Give up on 1/60 for 1/100?

DuffCon

I see both as having their own pros and cons, Though I personally prefer the 1/60 as they have more of a presence. Although 1/100 is cheaper than 1/60, I'm willing to pay more for a higher end product, but I can only just afford those arcadia 1/60s.

There is a reason that all HM-R VF-1 releases are accompanied by option parts. I love HM-R, but I know the Valks are a poor substitute for their 2.2 1/60 siblings. The only real way HM-R Valks can compete is size and price. I think for a lot of us, HM-R is mostly about Zentraedi mecha and destroids with the Valks used to round out displays and dioramas. This may change if Bandai comes through on offering more exotic Valks (FB2012 VF-4 / VF-2A) and Figuarts Zentraedi.

However, if the current pricing trend and limited selection in 1/60 continues while HM-R becomes more and more complete 1/100 may become dominant by default. In which case 1/60 will be for favorites only for most collectors instead of constituting the backbone of a collection. Bandai's DX-C could still change all of this by releasing $150-ish VF-1's in 1/60 with option parts or by keeping 1/35 VF-1's relatively competitive with Arcadia's increasingly pricey 1/60 line (VF-0S anyone?).

As a side note I would love to see Bandai release Zentraedi pilots as part of an upscale gashapon/candy toy line like 66 Action currently being used for DBZ. It seems weird to have functional pilot compartments for the Regult et al. and no available pilots.

There is a reason that all HM-R VF-1 releases are accompanied by option parts. I love HM-R, but I know the Valks are a poor substitute for their 2.2 1/60 siblings. The only real way HM-R Valks can compete is size and price. I think for a lot of us, HM-R is mostly about Zentraedi mecha and destroids with the Valks used to round out displays and dioramas. This may change if Bandai comes through on offering more exotic Valks (FB2012 VF-4 / VF-2A) and Figuarts Zentraedi.

However, if the current pricing trend and limited selection in 1/60 continues while HM-R becomes more and more complete 1/100 may become dominant by default. In which case 1/60 will be for favorites only for most collectors instead of constituting the backbone of a collection. Bandai's DX-C could still change all of this by releasing $150-ish VF-1's in 1/60 with option parts or by keeping 1/35 VF-1's relatively competitive with Arcadia's increasingly pricey 1/60 line (VF-0S anyone?).

As a side note I would love to see Bandai release Zentraedi pilots as part of an upscale gashapon/candy toy line like 66 Action currently being used for DBZ. It seems weird to have functional pilot compartments for the Regult et al. and no available pilots.

Excellent points.

And I'm going to keep harping (or beating the dead horse) about how I think Bandai should develop a new 1/55 scale VF-1 with the same type of innovations seen from Yamato/Arcadia and Bandai's own HiM-R line.

A nicely done renewal version of 1/55 scale VF-1 would make me VERY tempted to ditch the 1/60 scale VF-1s, especially since there don't seem to be any VF-1's coming from Arcadia any time soon, if ever.

-b.

Until Bandai releases all the 1/60 VF-X/YF-X's Yamato/Arcadia has released so far, the most comprehensive line is the 1/60. Yamato covered SDFM, DYRL?, Macross Plus, Macross 7, Macross Zero. It's true we are missing more enemy mecha (although there's the Queadluun Rau, and the HDP Regult).

So far in 1/60 we have: VF-0, SV-51, VF-1 (what is missing, Alaska Base, Funny Chinese and Orguss Valk?), VF-4 VF-11, YF-19, YF-22, VF-19, VF-22, VF-17, Destroids (3 out of 4) and Queadluun Rau. There's the option of adding the Fan Racer and the HDP Regult.

The HM-R line is great for enemy mecha army building paired with a coupled VF's.

I'd say owing both lines is a win-win situation.

For me I find the 1/100 scale Valkyries too small, that scale works fine for enemy mecha because they're larger in-universe, but I like the 1/60 and 1/55 scale VF-1's because of their size and playability. Which I know, is completely subjective to the person.

-b.

1/48 or 1/55 or 1/60 or 1/100?

When the 1/55 were going for hundreds it was easy give it up for the 1/60.

When the 1/48 came out and looked better it was easy to give up the 1/60.

When they stopped making the 1/48 it was easy to give it up and the updated 1/60 looked really good.

Most of my collection is 1/60. I haven't bought one in years. The increase price is just too high. Their large size means there will never be a cheap shipping option. I might be okay spending that much for an occasional 1/60 that I really desire. I can't justify spending that much to collect them all. I'm not getting rid of my 1/60 collection. For the current price of one 1/60 I can get 2 in 1/100 scale instead and I'm getting bad guy mecha. They're making it easy for me to give up on the 1/60 for the 1/100.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm too late to the party of collecting valks, but I will stick with the 1/60 scale. Also I'm not the biggest completionist so I will be happy with whatever I like and can get to my collection. But if you really think that is better to go to a new scale, then do it but don't sacrifice you actual collection unless is totally necessary.

I do like smaller scale macross toys or model kits provided that they contain of perfect transformation without any parts forming which i dislike most. Also toys at a lower cost because sometimes nowadays the prices just not worth. Who doesn't like cheap & good? Make toys make money, HAHA. I'm not a rich man.... sobs.

Edited by alvaro

1/60 is still king for me especially for being the closest to perfect transformation.

1/100 is great for variety but I really dislike the parts-formation nature of the valks. I don't mind extra accessories, but having multiple wings is annoying. Makes me feel like 1/100 are just cheaper toys (at least for the valkyries). I do like the smaller boxes for easier storage though.

Edited by Valkyrie23

1/100 is great for variety but I really dislike the parts-formation nature of the valks. I don't mind extra accessories, but having multiple wings is annoying. Makes me feel like 1/100 are just cheaper toys (at least for the valkyries).

^ highlighted comments above the two biggest things that are holding me back on getting into the HMR valks. I actually do not mind sacrificing line-art correctness for better, sturdier transformations and at the prices these are going for I could easily get into the v1 1/60 line on eBay.

My hope is that Delta takes off and we enter a whole new age of mass produced valks from Bandai on a scale not seen since the DYRL days. That may well be unlikely in which case I'll probably be collecting a few HMR valks off of people here once they get tired of them. I'm willing to give that a couple of years to play out though.

I'm a late adopter in lots of things.

Edited by Mazinger

^ highlighted comments above the two biggest things that are holding me back on getting into the HMR valks. I actually do not mind sacrificing line-art correctness for better, sturdier transformations and at the prices these are going for I could easily get into the v1 1/60 line on eBay.

why would you ever want to do that to yourself though? :huh:

why would you ever want to do that to yourself though? :huh:

Hmm, point taken. I've never had a v1 1/60. Aside from the legs partsforming, they do look good, but they certainly haven't endeared themselves around here.

Since my house once got real close to looking a lot like a toy store in multuple rooms, as per the wife I now have but one wall I am allowed to display my collection. Sure, there are a few select pieces we both enjoy that grace our living room, but the bulk of what I have is kept on my one wall. Mind you, I have MP Transformers (going for a full G1 S1 collection), Star Wars TBS/Figuarts/MAFEX, SW/TMNT/LotR Lego, a decent TMNT section... Funko Pops... AND my guitars & amplifier. Needless to say, space & funds are limited. So for me, I still have my 3 favorite Yamato VF-1 v2s, but they're boxed/stored & I'm done with 1/60. The HM-R 1/100 scale is perfect for me both in size & price. In the space that took up just 3 of the 1/60s I now have 2 valks 2 Regults and there's a spot waiting for the Glaug. And I'm really just displaying them, once I get them posed the way I like I'm not handling them at all really. The choice was easy to go all in 1/100 once I saw they were making the Destroids & enemy mecha.

My rule to live by these days is... If I can display it, I will buy it. If I can't, I have to pass. I've narrowed my collections down to the bare minimum and I'm still only able to display like 1/3 of what I have. Hahaha

Edited by atreyu2112

The HMR are awesome! The only parts swapping NEEDED between the 3 modes is the canopy/heatshield. The gunpod handle also has to be removed to attach in fighter. To make it look better in battroid you CAN use the better hands and smaller wings. The toys are very posable and look and feel solid in all 3 modes. Definitely not cheap and worth more than their MSRP IMO. Especially when compared to the Arcadias, which I've started collecting also.

That's my motto too. If I can display it I'll buy it. Toys I keep in box inside closet and never make part of the display rotation are sold off. I've paid for all my 1/100 preorders this year by selling toys that I wasn't displaying.

If I had the space to display stuff I'd get into the 1/60, no doubt bigger stuff is more impressive. That's why I'm not really that excited about the HMR valks (except maybe Miria/Max models). But reality is different, so I'll have to pass on 1/60 scale.