Bandai 1/72 Scale Transformable Macross Δ Kits

IXTL

1 hour ago, KOG Water Dragon said:

I wonder if they will release any more DeCulture variations?

I remember Noel and I both hoping this happens. I really want the other members of Walkure - ie the better ones - to get Deculture valks with the movie release. And a special VF-31C with Mirage decals, while we're at it.

1 hour ago, KOG Water Dragon said:

Haven't dealt with Bandai decals in a while. Are they thick and hard to conform to curves and details?

Besides what @Sanity is Optional said, my personal biggest gripe with them is that Bandai prints the panel lining onto them. So you'll have red striping broken up by ugly black lines that may or may not match the panel wash you want to use.

The printed panel lines at least make it easy to cut up one decal into smaller, more manageable sections, but I'd gladly trade that convenience in for unbroken color.

Yeah, Bandai's decals for everything Macross-related have been pretty rotten for as long as everyone remembers.  Screen-printed, thick, they don't like to fit the complex curved surfaces they're meant for, and they don't behave well with standard decal setting liquids.  The printed panel lines are just one more layer on the pile of decal travesties.

The only VF-25 kit I ever put markings on was 100% hand-painted, because I refused to deal with them, and I've basically resigned myself to never using any markings.  The DXs will cover my interest in having the valks in the show schemes, while I'm fairly certain every Bandai kit I have is going to wind up in a custom scheme.

Just now, Chronocidal said:

Yeah, Bandai's decals for everything Macross-related have been pretty rotten for as long as everyone remembers.  Screen-printed, thick, they don't like to fit the complex curved surfaces they're meant for, and they don't behave well with standard decal setting liquids.  The printed panel lines are just one more layer on the pile of decal travesties.

The only VF-25 kit I ever put markings on was 100% hand-painted, because I refused to deal with them, and I've basically resigned myself to never using any markings.  The DXs will cover my interest in having the valks in the show schemes, while I'm fairly certain every Bandai kit I have is going to wind up in a custom scheme.

Let's also mention that the decals are LOW-RESOLUTION!

Like an older comic book, from the Jack Kirby era!

Okay, fine, not THAT bad, but you can clearly see that the labels are low resolution. 

Yup, especially with pinstripes and the like that cover 4-5 different parts and are a pain to get the decals all aligned on to start. I don't necessarily hate their decals that are intended for details and markings, but the ones that are for stripes and solid colors don't even match the plastic!

6 minutes ago, Sanity is Optional said:

Yup, especially with pinstripes and the like that cover 4-5 different parts and are a pain to get the decals all aligned on to start. I don't necessarily hate their decals that are intended for details and markings, but the ones that are for stripes and solid colors don't even match the plastic!

Not only does it not match the plastic, it's too translucent! Unless you're putting the decal onto a white surface, the color of the plastic will show through the Decal!

So, fun little discovery, I didn't realize it from the promotional images.. Roid's Elvis-valk, the white 262?  It's entirely pearlized. :lol: The whole thing is so glitzy and overdone it's hilarious.  I can't wait to mix and match pieces between the various kits and come up with a unique design.

I think there are some folks who like the pearlised versions, since bandai keeps having pearlised versions of gunpla too..M not such a fan, but if its degree of 'pearling' fits then perhaps...

Will painting white over pearl provide a matt'ish look if you dont like pearl?

Else getting a HS, paint it white and use roid's stickers is a possibility, tho thats 2 kits.

2 hours ago, seti88 said:

I think there are some folks who like the pearlised versions, since bandai keeps having pearlised versions of gunpla too..M not such a fan, but if its degree of 'pearling' fits then perhaps...

Will painting white over pearl provide a matt'ish look if you dont like pearl?

Else getting a HS, paint it white and use roid's stickers is a possibility, tho thats 2 kits.

Yeah, if you paint over with anything opaque it'll look normal.

The stickers on these kits are the most fragile, difficult to apply and sensitive to finger grease stickers I have ever encountered. I gave up on the stickers on 3 different kits before getting the hang of it.

Now that I have gotten the hang of it, I just finished the Sv-262 Ba and I'm pretty happy with how it came out. Getting some of the stickers to conform to the curved shapes of the parts was a real chore.

There's almost exactly 100 stickers on this kit. It'd be many more if I'd done all of the little markings.

sv-262ba.thumb.jpg.ac41cfdf47aca4e5649b2abfc7f14fe7.jpg

Edited by Horatio Positronic

5 hours ago, Rock said:

Any word if Bandai Pro-Shop will be doing a clear VF-31 like they did with the VF-25?

The only clear one I remember was for the VF-31J for ordering the blue ray set.

• 4 weeks later...

Missed out the first batch of Hase Kairos so only just pre-ordered one from Amiami. Hope bandai would do it as a transformable 1/72 as well. 

How are the kits nowadays compared to frontier where transforming is a bit of a pain and it falls a part pretty easily. 

9 hours ago, raptormesh said:

Missed out the first batch of Hase Kairos so only just pre-ordered one from Amiami. Hope bandai would do it as a transformable 1/72 as well. 

How are the kits nowadays compared to frontier where transforming is a bit of a pain and it falls a part pretty easily. 

In order from least sturdy to most: VF-25, VF-27, VF-31. It's much better, pretty much everything tabs solidly into place. The stickers/decals are a nightmare, but that's normal for a transforming plastic model, especially with the pinstriping on the 31s.

2 hours ago, Sanity is Optional said:

In order from least sturdy to most: VF-25, VF-27, VF-31. It's much better, pretty much everything tabs solidly into place. The stickers/decals are a nightmare, but that's normal for a transforming plastic model, especially with the pinstriping on the 31s.

Thank you, glad they improved their tolerances and design. 

• 2 weeks later...