Bandai 1/72 Scale Transformable Macross Δ Kits

IXTL

looks like they havent learned anything from Frontier. OF course it "can" still improve on the final product.

In all fairness, the 1/72 VF-25 kits were very accurate to the line-art and while they can be floppy and have fitting issues, that's partly a design limitation brought about by the scale, size and general design. Things that looks great on-screen don't always translate well to physical products which must yield to the laws of physics.

My biggest (but not exclusive) beef with the VF-31 samples we've seen are the hideously undersized girlie arms. I think that Mac Delta itself is a cruel joke from what I've seen so far, and the least that they could do is salvage the mecha designs.

In all fairness, the 1/72 VF-25 kits were very accurate to the line-art and while they can be floppy and have fitting issues, that's partly a design limitation brought about by the scale, size and general design. Things that looks great on-screen don't always translate well to physical products which must yield to the laws of physics.

This got me wondering, and excuse the slight detour:

How does the Bandai model kit compare to the DX toys, either V1 or Renewal? In terms of sculpt, gimmicks, etc. It seems from a cursory glance that the model does everything those do sans a full paint application.

Visually, the 1/72 kit is slightly more slender than the DX toy. It's also considerably more fragile and doesn't lock as well, particularly in fighter mode. If it's something that you're going to handle and play with, consider the toy. The model has more detail potential and is made to be admired more than handled.

In some respects, I think that the VF-25 was the pinnacle transforming fighter (in terms of overall looks) and the VF-31 has taken a step backward in that respect. Time will tell if the actual kit has some redeeming qualities.

Visually, the 1/72 kit is slightly more slender than the DX toy. It's also considerably more fragile and doesn't lock as well, particularly in fighter mode. If it's something that you're going to handle and play with, consider the toy. The model has more detail potential and is made to be admired more than handled.

Well, the fragility is a given. It IS a model kit, after all, despite its many concessions to playability. So it's more or less the same as the toys? I had asked because it seems like a more sound proposition to buy the model instead of the DX. It's a smaller scale and requires paint and construction, but all said and done it would seem to do everything the DX does for far less. You could even commission someone to build it for you and I'd wager the final product - built and painted and fragile areas strengthened - would still cost you less than the DX.

Well, the fragility is a given. It IS a model kit, after all, despite its many concessions to playability. So it's more or less the same as the toys? I had asked because it seems like a more sound proposition to buy the model instead of the DX. It's a smaller scale and requires paint and construction, but all said and done it would seem to do everything the DX does for far less. You could even commission someone to build it for you and I'd wager the final product - built and painted and fragile areas strengthened - would still cost you less than the DX.

More or less the same in terms of proportions (DX Renewal toy and 1/72 kit, I mean.)

The kits are also priced at less than half what the DX toys are going for. As I stated previously, the styrene kit, even when well built will not stand up to frequent handling like the ABS+metal toy. It's really a matter of determining what you intend to do with it, followed by what you're willing to pay.

Sandman: Bandai kits, be they Gundam or Macross, benefit from very similar engineering so you need not worry about build difficulty.

I spent a very long time on my VF-25G and after it was all said and done, swore I'd never transform it and left it in Fighter mode. A year or so ago I forgot about that promise and started to put it into something other than fighter. The thing was so floppy and so difficult to hold while moving pieces around, I quickly gave up. And then remembered my earlier promise.

Also worth pointing out - I was very, very gentle with the assembly process, but still managed to break a joint in the knee area. And this was just during assembly, not when attempting to transform it.

They look great but the effort to get them done has turned more than a few seasoned modellers completely off of them. Lolicon and WM Cheng, to name but a few. When the DX renewal toys came out, I couldn't wait to put the model kit experience far, far behind.

I still have my model kit in the display cabinet and it still looks great, but I have very little desire to build another one.

The issue with the Bandai models is not so much the difficulty but rather the amount of work needed to get it done. Since it's a transforming kit, there's a lot of pieces to put together - and that means lots of time needed to get it done. Also, due to the need to put together all the joints and internal parts, the buildup doesn't allow for easy painting (a big negative with modelers who like to paint).

That said, the kits are already pre-colored, so if you're just going to snap it together, put on the decals, and call it done, then there won't be much problems.

I'd also say that your satisfaction with the kit might depend on which fighter you choose to build. They all require a varying amount of painting to wind up in the correct colors, and the VF-25F is probably the simplest in that regard.

Frankly though, a 1/72 kit is no replacement for a DX. The transformation mechanism isn't built to be used repeatedly, and certain internal and external parts aren't going to hold up through repeated cycles. The kits are pretty much ideally suited to building in a specific mode, and leaving them that way.

I should also point out that the models don't attempt the kind of articulation that the DX does, and it's missing several of the joints that would be required for some more aggressive poses, particularly the thigh twist for a good gerwalk stance. In that regard, the model's only about as good as the v.1 DX for gerwalk posing.

One other thing to consider is that the decals on the VF-25 kits are probably some of the worst decals in the history of plastic models. They don't fit, they don't adhere, they look like magazine prints, and the process of applying them will probably leave you with significantly less hair on your head than when you started. For the one VF-25 kit I have "finished," I ditched them entirely and instead painted all the major markings on by hand. The end result was worthwhile I think.

In terms of shape alone though, I actually do prefer the 1/72 kits to the DX in fighter. The fuselage of the model kit sits at a bit of a different angle, and the nose doesn't appear to droop quite as much. Which is more accurate to the animation, I can't say, but I think the profile of the model just looks more like a real aircraft than the toys do.

Edited by Chronocidal

The 1/72 is no replacement for the DX, but they are infinitely easier to acquire and with a little elbow grease you will get a nicer-looking single pose valk at a fraction of the DX price.

However, if you wanna play, the models are a big no-no unless you hate yourself and love suffering. Just ask any married man (j/k, just recently married)

Now that we know Hayate's custom cockpit allows him to fly without a helmet, does that mean we won't get a generic helmeted pilot figure for our VF-31J? If so that sucks, because I wanted to make a non-canon VF-31J.

The Models are great bases for custom jobs which is why they appeal to me, despite my huge DX collection.

Yep. It's a Bandai kit. Look at that lovely front gear.

post-12411-0-54059500-1461825479_thumb.jpg

And by the renders, looks like the pilot figures will be Timmy Torsos again.

post-12411-0-19097300-1461825481_thumb.jpg

Pics taken from Dengeki Hobby.

Again, I'll be waiting for the Hasegawa offerings. At least this time I won't waste money on the Bandai previous to Hase's release.

Yep. It's a Bandai kit. Look at that lovely front gear.

0228.jpg

You think the front looks sexy, wait 'til you see dat ass:

10382560b8.jpg

I still have one on preorder, but what I really want are at least one of the Frontier kits just because I like the design more. Here's hoping they do get reissued in June like Amiami says they will.

I think based on all the personal anecdotes, every modeler has a serious responsibility to build at least one of the Bandai Macross kits. They seem to exemplify all the pros and cons of overengineered model kits.

Exactly why I mentioned I don't care about how bad the landing gear looks :D I knew Bandai and landing gear have been crappy since the dawn of time :0

And a F/A-18's landing gear should be the right size... what about those ones? http://hlj.com/product/SAC72066/Air

Edited by Skypoet

YF-23 gear is even better I think, but much harder to find. (I remember when those kits were cheap and everywhere)

Also, if you don't need metal, you can buy a whole Hasegawa F-18 kit for less than the metal gear costs.

Great idea!!!

Cheap F-18 in stock: http://hlj.com/product/HSGD10/Air (but the gear is molded in dark blue--harder to paint a light color).

Just as cheap and molded in grey: http://hlj.com/product/HSGD8/Air Out of stock, but I bet they can get it in MUCH quicker than they say---that is a perennial kit that is constantly re-issued.

Or just check a local hobby shop---every 1/72 Hasegawa F-18 will have the same landing gear, the only reason some cost $10 and some cost $40, are the decals. Buy whatever one's on clearance/sale.

For people in the US---check Hobby Lobby and Michael's---with their perpetual 40-50% off a single item coupons, you may be able to snag a Revell F-18 REALLY cheap. And the gear will be just as good. If you're lucky, you may find an Academy F-18.

Hm. I'd consider dropping my 31J preorder in favor of this one, if not for all those clashing colors... Is it different from the 31J in any significant way besides the head design?

EDIT:

I say all that and then immediately change my preorder to the 31S. Clearly I just like to complain. :p

On a related note, just got an RVF-25 and Super Pack kits. Here's hoping I enjoy the build and get an idea of what to expect from this newer kit. (What's the Hasegawa RVF going for nowadays?)

Edited by kajnrig

Did anyone notice the 1/72 SV-262?

pose-ability is the same as frontier stuff. Still no aggresive gerwalk A-Stance. There is nothing wrong though on the Battroid mode of the frontier kits though (except for the actual design of the toy that make them back and top heavy)