Bandai 1/72 Scale Transformable Macross Δ Kits

IXTL

Unless Hasegawa releases one, you'll be spending far more money on this than you should for a fighter mode only kit. Let's hope Has gets into the game much sooner than they did for Frontier. If memory serves, the Bandai kits were 6400 yen or something like that. The Hasegawa kits are nearly half that. You could argue the Bandai kits aren't that expensive, given the quantity of parts and gimmicks included, or you could say the Hasegawa kits are way overpriced. But the difference in ease of assembly and detail is definitely in Hasegawa's favour.

I'm hoping to hear from Hasegawa sooner, given this new "Macross Modellers" manufacturer's consortium that's formed recently.

I don't remember the VF-25 kits being quite that expensive, but I think I did get them on sale at the time.

What I do remember is that prices for the armored pack kits were just obscene, and they never went on sale.

Also, let's hope that 9 yrs later Bandai knows how to make an interlocking model kit for tight fighter mode unlike the pure friction-held VF-25 kits (has PTSD trying to get super VF-25 to look good in fighter mode... god damn legs!)

I think they solved this issue easily with the armored packs, but the base VF-25 kits and supers were floppy messes in fighter.

Fortunately, it's not hard to add a wing glove locking tab almost identical to ones on the 1/60 v.2 DX version (a couple holes drilled and filed, and a locking tab glued in place). I haven't tried the same thing with the super versions, but once the v.2 DX came out, I really lost most of my reason for owning the 1/72 kits.

Edited by Chronocidal

I'm hoping to hear from Hasegawa sooner, given this new "Macross Modellers" manufacturer's consortium that's formed recently.

They'll probably give Bandai some time in the spotlight for their transforming kits, then once the initial run or two of those are shipped they'll start announcing things.

Unless Hasegawa releases one, you'll be spending far more money on this than you should for a fighter mode only kit. Let's hope Has gets into the game much sooner than they did for Frontier. If memory serves, the Bandai kits were 6400 yen or something like that. The Hasegawa kits are nearly half that. You could argue the Bandai kits aren't that expensive, given the quantity of parts and gimmicks included, or you could say the Hasegawa kits are way overpriced. But the difference in ease of assembly and detail is definitely in Hasegawa's favour.

Mentioned in another thread, but Hasegawa WILL be releasing fighter versions of the Delta mechs soon, not years later.

Ironically, he's gotten incredibly lazy with the wings. My kingdom for a new valk where the entire upper fuselage and wings don't just "float" on the battroid's back, not folded/hidden at all. The VF-1 did it best, the VF-11 at least TRIED to do something with that area. Kawamori seems to have basically given up doing anything with the wings after that.

Oh I dunno, I thought the "wings as skirts/hip tassels/etc." on the 19 was a neat idea, and the 21... well, it just has them fold in, but it makes for a nice wide-shouldered, big backpack look.

I'd like to see him revisit that idea. Or something along the lines of the VF-4G, with the wings mounted on the shoulders. Maybe go "retro" and have them form a V on either side of the head a la V2 Gundam? My first inclination is that it would look dumb, but then I'm already not a big fan of the 31, so... eh.

I'd wager the latest backpacks are like that because of the current trend of mecha designs with stupidly exorbitant backpacks. It started with Gundam Seed, and it's only gotten worse from there. More fins and kibble, more junk poking every which way, a "cooler" mecha.

Edited by kajnrig

I would think its much easier to implement in pure fighter mode, since hasegawa fighters do not transform. Just a matter of plugging in landing gears, so the proportions should be sleeker.

Plastic thickness also plays a surprisingly large role. Thinner plastic means more accurate scaling means better proportions and better details.

I would think its much easier to implement in pure fighter mode, since hasegawa fighters do not transform. Just a matter of plugging in landing gears, so the proportions should be sleeker.

Also hoping that Hasegawa provides bigger wheels. It's my personal nitpick when it comes to Valkyrie landing gears.

Hmm I didnt remember the old bandai vf-25's being molded in color, or should i say it only came in grey with stickers.

Looks like with the 31 bandai is breaking bandai's own trend (if anyone can correct me) by having it molded in color.

Also hoping that Hasegawa provides bigger wheels. It's my personal nitpick when it comes to Valkyrie landing gears.

I wouldnt knock bandai for that yet, its still only the CAD prototype, designed to get our tails a-wagging.

Hmm I didnt remember the old bandai vf-25's being molded in color, or should i say it only came in grey with stickers.

Looks like with the 31 bandai is breaking bandai's own trend (if anyone can correct me) by having it molded in color.

Are you thinking of the non-transforming 1/100(?) fighter mode kits?

No, am referring to bandai's all transforming 1/72 scale frontier kits. In my example i had roy's so the grey comment.

With delta, there is so much color in one valk.

I read the description on HLJ that the 31 would be molded in color and so am wondering if thats a change bandai is making.

Edited by seti88

Bandai 1/72's were molded almost entirely in the correct colors. Trust me i have over 10 of them.

Pretty sure these will be around the same. They include both decals and stickers and we cam only hope they aren't floppy like the plain 25's or the

..vf-1

That's actually some welcome news!

Might get that armoured VF-25S kit that I've been eyeing off for a very long time after all. And maybe get it from HLJ, too.

The Armored and Tornado kits are solid and totally worth it :D

I know there's legit reasons to hate the regular and super VF-25's but the armored and tornado 25's are legit in fighter and battroid mode, though gerwalk is still kinda finicky

I found many of them available second hand (ish) from the likes of Jungle and Mandarake, but the shipping cost was always stupidly expensive. With a big retailer like HLJ or even HobbySearch, this should come down a lot. I know the kits are heavy so there's merit to the high shipping costs, but to pay nearly $50 for a kit that is about $75 was just too much. Looking forward to lumping it in with stuff I will be getting anyway. That's my hope, at least.

Yeah, shipping costs are Crazy for the Bandai valks. There's a lot, and I mean.. A LOT of wasted plastic on the Bandai sprues.

When I was just getting into my Macross Frontier phase I picked up a bunch of bandai Valks and a pair of trimmers while I was in Japan. I then cut every piece off the sprues and managed to carry home 5-6 VF-25's ziploc bags and it was glorious.

Edited by Duymon

Pick up a Tornado kit and a Hasegawa Super Messiah. Then you can make a Tornado fighter, and use the Bandai for a regular Battroid.

Pick up a Tornado kit and a Hasegawa Super Messiah. Then you can make a Tornado fighter, and use the Bandai for a regular Battroid.

Like you did? :p Not a bad idea at all.

As for me, I'm likely to grab one of the itasha Valks. Klan or Ranka? Or both? (Did they ever release a Sheryl version?)

Like you did? :p Not a bad idea at all.

As for me, I'm likely to grab one of the itasha Valks. Klan or Ranka? Or both? (Did they ever release a Sheryl version?)

They had full valk releases for Klan and Ranka and I'm sure those were limited editions.

There's also Cathy and Sheryl Decals but they are super hard to get now as they were part of a promotion

4543112594457_02.jpg

4543112587657_02.jpg

Tempted to buy an Armored VF-25F that I originally sold off.

I think I'll decide by the end of April to preorder the 1/72 VF-31J from CDJapan with my points and 3% off with the app.

Edited by sh9000