Hasegawa Gerwalk VF-1D and SDF attack mode

Major Tom

I can imagine it going something like "You know I spent all this time putting my thoughts into words in this thread and the next thing you know POOF! It's gone! I wish the mods would at least have the decency to let me know they deleted my post. Oh...wait....it somehow ended up in another section of the forums...nvm carry on". :p

Can't wait for the storm attack mode. Need to figure out some lighting to make the main guns charging up or firing. Like that Jacob's ladder NZEOD posted or those lighting effects.

Edited by wmkjr

Ever since that custom was posted, I've seen a ton of people emulating the technique. And they look pretty good. One guy did an an Optimus Prime. But there was even a girl that painted herself as different cel shaded anime characters. Can't believe it took this long for some one to introduce it. Pretty cool style.

Its been out for years with Warhammer 40K stuff

TerminatorONEsmall.jpg

IMG_9889.jpgimg4ae024121097f.jpg

131349-Chain%20Gun,%20Chrome,%20Non-Meta

Its an older technique that was used to emulate metallics without using metallic paints. The end result came out looking very good but very Cartoonish. Its also used to emulate the back glow and reflection off screens and weapons like power swords. Its fallen out of favour in the last few years but was amazing for how well some could blend in the colours.

There is a bit more info on it here. http://www.bugmansbrewery.com/topic/28395-nmm-a-myth-or-is-it-reeeal/

Another good tute site for getting your Anime look (Referred to as NMM - Non Metallic Metallic Technique) is http://tutofig.com/painting/metallics/nmm/

Edited by NZEOD

Very true - I saw some of the warhammer magazines a few years ago, for the first time, and could have sworn they were all drawings. After opening up the magazine, I started to realise they were all painted figures. Very impressive but certainly a very specific "look" to them that isn't always the best in terms of realism.

Lots of very good things one can pick up by learning how to do this sort of thing though. My approach is to learn how to do many things so that I've got the best opportunity to employ something when the need arises. However, I tend to be more of a "jack of all trades, master of none" in my endeavours...

I used to paint figures many years ago under the Asylum Art Label to pay for Varsity before I joined the Bomb Squad. So many techniques forgotten now!

http://www.animeherald.com/2014/11/26/youre-looking-gundam-model-not-anime-cel/

There was also a hyper-stylized model I saw back during my days on Hobbyfanatics that took this to the nth degree. It went beyond the shading techniques here; proportions were highly exaggerated in order to achieve a very specific look from a very specific angle. I forget the source, it was years ago, but it was definitely something worth seeing.

damn that messes with your head looking at it. The longer you look at each photo, the more your mind convinces you its a 2D CEL and not a 3D physical object!

• 3 weeks later...

It's interesting that the GB tree is identical except for the chunk taken out of lower main body part to accommodate the longer cabin.

2MA5wZm.jpg

Hasegawa seems to have far less fancy switches/pins built into their molds like Bandai does for removing/replacing blocks of the mold.

There is a bit of flash and mold lines all around the replace main body part

6a8AYFY.jpg

tDDsTW3.jpg

However, those kind of artifacts seem to appear not only around the replaced parts but all over the various trees. I kinda want to guess that Hasegawa doesn't make whole trees as a single block. Both spark erosion and machining are expensive, right? So instead of making a whole ~30cm by ~20cm chunk of metal they maybe make a bunch of smaller blocks and bolt all of them together for a final mold? Maybe their machines have a smaller working volume? Anyone have insider knowledge? On the bright side it seems to help to easily recycle kits like we have here with the D.

It's also presumably cheaper to make, package and ship the entire A tree instead of incorporating the 5 tiny parts on it into a new tool.

I wonder when my pre-order at HLJ will ask for payment.

Edited by TMBounty_Hunter

That's interesting, TM. I never would've noticed that!

Mine's on pre-order so any day now. I can't wait until they get around to doing the movie TV version of the SDF-1 Attacker. It probably won't be released until next year...

Edited by Milo

I can't wait until they get around to doing the movie version of the SDF-1 Attacker. It probably won't be released until next year...

More like June 11th.

This is pretty cool. We get a crapton of spare parts, including an extra TV-pilot :D

That's excellent - I'm surprised they didn't just remove the pilot since it's a separate sprue. On the other hand, however, I'd actually like to see this kit include two TV pilots so I could model a VF-1D other that 102 in its "final hours".

I didn't preorder this kit because in getting ready to move, but I'll definitely put one in the HLJ private warehouse when they get them back in stock.

On a side note, I noticed that HLJ is showing several discontinued Hasegawa kits as due back in stock in July, including the VF-1A/J/S fighter kit.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Nice! Just need it back in stock at HLJ and I'm sorted.

I've been checking back periodically and was surprised today to see that HLJ is listing the VF-1D Gerwalk as discontinued:

http://hlj.com/product/HSG65832/Sci

I'm not sure they ever listed any as in stock, just preorders. I'm guessing they'll probably get some back in eventually, but it seems strange (unless they really sold that well and Hasegawa ran out of them). Might have to check Amazon...

i was hoping it would be around a little longer, but thanks for that link. just picked one up.

Thanks for the CD Japan tip - I just ordered one. Would have liked to get two, but I have some competing purchases at the moment! To be honest, I'm not sure that I need to VF-1D Gerwalks, but I usually like to have a spare kit in case I ruin one. I threw in the first two issues of Macross the First to make up for it - been wanting to check it out.

Yep, Starship Modeler is out too. Almost bought it there on Saturday, but had to think about adding in something else. Missed out.

So, a few others have wished for an extra TV pilot, so they could build it in it's glory days before Hikaru junked it. If anyone wants to build theirs WITHOUT Hikaru & Minmay in the cockpit, and doesn't plan on using the resin figures, I'd be willing to trade my Gerwalk TV pilot + shipping for just the seated figs. I do not have any need for the standing Minmay.

Just throwing this out there, as I'd hoped to put together a little Zentradi reveal diorama some day.

I'll also make a thread in the WTS/B forum.

Cheers!