Max Factory 1/20(!) VF-1S/A Hikaru

Renato

I have a feeling that the price on this will not $400, but maybe closer to the $100 range as a low and maybe around $200 for a high estimate. So far the cockpit looks like two halves with visible detail that needs to be shown. Unless they go with an internal structure it's possible to even be lower than my low estimate, but max factory kits have usually been at the $50 plus range for smaller kits. Then again those smaller kits had moving parts and as far as I know this vf1 is just the fighter mode so moving parts would be minimal.

The closes thing in size we have from Max Factory is the 1/12 scale Panzer IV, which was 14,800 yen.

The 1/20 VF-1 would definitely be more, but probably not $500.

30,000 yen seems like a good upper limit. VF-1 will be almost twice as long but not twice the volume. Add the 3,000-ish yen 1/20 figure to fit with the price range of the rest of 1/20 figures they've released so far. 30k does "feel" about right, but it's still so early we have little to no information about how deep they'll be detailing it.

Just to confirm. Is this a generic VF-1 kit and can be colored and decaled whether you want TV or DYRL versions? I just assumed first that it's DYRL since they also made a DYRL Minmay, correct? But knowing that it's just a naked VF-1 then it can be used for both versions? Thanks in advance. :)

Looks like a DYRL? cockpit.

Still, easy to modify into a SDFL instrument panel, at least.

It's definitely a DYRL cockpit. Flight controls are dead give away.

Agreed, you could easily modify into a TV version!

• 1 month later...

By itself? At the touch of a button? :D

At that scale and with modern RC servos it just might be doable...

Im definitely touching it if it doesn't transform. Transforming equals too many concessions to design with too many gaps, hinges etc they all look ugly to me but I'm having doubts on this now. Is it 100% confirmed its an injection plastic kit?

I've gotta say---they're not using the increased size to increase the detail/"realness" at all. It simply looks like a large Yamato V.2 or something. As in, a 1/20 fighter jet should have much more refined leading edges, intake lips, wing-sweep gloves/gaps, etc. But I'm not seeing any of that there. Everything is "blunt" and unrefined. (and I'm not taking panel lines etc that'll be added later, I'm talking shapes/design)

I've gotta say---they're not using the increased size to increase the detail/"realness" at all. It simply looks like a large Yamato V.2 or something. As in, a 1/20 fighter jet should have much more refined leading edges, intake lips, wing-sweep gloves/gaps, etc. But I'm not seeing any of that there. Everything is "blunt" and unrefined. (and I'm not taking panel lines etc that'll be added later, I'm talking shapes/design)

I agree. Unless this is some really first pass low detail proof of concept model i.e. look how big its gonna be in 1/20 then I'm not sold on the details.

This looks to me like a proof of concept mockup to test the size, scaling, etc. Kind of like the similar models you see of new automobile designs. I would suspect they wanted to show something quickly to get people excited about the sheer size of this huge model. I'm sure the production model will be a lot more refined.

Sold!

I'll need at least 2... hope they're not bank-breakingly expensive....

I feel like this is just targeted at the same type of collectors who like to have 1/18th aircraft to hang from the ceiling. Based on the shape and details, I really don't expect it to transform though, unless it's setup to work as a multi-mode kit that you can assemble in different ways.

This would probably be the perfect scale to attempt a more sturdy version of the true-to-animation leg transformation that Bandai put in its 1/72 kit, but the whole thing is just too huge to be practical, and you're going to need a massively strong internal skeleton to keep everything from drooping.

Aside from the "whoa" factor, this thing is really just too big to display anywhere, and if I was going to spring for such a huge centerpiece, I'd want a fully loaded strike pack set anyway. :p

I feel like this is just targeted at the same type of collectors who like to have 1/18th aircraft to hang from the ceiling. Based on the shape and details, I really don't expect it to transform though, unless it's setup to work as a multi-mode kit that you can assemble in different ways.

This would probably be the perfect scale to attempt a more sturdy version of the true-to-animation leg transformation that Bandai put in its 1/72 kit, but the whole thing is just too huge to be practical, and you're going to need a massively strong internal skeleton to keep everything from drooping.

Aside from the "whoa" factor, this thing is really just too big to display anywhere, and if I was going to spring for such a huge centerpiece, I'd want a fully loaded strike pack set anyway. :p

I hope they don't try to make it transform to keep the cost down.

If I wanted to pay hundreds of dollars for a transforming toy then I would...

Who will be the first crazy or silly enough to hack up into a GERWALK?

Depends on how much it costs I suppose...

Who will be the first crazy or silly enough to hack up into a GERWALK?

I wonder if they ever gave any thought to even partial transformation capability?? even just a legs down half gerwalk!

And yes it would be interesting to see if someone does hack the kit to do that! Or at least now that it has been suggested that someone will actually give it a go!