Bandai 1/72 Scale Transformable Macross Δ Kits

IXTL

On 4/17/2018 at 5:53 AM, chyll2 said:

I thought of this, haha with all the frustration with the DX, bandai better release the Plamo. The color scheme means it will be easier to Straight Build

No joke I would literally sell off my entire DX VF-31 collection to fund a locust swarm of 1/72 plamo VF-31a's

• 1 month later...
On 6/15/2017 at 1:02 AM, Lord_Of_Tetris said:

Aaaaaaaaaaah what have I done. I ordered a Dx Chogokin VF-31 (Messer's colors) despite firmly swearing I wouldn't buy one until HLJ gets them back in stock. All in all, I paid ~$250, which I know isn't a bad price, but it's the most money I've ever spent on one figure.

Heh. You know, the intent really was to use the 1/72 model kit as a cheaper alternative to the Dx Chogokin. Ah well. As I wait 3 weeks for my VF-31 to arrive, I'll hype myself up with the model kit.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaalmost done. 

5942139f7a580_2017-06-1220_46_06.thumb.jpg.5b441bf0e71e6333d3c78f18d49dc6ab.jpg

VERY impressive model kit. All this is the result of the provided stickers, a Gundam marker for panel lines, and very small amounts of paint (for example, I painted the intakes gunmetal gray)

594213a0c17c5_2017-06-1220_46_13.thumb.jpg.6274a983e8184d0cc361f99bb4c92862.jpg594213a3b12bb_2017-06-1220_46_48.thumb.jpg.fff446f934bcdf4c8559f67d5d831206.jpg

Model not 100% finished yet. Still need to build the forearm-mounted guns.

594213a25aafc_2017-06-1220_46_20.thumb.jpg.30621c197bcfcd1770aca75dfb63f369.jpg

Looks good from every angle

594213a55dec5_2017-06-1220_47_26.thumb.jpg.c379ec2f2d76c679b4ab8abd35d9c3b3.jpg594213a6d48f5_2017-06-1220_47_45.thumb.jpg.7e681b1e73fb451d41cfe2ecba241cca.jpg

Painted the landing gear black. Would probably look better if I painted the struts gray or white, but I didn't have the patience. :/594213a99fbbf_2017-06-1220_50_26.thumb.jpg.9e74c917f994532a180b206f2887fa86.jpg

Here it is with the Dx Chogokin 1/60 SV-262. You know, I know these are in 2 different scales, but they look pretty darn good together. I don't even mind that the SV-262 is bigger than the VF-31, as I'm totally fine with the bad guy's jet being bigger, beefier, and meaner-looking than the good guy's jet. And, I grew up watching a cartoon where a police car transforms into a robot the same height as another robot who transforms into an F-15 jet. Scale isn't all that important to me.594213ab3987f_2017-06-1317_37_53.thumb.jpg.e4d0a9f2fcb2e9e1e8b59d0e5df03ba5.jpg

Darn good looking model kit, even with my meager skills. Oh, and you can see that I colored the little Hayate figure using Sharpies.594213ad27c05_2017-06-1317_38_03.thumb.jpg.29221ba557361a9c8038e401da6c2ee1.jpg

After I'm done with the build, I'll finish putting on the stickers. I don't have a pre-set plan for which stickers I'll put on, but I know it won't be all of them. I don't necessarily need to see a hundred "no step" markings, plus, the kit has so many stickers already I'd rather not make such an elegant design look too busy...or like papercraft.

You did a great job- I am going to try this to simplify the decals- assemble the whole kit FIRST then start applying the decals all over it- I know some areas have to be opened/exposed first to apply more decals but could it work?

Edited by spindrift

• 2 weeks later...

Started and build that vf-31 Jun 2017, couple days ago started stickers and finished today(: Not best work, not so accuracy. Stickers, not decals. But anyway i tryed my best and really like that model ^_^

p.s. Little bit more pics under spoiler.

KgjeiCtp3As.jpg

Spoiler

LkpZxhlHXXg.jpg

84HajcIH1JE.jpg

xBxYg7c0dg4.jpg

-kgLvmYCpIQ.jpg

mC9HCqB7VB8.jpg

9Zi2Xhm7wlw.jpg

pGMjfXkUn94.jpg

WAn_iu677I4.jpg

_GbTqQDGbFE.jpg

Edited by SuNDuK

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/2/2018 at 1:37 PM, spindrift said:

You did a great job- I am going to try this to simplify the decals- assemble the whole kit FIRST then start applying the decals all over it- I know some areas have to be opened/exposed first to apply more decals but could it work?

Heh. Wow, has it been over a year since I posted my work-in-progress photos of the VF-31 kit? I actually checked this thread thinking there was news or some new photos of someone's finished kit, I read your quoted post, then I thought to myself, "Hey, whoa, this guy's model kit skill is pretty darn GOOD!" Then I recognized my own tables and realized it was my own post. :P

In the year (wow, time flies) since I posted that, I've finished that kit and built another 1/72 VF-31, this time the Messer custom. I wanted to collect the whole cast, and doing it with the model kits is a ton cheaper than getting the whole cast by way of the DX Chogokin toys.

I still think the 1/72 Bandai VF-31 kit is an underappreciated gem. In every mode and every angle, it looks exactly like the mecha/jet it's supposed to look like. It requires very little part removal or swapping to transform. Building it isn't overly difficult, it just takes a lot of patience because of the many small parts. Compared to EVERY Zeta or ZZ Gundam model kit I've ever built, the VF-31 kit is more durable, has a more-enjoyable transformation, and is generally just better.

But the stickers. Those stickers, man. Probably 80% of the entire surface area of the jet is stickers. A nightmare.

In response to your question: I don't recommend building it first and then stickering. I did it by stickering each piece as I went along. If you tried putting the stickers on a completed model, you'd need to basically perform surgery as you try to very-precisely apply a sticker to a piece you can't really access anymore. Many of the stickers are several inches long and cover several square centimeters. If you screw up by even a few atoms on one end, you'll find that the inches-long stripe is several millimeters off-mark by the time you're done putting that sticker on. Look at it this way: Would you rather be holding an entire jet in one hand and a sticker in your shaking other hand? Or would you rather be holding, say, a leg in one hand and a sticker in the other hand? If you're just holding a leg, an arm, a cockpit, etc, you have more freedom to angle it to your liking.

Oh, and I just ordered a 1/72 SV-262 model kit. I don't really intend to transform it, and (based on the photos) the robot mode isn't that stellar. I have two DX Chogokin SV-262, and transforming it is a nightmare. I'm keeping one Chogokin SV-262 in fighter mode, one of them in robot mode, and I'm keeping the model kit in Gerwalk mode. Transforming the DX SV-262 is literally so hard, I haven't even figured out how to put it into Gerwalk mode, and I give up. I'll just keep the model kit as a Gerwalk and call it a job well done.

Edited by Lord_Of_Tetris

5 minutes ago, Lord_Of_Tetris said:

Heh. Wow, has it been over a year since I posted my work-in-progress photos of the VF-31 kit? I actually checked this thread thinking there was news or some new photos of someone's finished kit, I read your quoted post, then I thought to myself, "Hey, whoa, this guy's model kit skill is pretty darn GOOD!" Then I recognized my own tables and realized it was my own post. :P

In the year (wow, time flies) since I posted that, I've finished that kit and built another 1/72 VF-31, this time the Messer custom. I wanted to collect the whole cast, and doing it with the model kits is a ton cheaper than getting the whole cast by way of the DX Chogokin toys.

I still think the 1/72 Bandai VF-31 kit is an underappreciated gem. In every mode and every angle, it looks exactly like the mecha/jet it's supposed to look like. It requires very little part removal or swapping to transform. Building it isn't overly difficult, it just takes a lot of patience because of the many small parts. Compared to EVERY Zeta or ZZ Gundam model kit I've ever built, the VF-31 kit is more durable, has a more-enjoyable transformation, and is generally just better.

But the stickers. Those stickers, man. Probably 80% of the entire surface area of the jet is stickers. A nightmare.

In response to your question: I don't recommend building it first and then stickering. I did it by stickering each piece as I went along. If you tried putting the stickers on a completed model, you'd need to basically perform surgery as you try to very-precisely apply a sticker to a piece you can't really access anymore. 

Oh, and I just ordered a 1/72 SV-262 model kit. I don't really intend to transform it, and (based on the photos) the robot mode isn't that stellar. I have two DX Chogokin SV-262, and transforming it is a nightmare. I'm keeping one Chogokin SV-262 in fighter mode, one of them in robot mode, and I'm keeping the model kit in Gerwalk mode. Transforming the DX SV-262 is literally so hard, I haven't even figured out how to put it into Gerwalk mode, and I give up. I'll just keep the model kit as a Gerwalk and call it a job well done.

Great story- yes I think it looks outstanding UNBUILT in the box- I bought a couple so I am going to da a quick n dirty fast build first and apply all the decalls later- just to see how the kit works so my next one will be fully painted and all- I WILL post pics of the first build with decals applied last to let everyone see how it turned out- I am fearless when it comes to builidng!

7 minutes ago, Lord_Of_Tetris said:

That's the biggest reason I only ever bought one VF-31 kit. The stickers are a nightmare. Really tempted to just spray it flat grey and be done.

Especially the stickers that go under the canard hinges, that just come right back off when the hinge moves. On top of the Decals needing all the edges trimmed so they fit on the parts.

7 minutes ago, Lord_Of_Tetris said:

The 1/72 SV-262 transforms WAY better than the DX Chogokin, as it's got a slightly simplified transformation mechanism. I had no issues transforming my SV-262 kit around through the different modes.

Edited by Sanity is Optional

8 minutes ago, Sanity is Optional said:

That's the biggest reason I only ever bought one VF-31 kit. The stickers are a nightmare. Really tempted to just spray it flat grey and be done.

Especially the stickers that go under the canard hinges, that just come right back off when the hinge moves. On top of the Decals needing all the edges trimmed so they fit on the parts.

The 1/72 SV-262 transforms WAY better than the DX Chogokin, as it's got a slightly simplified transformation mechanism. I had no issues transforming my SV-262 kit around through the different modes.

What I hear over and over is some variation of, "Why can't the DX Chogokin SV-262 just transform the same way as the 1/72 model kit? It's so much better!" After I build my first one to keep in Gerwalk mode, if I find the transformation to be enjoyable, I might just buy a second model kit to transform back and forth for fun.

At the moment, with my only experience being the DX Chogokin, I cannot imagine a universe in which transforming a SV-262 is anything else but an exercise in self-torture.

And, for some reason, I can't find any in-depth written reviews of Bandai's transformable Macross kits. Any RG or MG Gundam, you name it, you Google it, and you'll find a dozen YouTube reviews and in-depth text reviews describing every square inch of the toy and its build process, with dozens of photos. 

I honestly can't find any reviews of that depth for these Macross models. I'm aware the 1/72 Bandai model kit of the SV-262 has a more-enjoyable transformation than the DX Chogokin, but I have no idea how or why it's better.

Edited by Lord_Of_Tetris

24 minutes ago, Lord_Of_Tetris said:

I honestly can't find any reviews of that depth for these Macross models. I'm aware the 1/72 Bandai model kit of the SV-262 has a more-enjoyable transformation than the DX Chogokin, but I have no idea how or why it's better.

I did a somewhat in-depth build-log of the VF-27 Brera, but that's about it. It'd be great is there were more reviews.

Dalong includes quite a few of the Bandai 1/72 kits in their Bandai Etc category.

Yeah i have been waiting ages for that....hase's version sold like hotcakes. Bandai's version would be along the same vein....

Ooo boy, i just had a tot if bandai released 31A model kits and armored packs for the A. That's going to be customs crazytown.

2 hours ago, chyll2 said:

I thought by now there should be 31A kits since the release pattern of the kits is similar to the DX toys.

I THOUGHT THE SAME.

I already have the DX Chogokin of Messer and Mirage's VF-31. I'm very happy I bought them, and they're fantastic. However, these things are way too expensive, and the price of a DX Chogokin VF-31A is INSANE. I was hoping to get two or three transforming VF-31A Bandai 1/72 model kits as a cheaper way to fill out the squadron, but THERE IS NO SUCH KIT.

WAAAAAAAH

#firstworldproblems

• 1 month later...
35 minutes ago, Chronocidal said:

The fact that Bandai panel lined the decals on these kits makes me want to scream.  The only way to conceivably decorate these kits in a decent fashion is to mask off and paint all of the markings by hand. <_< 

At least it makes it easy to line the decals up. They cover so much area, of so many pieces, that orientation really matters.

This doesn't have to do with Delta, but I chanced upon the 1/72 Tornado Messiah in stock at HLJ for the first time in a long time. Seems Bandai did another run of it recently; other sites are selling it again as well. I'll probably get another one if it's still available in a couple weeks, but 'til then, FYI for anyone who wants it.

https://hlj.com/product/BAN965305

https://www.amiami.com/eng/detail/?gcode=TOY-RBT-1237
(Used one also available): https://www.amiami.com/eng/detail/?gcode=TOY-RBT-1237-R

https://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10123518

• 1 year later...

Any thoughts about the 1/72 Sv 262's durability from those who have one?  There don't seem to be that many reviews of it and one reviewer I saw unfortunately snapped the ankle joint when handling the foot in Battroid mode.  I have heard that it's transformation scheme is significantly less convoluted and i'm interested in getting one myself.

If you search back through this thread, I've got a post a long ways back from when the 262 kits were new, and it goes into some of the structural issues I found with the kit.

I never had trouble with the ankles myself, but the large wing pivots behind the cockpit were a major concern.  The paper-thin cover plates over the hinges tend to just snap when attaching them, and the large section of the wing mechanism that attaches to those hinges has a tendency to develop stress fractures along the narrowest section.

I think the kit is pretty sturdy overall (for a model, anyway), and I've transformed mine multiple times, but I think that larger wing section needs reinforcement.  Fortunately, the panel is shaped in a way that allows gluing some styrene sheet to the back of it for strengthening, without interfering with the transformation.  It just beefs up the structure.  

• 3 months later...
4 hours ago, Marcion said:

has bandai stop production on macross kit, lately they been more on gundam kit. 

They took orders earlier this year for what was at the time a planned November reissue of some kits, from Delta on back to OG 80s/90s kits. Not sure if they're still taking orders or not, or if the reissue schedule has changed or not.

• 1 month later...

Tag hobby has two new Macross Delta 1/72 kits listed:

Mirage SV-262 with Lil Drakens

BM210331.jpg

Hayate VF-31F with Lil Drakens

bm210335.jpg

[edit] Pages are up on HLJ, likely up/soon to be up on HobbySearch, CDJ, Ami-Ami, and others within a few days.

https://www.hlj.com/1-72-scale-vf-31f-siegfried-w-lil-draken-hayate-immelman-machine-bans61334

https://www.hlj.com/1-72-scale-sv-262hs-draken-iii-w-lil-draken-mirage-farina-jenius-machine-bans61335

Edited by Sanity is Optional

6 hours ago, Sanity is Optional said:

Tag hobby has two new Macross Delta 1/72 kits listed:

Mirage SV-262 with Lil Drakens

BM210331.jpg

Hayate VF-31F with Lil Drakens

bm210335.jpg

[edit] Pages are up on HLJ, likely up/soon to be up on HobbySearch, CDJ, Ami-Ami, and others within a few days.

https://www.hlj.com/1-72-scale-vf-31f-siegfried-w-lil-draken-hayate-immelman-machine-bans61334

https://www.hlj.com/1-72-scale-sv-262hs-draken-iii-w-lil-draken-mirage-farina-jenius-machine-bans61335

and where is 1/72 VF31E kit?

7 minutes ago, Chronocidal said:

Nice.. I want to see the parts breakdown on the 262, because I might buy several of them, and kitbash them with the existing kits for some fun color options. ^_^ 

This ought to give you a basic idea:

https://www.1999.co.jp/eng/image/10444073

Dalong also has a page for the SV-262Hs here: http://dalong.net/reviews/etc/md09/md09_p.htm

There's pics down at the bottom showing a bare build (no paint/sticker/decal)

17 minutes ago, Chronocidal said:

...I want to see the parts breakdown on the 262...

In a word: complicated :D

13 hours ago, Chronocidal said:

Oh, I'm talking about the specific color breakdown for Mirage's version, since you know the base colors will be a smattering of white and purple.  Will have to see someone build this one specifically to see what I'm thinking of.

It will be the same breakdown with a crap-ton of stickers, like the other Delta kits...

• 4 months later...