Between Walküre and Delta Squadron, who's paired with whom? Of course, we all know that Freyja will be partnered with Hayate, but maybe you guys can help fill in the blanks:

Mikumo -

Kaname -

Makimaki -

Reirei - Chuck

Freyja - Hayate

Mikumo - Mirage

Episode 1 seems to indicate as much, when we see Mirage frantically searching for her.

Kaname - Arad

Makes the most sense since they're both the "leaders". Might also play into drama/shipping when it's made noticeable that Messer goes to defend Kaname more often.

Makimaki - Messer

By default

Mikumo - Mirage

Episode 1 seems to indicate as much, when we see Mirage frantically searching for her.

Wonder if the Mirage VF-31 toy will come with both figures, so I can get both of my favorite female characters (so far)...

In the first episode I'm pretty sure it went like this:

Kaname - Messer

Mikumo - Arad

Reirei - Chuck

Maki - Mirage

The only ones we see in the cockpit is Reina with Chuck.

Kaname could either be Messer or Arad. The former is seen to be actively protecting her, however it seems to make more sense to pair the squadron leader up with Walkure's leader, also we see them on what's either the bridge or op center.

Mikumo we see having slipped away from Mirage so it stands to reason that she's the latter's charge.

As for the recharge sequence, it was taken out from the TV size episode after all.

Edited by d3v

Kaname - Messer

Mikumo - Arad

Reirei - Chuck

Maki - Mirage

I just went back and reviewed the scene where the Walkure hop out, the only one we actually see exit a fighter was Reina.

Makina and Mirage are definitely paired (assuming that there is a stable pairing and not just a 'whoever's closest' arrangement). When Makina called for the drones to be recharged, it was Mirage that responded.

I think when it comes to support, the closest pilot would provide support, and it would make sense that the drones would all operate on the same power freq, since to do otherwise would be needlessly complex, and cumbersome, especially since the pilots have their own tasks to perform, and with the members of walkure moving around, that would cause the order to get all jumbled up.

Even in Macross, combat is shown to be chaotic, which I actually appreciate. In reality combat is very chaotic, fireteams get mixed up all the time, and you could end up as a fifth man while your team is down a man, simply because you got caught behind cover too long. So for the sake of being believable, i think that what I said is likely the case.

Kaname could either be Messer or Arad. The former is seen to be actively protecting her, however it seems to make more sense to pair the squadron leader up with Walkure's leader, also we see them on what's either the bridge or op center.

It certainly makes some tactical sense, but then it also doesn't. You wouldn't want to put all your leadership eggs in one basket, since you could decapitate both Delta Platoon and Walkure just by taking out one fighter. The SQDN DCO is never the SQDN CC's backseater afterall... Though I get where you're coming from, since Delta Platoon and the Walkure are technically two different "units"...

Mikumo we see having slipped away from Mirage so it stands to reason that she's the latter's charge.

^^Also, this^^.

Kaname - Messer

Mikumo - Arad

Reirei - Chuck

Maki - Mirage

Based on the interactions in the first episode, I'm going with this lineup too.

Mikumo was interacting with Arad's valk in battle.

Messer was protecting Kaname

Reina came out of Chuck's valk

Makina was the only one left with Mirage

And of course Freya with Hayate

If not only Delta 1 and 2 positions would change if the leaders are paired up.

edit: Didn't see the post above. Makes sense to split the leads up.

Edited by wmkjr

Based on the interactions in the first episode, I'm going with this lineup too.

Mikumo was interacting with Arad's valk in battle.

Messer was protecting Kaname

Reina came out of Chuck's valk

Makina was the only one left with Mirage

And of course Freya with Hayate

If not only Delta 1 and 2 positions would change if the leaders are paired up.

Yeah that's how I understood it from the first episode, and just to add something, Makina interacted with Mirage when she asked to recharge the multi-drones and Mirage was the only one to respond.

I can get behind that lineup, makes sense to me based on what we've seen so far.

Not to derail the discussion, but I haven't seen this mentioned so far on the boards (my apologies if I missed it). About 2/3 of the way through the OP, there is a shot of what appears to be Mikumo curled in the fetal position and submerged in water or some other liquid. This certainly plays into the popular theories that she's artificial/augmented/special. I'm wondering if this image ties into anything we've seen before, though. I can recall anything specific that this might be a call back to, but it's been awhile since I've seen some of the series. Any thoughts?

There's something different about Mikumo that's for sure. I don't think it's a theory at this point. It's a actually specifically mentioned that she doesn't live with any of the others, so I'm assuming that at one point it will be relevant to the plot. Question is of course, what it is about her that's special?

I doubt that it's an intentional connection, but the first thing that Mikumo pose calls to my mind (in Macross) is Sivil in her coma state.

It'd be beyond awesome if there was some parentage there, but I doubt it too.

In Macross Frontier, the main cast shared characteristics with those from the original series. For example, Ranka Lee was based on the TV version of Lynn Minmay while Sheryl Nome was patterned after the DYRL version, Ozma Lee = Roy Focker, Catherine Glass = Misa Hayase, etc. For Macross Delta, which characters from past series do the main cast have in common?

Here's what I picked up so far:

1. Hayate Immelman = Alto Saotome and a little bit of Shin Kudo
2. Freyja Wion = Ranka Lee
3. Arad Mölders = Ozma Lee (as a commander)

4. Chuck Mustang = Ozma Lee (as a Fire Bomber fan)

5. Bridge Bunnies are Bridge Bunnies

It's a little hard to do a direct comparison, because I think the creators have purposely shuffled things in order to not be seen as repeating themselves. That said, it seems clear that there has been a conscious effort to find the things from Frontier that worked so well and generated such a huge new audience while trying to fix some things that didn't work so well.

From that standpoint, while I don't think any of the characters map one to one, I do see:

Hayate = Alto, but less mopey (I see more Hikaru here than Shin, though, as he doesn't seem angry at all, unlike Shin or even Alto for that matter)

Freyja = Ranka, but with more agency and self motivation, cute but no longer moe

Mirage = Sheryl, but with less ego and more self doubt, almost Sheryl + Alto in a way - strong, self determined, but with something to prove

For the rest, it's a bit early to say because we haven't had deep exposure to too many yet, but clearly having a strong ensemble was one of Frontier's selling points and they're trying to bring that about in Delta as well. I expect each of the characters to be given a chance to shine as we go forward and add dimension to themselves. Like Messer enjoying the kids in the OP and the Captain being clearly depicted despite having had almost no lines so far.

I'm still thinking (and hoping) that Mirage and Mikumo are paired, as they are my two favorite female characters at this point, and their personalities contrast but compliment each other, and in the first episode we hear it alluded to that they are paired ("I can't go under cover with her around...").

I still feel that Delta platoon would act in support of any of the Idols, since you can't guarantee that the Idol's assigned pilot will always be close by. That also makes military sense, and common sense, even if it doesn't make the most sense from a drama or storytelling point of view.

It's a little hard to do a direct comparison, because I think the creators have purposely shuffled things in order to not be seen as repeating themselves. That said, it seems clear that there has been a conscious effort to find the things from Frontier that worked so well and generated such a huge new audience while trying to fix some things that didn't work so well.

From that standpoint, while I don't think any of the characters map one to one, I do see:

Hayate = Alto, but less mopey (I see more Hikaru here than Shin, though, as he doesn't seem angry at all, unlike Shin or even Alto for that matter)

Freyja = Ranka, but with more agency and self motivation, cute but no longer moe

Mirage = Sheryl, but with less ego and more self doubt, almost Sheryl + Alto in a way - strong, self determined, but with something to prove

For the rest, it's a bit early to say because we haven't had deep exposure to too many yet, but clearly having a strong ensemble was one of Frontier's selling points and they're trying to bring that about in Delta as well. I expect each of the characters to be given a chance to shine as we go forward and add dimension to themselves. Like Messer enjoying the kids in the OP and the Captain being clearly depicted despite having had almost no lines so far.

Mirage is a female Gamlin.

• 2 weeks later...

Mind you unverified info. Got it from /m/ which I managed to trace to 2ch. Supposedly from a anime magazine.

アニメ誌より

新統合軍で敵を倒すのに馴染めなかった彼女は、偉大な祖父と祖母から

リン・ミンメイの話を聞き、叔母にミレーヌがいることもあり、歌の力を使う

ワルキューレに興味を抱く。そんな時、アラド隊長からスカウトされ、ケイオスにやってきた。

ワルキューレメンバー裏設定

カナメ

過去にアイドルとしてソロデビューしていたが、鳴かず飛ばずで一旦引退し、

ワルキューレのマネージャーとしてケイオスに就職。ところがフォールドレセプターの数値が

高かったためにワルキューレのメンバーとなった

レイナ

ケイオスのネットワークにハッキングして捕まったところ、適性があることがわかりケイオスにスカウトされた

マキナ

一族がメカニック系でその血を受け継いでいる。レイナと違ってアイドル好きで、メカニックとアイドルの

道どちらへ進むか迷った結果、両方の夢をかなえるためにワルキューレに入った

https://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=ja&tl=en&u=http%3A%2F%2Fkako.futakuro.com%2Ffuta%2Fmay_b%2F405869325%2F

From the anime magazine

She did not get used to defeat the enemy with Mirage new integrated army, listen to the story of phosphorus Minmay from a great grandfather and grandmother, there is also that there are Mylene to aunt, interested in Valkyrie to use a song of power. At that time, the scout from Arad captain, came to the Chaos.

Valkyrie members back setting

Kaname

It had been solo debut in the past as an idle, once retired in not fly without languished,

Employment in Chaos as manager of Valkyrie. However, the numerical value of the Fort-de-receptor

He became a member of the Valkyrie for higher

Reina

Was caught by hacking into the network of Chaos, it was recruited to Chaos to understand that there is aptitude

Makina

Family has inherited the blood in the mechanical system. Unlike Reina a favorite idol, the mechanic and the idle

Road result in doubt either to either proceed, entered the Valkyrie in order to fulfill both dream of

Mirage was interested in Walküre prior to being scouted by Arad because she had heard about Minmay from her grandparents and then there was also her aunt Mylene.

Kaname debuted in the past as a normal idol but retired, because she didn't get any popularity. She joined Walkure as the manager but she ended up having a high level of fold receptors so she became a member.

Reina was caught hacking into Chaos and they brought her on because she had the aptitude

Makina has the blood of a mechanic (further leading credence to the likely possibility she's related to the old mechanic from Zero). She likes mecha and idoling and wants to fulfil the dream of both.

Interesting. I got that feeling about Mirage when watching episode two. Something that she said to Chuck about whether the girls in the audition really knew what it takes to perform live in a battlefield. It felt like she had a longing to be part of Walkure.

Interesting. I got that feeling about Mirage when watching episode two. Something that she said to Chuck about whether the girls in the audition really knew what it takes to perform live in a battlefield. It felt like she had a longing to be part of Walkure.

You know, that could be an interesting plot development. I mean, Asami Seto does sing after all.

Yeah. I guess her grandparent's reputation preceded her into becoming a pilot instead, but I think she secretly admires her aunt Mylene more.

Mylene looking younger than Mirage thanks to her genes: How many times I have to tell you Mirage-chan it's Onee-san!

There was some talk in the episode 6 thread about the Arad-Kanme-Messer triangle that I'm going to pull over to here.

Just wanted to say that I don't see anything in the way of romantic feelings between Kaname and Messer. Episode 3 kind of hinted in that direction, but everything since has seemed much more as though she's just doing the same as Arad and trying to get him to open up. Both Kaname and Arad have the 'older sibling' feeling towards the rest of the group, and I think it's just honest concern that we're seeing. They both know something from Messer's past and seem to be trying to help him work past it. I might feel differently if Kaname ever seemed put out by Messer's rejections, but she seems to take them all in stride with no hurt pride or disappointment.

Now, whether there are any romantic feelings between Arad and Kaname is another thing. The bridge bunnies pointed out that there should be, but all I've seen there are two co-workers that know each other very well and have bonded because of it. Like partners more than a couple. Maybe they're just keeping it quiet, but honestly I'd kind of like to see a pair in Macross that wasn't torn by UST and unrequited feelings.

Just my opinion, FWIW.