Bandai Macross Δ Mecha Collection Small Scale Plastic Model Kits

IXTL

I like the fact that there's at least a lot of clear on those stickers. That should make it easier to cut them to proper shape, should I deign to go that route. Otherwise a very nice-looking kit. Looking forward to building it once it ships out with the rest of my Private Warehouse.

Damn, can't find these anywhere in Hong Kong and the ones I ordered from HLJ seem to be lost in transit.

Are they like hot potatoes there? Sorry to hear abt the transit problem, but i trust cust service of HLJ should be able to ship sort it out for you..

Nice build, but oy, those literally spotty stickers...

How... how does one theoretically go about turning a theoretical sticker sheet into a theoretical set of waterslide decals? For theory's sake, of course.

No, but seriously, I'm really wracking my brain wondering what strategy would give me the least headaches while minimizing sticker usage.

EDIT:

Are there no stickers for the insides of the tail fins? They should have the same blue pattern as the outside.

Edited by kajnrig

Yeah, I'm wondering the same thing. I get it, they're super cheap and I'm OK with what you get for the money, but it certainly has me wondering what can be done to make them a bit better for a small investment.

I can answer the "turning stickers into decals" question for you - scan them and turn them into a vector drawing that can be printed on decal paper. But that will only work for the dark areas. If there are white markings and they go over dark plastic, it's not going to work. White decal paper might be an option but not if there are places you'd have to cut small areas from the paper - that'd just be too hard to pull off correctly.

As for the missing markings on the inside of the tails, I'm with ya there, too. I also notice there's absolutely nothing on the underside of the fighter. So a quick observation about what likely needs paint to really get a completed look:

• Engine/feet
  • Intake covers
  • Sides of the legs (should be the same purple as the top of the fighter)

I have to stress again though, I like what you get for the money!

Confirm there are no stickers for the inside of the tail fins and no stickers for the underside of the fighter.

My middle-age eyes had a bit of a problem lining up the panel lines on the stickers with the panel lines on the plane last night.........hahaha. I guess I should have waited until the weekend to build the kit in my sitting room in daylight conditions rather than building it at night in my bedroom.......LOL

Vigorous nodding, to basically all of that (what mickyg said) up to and including the last bit.

Well, I've ordered 3 of the 171 and 2 of the 31. Three will go to the niece and nephews, and whatever's left over (hopefully one of each lol) I might try making decals for. I dunno. We'll see when they arrive.

Any good sources for clear and/or white decal paper? (Given the lack of white ink, what's the best alternative? I remember perusing some thread somewhere talking about that but I've since forgotten.)

Edited by kajnrig

Definitely painted. It's most obvious... well, everywhere, but especially on the ankle cuffs, which are white all around where the stickers would only cover the sides of them, not the lips. Are the ears on the 31S supposed to be dual laser cannons a la VF-1S? Otherwise what's with the weird shape?

That SV-262 looks as good as always, even though I still can't tell how the transformation works. lol

Also, got impatient and had my set shipped out today. All this talking about them made the temptation too powerful. :p

Same question as before: Should I need white decals, anyone have advice on good sources for clear and/or white decal paper? Apparently there are now white decal papers that will dry white when you apply them?

Screwed up the sticker sheet when building the VF-171 last night........urghhhh.

on the VF-31J a couple of days ago I used a pair of tweezers to remove the stickers from the sheet and they came of easily.

However, for the VF-171, I think the sticker sheet was not properly die-cut, as most of the stickers didn't want to come off and I tore and twisted some trying to remove them.

Luckily I was able to remove the VF-171's cockpit canopy sticker without problems, but all the others gave me grief.

So my VF-171 is mostly bare with just the panel lines done and only two stickers successfully applied (canopy) and the black V on the back-plate.

Oh well, still looks OK and these kits are only temporary cheap holdovers until the DX toys and TomyTecs come out, just so I have something hold in my hand to zoom around......hahaha

Graham

They are nice enough kits for the price point, but I definitely won't be buying any more. I just got the VF-31J, because I wanted a physical representation of the VF-31 to zoom around until the DXs and TomyTecs are released.