Max Factory 1/20(!) VF-1S/A Hikaru

Renato

On 17/02/2018 at 10:09 AM, UN Spacy said:

Gotta be at least $299.

I'd be surprised if it came in under $1,000, though $299 would be niceĀ 

Edited by peter

44 minutes ago, Return To Kit Form said:

I hope not! I think they will struggle to move a model kit (even one this awesome) for $1K. I am keen as mustard for this but I'm not throwing a thousand bucks at it.Ā 

Yeah, and that's not even counting renting a storage space to keep the box.Ā :D

This isn't by wave, it's by max factory...I thk this may be in gundamĀ perfect grade territory or more in pricing, just roughly looking at the amount of plastics involved..

Price aside the hugeness of this is gonna rustleĀ some feathers in the nest...

but as a macross fan, sigh....guess will live vicariously through everyone and see if I can still say maybe...

Well, I'm not really sure if the minimum factory prices are comparable to a large mechanical kit.

If you start looking at their bigger stuff, the Pacific Rim kits were in the 7,000-8,000 yen range, and they're taller than the average Bandai MG. So it's 3-4 times the price of a minium factory figure, but boatloads more plastic.

Then you have the 1/12 Panzer IV, which is 490mm long, 220mm high and 3.2kg packaged weight but still only ~16,000 yen.

Plastic-wise the VF-1 probably has at the minimum double of what the Panzer does.

If we're placing bets on price I'd says 25,000-35,000 yen for just the fighter release. 40,000-50,000 yen for Super/Strike Gerwalk.

After that add the EMS/FedEx/DHL only shipping due to massive size and obligatory customs charges that larger packages have a harder time escaping. Definitely still under one thousand dollary-dos, but still hard to explain to your partnerĀ :p

1 hour ago, TMBounty_Hunter said:

...but still hard to explain to your partnerĀ :p

That's why I'm not buying it. Explaining Arcadia's upcoming Premium Finish SDF-1 is already a burden to explain. :lol:

Ā 

But... if it comes pre-painted like Watanabe-san did, who knows? I rather pay for that one than get the Prime1 Studio's 'Guardian Mode' offering :rolleyes:

Ā 

Edited by no3Ljm

4 hours ago, kajnrig said:

Oh me oh my lol

I really want one but prob wouldnā€™t even be able to start building it for years and years. When did life get so complicated?Ā :lol:

9 hours ago, mslz22 said:

The other thing to consider is shipping cost.Ā  i doubt it will be very heavy but a big,Ā  big box.Ā  HLJ shipping I would guess is $100 or more.

Ā 

Yep and it breaks my heart to have to bail on this one. I just can't justify that sort of money when I can get a good looking VF-1 Gerwalk for a fraction of the cost elsewhere. I had been looking forward to getting this since it came out too.Ā :(

Ā 

-Brett

On 2/24/2018 at 11:03 AM, mslz22 said:

The other thing to consider is shipping cost.Ā  i doubt it will be very heavy but a big,Ā  big box.Ā  HLJ shipping I would guess is $100 or more.

Ā 

Since it's Max Factory Plamax, if it's carried in the Good Smile Company shop, they have a 2000 yen flat rate shipping (EMS). All figures I've ordered from them (a few of them around 6 kg), has been shipped with that flat rate. And good thing with GSC shop, is that if you order multiple pre-order items with different release dates, you only need to pay once for shipping for all the items, as long as you order them in one transaction. So better order from GSC unless other shops have discounts that can offset the shipping or have perks/benefits that you want

Edited by pafy6285

On 2/24/2018 at 7:15 PM, Return To Kit Form said:

Yep and it breaks my heart to have to bail on this one. I just can't justify that sort of money when I can get a good looking VF-1 Gerwalk for a fraction of the cost elsewhere. I had been looking forward to getting this since it came out too.Ā :(

Ā 

-Brett

I'm with you :(... cost of the kit + shipping + all the paint it's going to take to paint this thing + the divorce when the wife finds out what I spent on it.

• 1 month later...
Just now, Sanity is Optional said:

Dear god, almost $400 before shipping?

That's probably going to end up more expensive than my PG Phenex.

indeed...

Ā 

I'm hoping they release fighter-mode or at least a non-gerwalk Strike as stand-alone kits...Ā 

ifĀ we'reĀ going to have to buy a $400 dollar kit and end upĀ leaving large volumesĀ ofĀ plastic in the box, no matter how we assembleĀ it, this'll be a "wait 'till a great deal pops up" item for me...

Welp. I will just wait until the next time I goto visit my Wife's family in Japan... I will bring an empty suitcase...just for this :/

no joke for the price of this kit + Shipping you can buy a cheapo tkt on china airlines from US -> Japan

Edited by Duymon

as for shipping cost, unless they make an exception for this, if this is offered on Good Smile Company online shop, then it would be a flat 2000 yen for EMS. Also, that flat 2000 yen is per order/transaction. So even if you pre-order multiple items with different shipping/release dates, you'll only pay 2000 yen shipping for all of them. So if for example the weapon set is made available in the shop while the pre-order for the kit is still open, then you can pre-order both and just be charged 2000 yen for both (as long as they're ordered thru the same transaction).

Just now, no3Ljm said:

What's wrong with Gerwalk being the first kit for 1/20 scale?

Ā 

I've never payed that much for one kit... it's awesome to be sure, but I'm not ready for one of your .gifs quite yet on this one...:D

Ā 

Personally I'd rather Wait and see if they offer a Stripped-down and cheaper Fighter-mode orĀ a Strike+Fighter-mode... would've expected that or battroid first.

and tbh, I'm a little miffed that for that price they don't seem to have put extra parts in for to parts-form between [the two obvious] modes, or at least to choose oneĀ mode or the other...

This is the price ofĀ 5 of Tamiya's 1/32 Jewels... and I'm not even seeing positional wingflaps, not even an attempt at Yamato's level of detail inside a 1/60 Superpack thruster...Ā 

Ā 

and this means I'm expectedĀ to have to buy 3 of these to get all three modes doesn't it...

Ā 

Ā 

maybe I'm being spoiled by my growing HMR collectionĀ :ph34r:

Edited by slide

On 4/21/2018 at 8:54 PM, idontknow said:

Why Gerwalk first? Why not another mode first?

I guess Gerwalk is the most iconic form? I'd argue that Battroid is more iconic for me but there it is. I'm surprised they actually went with something like Gerwalk which requires probably a bit more engineering than a straight 1/20 fighter mode kit ( which I expected any single-mode kit to be ). With the size it is, I sort of expected single mode since alternate parts that are the right size to maintain proportions in each mode would add up to lots of extra plastic in the box which adds up.Ā 

Ā 

Still that's a lot of cash -- I'd spring for a slightly cheaper fighter mode so I can spend the next 10 years super-detailing it but Gerwalk really says 'action diorama' rather than panels open, repair diorama scene to me -- though there are still possibilities. I hope any low sales numbers due to the price don't stop the other modes from showing up.

Yeah I'd have expected opening maintenance Ā panels and positional control surfaces for that sized kit at that price.

This seems more toy than museum scale model.

Edited by NZEOD

3 hours ago, slide said:

I've never payed that much for one kit... it's awesome to be sure, but I'm not ready for one of your .gifs quite yet on this one...:D

C'mon now. You know that my 'Gerwalk' GIF is very appropriate for this dilemma, right?Ā :p

3J3uglH.gifĀ 

Ā