Max Factory 1/20(!) VF-1S/A Hikaru

Renato

1 hour ago, electric indigo said:

How many liters of paint so far?

just over half of a Vallejo Rattle can "white" and a full can of Tamiya AS-8 Navy Blue

and most of a can of Vallejo matt coat and some gloss coat

Someone's really got it out for you, noel. :lol: I've seen that little red tick bite on dozens of your posts today.

EDIT:

But ditto on the excitement to see the cockpit and interior. I really wish I could afford this kit. Whatever faults it might have, it's still just so. frakking. cool.

Edited by kajnrig

18 minutes ago, kajnrig said:

Someone's really got it out for you, noel. :lol: I've seen that little red tick bite on dozens of your posts today.

Wait. It wasn’t you, Kajnrig? Hahaha! :lol:

Well, what can I say? For sure, these downvoters really like me a lot. And I mean, A LOT. Because it’s just my posts that they’re downvoting. I was actually thinking of changing my profile picture just to threw them off for a bit. Even for just a few seconds.  Because I’m pretty sure they don’t read my posts. :rolleyes: The way I think what they’re doing is just look on the profile picture and downvote away without reading the posts or comment. Maybe they will scrath their head first just to double check my new profile picture before downvoting it. That way, I’m giving them a few seconds first to double-check. Hahaha!:rofl:  What? I can’t have fun like my downvoters? :spiteful:

But to be honest, I’m just being thankful that by downvoting me, I’m giving them the pleasure of being satisfied, content and happy for downvoting people’s post. Because, if they’re not content with my posts, or don’t like me being here and been trying to kick me out in the hopes that I’m getting tired and upset for their downvotes everyday, then I’m sorry my downvoter fans — I’m staying here posting away everyday for the unforeseeable future. 8)

Peace out. :good: 

5 hours ago, arbit said:

What's up with these down votes? Not cool man...

This is a creative section. We don't behave that way.

Thanks for the concern, sir. I do believe that I have myself an anonymous loyal downvoter here. :rolleyes:

Don’t get me wrong though. I’m not annoyed by them. I actually feel proud in a way because they don’t get tired of downvoting any of my posts or comments. It just goes to show that all of it are being recognized by these downvoters. They’re really paying attention on single-handedly downvote just my posts. ^_^ 

• 2 weeks later...

I held off on having HLJ send mine until after the holidays due to the insane shipping cost. When it arrived about two weeks ago, I opened up the box and found *stickers* instead of decals. For a kit this large and expensive, that's an unforgivable choice by Max Factory. They should have provided both, so those looking for a "quick and easy" build and those looking to really take their time with it have what they need. It made me upset enough, because I actually want to build this kit and do it right, that I'm considering creating decals myself. I still have all of my equipment and should have enough supplies left to do a very limited run for folks that are interested. I want to say up front that I don't know what each set will cost, but eyeballing the sticker sheets, I'd guesstimate that it's going to require 3-4 sheets of letter-sized decal paper, so it's not going to be cheap. Since I'll have complete control over the designs, I can probably also offer variants for Hikaru, Max, and Hayao.

The Emperor is most displeased with your apparent lack of progress.

16265931.jpg

Let's keep those WIP pics coming, guys!

Since that bastard GMK made such a gorgeous scratch-built backpack, I no longer found my mods satisfactory... so I had to cut a hole and make a whole new dome for the top:

1181851854_painteddome.thumb.jpg.287b5b348a760356cee7917e90e1c3c0.jpg

I also added a protruding outer edge to the exhaust cover (front), with the distinctive cut-out that's visible on most of the line art.

180438680_Hikaruinspects.thumb.jpg.4f25fb49ce87521a8eda5ba8c1809122.jpg

As suggested earlier, I kit-bashed a bunch of internal pistons and hydraulics using leftover parts from other Hasegawa and Bandai kits...

334042113_internalsWIP.thumb.jpg.4503481d00a1da56e2f4414175bd0340.jpg

...although most of the detail won't actually be visible inside the legs.

visibility.thumb.jpg.65c8f9c45a81ba65038aed2b5940ee27.jpg

Thanks for the inspiration, guys!  ^_^

21 hours ago, Anasazi37 said:

I opened up the box and found *stickers* instead of decals. For a kit this large and expensive, that's an unforgivable choice by Max Factory.

It's unconscionable, is what it is.  If you can make a set of decals for Skull 11, I definitely want one.  

I'm having vinyl masks laser-cut for the U.N.Spacy lettering (since white decals aren't gonna work particularly well on a black or gunmetal surface).  I'm sure I could provide sets for others as well... on an equally limited basis, of course.  8)

Edited by tekering

20 hours ago, Sanity is Optional said:

Well, you can at least skip the stripes, as those are easily paintable and cover a lot of area (meaning decals wouldn't work too well anyway).

I've had pretty good luck over the years with producing decals that can effectively cover large areas, including all of the big ones on these sheets. Granted, they were for 1/55 and 1/48 valks, so I'm in new territory with 1/20. I'll likely try to make them and see how the they look, but yes, it would be good for those who prefer to paint that stuff to have that option, i.e., produce a more minimalist sheet of decals.

1 hour ago, tekering said:

It's unconscionable, is what it is.  If you can make a set of decals for Skull 11, I definitely want one.  

I'm having vinyl masks laser-cut for the U.N.Spacy lettering (since white decals aren't gonna work particularly well on a black or gunmetal surface).  I'm sure I could provide sets for others as well... on an equally limited basis, of course.  8)

I've done a lot of experimentation with putting white-printed decals on top of black and gunmetal surfaces over the years and they usually do pretty well. If you do a single-pass print, they have a *very* slight transparency to them that actually helps them blend in more realistically. If you do a double-pass print, they definitely stand out. Making a 011 shouldn't be too hard--it's a minimal swap of numbers and pilot markings. I want to get the full set done before I start changing things, though, so it might be a few weeks. I'm interested to see how the vinyl lettering turns out. :-)

Quick update on the decal project. I spent a few hours on it yesterday, scanning in the stickers, drafting the "B" sheet, and doing a test print. The color saturation on the black, yellow, and red markings isn't quite there yet. One or two more iterations should do the trick. The black was an easy fix (bad color setting in Illustrator), so now it's the same deep opaque black as the decal numbers (e.g., B1) and the original sticker sheet. Yellow and red are notoriously hard to get right. Yes, those are white-printed skulls and UN SPACY markings. :-)

20190127_081955.thumb.jpg.9df22200be0ec22a29ead7ee6ca0a0fb.jpg

Edited by Anasazi37

Finished drafting the "C" sheet this morning. Still not happy with how the yellow is turning out, will keep tweaking it. The black is spot-on, though. You see the occasional fleck of white in the big designs (everything is white-backed), which is normal and easily fixable with a light dab from a black 005 Micron pen (old trick). I try to take care of that before sealing the designs with Liquid Decal Film. Some of the decals will look a bit different from their counterparts on the sticker sheets (e.g., tailfins) because I'm following the actual cutlines.

The final sheet ("A") is the big one and I won't be able to tackle that until next weekend.

20190127_112148.thumb.jpg.6cd60e6aa14d51a0c90d890815ddeff8.jpg

3 hours ago, Anasazi37 said:

Quick update on the decal project. I spent a few hours on it yesterday, scanning in the stickers, drafting the "B" sheet, and doing a test print. The color saturation on the black, yellow, and red markings isn't quite there yet. One or two more iterations should do the trick. The black was an easy fix (bad color setting in Illustrator), so now it's the same deep opaque black as the decal numbers (e.g., B1) and the original sticker sheet. Yellow and red are notoriously hard to get right. Yes, those are white-printed skulls and UN SPACY markings. :-)

20190127_081955.thumb.jpg.9df22200be0ec22a29ead7ee6ca0a0fb.jpg

I'd be interested in this "B" sheet... I've been wondering if I should just frisket film trace and mask the skull, apollo, and un spacy logo... but decals would be so much easier... once you set up a price I'd like to know

7 hours ago, tekering said:

Since that bastard GMK made such a gorgeous scratch-built backpack, I no longer found my mods satisfactory...

Sorry man - you can blame yourself though. I hadn’t even considered hacking into the kit until I saw what you were doing. 

Lovely feet detail you have going on there!

13 hours ago, tekering said:

The Emperor is most displeased with your apparent lack of progress.

16265931.jpg

Let's keep those WIP pics coming, guys!

Since that bastard GMK made such a gorgeous scratch-built backpack, I no longer found my mods satisfactory... so I had to cut a hole and make a whole new dome for the top:

1181851854_painteddome.thumb.jpg.287b5b348a760356cee7917e90e1c3c0.jpg

I also added a protruding outer edge to the exhaust cover (front), with the distinctive cut-out that's visible on most of the line art.

180438680_Hikaruinspects.thumb.jpg.4f25fb49ce87521a8eda5ba8c1809122.jpg

As suggested earlier, I kit-bashed a bunch of internal pistons and hydraulics using leftover parts from other Hasegawa and Bandai kits...

334042113_internalsWIP.thumb.jpg.4503481d00a1da56e2f4414175bd0340.jpg

...although most of the detail won't actually be visible inside the legs.

visibility.thumb.jpg.65c8f9c45a81ba65038aed2b5940ee27.jpg

Thanks for the inspiration, guys!  ^_^

Holy Moly!!! Your work is sheer awesomeness!!!

6 hours ago, Hikaru1234567890 said:

Does this kit have any poseability?

You can adjust the angle of the wings...  :p

Or, by trimming some of the tabs, you can at least give it shoulder rotation and hinged elbows.  Anything else would require more substantial modification.

Just now, TMBounty_Hunter said:

Max is doing a fancy pre-shaded Gerwalk paint for WF

I'm kinda hoping he just paints it like that.......... I'm diggin' it!