On 9/3/2017 at 5:47 AM, electric indigo said:

So the New First Order hasn't learned a bit and comes up with another Death Star?

https://www.revell.de/produkte/star-wars/star-wars-episode-viii/id/06760.html

csm_06760__I_KYLO_RENS_TIE_FIGHTER_eb862

Those who fail to learn from the lessons of the past are doomed to repeat them. -_-

Pretty sure the background image is current, if for no other reason that I worked for several companies who licensed Disney merchandise and I can say without hesitation that Disney are anal-retentive sticklers for detail. They wouldn't have approved that product image if it weren't from their own style guide.

Except... those are old regular TIE fighters.  Unless there's some return to the classic colors, I don't see that being an entirely new image.

Also, I'm betting that's a render of the mold for the kit itself, because no self-respecting concept artist would draw cannon barrels as solid pegs with literally no detail, but Revell's kits have that in spades.

The Croissant Wing design actually has a lot going for it though, and is basically everything they should have done for the pizza slice.  Tiers of superstructure, layers on the hull, actual details that speak to the size of it, instead of a uniform flatness everywhere.

Edited by Chronocidal

I pointed this out on a couple of other forums about the A-Wing box art, but most think it is just packaging art that has nothing to do with the movie...

IMG_0100.JPG.838f9c6a868dc298e0b1f64d5bdb7a2e.JPG

notice the B-Wings in the background. I really hope they do make an appearance in the movie, but like I said most just think they are place holders by Revell's art department. Maybe they saw a TIE with bent wings and though "Darth Vader" and put the Death Star behind it.

Chris

I mean.. it could be a lot worse, but it's missing the entire legitimacy that using actual aircraft parts lent the design.

it just looks like another case of "We're not creative enough to make something new, so how can we tweak an old design to look updated?"  Which.. can work?  But it's getting old, and someone needs to call them out on it.

Yet another Mcquarrie-look, which already showed up in Rebels.

MCQ-awing.jpg

Is it so hard for this generation to be a little more imaginative?

Kylo's TIE is literally Vader's TIE Advanced with Interceptor protrusions on the front.

Azrael beat me to it, that the new A-wing is essentially McQuarrie's original concept design, even more so than the T-70 x-wing which only has a passion resemblance (the split intakes) to his original concept design.

Chris

2 hours ago, Mommar said:

As a massive A-Wing fan i really dislike that new design.

I actually like the "update" not because of the Mcquarrie design, but I like that it is more streamlined in profile. The OT A-wings are deceptively thick when viewed from the side. It was always my least favorite of the big 4 Alliance fighters. Hopefully Bandai will get around to making these and the long wanted B-wing.

Chris

I'm still waiting for literally anyone to make the obvious update and give the A-wing actual vents in the front prongs, like it looks like it should. :lol:

I'd forgotten all about the Rebels thing though.. and that... is really really odd.  Like.. squadrons equipped with P-51s flying over Afghanistan levels of weird.

On 9/4/2017 at 8:24 PM, Chronocidal said:

I'm still waiting for literally anyone to make the obvious update and give the A-wing actual vents in the front prongs, like it looks like it should. :lol:

I'd forgotten all about the Rebels thing though.. and that... is really really odd.  Like.. squadrons equipped with P-51s flying over Afghanistan levels of weird.

Well.....there are really now 3 different A-wing types:

1) The Rebels A-wing which has some of the shape elements of the McQuarrie design (straight line from the front of the nose with a flare out by the weapons pods, extra cockpit windows, some sort of vent scoop behind the cockpit, concept type weapon pods, and a straight up McQuarie paint job) but it also has the beefiness of the Jedi A-wing, and lacks some of the concept A's details like those long bumps on either side of the canopy.

IMG_0131.JPG.727ce60e9aceb8b6f624c8070e378c09.JPG

2) Return of the Jedi A-Wing. This has the different shape with the "flare" at the front of the fuselage and then straight lines back to the weapons pods. Different weapon pods, the split front edge of the fuselage, and no extra windows. And is a thick little monster. ;)

IMG_0132.GIF.96043bd1006665b028269ba4c220c482.GIF

3) The Last Jedi A-wing, which has details of both versions above plus more of McQuarries original details and is far more slender.

IMG_0133.JPG.41fff7ec585b216e2cc342debae3d8d0.JPG

here's all 3 from similar angles

Rebels

IMG_0137.JPG.ff5f123237378f441ad59341aac77fe9.JPG

RotJ

IMG_0136.JPG.4436e7d21eafceec08a7aba5dcdb7159.JPG

TLJ

IMG_0135.thumb.PNG.764180ec2ad4f8ea3c5d6beef8bdf287.PNG

Chris

Edited by Dobber

On 02/09/2017 at 5:22 AM, TangledThorns said:

Was at Target yesterday and they are going full Star Wars with their promotions for the film with signs, cardboard characters and new toys.

Wasn't it Force Friday or something like that?

I watched a few reviews on youtube and nothing really inspired me to go out and buy anything.  Went to the local Toys R Us with my 2 yr old today to check them out in person, and in my personal opinion, the currect selection of Star Wars toys sucks balls.

6 hours ago, electric indigo said:

I don't know what the concept designers are doing. It's The Prequels all over again.

You can bash the prequels for its extremely poor writing all you want and I'd agree, but the prequels had some great mecha design. The Naboo starfighter and space yacht remain some of my favorite space ship designs ever.

naboo ship.png

I agree that the Flash Gordon era ships were indeed great, but they closer they got to the OT timeline, the weaker the designs became IMO. What I do like is the lineage of the Stormtrooper design, from the Clone Trooper to the recent iTrooper.

It's amazing that the McQuarrie/Johnson machines are cultural icons, and nothing comes up to fill their footsteps.

2 hours ago, azrael said:

A Statement Regarding Star Wars: Episode IX

Thankfully it's early, but did he actually want to be.... creative and not want to recycle McQuarrie designs????

What is this, the fourth director Disney has fired in the past year or so over Star Wars and "creative differences"?

12 hours ago, UN Spacy said:

Hopefully Justin Lin or Michael Bay can get a shot. 

2 hours ago, jenius said:

... ya know, provided they don't put Michael Bay in there. 

Just checking... There's no restriction to saying his name 3 times right? Cuz that's already 2 mentions.

13 hours ago, AN/ALQ128 said:

What is this, the fourth director Disney has fired in the past year or so over Star Wars and "creative differences"?

3 minutes ago, azrael said:

Just checking... There's no restriction to saying his name 3 times right? Cuz that's already 2 mentions.

tumblr_m86ndkqor71r8wh0co1_500.jpg

2 hours ago, derex3592 said:

I might get kicked out of the thread for this.....but I have wondered for quite a while now what David Fincher could do with a Star Wars movie ...:ph34r:

Probably a lot better than he did with Alien 3.

It'd just have to be a darker story to suit his style/strong points.

Hopefully Rian Johnson will opt to or be offered the chance to direct VIIII, all signs point to TLJ being decent.

-b.