Darth Maul as the sole baddie is an old idea, but it WAS SUCH A GOOD ONE. And so obvious, too.

That said, Maul as Backflipping Evil Ninja Devil is perfect as is. Just have him constantly, silently, sadistically slicing Jedi into ribbons through all three movies until the only option left is for Anakin to brute force him, and then even as he's being Force Choked to death he doesn't struggle or beg for mercy. Just has this sort of gleeful look on his face, because he's reveling in the darkness he's bringing into the world.

In the trailer they say it's basically time to end the Jedi, so maybe it's Luke that wants an end to the whole dark and light thing and going back to that old idea of bringing balance to the force. That may make for a more interesting idea if that finally happens and maybe we'll actually get some good surprises in this film.

Pretty clear to me it was Luke.  In any case,  I hope they copy Empire for episode 8 as they did with New Hope for episode 7; seeing Luke ride piggyback on Rey while she runs around and does flips will be hilarious...

9 hours ago, Big s said:

In the trailer they say it's basically time to end the Jedi, so maybe it's Luke that wants an end to the whole dark and light thing and going back to that old idea of bringing balance to the force. That may make for a more interesting idea if that finally happens and maybe we'll actually get some good surprises in this film.

It could signal the birth of a whole new order. If you notice, the Jedi are heavily influenced by the Knights Templar from the structure of the order to their philosophy, not to mention how the (corrupt) political leader turned on them, declared them enemies of the state and persecuted them. The KT survivors went into exile in Spain and Scotland, where they passed their teachings on. Time will tell if they will borrow another page from history.

Does anyone else have a feeling there may be old characters coming back as Force Ghosts in this film?  Yoda, Anikin or Obi-wan?

I think Luke became a bitter old hermit and Rey's going to change his mind.

2 hours ago, peter said:

I think Luke became a bitter old hermit and Rey's going to change his mind.

I think that line at the end of the teaser where Luke says that the Jedi need to end probably plays at the very beginning when Rey presses him to train her.

3 minutes ago, azrael said:

I think that line at the end of the teaser where Luke says that the Jedi need to end probably plays at the very beginning when Rey presses him to train her.

That was my guess as well.  He's reluctant to train anyone else because of his apparent failure with Darth Millenial.  Would be cool to see some flashbacks.

I think this teaser revealed a lot less than previous trailers.  It didn't build up a lot of excitement compared to the Battlefront 2 trailer, but I'm hoping the film itself will deliver.

On ‎4‎/‎16‎/‎2017 at 3:23 PM, Thom said:

Couldn't care less about similar trailers.:D

The only thing I'm not liking are the ships seen in the battle sequence. No style or even rough grace at all about them. Hoping there are more, better looking ships coming.

Seeing a pair of A-wing tails in one scene is at least something different, but nothing from these new movies is really even remotely interesting looking as a ship.  Bad as the prequels were, they at least had some memorable and distinctive designs throughout (and things I actually bought models of).

If there's one main thing that's kind of depressing to me, it's that we're probably stuck with the same new X-wing design for the remainder of this trilogy, and I just can't bring myself to like it. :huh: 

I do like the X-Wings and we still have the Falcon, but I'm hoping we'll see more imagination in the ships.

And I could like it either way. Whether Luke is committed to ending the way the Jedi worked, or just letting it die away entirely as apparently the Sith have, or it's just his defeat and disappointment given a voice that Rey will have to battle against, I think I will enjoy it. Despite my initial reaction, I kinda hope they go out on a limb and he trains Rey in all aspects of the Force, combining Light and Dark. Not the least of which, I think it is something that Snoke will not expect. Snoke expects the Jedi of old, and I would love it if he was given a shock by Rey using both sides in her fight against the First Order.

Damn straight.   Say what you will about the prequels but at least they tried new things.  Not too crazy about the X Wing do-over either.  Why even bother to do episodes after 6 if this is going to be the case?

2 hours ago, Chronocidal said:

If there's one main thing that's kind of depressing to me, it's that we're probably stuck with the same new X-wing design for the remainder of this trilogy,...

I actually find that to be very depressing. At least Rogue One brought in new craft or 3 (Thank you Doug Chiang. At least one of the ILM alums has the balls to draw something new and still make it fit into this universe). It would be nice if they got rid of the Falcon and brought in something new. Hell, the designs in this new trilogy are, IMHO, all garbage cuz it looks all the same as Episodes 4-6. And I still can't like the 'Trooper-look. None look scary and the guns look like Nerf guns with the white with black parts.

This old classic

E-11_blaster_rifle_DICE.png

vs this

Sonn-Blas_F-11D_blaster_rifle.png

44 minutes ago, azrael said:

I actually find that to be very depressing. At least Rogue One brought in new craft or 3 (Thank you Doug Chiang. At least one of the ILM alums has the balls to draw something new and still make it fit into this universe). It would be nice if they got rid of the Falcon and brought in something new. Hell, the designs in this new trilogy are, IMHO, all garbage cuz it looks all the same as Episodes 4-6. And I still can't like the 'Trooper-look. None look scary and the guns look like Nerf guns with the white with black parts.

This old classic

E-11_blaster_rifle_DICE.png

vs this

Sonn-Blas_F-11D_blaster_rifle.png

Agreed.  When it came to new, interesting designs, Rogue One has it in spades.

Didn't JJ purchase all the paintball guns in the UK in preparation for filming Eps.7?  (I remember reading that somewhere...)  So, technically, they're not Nerf guns, but paintball guns!  :lol:

Also, weren't the trooper guns on the OT based off of real guns?  (again, I think I remember reading that somewhere... in MW?)  If so, it would explain why the former look lethal, and the latter look like toys! :wink:

Yeah, a huge chunk of the props used in the OT were manufactured from surplus military hardware, everything from uniforms to weapons. 

The original stormtrooper rifle was built on a Sterling Arms Mk4/L2A3 sub-machine gun.  Han's gun was a Mauser C96, and a few variations popped up on the design, including the gun Luke used in ESB.  Heavy rifles seen in use in ANH were nearly stock MG34 German machine guns from WWII.  Luke spent most of two movies running around in German military uniforms.  Heck, Luke's (Anakin's) lightsaber's handgrips were made from windshield wipers off of a jeep.

If anything, I'd bet the new designs are specifically to make merchandising easier.  It's a lot easier to get away with making movie-accurate toy guns if the guns in question don't look real to begin with. :p 

But... yeah.  The ship designs of the new movies suck.  Rehashed OT designs with new greeblies and paintschemes, industrial junk that no one cared wasn't even visible on screen, and flying taco stands.  At least the X-wing looks almost new, but the stupid offset wings completely ruin the design for me.  Like.. it's half of a good design... the McQuarrie half. <_<

The... things.. seen in the new trailer that they're passing for ships are really missing the boat on multiple levels.  First off, they're ugly as hell.  Second, how do they expect to even attempt merchandising those pieces of space junk?  Has no one in their merchandising department gotten any clue from the piles of unsold die-cast landing craft and whatever else is flooding the shelves?  People want attractive merchandise based on attractive designs.  So far, these new movies are providing neither in any significant amount.

Tough crowd, I for one, LOVED the new T-70 X-wings. They seem like a logical progression of a very succeful design.

i also liked the new Storm Troopers, but agree about not liking the white trim on the blasters.

Chris

I'm fine with the redesigned X-wing but I'd much rather see something new. Problem is that the old designs are what people recognize, why take the risk to make something new when you can bank on nostalgia and make an easy billion bucks. That applies to just about everything in ep7 I suppose. If they are going to reuse old designs for the next few movies at least bring back the TIE Interceptor....

That's another thing that confused the heck out of me... If the interceptors, bombers, and advanced models were so much better, why weren't they further developed?  In 30 years, all they could come up with was a two person version with a turret, and still absolutely horrible aerodynamics and visibility?  The pace of technological development in the overall Star Wars universe is seriously like molasses trying to push itself uphill.

My dislike of the X-wing is entirely due to the wings though.  It's a nice enough design when they're closed, but that is the single most irritating ship design decision I've ever seen applied to an existing design, and it rubs every bit of my sense of style and design in the worst way possible.  Call it OCD, or whatever, but having them so horribly unbalanced and ruining the original symmetry of the design just makes my brain hurt.

In Star Wars technology goes backwards. It peaked in the prequels, devolved into the original trilogy, and now is just the same stuff being kicked around (and some vehicles even look haphazardly slapped together in the newest trailer). 

13 minutes ago, dizman said:

...Problem is that the old designs are what people recognize, why take the risk to make something new when you can bank on nostalgia and make an easy billion bucks. That applies to just about everything in ep7 I suppose.

And that's why we have an endless number or remakes coming out of Hollywood...Nostalgia crap. <_<

8 minutes ago, Chronocidal said:

That's another thing that confused the heck out of me... If the interceptors, bombers, and advanced models were so much better, why weren't they further developed?  In 30 years, all they could come up with was a two person version with a turret, and still absolutely horrible aerodynamics and visibility?  The pace of technological development in the overall Star Wars universe is seriously like molasses trying to push itself uphill.

I have more choice words but I'll refrain. When I see the Jedi Interceptor fighter from Episode III, I can see it leading to being mass-produced as the TIE, but then by Episode 7, we're still stuck in that exact shape but now with a turret and giant cog wheels. They could have revisited the old design that gave the pilot more visibility or combining the best of TIE Advanced and TIE Interceptor into a unique package but no. Let's just stick a 2nd chair in there and keep the exact shape.

My dislike of the X-wing is entirely due to the wings though.  It's a nice enough design when they're closed, but that is the single most irritating ship design decision I've ever seen applied to an existing design, and it rubs every bit of my sense of style and design in the worst way possible.  Call it OCD, or whatever, but having them so horribly unbalanced and ruining the original symmetry of the design just makes my brain hurt.

Yes, that split-wing design definitely ruins the symmetry of the original T-65.

3 minutes ago, jenius said:

In Star Wars technology goes backwards. It peaked in the prequels, devolved into the original trilogy, and now is just the same stuff being kicked around (and some vehicles even look haphazardly slapped together in the newest trailer). 

I would like to say it followed design trends. Like cars, the prequel designs had a unique-ness to their design. As we moved closer to the OT, things became more industrial and less unique (IRL, cars started to look like boxes). Now the curvy look is back in cars but it follows a function-from-form. But I don't see that in that trend in this trilogy's designs. It's like design came to a hand-brake-jack-knife stop. I don't see that trend.

6 hours ago, Dobber said:

Tough crowd, I for one, LOVED the new T-70 X-wings. They seem like a logical progression of a very succeful design.

i also liked the new Storm Troopers, but agree about not liking the white trim on the blasters.

Chris

Me too.

I loved the 'new' x-wing design. I say 'new' because it is a rehash of Macquarie's original design for the x-wing.

I'm looking forward to the slightly updated A-wing (pics have floated around of it too).

Unless there is a good reason in-story for it, I don't mind not seeing a new Y-wing or B-Wing. Wasn't the B-wing just the model that was phasing out the old y-wing? Besides the new x-wing out performs the old one and can lay down torpedos like a mo-fo, so maybe making a newer y-wing obsolete anyways.

But a new B-wing would be cool, cause it's a sweet design :) If you're wondering why it's calle a B-wing and not shaped like a B, lookit; https://kitbashed.com/blog/b-is-for-berkey

I don't mind the wings on the T-70, but I don't like the engine split. Imagine if the engines stayed a whole cylinder & the wings pivoted up & down around the axis of the cylinder. It'd be a merge of the T-65 & the ARC-170. I'm thinking of doing that mod on a Ship Collection T-70, actually.

I am a little disappointed in the new designs. Many of them do seem unimaginative. On the other hand, I appreciate that they're not just giving us more Letter-Wing Fighters, b/c that's what we'd expect. I mean, what's up with the no-longer-canon K-Wing?

Designs I have liked in the new canon:

Ghost, U-wing, Kylo Ren's Shuttle, Quad-jumper, Rey's speeder, T-70, Imperial Cargo Shuttle

Designs I'm not crazy about:

Krennic's Shuttle, FO Dropship, Han's Freighter, Imperial Tank, TIE Striker, those weird medium cruisers from the new trailer

Edited by Kelsain