Jump to content
Renato

Max Factory 1/20(!) VF-1S/A Hikaru

Recommended Posts

I just wanted to check in and give you guys a status update on the decal project. I ran into some quality control issues with the latest test prints of the large format decals last weekend and was able to find a solution this weekend. It's been slow-going due to a lot of work-related travel this month, but the next few weeks are fairly open so I plan to finish up the minimalist set and add the name/number options folks are asking for. I'm also waiting for my large shipment of decal paper to arrive, which should be here any day now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/19/2019 at 7:49 PM, electric indigo said:

They probably could have released the kit two years earlier at half the price if they had skipped the engineering process of these molds...

I have no idea what they were thinking. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/24/2019 at 2:04 PM, Anasazi37 said:

I just wanted to check in and give you guys a status update on the decal project. I ran into some quality control issues with the latest test prints of the large format decals last weekend and was able to find a solution this weekend. It's been slow-going due to a lot of work-related travel this month, but the next few weeks are fairly open so I plan to finish up the minimalist set and add the name/number options folks are asking for. I'm also waiting for my large shipment of decal paper to arrive, which should be here any day now.

Another quick update for you. I finished adding the NO STEP decals for the wings. That ended up being a bit more complicated than I first thought. I had to unpack my kit, pull out the sprue with the wings on it, scan one of those in, and make sure that the text was at the correct scale. I used the 1/72 Hasegawa VF-1S Strike kit instructions as a reference. There are fourteen decals available for each wing. You really only need thirteen, but why not throw in an extra one? I'm also still waiting for my decal paper to arrive. He sent it to my old address, several states away, by mistake.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wow nice, even has the metal landing gears.  I would love a DX chogokin of this hehe.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, sh9000 said:

ABA0725D-A3C7-4AE0-982E-A4C9FCD3F720.jpeg.aa5091c6d160f0333f04bb2ec22a28f3.jpeg

Looks awesome! :good:

Is that Spike inside? ;)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wow, those stickers look like crap.

crap.thumb.jpg.1ec821abb7cbf22b2b73a1bf9b5510cd.jpg

Anasazi37, I'll definitely need multiple decal sets from you!  :unsure:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Photos from Miyazawa Mokei Spring 2019.

o0940070514388236819.jpg.1e566d39810e0fce26c5f0e2df627f09.jpg

o0940070514388236769.jpg.b1d87b23bea42e56c9d39e29ca47cac3.jpg

o0940070514388236797.jpg.058c33715d296777669acd0f0399baca.jpg

o0940070514388236763.jpg.99e2e78d57c0332f2c728b387bf34a9e.jpg

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/9/2019 at 1:54 AM, tekering said:

Wow, those stickers look like crap.

crap.thumb.jpg.1ec821abb7cbf22b2b73a1bf9b5510cd.jpg

Anasazi37, I'll definitely need multiple decal sets from you!  :unsure:

I agree that those stickers look like crap. I'm basically done with the minimalist set, will try to post pictures on Sunday. I'm still waiting on my order of decal paper, which I'm now thinking is cursed. My supplier first sent it to my old address, then the next attempt disappeared into the ether while in transit. He's trying again tomorrow. If his paper wasn't the best, I would have moved on, but I don't want to use substandard materials to make decals for models like these.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/31/2019 at 5:16 PM, sh9000 said:

ABA0725D-A3C7-4AE0-982E-A4C9FCD3F720.jpeg.aa5091c6d160f0333f04bb2ec22a28f3.jpeg

Wait a minute... For a minute there i thought i was on tfw2005 and not macrossworld :P .... jokes aside, that looks really awesome!

I have yet been able to finish my kit... I only worked on the cockpit back in december, and haven't touched it since

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Okay, here is a preview of the minimalist version of the decal set. I took out all of the large designs, but left in the yellow arrows because those are not necessarily easy to paint. I'm still working on the exact layout of everything, but you can at least see what's included right now. I can pare the set down even further, if needed.

minimal preview web.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Anasazi37 said:

Okay, here is a preview of the minimalist version of the decal set. I took out all of the large designs, but left in the yellow arrows because those are not necessarily easy to paint. I'm still working on the exact layout of everything, but you can at least see what's included right now. I can pare the set down even further, if needed.

minimal preview web.jpg

Looks great. Looking forward to getting my hands on a set

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Anasazi37 said:

Okay, here is a preview of the minimalist version of the decal set. I took out all of the large designs, but left in the yellow arrows because those are not necessarily easy to paint. I'm still working on the exact layout of everything, but you can at least see what's included right now. I can pare the set down even further, if needed.

minimal preview web.jpg

That looks about perfect to me. Anything more complicated than an easily masked stripe (like the wings), I'd much prefer to decal.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That looks great for the minimalist Focker set. Are extra pilot names and number going to be a separate set based on demand?
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Sanity is Optional said:

That looks about perfect to me. Anything more complicated than an easily masked stripe (like the wings), I'd much prefer to decal.

The one set of designs I was on the fence about including are the black horizontal stripes on either side of the cockpit. They terminate in points, but they wouldn't be hard to paint if you're good at masking.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, TMBounty_Hunter said:

That looks great for the minimalist Focker set. Are extra pilot names and number going to be a separate set based on demand?
 

I'm not doing a large run of these due to limited printing supplies, so each order is essentially custom. I can add/remove names and numbers, and change colors (e.g., red instead of yellow) as needed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi guys. I am amazed by the craftmanship of the over members.I also had the chance to buy this amazing kit. The problem was that i have limited space in my playroom and so i hacked a cheap ikea lamp for my base!!! It is really steady and also i can flip the model like it's making a turn in midair. Hope you like it.

ikea not.png

2.jpg

1.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/15/2019 at 11:14 PM, Anasazi37 said:

I'm not doing a large run of these due to limited printing supplies, so each order is essentially custom. I can add/remove names and numbers, and change colors (e.g., red instead of yellow) as needed.

Count me in for a set please

 

Darkseidgr; excellent idea..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, darkseidgr said:

Hi guys. I am amazed by the craftmanship of the over members.I also had the chance to buy this amazing kit. The problem was that i have limited space in my playroom and so i hacked a cheap ikea lamp for my base!!! It is really steady and also i can flip the model like it's making a turn in midair. Hope you like it.

ikea not.png

2.jpg

1.jpg

That is nice! :good:

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I received a great suggestion for the decals: add some kind of detail to the cockpit display, which is currently just grey. I came up with two options. The first incorporates a screen capture from DYRL showing the display during the Mars battle at the beginning, the second incorporates a screen capture towards the end of the series showing Misa (seemed like the safest character option). For the second one, there's a lot of red, but that is correct. Thoughts? I might be able to keep all three on the sheet.

cockpit_options.jpg

cockpit5.jpg

cockpit4.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd much prefer a DYRL Misa, myself...

Misa.jpg.0f7895b124bb733879a36bcfb237fab1.jpg

...perhaps superimposed on a tactical display...?

options.jpg.4e5ff418f147cbec51b8585b1ecc5dcb.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/9/2019 at 3:52 AM, TMBounty_Hunter said:

 

any news on when the fighter mode will be released?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I saw a tweet with the fighter and a sign saying 9 - 2019 or 09-19. Can't find it, so nothing but rumor, sorry. And Sept. seems optimistic. If that is the date, it will probably end up releasing in Dec.

It may have been at the Heisei Plastic Model Exhibition, but it seems it was from the Miyazawa model exhibition. Max Factory had a display, but the best I could find is this (I saw a better shot).

D3rK7NHUcAEYtjI.jpg

 

There is also this tweet from Max just showing a delicious shot of the fighter (no date). 

 

D2vRbqyU8AEnj7K.jpg

Edited by Atrial

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, Atrial said:

D2vRbqyU8AEnj7K.jpg

That's too dirty for my taste, but lovely at the same time. :wub: 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, no3Ljm said:

That's too dirty for my taste, but lovely at the same time. :wub: 

 

notice the micromissile launcher is open and you can see the missiles if you look closely

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, tekering said:

I'd much prefer a DYRL Misa, myself...

Misa.jpg.0f7895b124bb733879a36bcfb237fab1.jpg

...perhaps superimposed on a tactical display...?

options.jpg.4e5ff418f147cbec51b8585b1ecc5dcb.jpg

I had that display as an option, too, but it's slightly cut off no matter which frame I grabbed, which is why I went for the other one. That's a good shot of DYRL Misa. I'll see what I can do with both images.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Been a lurker here for years, but finally signed up as I'm very interested in getting a set of your decals.

Still can't believe this kit did not come with decals in addition to the stickers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On 4/19/2019 at 10:57 AM, geck said:

Been a lurker here for years, but finally signed up as I'm very interested in getting a set of your decals.

Still can't believe this kit did not come with decals in addition to the stickers.

None of us can believe it. I've added you to the list of people that I'll reach out to when the sets are finalized (hopefully later today). I'll also post something here.

Edited by Anasazi37

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/18/2019 at 9:20 PM, Anasazi37 said:

I had that display as an option, too, but it's slightly cut off no matter which frame I grabbed, which is why I went for the other one. That's a good shot of DYRL Misa. I'll see what I can do with both images.

Okay, there are now *six* options for the display: blank (the original one), combat scene, tactical scene, tactical scene with DYRL Misa overlaid, just DYRL Misa, and just TV Misa

 

cockpit_options.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The full and minimalist sets are finalized! Preview pics are below. I'm not looking to make money on this activity, and we've already spent so much on the kit and shipping, so the prices are the same as what I used to charge fifteen years ago (roughly $20 per letter-sized sheet of printed decals). The full set takes up a little more than three sheets ($65) and the minimalist set takes up a little more than one and a half ($32). Please PM me with your order, including anything custom that you want. If it's simple stuff like different numbers, colors, and pilot names, I don't think that will cost you more because it doesn't take me long to make those changes. If you want something more complex, we'll have to talk. The limiting factor here is my ink supply, so I don't know how many orders I will be able to fill because I'm trying to keep some in reserve for the fighter kit coming out later this year. I will go through this thread and my existing PMs and make sure that I have accounted for everyone who has already expressed interest and the order in which they did so--just in case I need to put a limit on the print run and have to make some hard decisions about which orders I can fill. Prioritization based on order of interest seems like the most fair approach, unlike the completely broken who-can-refresh-their-browser-fast-enough preorder process for Bandai DX Chogokin valks. My desire is to help everyone, so hopefully it won't come to that. If I do hit my limit, I'm open to tracking down more ink to do another print run, but the sets will likely end up being more expensive as result.

full set preview web.jpg

minimal preview web.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That full set is great, I'm in for one.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...