Max Factory 1/20(!) VF-1S/A Hikaru

Renato

3 hours ago, electric indigo said:

A dirty but cheap solution would be to print one decal in white and then place the separate color decal on top of that, doing the registration by hand.

Yep, that's an option, too. Comes with it's own set of challenges. Generally works better for larger designs, but you have to make absolutely sure that there are no air bubbles or wrinkles in the decals after application and that you get everything aligned perfectly. It also doubles the thickness of the design you're putting on the surface, so it might stick out more. As @MechTech said, it's nice to see some affordable options out there.

HLJ is now showing the Normal and DX versions of the decals as in stock. Estimated release date was August, and they just barely made it (last business day of the month). I'm hoping this means that the armament and fighter mode kits will actually be released next month, but my wallet wouldn't mind a slight delay. For those of you who bought the decals, especially the DX set with all of the Skull Squadron markings on it, I'd love to see a picture of what they actually look like. There were many things missing from it--in the preview pictures--when compared to the original sticker sheet that comes with the gerwalk kit.

Edited by Anasazi37

On 8/29/2019 at 8:37 PM, Anasazi37 said:

For those of you who bought the decals, especially the DX set with all of the Skull Squadron markings on it, I'd love to see a picture of what they actually look like.

I only bought the "normal" set, but here it is at 600dpi.  ^_^

6 hours ago, tekering said:

I only bought the "normal" set, but here it is at 600dpi.  ^_^

Much appreciated! Comparing your scan to the preview image on Max Factory's website, the only differences I see are in the lower left corner. All of the designs are still there, but the section was reorganized a bit. Not sure why they had to do that, maybe something related to their printing method. Makes me think that the DX set will be very close to the preview image, meaning that stuff will be missing.

I'm still hesitant to finalize my set for the Fighter mode kit until I actually get my hands on it and look at the sticker sheet. Since the official decals are advertised as working for both kits, I don't anticipate any differences, but I'd rather play it a bit safe. That reminds me: I also need to make decals for the armaments.

• 2 weeks later...
10 hours ago, TMBounty_Hunter said:

https://www.goodsmile.info/en/releaseinfo

Super/Strike Valk is listed as shipping out on the 18th

And the armament set, too!

Now I have to prepare my wife for *another* very large Plamax box showing up at the house. She might hurt me this time.... :vava:

Edited by Anasazi37

35 minutes ago, TMBounty_Hunter said:

Just pretend you're carrying the first one out of the house then bring in the second one as if it's the same one :P

That could actually work. I recently set up a model building and toy customization space in the garage, so I could carry the first one out and stash it there, then bring the second one in and say that I decided to keep it in the house after all. She'll know something's up when both get built, but this plan could buy me at least a year....

HLJ charged me for the weapon pack and the super fighter overnight last night,  FYI to anyone who has it on order there.

I was considering canceling because I am currently sort of broke but will need to sell a few things to cover it i suppose.....

Edited by mslz22

51 minutes ago, mslz22 said:

HLJ charged me for the weapon pack and the super fighter overnight last night,  FYI to anyone who has it on order there.

I was considering canceling because I am currently sort of broke but will need to sell a few things to cover it i suppose.....

Same here. My wife woke up before I did and happened to be looking at our credit card accounts over breakfast. As I was making coffee she asked, "what did you buy?!" So much for my plan of convincing her that I only had one 1/20 by taking the Gerwalk kit out to the garage and then walking back in with the Fighter kit, saying that I changed my mind and wanted to keep it in the house. I threw a smoke bomb and ran out of the kitchen.

19 minutes ago, Anasazi37 said:

"what did you buy?!"

Worst question to get first thing in the morning.  I had a bunch of stuff pop up on the statement on the once a month time that my wife looks at the credit card statement and had to justify $500 in purchases.  I now use that conversation every time a box comes in the mail..."Remember we talked about the big purchase last summer, that was pre-order for this time..."

12 minutes ago, Darth Mingus said:

Worst question to get first thing in the morning.  I had a bunch of stuff pop up on the statement on the once a month time that my wife looks at the credit card statement and had to justify $500 in purchases.  I now use that conversation every time a box comes in the mail..."Remember we talked about the big purchase last summer, that was pre-order for this time..."

I say exactly the same thing! She no longer looks at me skeptically when a box from Japan shows up and I say that the item was pre-ordered and paid for six months ago. Especially after seeing what I went through during the last few rounds of PO madness for the 1/48 DX valks (frustration, lack of sleep, etc.).

On 9/19/2019 at 4:28 AM, 007-vf1 said:

Come on Max; Bring us the 1/20 Strike Battroid!!

Would be pretty crappy if the Battroid ended up being a giant statue like Gerwalk and the arms and legs were fixed in position.

I'm planning to do another run of decals for those who are interested. I don't anticipate that many (or any) changes will be needed to accommodate the Fighter kit, but will double-check when mine arrives. I will be making decals for the Armaments kit, too. According to the Max Factory site, it only comes with stickers.

My colossal missiles have arrived!  :D

colossal.thumb.jpg.7d10681fd210b508d4c6e2ab53908da0.jpg

The box is surprisingly large, but the missiles...

massive.thumb.jpg.0a6e2c3f855f3befdfb08b9aee2b153f.jpg

...are indeed colossal!  :o

15 hours ago, Anasazi37 said:

I will be making decals for the Armaments kit, too. According to the Max Factory site, it only comes with stickers.

I'm pleased to report that is not the case.  ^_^

993748040_decals!_.thumb.jpg.0273ea967d5b8f46e5428f89026bd957.jpg

The kit comes with a large sheet of water-slide decals.  :D

1 hour ago, tekering said:

My colossal missiles have arrived!  :D

colossal.thumb.jpg.7d10681fd210b508d4c6e2ab53908da0.jpg

The box is surprisingly large, but the missiles...

massive.thumb.jpg.0a6e2c3f855f3befdfb08b9aee2b153f.jpg

...are indeed colossal!  :o

I'm pleased to report that is not the case.  ^_^

993748040_decals!_.thumb.jpg.0273ea967d5b8f46e5428f89026bd957.jpg

The kit comes with a large sheet of water-slide decals.  :D

Holy cow those are big. I have two sets in my private warehouse at HLJ, was wondering what shipping was going to cost me...now I have a decent idea. Glad to see that decals are included (contrary to what's listed on the Max Factory site). Odd that there aren't white UUM-7 markings. I've always used the Hasegawa Weapons Set as a guide and black markings on dark paint won't show up well:

image.png.a31a1c1631df96cb18e3a00f7a19d442.png

Care to see pictures of the fighter kit as well?

colossal.thumb.jpg.fd39661f7ddaa60ecf6baf7bb38ba8db.jpg

Since most of the runners are identical to the gerwalk kit (including the inaccurate backpack), I've only photographed the unique sprues for this release:

super-specific.thumb.jpg.a0d05c39d8369382e2b3c419089a8f4d.jpg

These leg parts, for example, are obviously specific to fighter mode (specific to legs in fighter mode with FAST pack attachments, in fact).

1359272857_gearbaydetail.thumb.jpg.970b32542424b1139e04099628932495.jpg

The landing gear bays are full of sculpted detail...

1942540289_frontlandinggearbay.thumb.jpg.33c0e2465f0fd9ba6863698ff162fdff.jpg

...but for a kit of this size, it's not very impressive.  <_<

266048482_landinggear.thumb.jpg.395066298e0dbfb5f43bb385b1b2c116.jpg

While the gerwalk kit included an array of stickers representing Fokker's VF-1S (Skull 1), the fighter kit comes with stickers for both Hikaru's VF-1A (Skull 11) and VF-1S (Skull 1) variants.

1660756415_011stickers.thumb.jpg.099084f44267aab97fc820dc37b2e86a.jpg

Anything else you want to see pictures of?

23 minutes ago, tekering said:

Care to see pictures of the fighter kit as well?

colossal.thumb.jpg.fd39661f7ddaa60ecf6baf7bb38ba8db.jpg

Since most of the runners are identical to the gerwalk kit (including the inaccurate backpack), I've only photographed the unique sprues for this release:

super-specific.thumb.jpg.a0d05c39d8369382e2b3c419089a8f4d.jpg

These leg parts, for example, are obviously specific to fighter mode (specific to legs in fighter mode with FAST pack attachments, in fact).

1359272857_gearbaydetail.thumb.jpg.970b32542424b1139e04099628932495.jpg

The landing gear bays are full of sculpted detail...

1942540289_frontlandinggearbay.thumb.jpg.33c0e2465f0fd9ba6863698ff162fdff.jpg

...but for a kit of this size, it's not very impressive.  <_<

266048482_landinggear.thumb.jpg.395066298e0dbfb5f43bb385b1b2c116.jpg

While the gerwalk kit included an array of stickers representing Fokker's VF-1S (Skull 1), the fighter kit comes with stickers for both Hikaru's VF-1A (Skull 11) and VF-1S (Skull 1) variants.

1660756415_011stickers.thumb.jpg.099084f44267aab97fc820dc37b2e86a.jpg

Anything else you want to see pictures of?

Looks nice -- I wonder how long it will take for someone to chop up the legs and make a non-Fast Pack version..

Has anyone who ordered the new super fighter from HLJ had it shipped yet?

I can add it to my cart but they want like 300 for shipping,  last time with the gerwalk it was like 80 or 90.

I sent them a message but have not heard back,  just wondering if anyone else is having an issue.

3 hours ago, mslz22 said:

Has anyone who ordered the new super fighter from HLJ had it shipped yet?

I can add it to my cart but they want like 300 for shipping,  last time with the gerwalk it was like 80 or 90.

I sent them a message but have not heard back,  just wondering if anyone else is having an issue.

Looks like it's a bigger box this time around? Just checked Amazon Japan and even they're asking $300 for the shipping (yes, sold&shipped by amazon).

The Gerwalk wouldn't even ship from HLJ last time until I got a custom quote for shipping -- might be worth hitting up support as the shipping costs were nowhere near that amount via DHL.

It does look like it might be a different shape at least, which can cause havoc with shipping costs..

7 hours ago, Sanity is Optional said:

Looks like it's a bigger box this time around?

A little smaller, actually...

6 hours ago, Mr Jones said:

It does look like it might be a different shape at least, which can cause havoc with shipping costs..

The dimensions are different, correct.

Fighter: 68 x 55 x 37cm

Gerwalk: 72 x 58 x 44cm

1 hour ago, tekering said:

A little smaller, actually...

The dimensions are different, correct.

Fighter: 68 x 55 x 37cm

Gerwalk: 72 x 58 x 44cm

Thanks for doing that for us, @tekering. I was having a hard time believing that the fighter box was larger. When I had my gerwalk kit shipped in early January to the US, this is what HLJ quoted me:

EMS: 15,500 yen
FedEx: 28,713 yen
DHL: 21,820 yen

I can confirm that when you try to ship the fighter kit from your Private Warehouse on your own, the estimate is really high ($327 for me). That's insane.