Interesting that the term Star Blazers is on that preview. Otherwise it is all Japanese - is this an American version somehow or are they really sticking that on the originals somewhere?

Ever since they presented the series title and logo, the Star Blazers designation has been there. It's been said in interviews that the decision was made to replace the english bit of the 2199 logo, which read "Space Battleship Yamato" with this because that's the title with which most of the western audience knows the original.

So who nekkid kneeling chick again? I know her name from Star Blazers but who is she in the 2nd season of SBSY?[/quote

Teresa of Telexart. I hate that we have to wait 'til march, but hopefully amazon will pit the whole series up for pre-order, like they did with Delta.

Interesting that the term Star Blazers is on that preview. Otherwise it is all Japanese - is this an American version somehow or are they really sticking that on the originals somewhere?

It reminds me of the Voyager BD release. Everything was the same, right down to the artwork and the subtitles. The only thing that was changed was the direct translation of Uchu Senkan Yamato. Voyager opted to ignore that completely and use the international title: Star Blazers.

As much as that sort of decision seems trite and political to me, I won't really mind as long as the English text is tiny and doesn't get in the way of the cover art. It will be even less of a deal if the show is treated as well as 2199 was. ;) Based on the preview, I have high hopes.

Edit: too slow for westfall... :lol:

Edited by technoblue

Is this going to be a sequel to Space Battleship Yamato 2199? or is it an re-imagining or something?

the teaser threw me off with an appearance by Yamato's captain. I have no idea who the naked broad was.

It's a remake of the 1978 movie Saraba Yamato and the parallel TV series Yamato 2. They basically told the same story (the war against Gatlantis) with a few variations but had vastly different endings. They've said they're going to incorporate certain plot elements from both the movie and the TV series versions.

The woman in the footage is Teresa. She's a significant character in the plot. Check YouTube for Star Blazers: The Comet Empire. Manga Entertainment still had that up legitimately the last time I checked.

I wish it wasn't tacked on...Voyager Entertainment (or whoever was responsible for the half assed Stablazers 2199 release) really dropped the ball.

IMHO it's not even needed.

The problem lies with Voyager's wrongful assumption that the nostalgia level for Star Blazers among people who watched it in their childhood is as high outside of Japan as it is for Space Battleship Yamato inside Japan. That and since they have the Hollywood Star Blazers film in the works, they want to tie it all under one franchise name.

Edited by Analyser809

It's a remake of the 1978 movie Saraba Yamato and the parallel TV series Yamato 2. They basically told the same story (the war against Gatlantis) with a few variations but had vastly different endings. They've said they're going to incorporate certain plot elements from both the movie and the TV series versions.

The woman in the footage is Teresa. She's a significant character in the plot. Check YouTube for Star Blazers: The Comet Empire. Manga Entertainment still had that up legitimately the last time I checked.

Thanks for clearing that up!

Oh heck yeah...Yuki Mori will be the first to get the SH Figuarts treatment for Yamato 2202. :)

A 1/1000 Andromeda plamo is also in the works. :)

post-31-0-75112800-1473121870_thumb.jpeg

post-31-0-46078400-1473121878_thumb.jpeg

post-31-0-28585500-1473122163_thumb.jpeg

Edited by UN Spacy

Apparently Amazon Japan is listing volume 1 without subtitles. Hopefully that's an error.

Have you got a link for that listing? I can't find it anywhere and that's searching in both romaji and katakana. The notices that all these items were going for preorder 10:00AM Sept. 6 JST disappeared off the site by this morning, and Yamato Crew isn't listing them yet, and neither is CD Japan.

They didn't announce English subtitles this far out for 2199, so it might be announced later. We have to steel ourselves for the possibility that, given they apparently have international release plans this time around, they may not put subs on the Japanese Blu-Ray discs.

Keep in mind though, that they didn't announce English subs on the 2199 Blu-Rays until March 2012, less than a month before the first Chapter premiered in Japan. By that logic, we may not get an announcement about English subs until January.

Edited by Analyser809

Have you got a link for that listing? I can't find it anywhere and that's searching in both romaji and katakana. The notices that all these items were going for preorder 10:00AM Sept. 6 JST disappeared off the site by this morning, and Yamato Crew isn't listing them yet, and neither is CD Japan.

They didn't announce English subtitles this far out for 2199, so it might be announced later. We have to steel ourselves for the possibility that, given they apparently have international release plans this time around, they may not put subs on the Japanese Blu-Ray discs.

Keep in mind though, that they didn't announce English subs on the 2199 Blu-Rays until March 2012, less than a month before the first Chapter premiered in Japan. By that logic, we may not get an announcement about English subs until January.

That's what I'm betting on too.

https://www.amazon.co.jp/gp/aw/d/B01LLBECE6/ref=ya_st_dp_summary

Oh heck yeah...Yuki Mori will be the first to get the SH Figuarts treatment for Yamato 2202. :)

Finally. A Yuki of my own to pose as I see fit... :ph34r:

It reminds me of the Voyager BD release. Everything was the same, right down to the artwork and the subtitles.

I don't think the subs are the same. I remember watching a preview of the first episode of the Star Blazers 2199 release and the subs were entirely different from the ones on my Yamato 2199 Vol 1 BD. And of course on top of that they changed Yamato to Argo, which I don't really mind but it is distracting when the characters are clearly saying Yamato.

Otherwise. frakk YEAH! COMET EMPIRE! FINALLY!

Edited by GabrielV

I don't think the subs are the same. I remember watching a preview of the first episode of the Star Blazers 2199 release and the subs were entirely different from the ones on my Yamato 2199 Vol 1 BD. And of course on top of that they changed Yamato to Argo, which I don't really mind but it is distracting when the characters are clearly saying Yamato.

Otherwise. frakk YEAH! COMET EMPIRE! FINALLY!

Odd. I thought someone here had waited to pick up the StarBlazers 2199 disks and said the subs were the same. Curse my fuzzy memory if I got that wrong, but I went with the Japanese release, myself. I'm thinking of going that way again for 2202. The price was comparable and it was easier to pre-order and get the nice slip cases.

As far as I know from people that owned the discs the subs are the same on Yamato and Starblazers 2199. What GabrieIV might be thinking of when he mentions the preview is the one off Voyager did for their panel presentations at cons.

That's probably it. I had presumed it was a sample of the subtitles on the discs. I recall not liking the way they did the subtitles for what I saw, so instead of double dipping and buying Star Blazers 2199 BDs, I just finished out my original Yamato 2199 set.

I remember feeling it was lazy for them to redo the subs, replace all the mentions of Yamato with Argo, and then not bother providing the Star Blazers names for the various characters. If they changed their minds after that and simply went with the original subs, then I think it was for the better.

Somehow, I see a mere repaint of SHF Fujiko for Yuki.

imho, Figma does a better job with anime girls than Bandai SHF.

Nice! Hope a new SOC will be in the works, too!

MOAR ship models and toys........I hope Bandai updates the 1/350 scale model

4543112467492.jpg

It looked great when it was released, but next to Yamato 2199, I think it needs some re tooling.

For those who haven't seen Saraba or Yamato 2... the major difference between them is (SPOILERS)

SARABA = EVERYBODY DIES

YAMATO 2 = SOME OF THEM SURVIVE

Yep. Saraba was a great film but it basically ended the Yamato Saga right there. Most of the main characters die heroically in the battle and in the end Kodai, having no other way to defeat Zordar, basically rams Yamato into Zordar's dreadnought with some assistance from Teresa (why she didn't just destroy him herself is anyone's guess)
When Saraba became a massive hit, they must have asked themselves "what have we done? how do we fix this so we can continue this story?". So they made a second TV series that expanded the story of Saraba but allowed Yamato and some of the main characters to go on, with Teresa taking the destruction of Zordar into her own hands. But mind you, many of the main crew still bit the dust. So even if the new series sticks closer to Yamato 2, there's going to be some tears in the final episodes. My death predictions are:

- Tokugawa - They've already presented his sun, Tasuke, in 2199. He boarded Yamato alongside Chief Yamazaki in New Voyage. So this is a pretty solid bet.
- Saito - Given the role he took in the destruction of Gatlantis, he's another one I don't think they will change

- Yamamoto - Well... this one is not a sure thing. My guess is Shinohara (who was originally meant to be Yamamoto when 2199 entered production) will take her place and crash into Gatlantis' gate instead

- Kato - Given how many other pilot characters they have, and that they brought the character back - his twin brother actually - they might let him live. Given that in this new continuity he's a married man and a father, I ache for Makoto if they decide otherwise

Of course none of the original deaths might take place. This is now a very different universe from the original saga. But Yamato is known for its drama, as well as its high adventure and space battles. So, at this point, its really anyone's guess.

MOAR ship models and toys........I hope Bandai updates the 1/350 scale model

4543112467492.jpg

It looked great when it was released, but next to Yamato 2199, I think it needs some re tooling.

I seriously doubt that they will go with a 1/350 scale of the 2199 version of Yamato, given the size difference. I would be surprised if they went past 1/500 scale. A 1/350 scale 2199 version of the ship would be ~95cm long.

For those who haven't seen Saraba or Yamato 2... the major difference between them is (SPOILERS)

SARABA = EVERYBODY DIES

YAMATO 2 = SOME OF THEM SURVIVE

Yep. Saraba was a great film but it basically ended the Yamato Saga right there. Most of the main characters die heroically in the battle and in the end Kodai, having no other way to defeat Zordar, basically rams Yamato into Zordar's dreadnought with some assistance from Teresa (why she didn't just destroy him herself is anyone's guess)

When Saraba became a massive hit, they must have asked themselves "what have we done? how do we fix this so we can continue this story?". So they made a second TV series that expanded the story of Saraba but allowed Yamato and some of the main characters to go on, with Teresa taking the destruction of Zordar into her own hands. But mind you, many of the main crew still bit the dust. So even if the new series sticks closer to Yamato 2, there's going to be some tears in the final episodes. My death predictions are:

- Tokugawa - They've already presented his sun, Tasuke, in 2199. He boarded Yamato alongside Chief Yamazaki in New Voyage. So this is a pretty solid bet.

- Saito - Given the role he took in the destruction of Gatlantis, he's another one I don't think they will change

- Yamamoto - Well... this one is not a sure thing. My guess is Shinohara (who was originally meant to be Yamamoto when 2199 entered production) will take her place and crash into Gatlantis' gate instead

- Kato - Given how many other pilot characters they have, and that they brought the character back - his twin brother actually - they might let him live. Given that in this new continuity he's a married man and a father, I ache for Makoto if they decide otherwise

Of course none of the original deaths might take place. This is now a very different universe from the original saga. But Yamato is known for its drama, as well as its high adventure and space battles. So, at this point, its really anyone's guess.

Actually, Yamato 2 entered pre-production on the day of the press conference announcing Saraba - the movie and the TV series were being worked on simultaneously. The TV series started only two months after the movie opened and while it was still screening in cinemas.

In Yamamoto's case, I think she's too marketable to kill off now - she was second only to Yuki in terms of the number of figures they released of her.

If they were to kill off anyone, it would likely be:

- Saito - no reason to change things here.

- Shinohara - since he was originally meant to be Yamamoto before they decided to Rule 63 the character;

- Kaoru Nimii - given she's lost the love of her life, I could potentially see her sacrificing herself with Saito in place of Sanada thinking she'd be reunited with Mamoru in the afterlife.

- Hijikata - dies irrespective of whether he's captain of Yamato or captain of Andromeda. While his rank of Admiral suggests he's more likely to be Andromeda's captain, part of me can't help but wonder if he sides with Kodai on the matter of Earth rearming, and is actually in on the rebellious mission to Telezart. One thing's for certain - we're unlikely to find him the sole survivor of a crippled destroyer in the outer solar system.

I think he's a dead man walking for exactly that reason.

• 1 month later...