The Crystal Skull was at its best when they were on location, doing the period stuff. It was not so good, when they were doing things on set and with CG.

Which is probably why it was a lesser Indy film - the whole point of that franchise was to do things old school. It probably didn't help the franchise that Spielberg exercised his Nazi demons in other films.

All I can say to the people doing the next film: DO IT ON LOCATION. If you're filming a shot in a desert, go to a desert. If you're doing a scene on the outside of a temple, film it on the outside of a real temple. Ad nauseam.

Edited by sketchley

Lol! You know I actually was thinking that too.

Young Indiana Jones Chronicles are canon, meaning Indy lives into his 90s. Though, he does still need to lose an eye.

I could see this being set in Red China during the 60s. Indy going up against a Russian for some ancient Chinese artifact. It would hit big in China, and you know Hollywood goes for that market hard.

Edited by Duke Togo

You don't understand, per his deal with Disney, he is no longer involved. So no, he won't be back.

Yeah I getcha, I'm just making silly jokes based on a possibility. We are still in way early production and things can change quickly. People still have a lot of love for Lucas, I wouldn't even put it past Spielberg to ask for him to come back as just an advisor (this time without Lucas providing some money so he has less say).

Yeah I getcha, I'm just making silly jokes based on a possibility. We are still in way early production and things can change quickly. People still have a lot of love for Lucas, I wouldn't even put it past Spielberg to ask for him to come back as just an advisor (this time without Lucas providing some money so he has less say).

Given Spielberg's experience with Indy 4, I find that unlikely. He fought with Lucas for years over the script before finally giving up and letting George do what he wanted. And, again, Disney is saying Lucas isn't involved.

Next: Blade Runner...

OH NO! Deckard! LOL

Hehe, Ford is systematically killing off his franchise characters, and then.....

Chris

Edited by Dobber

He can't kill off his character yet because he hasn't had a hug scene with his love interests from temple of doom or last crusade yet.

Every time Harrison Ford goes back to an old franchise these days they have to bring in the actress from the old movie and at least give him a hug and maybe a smooch. They may even try to do it with blade runner😏

Indiana Jones without Nazis as the main bad guys only worked in Temple of Doom. The Russians as bad buys failed in Krystal Skull. Red Chinese bad guys would fail in any new Indy installment and more importantly wouldn't be "PC" for Hollywood these days.

In fairness, Stalin's commies were a perfectly viable enemy, they were let down by the script.

In fairness, Stalin's commies were a perfectly viable enemy, they were let down by the script.

In all likelihood they'll use them again. The question is where? China seems like an obvious place given their distaste for Russians, a near endless amount of history and mythology to tap, and, of course, it's s major market for movies. $$$

I liked the Tsoukalos angle, although it could have been done better. With our ties to China, I highly doubt it'd be seen favorably to villianize them, no matter how close to truth that portrayal may be. China get their 'feelings hurt' quite easily, and they would likely ban the movie, which would cut off a huge chunk of revenue. The Soviets are a much better choice, and I don't think Russia has really moved that far beyond its past, or at least they don't pretend like it didn't happen.

In the next installment, I think it'd be interesting if Indy was pursuing an a secret parcel that the Cosmonauts retrieved from the moon. Could be alien, or Space Nazis. Either would float my boat. Just get rid of Lebouf, please.

I liked the Tsoukalos angle, although it could have been done better. With our ties to China, I highly doubt it'd be seen favorably to villianize them, no matter how close to truth that portrayal may be. China get their 'feelings hurt' quite easily, and they would likely ban the movie, which would cut off a huge chunk of revenue. The Soviets are a much better choice, and I don't think Russia has really moved that far beyond its past, or at least they don't pretend like it didn't happen.

In the next installment, I think it'd be interesting if Indy was pursuing an a secret parcel that the Cosmonauts retrieved from the moon. Could be alien, or Space Nazis. Either would float my boat. Just get rid of Lebouf, please.

No no, not China as the bad guys; China as the locale. Russians are still the bad guys.

No no, not China as the bad guys; China as the locale. Russians are still the bad guys.

To be honest, I think the production team should avoid that setting. It could end up opening a can of worms that would cause no end of troubles. There's that military conflict between the two countries that reached its peak in 1969... right in the time period that Indy 5 would be set (given the precedent set by Indy 4: the time passage between productions mirroring the passage of time in movie, or vice-versa).

Not to mention that the odds are that they'll be making a wrong depiction of the setting (for every Hollywood movie that depicts historical China correctly, there's a dozen that don't).

I'm not saying that it's a bad setting. Just something along the lines that "The Mummy 3" already tried to do 'Indy in China'...

The problems between the two countries is why I think it works and would sell in China.

We've been to South America twice and we've been to Africa twice. We've been to Asia once. Maybe not China, but I think that's the place to be.

• 4 weeks later...

Producer says Harrison Ford will be the only actor to play the character.

What about River Phoenix, Sean Patrick Flanery, George Hall, and Corey Carrier? And Ford is inching to George Hall's age. There isn't much time left on Ford's clock.

What about River Phoenix, Sean Patrick Flanery, George Hall, and Corey Carrier? And Ford is inching to George Hall's age. There isn't much time left on Ford's clock.

And once he dies, they'll wait a few years to "be respectful", and then remake Raiders of the Lost Ark with a new, hip, young Indy. .

Real friggin' shame about River Phoenix and I remember when he died too. If it wasn't for his stupid death with a drug OD he could of been what Leonardo Dicaprio or Brad Pitt is today. River also could of been the young Indy we're looking for too. Kids, don't do drugs.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...

From Sky News:

And, according to Spielberg, it won't be the final chapter on the series. 

"Harrison keeps himself in such brilliant physical shape that I think Harrison is going to be able do a lot of what the script is asking him to do," Spielberg said.

"The one thing I will tell you is I'm not killing off Harrison at the end of it."

4 hours ago, Dynaman said:

Connery was offered a role in the last one and did not want the job.  He says he is retired and seems to be sticking to it.

Well, poo...

No I don't mind them killing him off pre-Crystal Skull.

Edited by Thom

22 hours ago, Dynaman said:

If Harrison Ford keeps making these eventually he will be digging himself up out of the ground.

Made me laugh out loud. Have a cookie!