Project number 86 version 5 revision b - Defender XV

NZEOD

So now that the street fight diorama is moving along and I have a second one with the CAG Valk booting over an ice cream truck in the street, I realised I can make these stand alone pieces but also tileable so they can all be laid out as one city block scene...

SO.... after thinking too much I have pre ordered 4 of the standing and kneeling aiming pose valks for a shoot out in another street

and.... I want to do a detachment of Defender X and XV destroids in a park. These will have servo controlled arms and torso movement so they appear to track the same target flying over head. Given the cost, should I use the WAVE kits or the Bandai ones, especially for the XV conversion? Is the Wave one that much better?

Last scene in my head right now is to have a tomahawk or two moving down a street with infantry and Armour support (Bradleys etc... as in this time period they still existed evenif grossly outmatched). Really want a Tomahawk stepping on a car and flattening it to highlight its bulk. Maybe have tracking torsos in the Tomahawks, tracking turrets on the Bradleys and working floodlights and street lamps...

And a note for who ever added the tags to our names in the forums... as a soldier I know you'd never wax a destroid or anything painted matt. As we say... "Shine will get you shot". A kerosene wash is ok though.

Edited by NZEOD

Wave Defender, Gundam Builder 3 Launcher Missile pods, Vents, Detail parts and Radomes bought and on their way. Now for the twin 6 barrel Rotary Cannons.

I think the Wave one is more readily available nvm, the Bandai one is just backordered at HLJ? Anyhow, I love the look of the Wave version and also the Macross the Ride super defenders.

Edited by wmkjr

In my opinion, the Super Defender conversion would fix the biggest issue that I have with the Bandai model, which is the overly "fat" twin gun barrels. However, I think the Wave model is a must for the standard Defended (X), so I'm not sure how the two different brands would look side by side. I have both but haven't build and compared them yet. You might be able to find some .020" stainless steel tubing to use for the 35mm gun barrels. Should be a cool project!

.02 inside diameter (0.5mm)

http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/brass-tube-0-6mm-1-6mm-2-6mm-3-6mm-4-6mm-diameter-outside-seamless-outer/831366_1663665972.html

Capillary Tubing, Analytical grade for scientific equipment (GC-MS and UHPLC which is what my wife works with at the Auckland hospital lab) is available in the sizes I need.

May have to fudge the tube size though to make it look in scale and not too small and spindly

Thinking these for the Under Over launchers on the arms. Minus the Radome, that will be relocated to the side of the arms like the Macross The Ride version.

msg-weapon-unit-mw036-missile-radome-04.

Thinking these on the leg sides as a Close In defence weapon

1365.jpg

And there just happens to be this unit available... no idea if the scale is right until i see one...

IMG_5070.JPG

IMG_50921.JPGhgbc-giant-gatling-01_2.jpg

And then as an alternative or for another project... there is this unit

msg-weapon-unit-mw029-hand-gatling-gun-0

Edited by NZEOD

For what it's worth, those Builders Parts (ie the first three) are designed for Bandai's 1/144 Gundam kits (they stand about 12.5 cm tall), and that last one, part of the Modeling Support Goods kits, is a handheld gatling gun for Kotobukiya's 1/100 Frame Arms (which measure 14-18 cm tall). From a quick google-fu, the Destroid model should measure around 15-16 cm.

More pics of the tripod gatling gun: http://dalong.net/review/bf/bc23/bc23_p.htm

That last one I was thinking as the basis for a short barrel version Gunpod for a dual wielding Spec Forces VF-1

Anyone interested in adding Arduino servo control to dioramas, this book is a good intro.

http://www.apress.com/9781430246053

If I'm clever enough (stupid enough) I might be able to get torso movement, arm movement to track a target but also... spinning barrels....could use 6mm Airsoft gearbox ball race bearings to run the barrel shafts on for high speed spinning and attach that shaft to a small motor with a silicon tube collar.

May be possible to run either fibre optic or mini LED units down the barrels of the 78mm cannons on the Mk X so thats not left out. Have them fire top left, top right, bottom left, bottom right, repeat at about 200 to 240Rds/min (4 flashes a sec). If I can use Fibre Optics without losing too much Lumens then Neopixels would be the go for the LED units as then I can program in a blended colour of White, Yellow, Orange, Red and maybe a little green (large calibre rounds use copper foil inside the propellant cartridge to lubricate the barrel rifling and the rounds also have a copper compound driving band - one reason we get to fire all the army museum weapons each year) to look like a real propellent flash. Should look good.

Edited by NZEOD

so now I have 4 carrier deck sections under construction with modified versions of the VF1D Low Vis, VF-4, VF-11C, VF-19A, a Street scene with a VF-1J Super Pack Battroid hugging a Hotel front, a Street Scene with a VF-1S Super/Strike kicking over an Ice Cream truck, the beginnings of a City Central Park scene with 2 Defenders, a Mk X and a Mk XV along with AFV support and the ideas and sketches for ANOTHER Street scene with a Tomahawk and Armour vs perhaps Merkava/T-90s from the Anti UN.

And a wife laughing...

Funny you mentioned the VF-1D Low Vis - I just got a second Hasegawa VF-1D from an Amazon seller in California for a good price ($20 + shipping), but the decal sheet has brown smudges all over it like it got wet or dirty. I received a VF-1A Low Vis Kit the same day, and fortunately most of these kits have a second set of decals (two variations), so the VF-1D may end up as a low vis! Are you thinking something along the lines of the ones in the first VF-1 Master File?

Edited by VF-1A Grunt

No, I'm making one as a next gen F/A-18 replacement, so similar marking to a current squadron and the other into an E/A-18G Growler replacement with the Harm missiles and Jamming pods etc. Have a VT-1 to cannabilize for the wings with the pod tips.

Got a few packs of Two Bobs 1/72 F/A-18 unit markings and also the set from the Aggressor training unit Casper And His Bandit Ghosts

Gundam minigun arrived... its big. Custom building time I think.

A true scale 1/72 35mm Minigun will look underwhelming on a Defenders arm though, Really think they got that calibre wrong given the Valks carry 55mm ones.

ON a random note... Xenon Flash tube kits hidden around the diorama and wreckage as simulated Gunfire and impacts...