50 minutes ago, slaginpit said:

Well this guy sums up that its not the film theories that killed the SW franchise

Generally like this guy, but yeah. Nailed it on the head as I was guilty of this when the film released. After viewing I kicked the lore to the curb (like the movie did) and it just wasn't too good. 

After thinking I'd though TLJ in with my pile of popcorn flicks like Jupiter Ascending and Wing Commander. Pretty to watch and turn my brain off while viewing. 

1 hour ago, Focslain said:

After thinking I'd though TLJ in with my pile of popcorn flicks like Jupiter Ascending and Wing Commander. Pretty to watch and turn my brain off while viewing. 

While I can appreciate the idea, turning my brain off enough to enjoy Wing Commander would require shutting down some vital background systems, like the ones keeping me breathing and pumping blood. :lol: 

On the plus side, I don't think TLJ was anywhere near as bad as WC.

48 minutes ago, Chronocidal said:

While I can appreciate the idea, turning my brain off enough to enjoy Wing Commander would require shutting down some vital background systems, like the ones keeping me breathing and pumping blood. :lol: 

On the plus side, I don't think TLJ was anywhere near as bad as WC.

No, but it's close. Honestly I think my old room mate either broke or re-inforced my bad movie tolerance with his Room marathon.

41 minutes ago, Dynaman said:
  Hide contents

That pic makes me think - Did Luke's mechanical hand fall to the ground when he died?  It should have if it did not.

Spoiler

Are we still doing spoilers?  Lol!

If his hand remained, what actually disappeared, was it just his cloak that fluttered off in the wind?  

What amount of clothing are they allowed to take with them when heading off to be a Force ghost?  Figure his socks, boots, pants, underwear and tunic should have been left behind as well :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

So, I can appreciate that would have tried to address that mess of a scene in TFA, and it does make for a more satisfying end for her, but it comes off as too little, too late to me.  If they wanted to play her off as that sort of self-serving character, they had ample opportunity to do it elsewhere.  She didn't get enough development in the first place to start giving the character flaws of that nature.

The whole mess of chaos that happened after the hyperspace torpedo kind of wrecked that sequence to begin with though, since it seemed like a very uneven cut.  It's like everyone in the hangar blacked out for a few minutes, and then suddenly Finn and Rose wake up somehow still alive, everything's on fire, and for some reason Phasma has decided to line up all her troops at the other end of the flaming hangar, and march menacingly toward them. 

They had blades across the undersides of their throats.  Any sudden motion that would have resulted in Finn and Rose being thrown that distance from them should have sliced their heads clean off.

They missed the boat on making Phasma just flippin bad-ass! She was good up until the shield scene, and then it was like 'wait, what?!' the mention of the trash compactor saved that scene with a laugh, but that was still there.

I really hope that since we didn't really see her die in TLJ that maybe she'll show up in 9, and they'll redeem the character into a true irredeemable sh*t who actually does things right for the First Order.

Edited by Thom

4 hours ago, Chronocidal said:

So, I can appreciate that would have tried to address that mess of a scene in TFA, and it does make for a more satisfying end for her, but it comes off as too little, too late to me. (...)

They had blades across the undersides of their throats.  Any sudden motion that would have resulted in Finn and Rose being thrown that distance from them should have sliced their heads clean off.

Agreed that they had plenty of opportunities.

I can appreciate why they cut the scene, though: it massively slows down the pace of the movie, right when it's gearing up toward its conclusion.  Also, the acting is a little flat.  Yes, Gwendoline Christie has only an eye to emote with on screen, but she doesn't have a look of desperation... and John Boyega is...

... well, it's easier to just say that the version that ended up in the movie fits better overall into the pacing of the movie, and the emoting - as little of it as there is - works better.

As for the physics and reality of it... the end of the movie sums up who this movie is for (everyone talking nonchalantly on the Millennium Falcon like they're at a party, despite just barely making it out alive AND losing most of their comrades, and the kid using his Force abilities on the broom).

... so yeah, if you want realism in your Sci Fi, I recommend "Interstellar".

56 minutes ago, Thom said:

I really hope that since we didn't really see her die in TLJ that maybe she'll show up in 9, and they'll redeem the character into a true irredeemable sh*t who actually does things right for the First Order.

Actually, that would be interesting.  I can almost see someone echoing Austin Power's "Why won't you die?" scene!  :lol:

7 minutes ago, sketchley said:

Also, the acting is a little flat.  Yes, Gwendoline Christie has only an eye to emote with on screen, but she doesn't have a look of desperation... and John Boyega is...

... well, it's easier to just say that the version that ended up in the movie fits better overall into the pacing of the movie, and the emoting - as little of it as there is - works better.

Considering they did seemingly the bare minimum post-production just to get it to this showable state, I think it's fair to say that a "final cut" of this scene would have had better ADR/sound mixing/etc.

Edited by kajnrig

2 hours ago, kajnrig said:

Considering they did seemingly the bare minimum post-production just to get it to this showable state, I think it's fair to say that a "final cut" of this scene would have had better ADR/sound mixing/etc.

I understand that, and that's not what I'm critiquing: only the acting and the pacing (the temp track is also lacklustre, but...)

• azrael changed the title to Star Wars Episode VIII: The Last Jedi, on home media Mar. 13, 2018
19 hours ago, derex3592 said:

Soooooo.....any fans or non fans gonna pick this up on 4K or blu ray...???

I’ve got the Target blu-ray that comes with the book preordered.  A lot of different blu-rays from Target have been coming with books lately.

There are good parts about this movie as long as you can overlook the obvious flaws.  The Rey/Kylo/Skywalker development was actually decent.  That they offed Snoke and cleared up a bunch of fan speculations of who is Snoke, his origins, and who are Rey's parents is fantastic.  Hopefully this is all at face value and may be set up to end the Skywalkers in episode IX.  Let's just hope they have the guts to kill off Benny boy, it will end the travesty of Lucas and his family drama, because honestly, who cares.   I think this is the best part of TLJ.  The beginning of the end for the Skywalkers.  Unless they do something stupid like Rey is Luke or Leia's secret daughter or some such crap.

As for the rest of the plot holes, the misused characters, let's just say it's no worse than anything associated with the prequels.  Sure, the whole pursuit bit, the poorly orchestrated space battles, and all the other crap is all bullshit, again, who cares.  I actually think the novelization did a better job here.  But if this trilogy ends the Skywalkers.  I'll be happy.  If you ask me, Rogue One, even for all of its flaws, is better than TLJ.  If they only didn't have Vader.  We don't need no force, just people blowing crap up will do.

I just don't care anymore, and this is coming from a guy who took his screen name from the ESB radio drama. Ever since the prequels came out and Lucas started tinkering with the originals to the point of adding Hayden Christensen to RoTJ little bits of the kid in me who looked at Star Wars as something kind of magical has completely eroded away.

The Last Jedi was a stupid mess and this Solo film has train wreck written all over it with a guy that doesn't look, act, or sound like Harrison Ford. I'll probably see it and episode IX, but I'm beyond really giving a crap about the franchise anymore.

It's ok, just let Disney work its magic, and you'll like it again.  Remember, if it confuses you at first, just go watch the movies in theater a couple more times, and then buy the Blu Ray.  Or better yet, just rent the movie over and over on Amazon.  Disney will surely reward you for this.  (well, as long as you own Disney stock)  Side show Bob and his minions would thank you.

On 3/11/2018 at 12:54 AM, derex3592 said:

Soooooo.....any fans or non fans gonna pick this up on 4K or blu ray...???

I won't because I didn't like the film well enough.

I'm also pretty much done with physical media after I sold all my DVD films and TV series collections two years ago for about a hundred dollars. Right now I prefer to buy a digital copy to save shelf space plus its very convenient to stream from almost anywhere with a good internet connection. Not to mention the Disney streaming service is coming so I'm certain the entire Star Wars library will be available to watch then too.

Edited by TangledThorns