Bandai 1/72 Scale Transformable Macross Δ Kits

IXTL

8 hours ago, Sanity is Optional said:

Warning: the decals are absolute MURDER on the Delta valkyries. Huge number, and you need to trim the edges, plus they get scraped off super easy without a topcoat, which needs to be applied in all 3 forms and partway in-between to cover everything. Oh, you'll also need to transform it while applying decals.

If I were going to do model kits, I'd probably do the ones that have toys produced by arcadia. Since I can't afford Arcadia, a VF-0S model would be perfect for my collection. I have a Yamato VF-0A, but it's seen better days... I'd also have to do the Sv-51 as well.

14 minutes ago, modelglue said:

Has Bandai done the VF-31A yet? Or any release plans?

Sorry, I don't have the time to comb the threads any more with two small kids.

The only VF-31As I'm aware of are:

• 1/144 VF-31A fighter mode kit (pre-painted) by Tomytec (Released)
  • 1/72 VF-31A fighter mode kit (unpainted) by Hasegawa (Released)
  • 1/60 VF-31A transformable DX Chogokin by Bandai (Pre-orders up, Tamashii Web Exclusive)
Edited by Sanity is Optional

2 hours ago, Sanity is Optional said:

I wonder, if they make a VF-31E, will it have the dish out or stowed? Or option for either?

I'm assuming they'd provide both options.

I haven't seen Macross Delta... is the dish mechanism complicated? If so, that may be why Bandai hasn't done one - couldn't figure out how to make the dish work in the context of a transforming plastic model. And they seem to frown on parts swapping for transformations now.

52 minutes ago, KOG Water Dragon said:

I'm assuming they'd provide both options.

I haven't seen Macross Delta... is the dish mechanism complicated? If so, that may be why Bandai hasn't done one - couldn't figure out how to make the dish work in the context of a transforming plastic model. And they seem to frown on parts swapping for transformations now.

For Bandai, it shouldn't be an issue, but for a Hasegawa kit I doubt they'd make a transforming dish, rather just out, in, or one of each.

I bought a pair of "J's" I think, for obligatory fighter and Battroid side by side posing. It would be incredible to have the A and E now that I am aware of the latter's ECM/EWS dish. 

All other variants preceding these two are pretty similar except for head versions right? Would it be reasonable to assume Bandai is "milking" the commonality in these kits before expanding into the E and A?

Does anyone remember the release order of the VF-25 versions and their subsequent super, tornado and armoured kits? Maybe that is the best evidence.

Edited by modelglue
sp.

6 hours ago, modelglue said:

Does anyone remember the release order of the VF-25 versions and their subsequent super, tornado and armoured kits? Maybe that is the best evidence.

Considering they released the cannon fodder 31A before Arad's or Chucks, I think we need to just forget everything anyone expects them to do. 

There's been no word on either of those, and they've already released two versions of Hayate's 31J now (albeit one is a freakin' convention exclusive).  Plus, there's been no word on getting the green Drakens, and the only other valks in the series would be more 171 repaints, which given their history, I expect to sell like a sack of rabies, and would be absolutely astounded if Bandai goes through the effort to release any new versions.

I can only assume they're going by apparent popularity, but kicked the VF-31a to web exclusive due to unpredictable demand. Chuck and Arad weren't that popular as characters to my knowledge, and even Mirage is still available in store for pre-order price.

50 minutes ago, Chronocidal said:

Considering they released the cannon fodder 31A before Arad's or Chucks, I think we need to just forget everything anyone expects them to do. 

There's been no word on either of those, and they've already released two versions of Hayate's 31J now (albeit one is a freakin' convention exclusive).  Plus, there's been no word on getting the green Drakens, and the only other valks in the series would be more 171 repaints, which given their history, I expect to sell like a sack of rabies, and would be absolutely astounded if Bandai goes through the effort to release any new versions.

What's the VF-31J convention exclusive? I only know of regular, super, 35th Anniversary, and DeCulture versions from Bandai, and a regular fighter from Hasegawa.

I thought both Bandai and Hasegawa had released green Drakens, with Bandai offering markings for one pilot and Hasegawa offering markings for 2 pilots? Or am I misunderstanding?

I would KILL for some VF-171 kits. From either company.

22 minutes ago, Sanity is Optional said:

I can only assume they're going by apparent popularity, but kicked the VF-31a to web exclusive due to unpredictable demand. Chuck and Arad weren't that popular as characters to my knowledge, and even Mirage is still available in store for pre-order price.

Based on Hasegawa's past release strategy, I have to believe they will eventually cover all the VF-31 variants. Since they've gone so far as to make up decal variants and model variants in the past to milk moulds, and have covered things like versions from video games and rides. How could they skip main characters from the show? Can only assume that Hasegawa has a VF-31F and VF-31S in the works, with a VF-31E later on hopefully.

1 minute ago, KOG Water Dragon said:

Based on Hasegawa's past release strategy, I have to believe they will eventually cover all the VF-31 variants. Since they've gone so far as to make up decal variants and model variants in the past to milk moulds, and have covered things like versions from video games and rides. How could they skip main characters from the show? Can only assume that Hasegawa has a VF-31F and VF-31S in the works, with a VF-31E later on hopefully.

I was talking about Bandai, Hasegawa seems a bit better about releasing all the things, but good luck if you want a re-print. Those VF-31a kits are already going for nearly $100 

47 minutes ago, KOG Water Dragon said:

Oh, is there a Bandai VF-31A web exclusive?

Figure rather than model, but yes.

https://www.nippon-yasan.com/figures/22661-macross-delta-dx-chogokin-vf-31a-kairos-regular-limited-edition.html

http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/product/NEOGDS-252726

7 hours ago, KOG Water Dragon said:

Does the Bandai model seem engineered to allow for space to add the folded dish?

I think so. The center of the dish would attach to the same peg that the "regular" pod does, and aside from extending down past the legs, I don't see there being any clearance issues.

...unless the -31E has a similar central wing/sensor on its underside as the RVF-25 (I don't believe it does), in which case it might be a bit more cramped down there.

2 hours ago, Chronocidal said:

The toys aren't comparable to the models; different teams, different production timelines/techniques/facilities, etc. The model line is more complete than the toys, missing only Chuck's -31E, the -31A, and the unlikely -171. (You could argue for unit-specific Super packs, but still.)

Likely Bandai will release the E and A as P-Bandai kits around the time of the movie, and maybe a VF-31A-specific Super parts set with a variant pod.

I really wish they or Hasegawa would make a VF-171, though.

2 hours ago, Chronocidal said:

I think we disconnected at some point, I was asking about the 1/72 Bandai model kits and I assume you are talking 1/60 toys? 

If Bandai sells sacks of rabies with a VF-171 kit then I will buy all the rabies. 

Hopefully, the A makes an appearance as does the E. A,E,J,S are on my hit list for probable releases, and this is only 1/4 realized currently with two J kits in hand.

36 minutes ago, kajnrig said:

I think so. The center of the dish would attach to the same peg that the "regular" pod does, and aside from extending down past the legs, I don't see there being any clearance issues.

...unless the -31E has a similar central wing/sensor on its underside as the RVF-25 (I don't believe it does), in which case it might be a bit more cramped down there.

The toys aren't comparable to the models; different teams, different production timelines/techniques/facilities, etc. The model line is more complete than the toys, missing only Chuck's -31E, the -31A, and the unlikely -171. (You could argue for unit-specific Super packs, but still.)

Likely Bandai will release the E and A as P-Bandai kits around the time of the movie, and maybe a VF-31A-specific Super parts set with a variant pod.

I really wish they or Hasegawa would make a VF-171, though.

If it's not an engineering problem, I have to wonder why Bandai is taking so long to release a VF-31E. I must admit I find the color scheme quite eye-catching, and I'd really like the 'set' to be complete.

Not sure what to think about the super versions. The VF-25 had a standalone super parts set with markings for all the VF-25s, but so far Bandai seems to be doing only unit-specific super sets for the VF-31s. No 'generic' VF-31 super parts set. I would guess they might do a Super VF-31F and Super VF-31S too... did all the VF-31s sport super packs at some point in the show?

I would buy MANY VF-171s, especially if they did different variants. VF-17, VF-171, VF-171EX, RVF-171... It's a commonly seen design and therefor conspicuously absent from the plastic model line-ups.

2 minutes ago, KOG Water Dragon said:

Oh, darn.... got my hopes up. I don't buy the completed toys. Just plastic models.

I mainly buy model kits (gunpla), but the paintjobs and decals on Valkyries make me want to tear my hair out. Also the figures tend to be more robust for transforming and posing.

9 minutes ago, Sanity is Optional said:

I mainly buy model kits (gunpla), but the paintjobs and decals on Valkyries make me want to tear my hair out. Also the figures tend to be more robust for transforming and posing.

The harder the paintjob and the more the decals, the more I love a model. :wub:

I got into models decades ago, for the hobby enjoyment of building and finishing. I'm not into transforming and posing anymore, so the toys don't mean much to me. So bring on the models. B))

3 hours ago, modelglue said:

A,E,J,S are on my hit list for probable releases, and this is only 1/4 realized currently with two J kits in hand.

The J And S are both already out, unless you're not talking about the model kits...?

2 hours ago, KOG Water Dragon said:

If it's not an engineering problem, I have to wonder why Bandai is taking so long to release a VF-31E. I must admit I find the color scheme quite eye-catching, and I'd really like the 'set' to be complete.

did all the VF-31s sport super packs at some point in the show?

I think either they're waiting for Delta to come back to mainstream attention again with the movie before releasing the E/A/both or they've decided they're done with plamo for the show. They might not see the E and A selling very well. The E because neither it nor its pilot were featured very prominently in the show, and when they were they hardly made an impression. The A because regardless of how good it looks, it's still a cannon fodder Valk.

I'm about 99.999% sure they all had Super packs at one point or another. There was an episode in an asteroid field where I think the entire Delta squad was fitted with Super packs and sound amplification pods.

16 hours ago, modelglue said:

All other variants preceding these two are pretty similar except for head versions right? Would it be reasonable to assume Bandai is "milking" the commonality in these kits before expanding into the E and A?

Bandai has never been reasonable, since the kit release schedule right now follows the DX release (or was it vice versa), anyway, one would expect 31A will be next.

6 hours ago, KOG Water Dragon said:

The harder the paintjob and the more the decals, the more I love a model. :wub:

I got into models decades ago, for the hobby enjoyment of building and finishing. I'm not into transforming and posing anymore, so the toys don't mean much to me. So bring on the models. B))

This is generally true, except Bandai's decal sucks.

9 hours ago, kajnrig said:

The J And S are both already out, unless you're not talking about the model kits...?

Yes, am talking about model kits. I'm just saying the listed are ones I want/need and the J is already in my possession.

6 hours ago, chyll2 said:

Bandai has never been reasonable, since the kit release schedule right now follows the DX release (or was it vice versa), anyway, one would expect 31A will be next.

As long as they release it I will be happy. 

We've seen a lot of gripes about the decals. I might try to create an alternate set using vector and print on paper here at home. If successful, how many of you would be interested in using them?

Edited by modelglue
sp.

23 hours ago, modelglue said:

1) The heads are the only majorly different part, yes, but enough so that the parts that make up the fuselage directly fore and aft of them also have to be different. I made the mistake of assuming those were the same between all the variants, too. (The Hasegawa kits also feature these fuselage changes.)

2) That's a pretty solid supposition. I'd also guess that they're waiting for the movie or a new album or something to come out and put Delta in the spotlight again before releasing them... if they'll release them at all.

3) According to dalong, the schedule was (excluding specials):

Alto
Ozma
Super parts
Super Alto
Luca
Super Ozma
Michael
Armored Alto
Armored Ozma
Brera (VF-27)
MP VF-27
Tornado Alto

30 minutes ago, modelglue said:

Yes, am talking about model kits. I'm just saying the listed are ones I want/need and the J is already in my possession.

As long as they release it I will be happy. 

We've seen a lot of gripes about the decals. I might try to create an alternate set using vector and print on paper here at home. If successful, how many of you would be interested in using them?

Ah, I see. I must have missed something in the discussion.

There's also the Hasegawa decals, which are overall much better than Bandai sheets.

That's fantastic that you could post the order. It was not what I was imagining, to be sure. 

I typically collect one of each kit from each manufacturer per variant. I'm falling behind a bit as I have been shy about spending due to other hobbies emerging and taking over the cashflow! 

It is nice to have a Bandai for battroid display and a Hasegawa fighter alongside. They are released so far apart (relatively) that it makes it hard to organise my purchases, nevermind coordinate building and painting. 

Edited by modelglue
Autocorrect sp.

14 hours ago, kajnrig said:

I think either they're waiting for Delta to come back to mainstream attention again with the movie before releasing the E/A/both or they've decided they're done with plamo for the show. They might not see the E and A selling very well. The E because neither it nor its pilot were featured very prominently in the show, and when they were they hardly made an impression. The A because regardless of how good it looks, it's still a cannon fodder Valk.

I'm about 99.999% sure they all had Super packs at one point or another. There was an episode in an asteroid field where I think the entire Delta squad was fitted with Super packs and sound amplification pods.

As long as Hasegawa does an E, I'll be (mostly) happy.

If they were all shown with Super packs, then I'm hopeful that we'll see Bandai do a Super VF-31F and Super VF-31S after the Super VF-31C gets released.

I saw a customized Super VF-31E in a model mag and I thought it looked fantastic...

I wonder if they will release any more DeCulture variations?

10 hours ago, chyll2 said:

This is generally true, except Bandai's decal sucks.

Haven't dealt with Bandai decals in a while. Are they thick and hard to conform to curves and details?

3 minutes ago, KOG Water Dragon said:

Haven't dealt with Bandai decals in a while. Are they thick and hard to conform to curves and details?

Thick with a large border, on kits where they run to the edges of curved parts. Plus the Valkyries call for hundreds of them.