Jump to content
Renato

Max Factory 1/20(!) VF-1S/A Hikaru

Recommended Posts

was the kit even painted in the video above?  it looks like it was just snapped together without paint application.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, macsam said:

was the kit even painted in the video above?

You obviously didn't watch the video.  Lucky you.  <_<

  • 19:01 "I didn't want to use any paints at all for when I was building this kit." 
  • 19:56 "I didn't want to bust out any paints.  Didn't want to use any paints at all."
  • 22:54 "Nothing on this kit is painted."

That alone should indicate how lazy and amateurish this "review" is, and I suspect he spent as little time making the kit as he did preparing his video.  It doesn't even begin to explain how someone who claims to live in Japan could have such a poor grasp of Japanese pronunciation, however.  Those of us who have suffered through the ADV dubs will recognize the grating sound of "Muh-CROSS," but I'd never heard anyone say "Tuh-MEE-ya" before...  :unsure:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/11/2020 at 11:26 PM, tekering said:

You obviously didn't watch the video.  Lucky you.  <_<

  • 19:01 "I didn't want to use any paints at all for when I was building this kit." 
  • 19:56 "I didn't want to bust out any paints.  Didn't want to use any paints at all."
  • 22:54 "Nothing on this kit is painted."

That alone should indicate how lazy and amateurish this "review" is, and I suspect he spent as little time making the kit as he did preparing his video.  It doesn't even begin to explain how someone who claims to live in Japan could have such a poor grasp of Japanese pronunciation, however.  Those of us who have suffered through the ADV dubs will recognize the grating sound of "Muh-CROSS," but I'd never heard anyone say "Tuh-MEE-ya" before...  :unsure:

I don't know what was worse...the dude saying "Muh-CROSS" or "Gun-DAMN."  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Y'all acting real stupid, making such a big thing about dude's pronunciation of all things.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Dear sweet mother of all mecha...This is just wrong...I can't stand it. Model for 340$! Unpainted! No...please no...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Artoor said:

Dear sweet mother of all mecha...This is just wrong...I can't stand it. Model for 340$! Unpainted! No...please no...

What I was thinking too.  Didn't even clean the parts from where he cut from the sprues, yikes.  What a waste of a very expensive kit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just want to choke this guy out on general principal. Very amateurish video and lazy 13 year old build of an expensive kit.  

 

EDIT: sorry, that was mean to all young boys and girls building model kits.  Most would paint or at least attempt to paint their kits at that age.

Edited by derex3592

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The one positive thing that I got out of the review is that this kit definitely not for me.  I'm actually a bit disappointed in some of the details, or lack there of.

I definitely would not be satisfied with building it as is. 

  • Boosters look too big
  • Head unit detail is brutally lacking and the head lasers on the 1S head look off.
  • Landing gear bays don't look deep enough that they would actually house landing gear.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Image result for Club-M 1/48 VF-1S"

You would think for a kit this size & price, that the details would be equal to the old Club-B Resin kit. 

And I agree with @peter Boosters look way to big and I feel the Skull emblem is undersized. 

 

Edited by 505thAirborne

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I so wish I was better at model painting and finishing.  I would get this in a heartbeat.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The builder for that is KOMATU on twitter, you have to scroll through his photos back to last September for the masking fun:
 

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I preordered the fighter-only kit. Might be a long while before I can build it though. I want to actually paint it and all, not stick it together like a hobo. :mellow:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is this different from the one he built for the Tengu Modelers exhibit in late December?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It seems like it's new tweet from Max, specifically mentioning if a Battroid kit is possible with minimal mold changes. Not really a promise or announcement but still interesting. Maybe he's putting this out twitter because Shizuoka Hobby Show got cancelled.


 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, TMBounty_Hunter said:

It seems like it's new tweet from Max, specifically mentioning if a Battroid kit is possible with minimal mold changes. Not really a promise or announcement but still interesting. Maybe he's putting this out twitter because Shizuoka Hobby Show got cancelled.


 

I think I speak for almost everyone here when I say that (1) I hope only minimal mold changes are needed and (2) I will definitely buy one if they're made. I've already set aside enough shelf space to have all three Strike kits next to each other, done up as Roy. Not sure what I'm going to do with the fighter-only kit, but I'm leaning towards making it a CF.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looking at it as it is now, the arms are straight form the Gerwalk, Super parts are all the same, and legs are maybe straight from the fighter? The big issue is that a completely new torso is absolutely needed but it seems they did think about this long ago and those parts are all isolated to the B runner. If they do decide to keep the existing legs that might be unsatisfactory to some people. If they decide on all new legs that might make it financially not viable to pursue. Oh well I guess we'll see what the future holds eventually.

At the end of the day any Super/Strike kit is still gonna be ~36,000yen and that's ouch...

Honestly I'd still they rather do VF-1D. We know for sure that's only swapping out the body and cockpit parts with no other issue.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I skipped the fighter mode model, but I might be in for a Battroid to go with the Gerwalk.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

VF-1S Roy without the super parts.  At this scale, I think I prefer it without the super/strike parts.

image.png.caab05c04682f4f7d809b69e7ce47dd5.png

image.png.0b352d185967a814cee893652835fea9.png

image.png.0439d22b67718f40244312fbe1a72da4.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Max has officially lost his mind.  He now thinks weathering is camouflage...

...or is it the other way around?  :unsure:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It looks like multilayered black basing - as a shortcut to a finish like that of Shuichi Hayashi jets. A shortcut is a shortcut. Ya, this is a model.

Image

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What happened to this Valkyrie? Burned up a little during atmospheric deceleration or was operating over Ruhra?

As much as I love weathered models , it should be weathered with a little common sense...

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The normal fighter kit is in at HLJ!

But damn... the cheapest shipping option is $139 for standard airmail, and that takes 2-6 weeks to get to the US.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, Valkyrie said:

The normal fighter kit is in at HLJ!

But damn... the cheapest shipping option is $139 for standard airmail, and that takes 2-6 weeks to get to the US.

Lucky you, for shipping to Poland I would have to pay twice the model...no kidding

Edited by Artoor

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Valkyrie said:

The normal fighter kit is in at HLJ!

But damn... the cheapest shipping option is $139 for standard airmail, and that takes 2-6 weeks to get to the US.

I preordered one from HLJ because, unlike every other store, they will try to find a reasonably-priced shipping option for you. For the Strike Gerwalk and Strike Fighter kits, I contacted them and asked for a quote because the automated options in their Private Warehouse were very expensive, and they came back with much lower numbers for FedEx, DHL, and EMS. This is not a new problem for their customer support team--they know the drill now. I haven't contacted them about this kit yet because it just showed up in my PW overnight and their support staff don't work over the weekend. I'll report back with their estimate. I'm going to ask for one based on non-pandemic conditions, i.e., leaving it in my PW until international shipping opens back up. I used EMS for the first two kits and the shipping was "reasonable" (¥15,500 for the Strike Gerwalk, ¥9,840 for the Strike Fighter). Since HLJ is willing to hang onto orders for longer than the usual 60 days, you could use the Strike Fighter number as an estimate, but it will probably be lower because the box for this kit should be smaller and lighter. @tekeringwas kind enough to post the dimensions and weight of the Strike Fighter shipping box, which helped me because I went to Japan Post's site, got an EMS estimate there, and *then* contacted HLJ with that number in hand.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Artoor said:

What happened to this Valkyrie? Burned up a little during atmospheric deceleration or was operating over Ruhra?

As much as I love weathered models , it should be weathered with a little common sense...

 

Roy probably jammed the throttles forward and burned the paint going mach 5 on the deck... you know, just Roy being Himself :D

 

but yea, it's a little stark... probably shoulda put 1 or 2 more really thin coats of white over it to tone it down...

or maybe if she was supposed to be gray instead of white this approach would've come out more subtle.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, Anasazi37 said:

I preordered one from HLJ because, unlike every other store, they will try to find a reasonably-priced shipping option for you. For the Strike Gerwalk and Strike Fighter kits, I contacted them and asked for a quote because the automated options in their Private Warehouse were very expensive, and they came back with much lower numbers for FedEx, DHL, and EMS. This is not a new problem for their customer support team--they know the drill now. I haven't contacted them about this kit yet because it just showed up in my PW overnight and their support staff don't work over the weekend. I'll report back with their estimate. I'm going to ask for one based on non-pandemic conditions, i.e., leaving it in my PW until international shipping opens back up. I used EMS for the first two kits and the shipping was "reasonable" (¥15,500 for the Strike Gerwalk, ¥9,840 for the Strike Fighter). Since HLJ is willing to hang onto orders for longer than the usual 60 days, you could use the Strike Fighter number as an estimate, but it will probably be lower because the box for this kit should be smaller and lighter. @tekeringwas kind enough to post the dimensions and weight of the Strike Fighter shipping box, which helped me because I went to Japan Post's site, got an EMS estimate there, and *then* contacted HLJ with that number in hand.

That sounds great, thanks!
Yea, Y9840 for EMS sounds much better.  And the box dimensions on HLJ show that the Strike fighter is about half the size and weight of this one. 

Actually, this page shows that it should only be Y8000 to ship to North America via EMS.  I'd pay that in a heartbeat.

https://www.post.japanpost.jp/int/charge/list/ems_all_en.html

Edited by Valkyrie

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

just got the email from HLJ, waiting on how much shipping is, glad they will hold it for 60 days, please keep me up to date on shipping also if you find out and final price

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Anasazi37 said:

@tekeringwas kind enough to post the dimensions and weight of the Strike Fighter shipping box

Happy to do the same now, since it's printed on the box...

1767283148_newkit.jpg.292903c2f29f54b38912d19fab944bdb.jpg

...although the weight is slightly more than stated.

correction.jpg.35950238007efad1cdbf78def39a6263.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, tekering said:

Happy to do the same now, since it's printed on the box...

1767283148_newkit.jpg.292903c2f29f54b38912d19fab944bdb.jpg

...although the weight is slightly more than stated.

correction.jpg.35950238007efad1cdbf78def39a6263.jpg

Thanks again, @tekering! This is always a huge help.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Valkyrie said:

That sounds great, thanks!
Yea, Y9840 for EMS sounds much better.  And the box dimensions on HLJ show that the Strike fighter is about half the size and weight of this one. 

Actually, this page shows that it should only be Y8000 to ship to North America via EMS.  I'd pay that in a heartbeat.

https://www.post.japanpost.jp/int/charge/list/ems_all_en.html

Based on the photos @tekeringshared, it looks like the gross weight of the shipping box is 5.45kg. Using the handy price calculator on Japan Post's site, setting Tochigi as the origin and New Mexico as the destination, you end up with ¥9400, which matches what is on that page for price-by-destination-zone. The last time I worked with HLJ on this, I think their EMS price came in a little lower than what I calculated. Maybe they get a volume discount.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...