"Backdating" Hasegawa's 1/72 VF-1 Cockpit

VF-1A Grunt

As I mentioned in my initial intro post, I'm fascinated by the vast amount of technical info associated with the Macross series and hope to replicate some of the interesting features of the mecha as I get back into modeling again. I like the way the VF-1 Master File and the Mecha Manual describe the SDFM cockpit as an earlier version and the DYRL cockpit as a later (Block 6) improved variant. I'd like to replicate both versions in model form to show this production variation in my models - maybe display them in a side-by-side flight line diorama eventually.

As I'm sure all of you know, the Hasegawa model comes with the later style DYRL cockpit as shown here in the Mecha Manual:

http://www.macross2.net/m3/macrossdyrl/vf-1a-fastpack/vf-1-dyrl-cockpit2.gif

I'd like to modify the Hasegawa model to "backdate" it to the earlier SDFM cockpit shown here:

http://www.macross2.net/m3/sdfmacross/vf-1a-valkyrie/vf-1-tv-cockpitexterior2.gif

I don't plan to go totally crazy, but I'd like to change the main console and the joysticks, and then add the throttle on the left and the HUD. The VF-1D in particular seems like it should have the SDFM style cockpit, since it's supposed to represent an early variant, before it was replaced by the VT-1. I found a few listings for a PE kit from Dreammodels that appears to be designed to do this exact console modification, but I wanted to ask the group here about it before I order a few of them. The only source I've seen seems to be several eBay sellers in China. Is this a legitimate manufacturer, and not a copy of another brand's product? It looks like Dreammodel makes a number of PE kits for various aircraft models.

Has anyone else attempted this type of kitbash? I plan to dig out one of my old Bandai kits to see how they did their version. I can probably build the throttle and other small details with bits of styrene, as long as a I can use the Dreammodel kit to change the console.

When I eventually make some progress on this, I'll post some photos. Thanks!

True, but he wants 1/72 and maybe for very good reasons. Space? Fitting in with other models? All things to consider, as good as the 1/48 is and all.

As for dream model, I've bought some sets from them for things other than macross and they're actually really good. Certainly worth a try.

Thanks for the feedback. I've been planning to buy one of the 1/48 VF-1A/J kits as a centerpiece display model - I do love the detail of the larger scale, so I want to have an example, but as mickyg stated, 1/72 is my primary scale because of the options available (the many Hasegawa paint scheme variations), all the other models (e.g. Destroids), and to maximize space. I have some diorama ideas that would just be too large in 1/48.

I had no idea that they offered two different cockpits in 1/48. I knew about the two different canopies that were included but didn't realize that extended to the cockpit details also. I may buy the 1/48 kit sooner rather than later to have as an example to follow in 1/72. Thanks!