Bandai 1/72 Scale Transformable Macross Δ Kits

IXTL

Oh boy. Get the probably more solid and way cheaper but smaller fighter mode kits, or wait two months and get the bigger but less stable new kit? And I'm still itching to get one of the old 25s, too...

EDIT:

But man, those huge wing joints...

Edited by kajnrig

Wohooohooo! Me wants! :-D

Go Bandai GO!

Edited by Skypoet

• 3 weeks later...

Get those for the Battroids and wait for the Hasegawa fighters.

This.

The Frontier kit are actually a good Battroid model and if you stick to a mindset that it is not tranformable (just build it for one mode cause of tight tolerance, and decals laying on tabs, moving parts)), it is actually good kit.

Though if you want a stable transformable kit, just go buy the toy. It is what I did for frontier. No regrets

• 4 weeks later...

I know how much some people whine about Bandai "Gunpla" valks, but this VF-31 looks totally amazing! Now only the future will tell if it requires a lot of tweaking or not, when it comes to its articulations - the VF1 had some bad issues in that area, mostly at the hip joint, for example! I am currently tweaking an Aoshima Gernsback from Full Metal Panic. Substituting the Aoshima polycaps with Kotobukiya Polycaps gives promising results for the time being :-)... Pictures will follow!

Looks much better than the Frontier kits, let's hope the decals are improved, too. The paintjob still looks like a lot of work, and I wouldn't dare to transform the finished kit.

I think I'll do a completely custom paintjob, if the original paintjob is too hard to do with an airbrush and masking tape! :-) Sounds like a lot of fun to do! :-) And in case some out-of-the-box articulations are bad, I'll Kotobukiyafy them!

In terms of looks in all 3 modes, this looks like the best Valkyrie ever, yet!

The Macross Delta anime seems rather lame for the time being, but who cares! It's all about spreading love and peace through pop culture so I'll still like it no matter how lame it turns out :-D

Looks much better than the Frontier kits, let's hope the decals are improved, too. The paintjob still looks like a lot of work, and I wouldn't dare to transform the finished kit.

I don't think the Frontier kits were even bad exactly, they looked just fine if you put enough work into them... the amount of work required was the biggest roadblock though. :p I still think I like the shape of the model in fighter mode even a little better than the 1/60 toys, since the fighter profile looks a little cleaner.

Eh, I may get one or two of these, but the only reason I picked up so many of the 1/72 VF-25 kits was because, at the time they came out, the Bandai DX versions were absolutely hideous by comparison.

The big thing they seem to forget in their models though is that the leg needs a sideways thigh swivel for gerwalk. The multi-jointed hips and knees help a little, but that thigh joint is really necessary for any good gerwalk poses.

Edited by Chronocidal

I don't think the Frontier kits were even bad exactly, they looked just fine if you put enough work into them... the amount of work required was the biggest roadblock though. :p

Having built the Bandai VF-27 and VF-1 kits, this I agree. Lots of work required and a few areas of frustration. But I still had fun building them.

I'll buy at least one VF-31J and one VF-31A (if it happens). Both will likely be custom paint jobs.

Edited by Vifam7

Really petty gripe, but I hate that Bandai hasn't changed the style/size of their hands since the frickin' 1/100 No-Grade Gundam Seed days. I've seen them on everything from Macross Frontier kits to RE/100 to IBO. Like yeah, I get that they're probably perfectly functional and acceptable as a one-size-fits-all thing, but could they really not take five minutes to make sure the thumbs aren't clipping into the fingers? It's been like that for FIFTEEN YEARS NOW. COME ON BANDAI. HANDS DON'T WORK THAT WAY.

(It's even worse when you look at their Builders Parts hands and see that those are just as bad. They look worse than some of the default hands included in the HGUC GM kits.)

ra;lskdfj;alskdfj grumble grumble grumble.

Really petty gripe, but I hate that Bandai hasn't changed the style/size of their hands since the frickin' 1/100 No-Grade Gundam Seed days. I've seen them on everything from Macross Frontier kits to RE/100 to IBO. Like yeah, I get that they're probably perfectly functional and acceptable as a one-size-fits-all thing, but could they really not take five minutes to make sure the thumbs aren't clipping into the fingers? It's been like that for FIFTEEN YEARS NOW. COME ON BANDAI. HANDS DON'T WORK THAT WAY.

(It's even worse when you look at their Builders Parts hands and see that those are just as bad. They look worse than some of the default hands included in the HGUC GM kits.)

ra;lskdfj;alskdfj grumble grumble grumble.

NO worry, just wait for the resin B-Club hand parts that are way more detailed and only cost half as much as the kit itself

/sarcasm

Edited by Duymon

NO worry, just wait for the resin B-Club hand parts that are way more detailed and only cost half as much as the kit itself

/sarcasm

I'm sure that some 1/100 kn0ck0ff fully articulated Gundam hands would do the trick as well, while costing... 10$? :rolleyes: Hmmm can't find them anymore on the interwebs :-(

I'm sure that some 1/100 kn0ck0ff fully articulated Gundam hands would do the trick as well, while costing... 10$? :rolleyes: Hmmm can't find them anymore on the interwebs :-(

Eh. As impressive as articulated hands are, they lose a lot of their initial wow factor over a fairly short period of time. Joints loosen, painting is hard and can scratch away anyway, they don't look terribly "accurate"... The cons definitely outweigh the pros, in my eyes. I used to be all for articulated hands until I got what I wanted.

Eh. As impressive as articulated hands are, they lose a lot of their initial wow factor over a fairly short period of time. Joints loosen, painting is hard and can scratch away anyway, they don't look terribly "accurate"... The cons definitely outweigh the pros, in my eyes. I used to be all for articulated hands until I got what I wanted.

Ah, life is hard :rolleyes:

Looks great without the distracting colors.

That's why I'll go for a non-custom paintjob!

A nice pic for this blog showing the surface detail. (http://mac-log.com/goods/2030)

Lots of raised panels. Oh god I hope there's not a lot of seams to fill.

Also, let's hope that 9 yrs later Bandai knows how to make an interlocking model kit for tight fighter mode unlike the pure friction-held VF-25 kits (has PTSD trying to get super VF-25 to look good in fighter mode... god damn legs!)

2016-03-29_15h15_51.jpg

Edited by Duymon