Max Factory 1/20(!) VF-1S/A Hikaru

Renato

I have a suspicion that due to the massive size of the molds needed Max Factory couldn't use their previous maker in China and instead had to go to someone with much larger injection machine. Larger injection machines are usually used for stuff like appliance cases and dashboards, where it's one large part with no spues/runners left attached to it once the product leaves the factory. While those guys have the necessary machines, maybe asking them to do model kit molds with lots of interconnected parts wasn't the best idea.

34 minutes ago, Graham said:

And they went with Gerwalk (the least popular mode) first!!!!!?????

It's a good way to test the market for such a large and expensive model kit, I expect...  If gerwalk sells well, they can safely invest in developing kits of the other modes, too.

I expect Kidz Concept released Minmei as their first Robotech figure for the same reason.

On ‎10‎/‎23‎/‎2018 at 12:11 AM, tekering said:

It's a good way to test the market for such a large and expensive model kit, I expect...  If gerwalk sells well, they can safely invest in developing kits of the other modes, too.

I expect Kidz Concept released Minmei as their first Robotech figure for the same reason.

But.. doesn't that artificially skew your statistics to only represent the really die-hard fanbase?  That's basing your expected production volume on the least popular item. 

Sounds like a really good way to convince yourself that you won't be able to turn a profit on the items people actually want to purchase.

In this case though.. I think production-wise, it might not matter which one they release first.  If they're smart about the design, all the releases can share the majority of the major parts.  If the Gerwalk kits don't sell well, they can probably just repackage the parts with fighter-mode directions, and still sell them.

Edited by Chronocidal

Remember they did announce the vanilla Valk development first. Gerwalk didn't show up until over a year later. Parts breakdown on runners accounted for different modes from the very start and at this point the Valk should be ready to go whenever their contract factory has the capacity as all the design work seems finished.

• 2 weeks later...

Woo! According to the Goodsmile website the vf-1 will be released on the 21st of November https://www.goodsmile.info/en/post/4788/Release+Dates+and+Changes+for+November+2018+Products.html

Two days after I arrive in Japan! ...Sadly I had preordered this monster on CDJapan (well, not too sad cos the price was just too good)

20 minutes ago, milhouse said:

Woo! According to the Goodsmile website the vf-1 will be released on the 21st of November https://www.goodsmile.info/en/post/4788/Release+Dates+and+Changes+for+November+2018+Products.html

Two days after I arrive in Japan! ...Sadly I had preordered this monster on CDJapan (well, not too sad cos the price was just too good)

I'm pretty sure you're going to pickup another one while you're in Japan. ;) 

Wonder how much extra shipping N-Y will ask for this kit (had an estimate shipping charge of Y7300 SAL to be shipped to Canada, so should cover up to 5kg). If gross weight (11.2kg) as per twitter will be followed, SAL rate would be at Y13950. Hoping that they could do away the original brown box since the kit is just 5.5kg.

4 hours ago, Sanity is Optional said:

I'm wondering what the updated prices will look like from CDJ as well.

At least we don't need to worry about whether or not to do combined shipping?

I wonder if Hobby Search shipping estimator would work https://www.1999.co.jp/eng/ems

EMS for 11.2KG is $146

On 11/12/2018 at 9:35 AM, no3Ljm said:

I'm pretty sure you're going to pickup another one while you're in Japan. ;) 

Possibly... possibly :P

1 hour ago, TMBounty_Hunter said:

The worst news to wake up to

https://www.post.japanpost.jp/int/information/2018/1115_02_en.html

It's only a rotating strike, it's not that bad, if only they had waited a week it would have shipped and arrived ;___;

Yeah this affects me too -- whee ... well we'll see what options HLJ has when its in my warehouse.

1 hour ago, Sanity is Optional said:

Nippon Yasan now showing in-stock at ¥30,200

I'm not linking it, because their shipping rates are murder, and you're better off waiting for another vendor.

thanks for the heads-up

can we continue tossing out online shops that still has this listed with reasonable shipping cost.

i am still in the market for one and did not pre-order.   i am located in Canada and know the shipping is going to hurt