Bandai 1/72 Scale Transformable Macross Δ Kits

IXTL

Preordered the Super kit. I really enjoyed putting the first one together, I want to do another. I'm also enough of a fan of the design to have each version, rather than go to the trouble of equipping the naked fighter.

When the DX releases, I'll be happy with just one + Super parts to play with.

HLJ has one or two of the Frontier kits available, but with all that's been said about how much better these kits are so far, I'm not gonna bother.

Edited by iguanaman8989

Damn Anubis! Your Hayate turned out so much better than mine. Great detail!

Dang Anubis. You've got some painting skills.

Thanks guys!! :) This was actually the first time i Paint one of these pilot figures. On gundams i dont usually paint them because you can really see them but on the 31J i felt i had to so i could display it in fighter mode.

Preordered the Super kit. I really enjoyed putting the first one together, I want to do another. I'm also enough of a fan of the design to have each version, rather than go to the trouble of equipping the naked fighter.

When the DX releases, I'll be happy with just one + Super parts to play with.

HLJ has one or two of the Frontier kits available, but with all that's been said about how much better these kits are so far, I'm not gonna bother.

Thinking the same, and did the same for the super part equipped one :). I decided to bite the bullet and get the VF-25S Ozma Lee Armored Version since it was available again at a reasonable price (everywhere else it was 100$+) even if the build/structure of that one isn't as great as the VF-31, the design is different enough and I actually prefer it to the VF-31 slightly, so I've weighed that to be enough to overcome any hardships.*fingers crossed*

Thanks guys!! :) This was actually the first time i Paint one of these pilot figures. On gundams i dont usually paint them because you can really see them but on the 31J i felt i had to so i could display it in fighter mode.

Great painting, you have talent, I'll certainly try to do the same once I get mine.

I haven't touched my 31 kit in over a week due to work and a personal dread of painting the tiny pilots. But after seeing anubis20's awesome work, it motivated just get it done and get over this hump so I can work on the rest of the kit.

Mine's not as good as anubis20's but it's good enough to be hidden under a tinted canopy. ;)

Pro-tip: Don't try this with expired or near expired paints like I did. :) (Though I wasn't going to buy a whole new set of paint just for two tiny figures!)

Please forgive the poor photo quality. I had a really hard time getting my phone to focus on these tiny pilots.

hayate%20pilot%20figure_zpsez9n50lm.jpg

freyja%20pilot%20figure_zpsdt9ldbfd.jpg

Edited by Lolicon

Nice video of a complete build:

Damn it need to wait till I get off work, relax and watch the whole episode of GTV. :)

They didn't get the transformation entirely right, and watching them perform it is hilarious at times! :-)

Yeah, they're not exactly the biggest fans of Macross in general (as in they don't know much about it, not as in they dislike it), plus they tend to have missteps here and there when messing around with kits/toys. Then again, they go through kits at a breakneck pace, so it's only to be expected.

Still waiting/hoping for a 31A.

They never made a -25A, and they basically would only have needed to mold a VF-25G in tan instead of blue and ship it with a gatling gunpod to deliver one of those. Oh, and a new decal sheet.

As I think I've said before in the thread, a superficial conversion of the VF-31J to a VF-31A involves seven pieces of polystyrene (upper and lower outer wing halves and canards x 2, plus a helmeted pilot figure) unless there's something going on with the head in which case you'd need a few more parts.

A completely accurate VF-31A with missiles instead of multidrones? That would require replacing the core ABS parts of the lower leg.

Also, based on parts breakdown, every VF-31 kit will have the parts to make an FSW version, as the upper and lower wing panels aren't molded in a section of runner that can be dummied out easily.

Edited by SebastianP

A question from before I sold my 31: Can it do an A-stance in Gerwalk? I couldn't manage one on mine, and I'm fairly certain the joint isn't there, but perhaps I was simply forgetting something.

It has improved vs the 25 kit but still not enough to deliver what the renew

al and later toys do on gerwalk

A completely accurate VF-31A with missiles instead of multidrones? That would require replacing the core ABS parts of the lower leg.

This is a difference I'm unaware of, explain please.

Also--the canards actually ARE different, it's not just the striping pattern making them look that way?

The outer wing panels, head and canards are different, but that's it! All the rest is absolutely identical. In my opinion.

It has improved vs the 25 kit but still not enough to deliver what the renew

al and later toys do on gerwalk

That's what I experienced. Thanks for the confirmation.

Also--the canards actually ARE different, it's not just the striping pattern making them look that way?

The multi-drones are molded into the back leg "skeleton" ("inner frame" by Gundam lingo), and then a black armor piece is placed on top of that. Then another piece, the opening panel, goes on top of that. In order to replace those drones with missile launchers, Bandai would have to remold that back leg skeleton piece.

The outer wing panels, head and canards are different, but that's it! All the rest is absolutely identical. In my opinion.

The head is actually the same as the 31J, I believe.

The head is actually the same as the 31J, I believe.

almost ;-)

The multi-drones are molded into the back leg "skeleton" ("inner frame" by Gundam lingo), and then a black armor piece is placed on top of that. Then another piece, the opening panel, goes on top of that. In order to replace those drones with missile launchers, Bandai would have to remold that back leg skeleton piece.

Ah, I thought you meant an external difference. Just keep the hatches closed, and it's correct. :D

almost ;-)

Oh, I didn't realize that. Will have to re-check some screens/renders...

Ah, I thought you meant an external difference. Just keep the hatches closed, and it's correct. :D

Yes, and given how fugly the hatches look when opened, it's probably for the best. Seriously, it's just one big ugly square peg that you move from a "closed" location to an "open" one. The DX looks like it'll do it way better (though I suppose that's to be expected), with actual hinges or rails or whatever in place for a truly opening/closing door.

That front art is a bit odd... I would think Kaname should show up beside Arad on the box instead of Mikumo?

I mean Freyja shows up beside Hayate on the VF-31J box soooo..

All members of walkure are assigned to a specific pilot, we saw to whom from their interactions in episode 1, Mikumo rode Arad's valk, Messer saved Kaname, Makina asked to recharge the drones and Mirage did it, and Reina was flying with Chuck, and obviously the two new members were assigned together, or in short :

3WaEoBl.jpg

All members of walkure are assigned to a specific pilot, we saw to whom from their interactions in episode 1, Mikumo rode Arad's valk, Messer saved Kaname, Makina asked to recharge the drones and Mirage did it, and Reina was flying with Chuck, and obviously the two new members were assigned together, or in short :

3WaEoBl.jpg

Thanks. Had forgotten that setup.

It was mentioned in an interview that Kawamori made the canards on the Kairos one size bigger to correct for the center of lift being further back on the non-FSW version. It's somewhere on Sketchley's site IIRC.