Good point, and since, from the empire perspective, the clones were their army, wouldn't they call it the Droid Wars or the Separatist Rebellion? You'd think the Separatists would call them the Clone Wars but maybe on a place like Tattooine that just sounds catchier.

Edited by jenius

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Probably why she posts all of those workout videos on Instagram. Daisy is in fantastic shape.

But if she carries him around like Yoda in the movie it will take all of my strength to keep from rolling my eyes right out of my head.

-b.

So I hear Yoda might be in the film. Apparently Frank Oz is in the UK and they built a sound stage to allow puppets. Word around the campfire is that Yoda might be a puppet again, but who knows, maybe he's just there making a new Muppets movie.

• 2 weeks later...

Given what occurred in TFA, I'd assume we're going to be seeing a lot more in terms of ships and fleets from here on out.

What I really do wish they could make up their minds on though is just how much of the EU is going to be accepted into "canon," and how much is going to be completely ignored. For all that I hear about the EU being discarded, I keep seeing random bits of EU material popping back up in odd places, as if the people in charge are just going, "Eh, I don't feel like inventing all new material, so we're just going to pilfer the EU names for things, and pick and choose which plot elements we like."

Case in point.. granted, I don't know how "official" anything I've been reading is, but I keep seeing references to the Incom-FreiTek T-70 X-Wing... ok, fair enough, it's a new company... but they didn't feel like coming up with a new name, instead of referencing FreiTek, which only showed up in the EU as the team formed from former Incom employees who developed the E-Wing for the Dark Empire series (and let's just ignore that the E-Wing mysteriously popped up as a LEGO set renamed "Jek-14's Starfighter" or something like that).

If they want to cherry pick the bits of the EU they want to keep then fine, but they're going to cause a hectic mess of nonsense when they start over-writing things and confusing the hell out of everyone by keeping the names while changing everything else. Keeping things familiar is one thing; they're treading a fine line between original story and one of those alternate universe fanfics that just changes a few tiny things to explore the differences caused by them. (So Han and Leia's second child died in childbirth, leaving them with just Ben, and they decided not to have another.. etc.)

Personally? I still think a good portion of the EU could fit into this "new" canon anyway. The new movies are far enough removed from the old timeline that you could probably wedge everything up through the original Thrawn trilogy directly into the new canon, and nothing would really be amiss.

Edited by Chronocidal

What I really do wish they could make up their minds on though is just how much of the EU is going to be accepted into "canon," and how much is going to be completely ignored. For all that I hear about the EU being discarded, I keep seeing random bits of EU material popping back up in odd places

None of the EU is canon (nor was it ever), and they've always been very open about taking bits and pieces from it and inserting them into the canon when it suited their needs.

If they want to cherry pick the bits of the EU they want to keep then fine, but they're going to cause a hectic mess of nonsense when they start over-writing things and confusing the hell out of everyone by keeping the names while changing everything else.

Everyone? You do realize that only a small percentage of fans have even dabbled in the EU stories, don't you? And even when they have, it's only a small portion of the entire EU content. If they know anything from the EU, it's likely Revan. Some may know or have heard of Thrawn. But the rest of it hasnt ever reached a large level of exposure.

Personally? I still think a good portion of the EU could fit into this "new" canon anyway.

Please no. Most of it is bad, and barely above the level of mediocre fanfiction.

As to the other discussion taking place, why does it seem so strange that an A-Wing or B-Wing might show up in the next movie? How long has the U.S. been flying Eagles, Falcons, and Hornets? This isn't Macross where they develop a new fighter every four years.

Except both the original trilogy and the prequels showed a continuos development of new starfighters during war time. TIE Interceptors, A-wings and B-wings were all brand new starfighters in-universe and I won't list the myriad of newly developed crafts during the Clone Wars.

The Resistance were able to fly advanced, brand new X-wings. They shouldn't need to keep ancient A- and B-wings like the Rebellion kept their Y-wings.

And if we're talking new versions of the old "letter-wings", I just think it's unimaginative. I think it's time to use a whole new letter.

Edited by Lorindor

Except both the original trilogy and the prequels showed a continuos development of new starfighters during war time. TIE Interceptors, A-wings and B-wings were all brand new starfighters in-universe and I won't list the myriad of newly developed crafts during the Clone Wars.

The Resistance were able to fly advanced, brand new X-wings. They shouldn't need to keep ancient A- and B-wings like the Rebellion kept their Y-wings.

And if we're talking new versions of the old "letter-wings", I just think it's unimaginative. I think it's time to use a whole new letter.

Oh please, can we not drag the prequels into this discussion? It makes a mess and a mockery of the continuity of the OT. As does Rebels, for that matter, which introduces A-Wings (as their main fighter!!) and a B-Wing several years BBY.

You have to remember that X-Wings and Y-Wings were old when the Rebellion used them in the original Star Wars (this is the original canon, not the EU or prequel nonsense). One of the Rebel pilots even dismisses the viability of using the X-Wing in an attack on the Death Star, calling it a "stunt fighter." The Rebellion had these craft because it's all they could get their hands on. One assumes that they got their hands on the newer, more advanced A-Wings and B-Wings as more systems flocked to their cause after their huge success at the Battle of Yavin.

As for what the Resistance is flying, they're lucky to even have the newer X-Wings. What we saw in TFA is literally everything they have, and they lost half of their ships in their attack on Starkiller Base. I assume with the government of the Republic being wiped out along with their main fleet, the Resistance is going to try to get their hands on whatever they can to fight back.

Edited by Duke Togo

Oh please, can we not drag the prequels into this discussion? It makes a mess and a mockery of the continuity of the OT. As does Rebels, for that matter, which introduces A-Wings (as their main fighter!!) and a B-Wing several years BBY.

You have to remember that X-Wings and Y-Wings were old when the Rebellion used them in the original Star Wars (this is the original canon, not the EU or prequel nonsense). One of the Rebel pilots even dismisses the viability of using the X-Wing in an attack on the Death Star, calling it a "stunt fighter." The Rebellion had these craft because it's all they could get their hands on. One assumes that they got their hands on the newer, more advanced A-Wings and B-Wings as more systems flocked to their cause after their huge success at the Battle of Yavin.

As for what the Resistance is flying, they're lucky to even have the newer X-Wings. What we saw in TFA is literally everything they have, and they lost half of their ships in their attack on Starkiller Base. I assume with the government of the Republic being wiped out along with their main fleet, the Resistance is going to try to get their hands on whatever they can to fight back.

Once again... :rolleyes:

Duke Togo, the prequels are perfectly valid references, regardless of what you think of them. As for whatever retcons Rebels bring to the table, I can't say as I haven't seen season 2. Although, from what I've gathered, those A-wings were seemingly not the same model as was used in The Battle of Endor.

Remember that the X-wing and the Y-wing were called old, but they are less than twenty years old in ep. IV. You propose that 30+ year old crafts (or maybe closer to 40 years old due to Rebels) would still be in military use. It's still unprecendented in Star Wars.

And why wouldn't a lot of systems flock to the Resitance after the events of ep. VII? They may be able to get ahold of a lot of new toys. We will see.

And why wouldn't a lot of systems flock to the Resitance after the events of ep. VII? They may be able to get ahold of a lot of new toys. We will see.

I agree a lot of systems likely would, but what kind of ships would they have? I can see a lot of them having older ships as part of their planetary defense forces. Remember, unlike the Old Republic, the New Republic has (had?) a military and a fleet. They would handle the large threats.

A lot of assumptions to be made here, but my thinking is they are going to pull in whatever they can in the short term, and by Episode 9 we'll see them at full strength. Think of Leia as Commander Shepard, and she's got to pull together a galaxy that doesn't really trust her to fight this huge threat, and she's got three movies to do it in.

*snip* One of the Rebel pilots even dismisses the viability of using the X-Wing in an attack on the Death Star, calling it a "stunt fighter."

While I am going to stay out of the whole "how much EU totally sucked" circlejerk, he says "snub fighters," not stunt.

Carry on.

Edited by Chewie

While I am going to stay out of the whole "how much EU totally sucked" circlejerk, he says "snub fighters," not stunt.

Carry on.

I just listened to that line several times, and it still sounds like "stunt" to me. But I see that Wookieepedia has an entry on snub fighters, so I will not argue. :)

As to the other discussion taking place, why does it seem so strange that an A-Wing or B-Wing might show up in the next movie? How long has the U.S. been flying Eagles, Falcons, and Hornets? This isn't Macross where they develop a new fighter every four years.

Lol, one of the reasons I can't seem to get into Macross offerings beyond Macross Plus, which was already a stretch for me.

While I'm still a huge fan of SDFM and DYRL, the newer designs, stories and themes (M7.....wtf) just don't do anything for me. Personally, I think the K-man is off his rocker. For the folks who grew up on the current stuff, it's awesome you found something you like. I wish I could say the same, but I'm literally being left in the dust because I just can't wrap my old brain around a Valk with mouth and speakers in space.

With TFA, I'm glad they didn't sway too far from the original designs. It's completely feasable that they are still using the same ships 30 years later. How long was the Tomcat in service for? The F14 had a long run before retirement. Still sad that they retired her.

Yamato 2199 is another awesome example. They updated bits here and there to bring the animation up to today's standards, but but left enough of the original design to leave fans like me satisfied.....thank *ucking heaven they didn't swap the hado ho with a singing mouth and change the crew into a bunch of pot-smoking peacing loving liberal hippies.

Anyway, enough ranting, I can't wait to see Ep VIII as well as Rogue One where it goes right back to basically the same era as Ep IV.

Edited by peter