Trying to pick my ideal Valkyrie kit!

Hayt

Hello everyone,

I'm brand spanking new to this forum but I've been reading it for a little while now and think I have enough information to formulate a post of my own.

I recently decided a want a Valkyrie kit to display but I only really want one so I'm a bit torn as what would be the single one for me. My favourite variant is the VF-1J but let's be honest the A,D and S are all real great. I'd like a Gerwalk kit because that's such an iconic feature of the Valkyries and the Hasagawa kits look awesome and have the A stance. My question about those which I haven't been able to work out from photos and forum posts is whether or not the Gerwalk Hasagawa has any articulation to allow for slightly different poses.

Another question is I know Hasagawa kits don't really use color molding but fortunately I've read that the Hasagawa transfers are really comprehensive so that you don't need a heap. Do you think you'd get a good effect on a model kit with just spray coats for the white and black sections, panel lining and transfers?

My local hobbystore has the Milla/Max Gerwalk Hasagawa kit and I'm wondering two thinks about it. Firslty does it come with parts to make Milla OR Max or Milla AND Max? The box didn't make this clear. As well as that, since the plastic is uncolored is there anything to stop me from buying that kit and just using white coats and then transfers to make it look Hikaru's/someone elses VF-1J?

I'd love to hear what people think about the various VF-1J kits or any great VF-1 kits (either Gerwalk or fighter mode).

Thanks

Edited by Hayt

Thanks! Hmm that's pretty tempting. I've alo been on and off again on the idea of getting the 1/72 transformable Bandai VF-1 S/A. From what I read its looks pretty good with just some panel lining and has some clever engineering but its kind of flimsy and none of the 3 modes look as good as dedicated models for that mode. Anyone made one of those have an opinion?

Edited by Hayt

To be more specific, the Max/Miria kit is a standard Super VF-1J Gerwalk in white/gray with a decal sheet specific to the two of them (mostly a few stripes here and there).

I don't know about articulation, but I'd imagine it's similar to Hasegawa's battroid kits, ie articulated enough in the major joint areas.

As for the Bandai VF-1, your assessment seems to be correct (I haven't built it either and don't intend to). If you want to play with your model, it's the kit for you... but even then it's so flimsy and delicate as to undermine itself. I haven't built the older VF-25 kits, but I'd imagine that they're a bit more rugged (just a bit) simply by virtue of being bigger.

Another question is I know Hasagawa kits don't really use color molding but fortunately I've read that the Hasagawa transfers are really comprehensive so that you don't need a heap.

Just to clarify this a bit (maybe you know this already), Hasegawa does mold the parts in a single base color that generally matches the paint scheme for that model. For example, the basic VF-1 kits for the "heroes" seem to be all molded in white, while the VF-1D is a cream color (you could theoretically just paint the orange parts), and the low visibility and Sonic Birds kits are a light gray, if I recall correctly. I would still want to paint them, but you could just add some limited color and the decals if that's what you wanted to do.

Personally, for a single display model, I would recommend the 1/48 Hasegawa VF-1A/J kit based on the amount of detail it shows off. I know that doesn't help with your desire for a Gerwalk, but I think the size would be more what you're looking for. I've only collected 1/72 kits to date, and the photos I see here of 1/48 models are pushing me in that direction.

There aren't any 1/48 Hasegawa kits other than in fighter mode. Gerwalk is only available in 1/72.

Oh I see. Good to know then although I'm still open to either. The 1/48 fighter van be built with wings either out or swept back but once it's complete are static right?

Hayt, as I understand it, the Vermillion name was used in the SDF Macross TV series, but I'm not sure if it was actually part of the dialogue or in only in books or other references (I haven't seen the original Japanese TV episodes, only the Robotech version). It's mentioned as the "Vermillion Platoon" of Skull Squadron in the Master Files SDF Macross VF-1 Squadrons book, consisting of Hikaru, Max, and Hayao Kakizaki's aircraft. Hasegawa produced the TV version VF-1A/J model and the movie version VF-1A/S in 1/48. The main difference is the cockpit. The TV version has a different display console and joystick arrangement from the movie, and the movie canopy bulges out more at the sides (more rounded). The pilots are also different, with the movie version having the large shoulder pads with yellow stripes.

Where is your hobby shop located, if you don't mind me asking? I was in Japan in October, and it was hard to find Macross models even over there. I live outside of Washington DC, and there are no good sci-fi hobby shops that I've found around here yet.

According to the discussion here, Vermilion TEAM is a part of Skull Squadron.

http://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/?showtopic=7015

That being said, Macross canon is as flexible as taffy, so for all we know, there IS a Vermilion Squadron and the typo on the model kit is not a typo at all.

EDIT:

Where is your hobby shop located, if you don't mind me asking? I was in Japan in October, and it was hard to find Macross models even over there. I live outside of Washington DC, and there are no good sci-fi hobby shops that I've found around here yet.

I'd like to know, too. Assuming you're in the US, you've got one heck of a hobby shop.

Edited by kajnrig

According to the discussion here, Vermilion TEAM is a part of Skull Squadron.

http://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/?showtopic=7015

That being said, Macross canon is as flexible as taffy, so for all we know, there IS a Vermilion Squadron and the typo on the model kit is not a typo at all.

EDIT:

I'd like to know, too. Assuming you're in the US, you've got one heck of a hobby shop.

I'm located in Australia in one of the big cities. I wonder if our geographical proximity to Japan means shipping minor stuff over is less difficult. That said it is mostly Gundam stuff. Like 3 shelves Gundam and one stack of Macross stuff.

I'm located in Australia in one of the big cities. I wonder if our geographical proximity to Japan means shipping minor stuff over is less difficult. That said it is mostly Gundam stuff. Like 3 shelves Gundam and one stack of Macross stuff.

Now that you mention it, I should admit that my local hobby shop (a small chain called Hobby Works) actually has a whole section of Gundam, as well as BSG, Star Wars, Star Trek, and some other stuff, plus Tamiya and some Mr. Color paints. They just don't have any Macross models!

One more question. Is there a difference in quality between the 1/48 VF-1A/S and the 1/48 VF-1J kits? Obviously the heads and transfers are different and I think the A/S comes with a Strike pack but are the main parts the same or was stuff retooled for the newer A/S? I've looked at the images of them but lack the expert eye.

The 1/48 VF-1A/S was the "Do You Remember Love" version, so it has the movie pilot figure and movie cockpit. The VF-1J is TV version for pilot and cockpit. There's a slight difference between the canopies too, but those kits include both type.