Watching the trailer, it seems such an amazing opportunity to turn star wars on its head.

Kylo joins the light due to remorse of killing han and rey turns to the darkside because of luke's training  .. but that wont happen, too risky a storywriting for studios i gather... 

Edited by seti88

16 hours ago, seti88 said:

Watching the trailer, it seems such an amazing opportunity to turn star wars on its head.

Kylo joins the light due to remorse of killing han and rey turns to the darkside because of luke's training  .. but that wont happen, too risky a storywriting for studios i gather... 

That, and I do not want to see that happen! What I want is for Kylo to pay for killing Han. You just don't join the Light and all is forgiven.

12 hours ago, Vepariga said:

Looks great, alot of misdirection in the trailer im sensing though. 

Would be cool if Kylo took Rey to Snoke and then turns her on Luke, and Lukes gotta take them both down lol

I already said that... in a 'twins' way. :lol: 

On 10/9/2017 at 10:58 PM, no3Ljm said:

Luke VS The Solo Twins.

:ph34r:

Ok, so, it might be just me, but Luke seem to be a bit of a dick.  Not sure if he is a good teacher at all, because the monologue makes him seem quite jaded.  I like how they are turning the heroes of ep IV to VI on their heads.  No exactly a happy ending.  But then, it would make sense if SW were to go on.

I hope Luke is just a jaded broken old man, it would fit especially after his teaching brought out the dark side of Kylo. I'm still not sure why he would even leave a map of where he went, guess it was a break glass in case of emergencies kind of thing.

Honestly, the map nonsense was probably one of the weaker parts of TFA.  Like.. ok fine, you hid your travel route, and no one knows where you went.  That doesn't mean a chunk of every map in the galaxy just goes missing and no one knows what's there.  The ham-fisted "Ooh look, the map fills in this giant empty space!" sequence had me just staring blankly.  All they needed were coordinates. :rolleyes: 

Edited by Chronocidal

That is no worse then "The Death Star Plans are not in the main computer".  OK, back then people were not as computer savvy and didn't generally know that making a copy was bloody easy...   If the plans HAD been in the main computer would the Empire have gone looking for the Droids?

19 hours ago, dizman said:

I hope Luke is just a jaded broken old man, it would fit especially after his teaching brought out the dark side of Kylo. I'm still not sure why he would even leave a map of where he went, guess it was a break glass in case of emergencies kind of thing.

I thought it was Snoke that brought out his dark side?

Also....what if Snoke wanted to find Luke to get to Rey....and turn her?

16 hours ago, Dynaman said:

That is no worse then "The Death Star Plans are not in the main computer".  OK, back then people were not as computer savvy and didn't generally know that making a copy was bloody easy...   If the plans HAD been in the main computer would the Empire have gone looking for the Droids?

But I thought Rogue One established that the rebels put it on disk only?  So basically when the grey Ackbar dude accepted the transmission from Jyn....it was downloaded straight to disk....the disk shown at the end of Rogue One handed to Leia and beginning of A New Hope....the same one Leia stashed inside R2....

8 hours ago, jvmacross said:

But I thought Rogue One established that the rebels put it on disk only?  So basically when the grey Ackbar dude accepted the transmission from Jyn....it was downloaded straight to disk....the disk shown at the end of Rogue One handed to Leia and beginning of A New Hope....the same one Leia stashed inside R2....

Which still makes NO logical sense.  It was copied to disk in all of 5 minutes tops.  They could have made a thousand copies while in Hyperspace.

2 hours ago, no3Ljm said:

All of this ReyLo posts made me think that Disney probably kept the Solo Twins concept. What do you guys think?

I kind of think so.

There hasn't been much chatter about what Luke was doing standing there at the end of the last film.

Was that his wife's gravestone?

I mean, that's been my going theory since the day I saw it.  That pan around them on the island just made it way too conspicuous to ignore.

See, there's one thing that strikes me really hard about the new movies, and new canon in general, for better or for worse.  Despite unilaterally declaring the old EU as non-canon, that hasn't seemed to deter them in the slightest from picking and choosing bits and pieces that they liked, and reincorporating them.  Whether that's because they really actually liked the EU, or just are creatively inept to the point that they couldn't think of something different, is up for grabs.  My personal leaning is to the latter, given how much we've seen recycled from everything on every level.

The other thing that struck me as interesting was that the timeline is pretty darn convenient.  Not only did they distance themselves from the original trilogy enough to allow a new generation of characters to come into their prime, but they left themselves a lot of room for filling in the blanks, even to an excessive and detrimental level from a storytelling perspective, since we needed a ton of filler novels to explain half the movie.

But the fun part?  There's nothing really directly contradicting a good portion of the EU yet.  They brought Thrawn back already.  Who's to say that the overall plot of a lot of the EU material won't be directly adapted?  Sure, they're going to change names, and a lot of the smaller details.  They might not be Solo twins, but they might be siblings.  And Kylo may have killed a renamed Mara Jade expy.  They left enough room in the storyline that they could directly adapt a ton of EU material, with minimal changes.

4 minutes ago, Chronocidal said:

I mean, that's been my going theory since the day I saw it.  That pan around them on the island just made it way too conspicuous to ignore.

See, there's one thing that strikes me really hard about the new movies, and new canon in general, for better or for worse.  Despite unilaterally declaring the old EU as non-canon, that hasn't seemed to deter them in the slightest from picking and choosing bits and pieces that they liked, and reincorporating them.  Whether that's because they really actually liked the EU, or just are creatively inept to the point that they couldn't think of something different, is up for grabs.  My personal leaning is to the latter, given how much we've seen recycled from everything on every level.

The other thing that struck me as interesting was that the timeline is pretty darn convenient.  Not only did they distance themselves from the original trilogy enough to allow a new generation of characters to come into their prime, but they left themselves a lot of room for filling in the blanks, even to an excessive and detrimental level from a storytelling perspective, since we needed a ton of filler novels to explain half the movie.

But the fun part?  There's nothing really directly contradicting a good portion of the EU yet.  They brought Thrawn back already.  Who's to say that the overall plot of a lot of the EU material won't be directly adapted?  Sure, they're going to change names, and a lot of the smaller details.  They might not be Solo twins, but they might be siblings.  And Kylo may have killed a renamed Mara Jade expy.  They left enough room in the storyline that they could directly adapt a ton of EU material, with minimal changes.

Actually it's a control issue, the EU is a gold mine of lore and material, but they are partially owned but the dozens of authors and artists that helped create them. By legending the EU this allows Disney to pick and choose what they want to use and tap those materials to make their version of the EU via the media they are releasing. 

That much is pretty obvious I think, they don't want to be tied down to all the original authors.  I do give them credit for going straight to Zahn for material regarding Thrawn though, and not just wimping out and making an obvious rip-off.

On the other hand though, given the lack of originality seen at pretty much every level of production, I seriously question the ability of the current production team to actually develop any compelling original content at all.

• 3 weeks later...
Spoiler

star-wars-the-last-jedi-awake.gif?w=750

Would be cool to imagine Luke reminiscing about the past, maybe pick up the training remote while thinking about Obi Wan, or sit on the medical bed that he was laid out on after he lost his arm. 

I wonder if they will Force Ghost Obi Wan into a scene with him on the Falcon.