Bandai 1/72 Scale Transformable Macross Δ Kits

IXTL

That is nice!

Couple of observations that I'm interest to see on the DX when it arrives:

How will they integrate main landing gear in such a small space? How will they integrate hands on that same note?

And finally, where did that extra part come from that props up the chest parts?

Can you give an example of one of these proxy service companies that are partnered with Bandai?

Hey ayaxr. I'm just adding these 3 proxy sites that keeps on popping up everytime I browsed the P-Bandai site on their pop-up window. Buyee. FromJapan. SamuraiBuyer. Sad to say that when you click those links they don't carry as much for now. Probably down the line they will.

Hope that helps. ;)

something kind of bugs me with the stickers......I can kind of understand why there are so many with the option to totally customize your color schemes or paint your details rather than applying these colored markings. But WHY dear god WHY would they not put on the markings with their stickers? I mean here you go you're gonna put on those big ass blue ones for the front of the wings, or the long white ones to the body but then you find out you need to put on some additional markings on top of those! It just feels so wrong to have a sticker on top of another sticker which that now said sticker LOOKS like a sticker.

Yeah it's pretty lame. Bandai's Macross kits straddle the line between model and toy, and kinda do a half-assed job at both.

About halfway through mine now, working bit by bit when I have time, but so far it's been less unpleasant than the Frontier kits. But that might just be because I'm more experienced with this stuff than I was back then.

I've been using the waterslide decals for all the insignias and small markings, and the stickers for all the huge colored areas. Those decals will chip 'n rip when you attempt a transformation, I guarantee it.

Serious modelers should just wait for Hasegawa to release a VF-31.

Speaking of, it's odd that Hase are opting (or being left unable to do but?) to release their SV-262 before ANY VF-31 variant.

Any word on a 31E release? It's about the only Bandai Delta release I'm still looking forward to... unless they decide out of the blue to start a -171 run.

Yeah - the stickers vs decals is a tough choice - I dont think they quite do either perfectly. Trying to do all the major color areas as paint instead of using the decals or stickers...

Masked up in pic below and the blue went on this afternoon via airbrush - kinda scared to take the masks off lol....

Hayate05_1_zpsggtghomw.jpg

Hayate05_2_zps5mwbsp8r.jpg

Speaking of, it's odd that Hase are opting (or being left unable to do but?) to release their SV-262 before ANY VF-31 variant.

Any word on a 31E release? It's about the only Bandai Delta release I'm still looking forward to... unless they decide out of the blue to start a -171 run.

It's possible that they consider the market to be flooded with VF-31 kits (two have been released so far, and in the shops I frequent, many are shelf warmers), and are considering the Sv-262 a safer bet?

Who ISN'T ever afraid of doing that? Lol.

it's terrifying every time....

Yeah - the stickers vs decals is a tough choice - I dont think they quite do either perfectly. Trying to do all the major color areas as paint instead of using the decals or stickers...

Masked up in pic below and the blue went on this afternoon via airbrush - kinda scared to take the masks off lol....

Well certainly not a small undertaking I"m sure. I'm always nervous when I mask stuff but I chose to keep the painting details to a bare minimum. I actually painted the rims of the canopy though I can't say I was very happy with my result, though it did turn out decent.

Also painted the insides of that laser beam thingy on the weapons container, the bits of the head turret and of course the pilot figure.

All in all I was fairly happy with the results but really when you break it down the damn thing is just to sticker ridden.

post-600-0-86266700-1472360558_thumb.jpg

But when I think about it, I should of used the water slides for the markings, that was dumb of me not to think of that either.

But when I think about it, I should of used the water slides for the markings, that was dumb of me not to think of that either.

Trust me you would have been just as dissapointed with the stickers as they are even more transparent than the stickers O_o

Trust me you would have been just as dissapointed with the stickers as they are even more transparent than the stickers O_o

atleast they would of been to shape and not squared or rectangular. Fascinates me that they contour cut most of their stickers to fit but they can't do similar or atleast decrease the bleed amount even lower to make them less conspicuous.

I did note a few things to myself on improvement towards me like inner details under the wing assembly and the crotch and knees. I don't understand why Bandai gives you stickers for some of the inner detailings but they can't give you everything for the others. But the thing is still so sticker ridden I guess it doesn't matter. I mean I'd have to paint them.

And speaking of paint, I can't translate the paint codes but I'm rather curious, anyone know what works best for the vulcan gunpods on the forearms? My Medium blue was close but it wasn't metallic at all. Looks almost like you need some sort of a blue metal shine to make it work right.

In the end, I DID order Arad and Keiths kits from HLJ this morning. That'll keep me busy.

Edited by Hikuro

Some very nice custom build/paint videos of the 262!

It would be more accurate to say it's "compatible" with the 1/72 kits... if you have an Action Base. All the promo pics of these busts with the VFs (both Mecha Colle and 1/72) have them mounted onto Action Base 1s.

That said, I can't wait for the Mirage/Kaname ones to come out.

Edited by kajnrig

• 2 weeks later...

So I just built up my 31S. Gotta say glue is an absolute must. Tamiya Extra-Thin worked really well and will prevent a lot of rage when pieces of your 31 just keep popping...off...everywhere.

So glad Extra-Thin worked. Was hoping not to have to use anything heavier than that.

BTW, just got a payment request at HLJ for the Super Pack set for the VF-31J. :) I think I'll hold off completing this build till I have the super pack kit in hand.

Well that was fast! It's not on sale anymore.

Wow I thought it was part of the summer sale until the 30th... Maybe the fact that buying the VF-31J on sale + super packs was cheaper than buying the kit thats bundled together had something to do with pulling the sale?

I've been building my VF-31S, do kind of agree something about this version of the kit does require some glue whereas Hayate's did fine. But the biggest stink I'm having with this that wasn't a problem before are the stickers. I might have a defective sheet as they don't seem to stay on as well as Hayate's stickers did. Infact the worst offender I have in this area are the ones that have to go on the shoulders. They don't fit in the slightest and they have little to no adhesive to cling to the plastic. Best thing I could do was spread a very light amount of glue on them and hold them in place for a couple of minutes. I think with that I have no desire to transform this kit at all and hope to god Mirage, Messer and Chuck's VF-31's do better.