Here's Cosmo DNA's update for May 2015. :)

http://ourstarblazers.com/vault/100a/

Someone please tell me I was reading it wrong - international releases will be under the Star Blazers name for this series. Considering how badly they botched the 2199 SB release I don't see how that would work. AT LEAST release the last 2 2199 BDs before announcing something like that...

• 2 weeks later...

An update from Yamato2202.net!

Added to the messages section, illustrations from Makato Kobayashi (who westfall tells me is taking the role of assistant director), Junichi Tamamori, and Taiji Ishizu, who are doing mechanical design.

You're going to want to look at these.

Mind you, I have to admit I'm disappointed at the level of detail of one of them. Looks like it was copied from the stock-standard 3/4 design art from the original series.

Edited by Analyser809

I should've replied to this thread.

So is that a Gatlantis Battleship? I agree about the Yamato sketch, the proportions look off for the 2199 design of the ship, much more Original series, but that is hopefully just due to it being a concept art sketch by hand rather than the CG the actual show uses.

Chris

I should've replied to this thread.

So is that a Gatlantis Battleship? I agree about the Yamato sketch, the proportions look off for the 2199 design of the ship, much more Original series, but that is hopefully just due to it being a concept art sketch by hand rather than the CG the actual show uses.

Chris

I was thinking about the Andromeda. It just looks too much to me like the stock-standard original out of the art design books.

The cannon turrets look like Gatlantis designs though.

In case anyone wants to see what we are talking about here is a screen grab from the link

post-265-0-02807300-1464183243_thumb.png

Chris

Edited by Dobber

I think it would be easier just to post the images. Why no one's done so this far is beyond me.

illust_kobayashi.jpg

illust_tamamori.jpg

illust_ishizu.jpg

Well I did post the 3rd ship in the post just above yours. As for the Andromeda, I did not see that in the link provided, for some reason only the Yamato and the other ship show when I open the links on the page.

Chris

I'm sure the Andromeda will look great when ishe's fully textured and sweeping by with beautiful camerawork. The Yamato herself really didn't look too different from the original, except for some proportion and scaling adjustments. Besides, look at all those doors. Awesome shooty things will pop out of many of them, when needed.

Edited by Kelsain

I'm sure the Andromeda will look great when ishe's fully textured and sweeping by with beautiful camerawork. The Yamato herself really didn't look too different from the original, except for some proportion and scaling adjustments. Besides, look at all those doors. Awesome shooty things will pop out of many of them, when needed.

"Would you like what's behind door number one, door number two, or door number three?"

"This is a trick question, isn't it?"

"Yeah. They're all laser cannons."

"Worst gameshow ever! AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!"

All I'm asking for is another main turret up front, some AA guns and other dazzling EDF unseen weaponry. It is a dreadnought and the flagship of the EDF; it needs to look the part. Hell the Yamato looks tougher than the Andromeda...

The best thing about this series is that it will hopefully lead to SOC Andromeda release. Or at the very least a reissue of the previous release. I've waiting a long time to own one.

I'd say that's about the closest to a sure thing that you can get.

All I'm asking for is another main turret up front, some AA guns and other dazzling EDF unseen weaponry. It is a dreadnought and the flagship of the EDF; it needs to look the part. Hell the Yamato looks tougher than the Andromeda...

That's what I thought as well...

;)

DSCF9731.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

CosmoDNA has been updated with an interview of Yamato 2202's head writer Harutoshi Fukui. Hopefully they're still on track for an early 2017 release. :)

http://ourstarblazers.com/vault/104a/

Fukui: At the moment (February 25), the script is being written for Episode 10. The plot is planned out all the way to the end, so we’re in a stage where scripts are being written in earnest. Anyway, the amount of resources is great. I’m not an animator, but I try to think about things that would be really good and hope the staff will forgive me. (Laughs) Storyboarding is getting underway in parallel, and we’re working hard to release it starting early next year, so please wait and look forward to it.

A little off topic, but the live action Yamato film left a bad taste in my mouth. I seriously hope it gets a remake based on 2199 and 2202.

The characters (yes, I know they're animated characters) don't appear over the top with emotions all the time, unlike their live-action counterparts.

Plus the ship doesn't get nuked at the end, still not sure why they decided to blow it up.

Anyway, back on topic, really looking forward to 2202. I think I've watched 2199 4 or 5 times now and it would be nice to have something new :)

Lots of images of Yamato in various states of disrepair coming up:

099a05.JPG

star-blazers-2202-kv.jpg

aRZ7xXXHddI.jpg

bhAuakD.jpg

Ceo0qeZWwAE6RLB.jpg

fBFtxHA.jpg

Some really cool imagery but did something happen to Yamato between 2199 and 2202?

Edited by peter

A little off topic, but the live action Yamato film left a bad taste in my mouth. I seriously hope it gets a remake based on 2199 and 2202.

The characters (yes, I know they're animated characters) don't appear over the top with emotions all the time, unlike their live-action counterparts.

Plus the ship doesn't get nuked at the end, still not sure why they decided to blow it up.

Some really cool imagery but did something happen to Yamato between 2199 and 2202?

I seriously doubt they'll make another live-action film. The most important thing the live-action film did was bankroll 2199.

As for what happened to Yamato, who knows? We probably won't know until the series comes out.

Kobayashi has been drawing Yamatos under construction for a long time, even before 2199, so these images might have nothing to do with 2202.

The top row of three and the one marked Rebirth two below it are from Resurrection, but all the others have appeared on the 2202.net page or in Ship's Log, the official Yamato Crew magazine, specifically in articles relating to 2202.

It's probably getting a refit or something. At least a new paint job. That last mission was a doozy...

I seriously doubt they'll make another live-action film. The most important thing the live-action film did was bankroll 2199.

As for what happened to Yamato, who knows? We probably won't know until the series comes out.

That sucks, because the film really didn't go the way I hoped it would, and I'm craving more live-action goodness. A few years ago, there was a pachinko promotional video that was really impressive for what it was at the time.

I really, really love photo-realistic images of uchu senkan Yamato. Another thing that sort of bugged me about it (sorry for continuing to rant) is I felt the main turns moved too fast. 2199, despire it being a cartoon, seems so much more realistic.

Anyway, back to the 2202, one of my favourite weapons are the main gun's Type 3 projectiles. I really hope they don't lose that feature in the refit. The firing effects are just outstanding and I hope there's more of that in 2202.

Just out of curiosity, did they retain the 46cm (18.1in) barrel diameter?

That sucks, because the film really didn't go the way I hoped it would, and I'm craving more live-action goodness. A few years ago, there was a pachinko promotional video that was really impressive for what it was at the time.

I really, really love photo-realistic images of uchu senkan Yamato. Another thing that sort of bugged me about it (sorry for continuing to rant) is I felt the main turns moved too fast. 2199, despire it being a cartoon, seems so much more realistic.

Anyway, back to the 2202, one of my favourite weapons are the main gun's Type 3 projectiles. I really hope they don't lose that feature in the refit. The firing effects are just outstanding and I hope there's more of that in 2202.

Just out of curiosity, did they retain the 46cm (18.1in) barrel diameter?

Since they increased the ship length to 333 metres (which is what the original series Yamato was supposed to be, based on the dimensions of the bridge, before Yoshinobu Nishizaki put his foot down and said it had to be the length of the original battleship Yamato), there was also a slight increase in gun size. The 46cm (18.1") guns were increased to 48cm (18.89") and the secondary turrets from 15cm (6.1") to 20cm (7.87").

Since they increased the ship length to 333 metres (which is what the original series Yamato was supposed to be, based on the dimensions of the bridge, before Yoshinobu Nishizaki put his foot down and said it had to be the length of the original battleship Yamato), there was also a slight increase in gun size. The 46cm (18.1") guns were increased to 48cm (18.89") and the secondary turrets from 15cm (6.1") to 20cm (7.87").

Awesome, thanks for the info!

There are a few modellers out there who have built Tamiya's 1/350 scale IJN Yamato and put it up next to the 1/350 Bandai model....so cool.