If they do make changed, hopefully they won't be as drastic as seen in Resurrection.

30db806e04c1c70566d819ec5b11d081.jpg

I would much rather they left her alone rather than do that again.

When you think about it, all she really needs are more gun emplacements.

I'm fairly confident that 2202 will leave Andromeda more or less alone. If there will be any modifcations, it will probably be done tastefully like they did with Yamato. More detail and maybe more greebles.

Resurrection was hard to watch, but can you imagine if Michael Bay got a hold of Yamato?

I'm fairly confident that 2202 will leave Andromeda more or less alone. If there will be any modifcations, it will probably be done tastefully like they did with Yamato. More detail and maybe more greebles.

Resurrection was hard to watch, but can you imagine if Michael Bay got a hold of Yamato?

Forget Michael Bay, it's hard enough imagining Hideaki Anno getting control of Yamato. Thank goodness he was too busy with Gojira to helm 2202.

Edited by Analyser809

Forget Michael Bay, it's hard enough imagining Hideaki Anno getting control of Yamato. Thank goodness he was too busy with Gojira to helm 2202.

that's the guy that has racist leanings in his previous Yamato work?

No, he's the guy that gave us that big mess of WTF better known as Evangelion. Fortunately, his involvement in 2199 was limited to storyboarding the opening sequence and two scenes in Ark of the Stars.

Oh joy the choice of letting Hideaki Anno wreck one of my childhood icons to save another. :(

That would be Yoshinobu Nishizaki the so called "co-creator" of Yamato himself. If you read the production notes on Tim Eldred's site his greatest contribution to Yamato was reading Heinlein's Methusula's Children then approaching the production commitee with the vague idea of some type of scifi space journey. He then left leaving it up to the rest of the crew to come up ideas that he'd choose from at a later date. Production was a mess up untill Leiji Matsumoto was brought onboard and more or less became the driving force behind everything we know Yamato to be.

What was Nishizaki's contributions since then?

Kill the crew blow up ship repeat ad naseum.

Blue Noah knockoff show

Get arrested for guns & coke possesion.

On release from jail fight for control of Yamato.

Halfassed remakes where kill crew blow up ship happens.

Live action remake where kill crew blow up ship happens.

Die himself leaving his adopted son in charge.

2199 and 2202 happens.

Oh joy the choice of letting Hideaki Anno wreck one of my childhood icons to save another. :(

That would be Yoshinobu Nishizaki the so called "co-creator" of Yamato himself. If you read the production notes on Tim Eldred's site his greatest contribution to Yamato was reading Heinlein's Methusula's Children then approaching the production commitee with the vague idea of some type of scifi space journey. He then left leaving it up to the rest of the crew to come up ideas that he'd choose from at a later date. Production was a mess up untill Leiji Matsumoto was brought onboard and more or less became the driving force behind everything we know Yamato to be.

Blue Noah knockoff show

2199 and 2202 happens.

Wow, that's quite the resume.

Thanks for the scan!

I wonder if there are any changes or upgrades from the original.

Yeah I can't tell from those scans...

Blue Noah knockoff show

2199 and 2202 happens.

Nishizaki wasn't really involved in the live-action movie.

Edited by Vifam7

Blue Noah knockoff show

2199 and 2202 happens.

TU, mate. straight & on point. (and you think Macross has baggage...)

Blue Noah knockoff show

2199 and 2202 happens.

What about Yamato 2520?

• 1 month later...

Those first two pics re: Musashi. Not exactly what I'd imagined, but still cool nonetheless to see Yamato's sister ship depicted somehow in the universe (I'd always imagined that it it were to ever be done, Musashi would look nearly identical to Yamato, with very sublte differences, just like the last days of IJN Yamato and IJN Musashi).

Would be cool to see Shinano done as well.

Lol, who knows.....

Also, I think I asked this before, and I think someone may have even answered before, but does anyone know what ever happened to this display?

http://ourstarblazers.com/vault/giantyamatomodel/

Was it dismantled and destroyed or preserved in a museum or private collection?GiantYamatoModel01.JPG

Never noticed the guns on the back of the tower:

GiantYamatoModel22.JPG

They almost look like Phalanx CIWS guns

Edited by peter

• 3 weeks later...

Giving this thread a bump....awesome model I found online:

yamato_dry_dock_collage_by_enc86-d90qyj9

More interesting points.....being a gun guy, I love how the animators paid close detail on shooting techniques:

Sby-2199-ep-25.jpg

instead of the 70's style of shooting from the hip or not even looking down the sights.

Also found this nice ship size comparision between original IJN Yamato and Yamato 2199:

http://www.hobbytalk.com/bbs1/99-science-fiction-modeling/418269-bandai-star-wars-kits-47.html

As for the Yamato in Yamato 2199. The Space Battleship Yamato was built from the remains of the IJN Yamato.

The shows creators made the spaceship the same size as the original battleship.
But what wasn't taken into account, was that they changed a bunch of proportions of the ship and thereby making some things of the original ship, now not the right size. One thing being the size and spacing of the main guns.

Here are a couple images to illustrate the point.

http://i744.photobucket.com/albums/xx88/ClubTepes/IMG_4890_zps3czslev6.jpg

This one shows both the IJN Yamato and the Space Battleship Yamato, both depicted at the same size of the actual Yamato, 263 meters.

Note that the main guns are not spaced the same.

I took this image, broke them into two separate images and loaded them into lightwave, where I created cylinders to represent the main gun barbets so that I could enlarge the image of the SBY to match the barbets of IJN Yamato.

http://i744.photobucket.com/albums/xx88/ClubTepes/Yamato%20-%20Yamato_zps1opdwqv1.png

The result, is a ship size that matched what the producers of Yamato 2199 enlarged the ship to, 333 meters.

So I can only guess, that this was likely their reasoning behind the enlargement. Allowing for the more realistic ship size that would allow the 'sets' to properly fit inside a ship that previously was too small where sizes had to be compromised in this computer age.

The result, is a ship size that matched what the producers of Yamato 2199 enlarged the ship to, 333 meters.

So I can only guess, that this was likely their reasoning behind the enlargement. Allowing for the more realistic ship size that would allow the 'sets' to properly fit inside a ship that previously was too small where sizes had to be compromised in this computer age.

That's only partially correct.

The original size of the ship in 1974 was in the region of 333 metres as well. The dimensions of the First Bridge were consistent with a 333-metre length.

In this interview with Yutaka Izubuchi in Great Mechanics DX #20, Izubuchi was quoted as saying:

In fact, it was also set at 333 meters in the original. When I talked to [studio Nue designer] Kazutaka Miyatake about it, the number was written on a model sheet that compared Yamato to Domel’s disc-shaped ship. It was retrofitted to 263 meters after the broadcast finished, to match the original Battleship Yamato.

In another interview with Izubuchi, he reiterated something similar, and either the interview included the image mentioned in the above quote, or Tim tracked it down in his archive and added it to the interview, as seen below:

69511.jpg

I can't find the source where I read it, but I did read it somewhere that the retrofitting of the 263-metre length was Yoshinobu Nishizaki's decree - in his mind it "had to be" the resurrected Imperial Japanese Navy Battleship.

Edited by Analyser809

Very interesting!

When I was little, I always wondered about why the guns never lined up between IJN Yamato and Space Battleship Yamato and how the space version was supposed to fit under the WWII verson.

yamato_comparison.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

So who nekkid kneeling chick again? I know her name from Star Blazers but who is she in the 2nd season of SBSY?

Still Teresa as per the original Yamato series. She, Hijikata, and Zwordar have placeholders in the character section of the revamped website.