. 

Edited by Kyp Durron

If we take real life example for a moment, the 18.1" guns of the Yamato was t not considered that much of an advantage compared to the 16" mounted on the USN battleships.  But that was due to a variety of other reasons including the availability of radar, better crew, higher speed, superior damage control, etc, pretty much everybody thought that the New Jersey would've wiped out the Yamato if they ever went head to head.  I'm sure the ghost of Ching Lee is still sad at the fact that Halsey took his fast battle ship group out of San Bernardino straits, and robbed the gunline of the last great battleship fight in history. 

But that said, I did quite like the rapid fire on the Andromeda.  And I would venture to guess if a similar battle of Saturn were to happen, the Andromeda's main guns would rapidly rip apart the Galatantis Dreadnoughts.  After all, logic and consistency has no place in anime.  :p

By the way, did the Andromeda have fighters?  Was there a reason they weren't launched?

Edited by kalvasflam

On 7/25/2017 at 2:57 AM, Kyp Durron said:

This is going to be a bit of a read, but these are my honest thoughts on the changes now that I've slept on it and have given them serious thought. They were absolutely correct in what they did, and infact, I will explain exactly WHY these changes had to be made.

That's nice explanation and all, but it still doesn't change the fact that this new Yamato looks like pregnant whale...

:unknw:

5 hours ago, Kyp Durron said:

That definitely caught my attention. Less powerful, but a much higher sustained fire rate. In other words, quantity over quality. Yamato's main guns may not have a high fire rate, but usually, they only need to hit once. Not only that, they can switch ammo type from energy to artillery shells too. Pretty confident the other ships in the EDF can't do that. 

Supplemental materials say they can.

7 minutes ago, treatment said:

That's nice explanation and all, but it still doesn't change the fact that this new Yamato looks like pregnant whale...

Face it, you wouldn't have noticed otherwise if someone hadn't pointed it out, especially on-screen.

27 minutes ago, kalvasflam said:

By the way, did the Andromeda have fighters?  Was there a reason they weren't launched?

Andromeda has 36 fighters, the Dreadnought-class has 15 fighters.  They probably didn't launch because they weren't trying to sink Yamato, just scare them off.

Edited by skaianDestiny

14 minutes ago, treatment said:

A pregnant whale that can whoop butt... I don't know about you, but I'd rather let it be known that I was beaten up by a lean mean fighting machine than a pregnant looking ship... can you imagine the embarrassment?  

Ship 1: Wow, what happened to you, look at all those bruises.

Ship 2: I got beat up by this ship that looked like it was pregnant.

Ship 1 ROFL.

Ship 2: It was the Yamato, dammit, it was the Yamato.

Ship 1 (after ten minutes): you got beaten up by a pregnant Yamato... snickers, and then falls back on the floor laughing.

8 minutes ago, skaianDestiny said:

Andromeda has 36 fighters, the Dreadnought-class has 15 fighters.  They probably didn't launch because they weren't trying to sink Yamato, just scare them off.

I wonder how and where those fighters are stored, and how they are launched.  36 fighters are a lot of fighters for a BB, is the Andromeda supposed to be modeled after the Ise and the Hyuga.... well, why not, after all, the Yamato is like that, just no flight deck.

Edited by kalvasflam

12 minutes ago, skaianDestiny said:

Face it, you wouldn't have noticed otherwise if someone hadn't pointed it out, especially on-screen.

I'm the one that pointed it out, and I wouldn't have noticed it if I hadn't gone back and compared it directly to the 2199 1/1000 model. It's not that much wider at all, really. They widened the bow and engine nozzle equally to maintain the ratio. On screen from what I've seen, it looks well balanced so I really don't get where others are getting this " it looks pregnant" thing from. :unsure:

55 minutes ago, kalvasflam said:

I wonder how and where those fighters are stored, and how they are launched.  36 fighters are a lot of fighters for a BB, is the Andromeda supposed to be modeled after the Ise and the Hyuga.... well, why not, after all, the Yamato is like that, just no flight deck.

Same as the Yamato.  The 1/1000 models of the Andromeda and Dreadnought have an aft ventral hanger door.

1 hour ago, kalvasflam said:

A pregnant whale that can whoop butt... I don't know about you, but I'd rather let it be known that I was beaten up by a lean mean fighting machine than a pregnant looking ship... can you imagine the embarrassment?  

Ship 1: Wow, what happened to you, look at all those bruises.

Ship 2: I got beat up by this ship that looked like it was pregnant.

Ship 1 ROFL.

Ship 2: It was the Yamato, dammit, it was the Yamato.

Ship 1 (after ten minutes): you got beaten up by a pregnant Yamato... snickers, and then falls back on the floor laughing.

Ship 1: That'll learn yah. Never a good idea to hit on pregnant ships...

Ship 2: Dammit!

:bump:

On 27/07/2017 at 7:36 PM, skaianDestiny said:

Same as the Yamato.  The 1/1000 models of the Andromeda and Dreadnought have an aft ventral hanger door.

If they launch like those of the Apollo-Norm, then the ventral hatch must be to retrieve the fighters, as they would launch from the lateral domes. Each houses 6 launchers. Personally, I think it looks a bit ridiculous, especially the rate of launch of the fighters.

5 hours ago, westfall said:

If they launch like those of the Apollo-Norm, then the ventral hatch must be to retrieve the fighters, as they would launch from the lateral domes. Each houses 6 launchers. Personally, I think it looks a bit ridiculous, especially the rate of launch of the fighters.

The hell are you talking about?  The Andromeda and Dreadnought launch and retrieve fighters the same way as the Yamato, ie through the ventral hanger door.  Are you implying that the Yamato launches her fighters from the side hanger doors even though they don't even connect?

Apollo Norm and her sister have all their planes in the big hanger everyone makes fun of.  They have 12 openings, so they can launch 12 fighters at a time.  Andromeda, Dreadnought, and Yamato can only launch one at a time.

I really don't see what's so challenging to understand.

On 29/07/2017 at 10:44 PM, skaianDestiny said:

The hell are you talking about?  The Andromeda and Dreadnought launch and retrieve fighters the same way as the Yamato, ie through the ventral hanger door.  Are you implying that the Yamato launches her fighters from the side hanger doors even though they don't even connect?

Apollo Norm and her sister have all their planes in the big hanger everyone makes fun of.  They have 12 openings, so they can launch 12 fighters at a time.  Andromeda, Dreadnought, and Yamato can only launch one at a time.

I really don't see what's so challenging to understand.

Have you even seen episode 5?! Guess not. If you had, you would've seen what the hell I'm talking about. 

Apollo Norm launches fighters from the top hangar and from the side domes. They slide out and have 6 launch tubes pointing up and 6 more pointing down. So that's another 12 tubes. That makes a total of 48 launch tubes.  Given that aside the massive hangar on top, they're the same as Andromeda, there's a chance Andromeda has the same lateral launch system.

As far as Yamato goes, I haven't implied anything. Didn't even mention it in that comment.

So far we haven't seen either Andromeda or any of the Dreadnoughts actually launch fighters so I don't know where you're getting the idea that they launch them from the ventral hatch.

Maybe you should actually see the episodes before becoming confrontational and getting in people's faces. 

Here's a visual aid.

https://imgur.com/APhzTWG

31 minutes ago, westfall said:

Have you even seen episode 5?! Guess not. If you had, you would've seen what the hell I'm talking about. 

Apollo Norm launches fighters from the top hangar and from the side domes. They slide out and have 6 launch tubes pointing up and 6 more pointing down. So that's another 12 tubes. That makes a total of 48 launch tubes.  Given that aside the massive hangar on top, they're the same as Andromeda, there's a chance Andromeda has the same lateral launch system.

As far as Yamato goes, I haven't implied anything. Didn't even mention it in that comment.

So far we haven't seen either Andromeda or any of the Dreadnoughts actually launch fighters so I don't know where you're getting the idea that they launch them from the ventral hatch.

Maybe you should actually see the episodes before becoming confrontational and getting in people's faces. 

Here's a visual aid.

*Looks at image*

Wow.

9f11d7f6.gif.4444515b98693e11f4bf5b39102ab3c1.gif

7 hours ago, westfall said:

Here's a visual aid.

The model sheets for both Andromeda and Dreadnought lack any mention of side bulge launchers, and considering how thorough those are, I doubt they have them.  In fact, the description for the ventral hanger states that it's for the launching and retrieval of planes and description for the side bulge on both Andromeda and Dreadnought state they're the housing for the missile launchers, so it's far more likely that the side bulge launch mechanism is unique to Apollo Norm and her sister.

LWpUAZ8.png

Side bulge:
Multiple missile launcher—A missile launcher equipped with a total of 16 units on both sides.

Ventral hatch:
Ship's opening for arrival and departure—Arrival and departure hatched for on board aircraft.

miLPVFs.png

Side bulge:
Short torpedo launch tubes—Short torpedo launch tube equipped with 12 gates on both sides

Ventral hatch:
Aircraft/internal boat arrival and landing—Landing and launch for onboard aircraft and internal boats

Note that the panels to the left and right of Dreadnought's ventral hatch are likely the opening for the internal boats similar to Yamato's.

Edited by skaianDestiny

15 hours ago, westfall said:

Neat images, thanks.  I haven't seen the latest ep yet, definitely looking forward to it.  Hmmm, those are old style fighters, right?

Wow, that's a lot of fighters those things can launch all at once.  Very nice.  48 fighters at once; or almost at once.  The image seems to indicate those carriers have multiple storage sites for the fighters.  

Oh, one other thing I noticed, the sides of the carriers extend out when launching, so those launch tubes on the side of the ships are not normally uncovered

Edited by kalvasflam

Nice, skipped through it, can't wait until we get a subbed version.

Gatlantis dreadnaught line up gun felt kind of silly, one just has to hope they never face a real combat situation, because if they do, they're never going to line up those ships fast enough before Andromeda tears them a new one

All that fire power, and this is what we get out of it?  Weird.

On ‎7‎/‎31‎/‎2017 at 6:24 AM, Kyp Durron said:

*Looks at image*

Wow.

9f11d7f6.gif.4444515b98693e11f4bf5b39102ab3c1.gif

yeah, that was some cool sh*t. going on with that sub-class of Andy-class. and perhaps impractical (where is the AA mounts if they are NOT those hips mounts?) bbbbad to have such a weakness...

1 hour ago, TehPW said:

yeah, that was some cool sh*t. going on with that sub-class of Andy-class. and perhaps impractical (where is the AA mounts if they are NOT those hips mounts?) bbbbad to have such a weakness...

You also have to wonder why the hell do the latest and greatest (Andromeda class) have older versions of the astro fighters. It wasn't as if the newer versions didn't exist in quantity already, I would assume there were plenty of those types still available on the moon.  

I can't wait till the subs come out.

Edited by kalvasflam

• 3 weeks later...