2 minutes ago, Sildani said:

I trust no reviews. No one is like me. I will take the movie on its own merits. No spoilers. No reviews. Just me and my Milk Duds. 

Exactly the same sentiments here, dude. Having said that - I am excite to see this. I am 36 hours and 38 mins away from seeing this film :D

3 minutes ago, Vepariga said:

Saw it last night. Cant say I was overly impressed by it, I'm still torn tbh.

Alot to process, will probably need 2 viewings to take it all in. 

Alot of great moments, but alot of nonsense moments too. It's...different.

I am of the same mind. It often didn't even feel like Star Wars. I expect this movie to be equally as dividing as The Force Awakens was, but not really for the same reasons. 

Are there any spoiler rules? When are we allowed to discuss freely in here?

I think spoiler talk is off the table at the moment, but yeah It is a film with alot of problems.

I think the Marvel-tier humour in it so frequently was quite jarring. Just silly.

Alot of setup in TFA also that felt like it was scrubbed in TLJ. It's a weird feeling. 

3 hours ago, Lorindor said:

I am of the same mind. It often didn't even feel like Star Wars. I expect this movie to be equally as dividing as The Force Awakens was, but not really for the same reasons. 

Are there any spoiler rules? When are we allowed to discuss freely in here?

Fuk.

To the best of my recollection, Luke Skywalker was never portrayed in the films in any humorous ways, and I don't remember his character ever cracking any jokes. 

I understand that Mark Hamill is a funny dude, but I've only been seeing him in interviews recently, so I had some concerns that his real persona would leech into the film.

Watching it Friday morning, maybe it's better I stay out of this thread until then, lol!

31 minutes ago, peter said:

To the best of my recollection, Luke Skywalker was never portrayed in the films in any humorous ways, and I don't remember his character ever cracking any jokes. 

I understand that Mark Hamill is a funny dude, but I've only been seeing him in interviews recently, so I had some concerns that his real persona would leech into the film.

Watching it Friday morning, maybe it's better I stay out of this thread until then, lol!

He wasn't ever that funny, no, but his characterization in the original trilogy wasn't spectacular, and he wound up having to play the straight man to the rest of the cast sometimes.  I don't think I have an issue with him getting funnier in his old age though.  The character always needed some development, and Hamill's picked up a lot of perspective over the years that would definitely change how the character works.

I'm not sure when I'll get to see this one, but I can't say I'm in any particular rush.  I might wait until next weekend, and see it with family, just to have my younger brother to bounce thoughts off of.

I admit though, I'm tempted to spoil myself on everything just to see if it makes enough sense for me to care what happens.  Given TFA, my biggest worry is that after all the build up to whatever gets revealed in this movie, it'll turn out to be far less interesting than any of the fan theories have been.

3 minutes ago, Chronocidal said:

I'm not sure when I'll get to see this one, but I can't say I'm in any particular rush. 

I feel the same....however, I am currently on vacation until next year and will be home alone tomorrow....with that said....catching the matinee.....how bad can t be right?  8)

25 minutes ago, azrael said:

If you don't want to be spoiled, don't read Wikipedia. :unsure:

Considering I don't care about spoilers... crap, my one question still remains un-answered, at least by wikipedia:

Are Rey and Ren siblings?

Will accept answer via PM.

3 minutes ago, Dynaman said:

Why do people buy tickets ahead of time?  I've never had a problem getting into a movie, then again I don't ever go opening night.

Same, honestly I think my friends are seeing it this weekend for the same reason.

Course there was an a-hole that pre-ordered an entire theater showing worth of tickets for opening day. 

3 hours ago, derex3592 said:

I like picking my seats!!! I have to be in the middle of the theater. 

1 hour ago, TangledThorns said:

Maybe it depends on your area. In mine I buy seats ahead of time and I'm glad I did as most of the good seats are already taken.

The local theaters do not have the option of picking seats and I HATE being in the middle of the theater, even more I HATE sitting next to anyone.  This is also why I normally go during the day when kids are in school.  Even without that the IMAX in Atlantic City doesn't have the option of picking seats and it is always possible to get a seat going on a weeknight even though it will still be packed, just get there 30 minutes early.

Went to a 'Fans Only' event earlier tonight. No spoiler talk because I'm too tired to type everything up, but I agree that this could be a polarizing film among all of the old-school curmudgeons that poo-poo'ed The Force Awakens or even casual fans. :p That said, I thoroughly enjoyed this movie, probably more than TFA which I also enjoyed, but I'll need another viewing or two to make a firm determination.

Personally I thought it was very strong entry into the Star Was universe and it turned a lot of expectations on their heads and while doing some unexpected (but not in a jarring way) things with certain characters.

I didn't mind the humor but I absolutely get while some may feel it was a bit too much.

Spoiler

Enjoyed the beginning (comedy, action, sadness)

Kinda enjoyed the middle (drama, comedy, mystery)

Mostly enjoyed the end (action, heart, sadness + hope)

8.5/10

-b.

*Also can't wait to see what Rian comes up with in his new trilogy.

Edited by Kanedas Bike
messed up the Spoiler tag

18 hours ago, Vepariga said:

Saw it last night. Cant say I was overly impressed by it, I'm still torn tbh.

Alot of great moments, but alot of nonsense moments too. It's...different.

17 hours ago, Lorindor said:

I agree with both of these comments.  The movie also dragged on and parts definitely didn’t feel right.  There were a few scenes that I really enjoyed though.

6 hours ago, Kanedas Bike said:

Went to a 'Fans Only' event earlier tonight. No spoiler talk because I'm too tired to type everything up, but I agree that this could be a polarizing film among all of the old-school curmudgeons that poo-poo'ed The Force Awakens or even casual fans. :p That said, I thoroughly enjoyed this movie, probably more than TFA which I also enjoyed, but I'll need another viewing or two to make a firm determination.

Personally I thought it was very strong entry into the Star Was universe and it turned a lot of expectations on their heads and while doing some unexpected (but not in a jarring way) things with certain characters.

I didn't mind the humor but I absolutely get while some may feel it was a bit too much.

Hide contents

Enjoyed the beginning (comedy, action, sadness)

Kinda enjoyed the middle (drama, comedy, mystery)

Mostly enjoyed the end (action, heart, sadness + hope)

8.5/10

-b.

*Also can't wait to see what Rian comes up with in his new trilogy.

Pretty much how I feel as well. I’ll need to see it again to determine how I really feel. Enjoyed it a lot but I feel kind of numb right now too.

Chris

Damn yeah, I feel this one will be even more divisive among the fanbase then TFA was. I liked it overall, there were some actual real stakes and events in this one, something I felt TFA lacked severely. But the humor. The humor is getting to be a bit too much for me now, I get it, Disney light hearted quippy jokes are common place now, but I felt it was damn distracting and totally un-necessary most of the time. Like others have said, I'll need another viewing or two to form a stronger opinion, I still have all of those little Star Wars particles floating around my head making me all fuzzy, I think they're called midochlorians?

I thought a lot the humor was awful, and anyone who tries to justify it by citing the humor in the OT really doesn't understand why the humor in the OT actually worked.

Before I give my thoughts on the rest of the movie, let me say that I thought TFA was alright, but not better than that. It's greatest sin was just being ANH again. If I wanted to watch ANH, I'd watch ANH, I don't need two of it.

Some thoughts on various spoilery bits:

Spoiler

Stuff I liked:

• Rey's a nobody.
  • Ben killing Snoke. Separates it from the Sith master/apprentice thing from the previous two trilogies, and it'll be interesting to see what happens next without a behind-the-scenes xanatos-gambit-running mastermind.
  • Little details that, intentionally or not, called back to stuff from the old Expanded Universe, like the hyperspace ramming speed (although I feel like it shouldn't have taken out any ships other than the Supremacy), and Luke's force telepresence.
  • The Mega-class star destroyer, for all the terribleness of its name, had a cool design.

Dislike:

• Rey seems to be getting too powerful too quick. She has like a day of training and Luke already feel comfortable leaving the Jedi Order in her hands.
  • Why is it that fighters in this movie always seem to be able to fly right up next to the hull of ships that by all rights should have their shields up?
  • The bridge tower on the Mandator-IV class dreadnought. What were they thinking?

Other thoughts:

I'm glad it wasn't just ESB again. It took details from ESB and RotJ, but for the most part handled them differently enough for my liking. Something about the whole thing just felt off, though. It just never captured me. Maybe I'm not letting it, since I still miss the old EU, but I never really could get invested in the story. It also definitely tried to do too much.

Overall, I'll rate it an "eeehhh".

Just saw The Last Jedi and I am disappointed. It has JJ Abrams's fingerprints all over it, was Rian allowed to direct at all? The dialogue was straight out of Disney's Marvel films, so much so that I was expecting Iron Man and Groot to show up. If Disney wants to make Star Wars great again then they should hire a director that is outside their box of thinking, preferably a British or German director and is probably why Rogue One was so good.

3 minutes ago, Mommar said:

I've gleaned enough from reviews and spoiler bits to know I won't go see this and that's it for me and Star Wars.

Excellent decision.

For my part, I saw it, and oddly, I think it would have been better if it was more derivative of ESB. Only one joke felt really forced to me. The Porgs aren't nearly as invasive as Ewoks. The plot was tedious though, like the world's most boring chase scene. I'm not feeling any of the attempted chemistry for any of the characters. Also, where's Snoke’s backstory? It's like they crammed in so much they didn't have time for what was the lynchpin character. I won't say it was an awful film but it's far from my favorite.