Rifts is Coming for Savage Worlds!

Okay,

for those that didn't know, on April 15th last year it was officially announced that Palladium's Rifts RPG would be converted to Pinnacle Entertainment Group's (Deadlands: The Weird West) Savage Worlds game system. For those that still have some OTHER games from Palladium (Robotech, Macross II), this will be a chance to convert their game to something that isn't a kludged together nightmare system that makes no sense half the time. No official word has been given on when it will be published, but the likelihood is that Pinnacle will run a Kickstarter beforehand to ensure it gets a high quality release (possibly full color interior with art that doesn't look 20+ years out of date). So far, everyone who has had a chance to playtest it at conventions says its a blast...

https://www.peginc.com/rifts-is-coming-for-savage-worlds/

Okay,

for those that didn't know, on April 15th last year it was officially announced that Palladium's Rifts RPG would be converted to Pinnacle Entertainment Group's (Deadlands: The Weird West) Savage Worlds game system. For those that still have some OTHER games from Palladium (Robotech, Macross II), this will be a chance to convert their game to something that isn't a kludged together nightmare system that makes no sense half the time. No official word has been given on when it will be published, but the likelihood is that Pinnacle will run a Kickstarter beforehand to ensure it gets a high quality release (possibly full color interior with art that doesn't look 20+ years out of date). So far, everyone who has had a chance to playtest it at conventions says its a blast...

https://www.peginc.com/rifts-is-coming-for-savage-worlds/

I have no idea what you're talking about, the system worked just fine.

It worked fine when it was developed in the 80s, for the original Mechanoids game. But trying to expand it into other settings, especially the kludged-togetherness that is Robotech and Rifts RPGs (and yes, I do love those games. I'll love them 'til my dying breath) just made for a clunky gaming experience. Combat was slow and taking far too long to resolve is my major gripe.

I have no idea what you're talking about. Rifts combat was very simple and easy. Nobody I ever played with had a hard time or complained about the combat system. It sleays ran smooth and quick when we played.

It really depends on how closely you follow all of the rules. The basic combat system itself is quite nice. The problem is that it was designed for to people punching each other - boxing, more specifically.

When they tacked on all the rules for regulating flying, it gets really problematic (as in you have to roll a piloting skill check, then roll an instruments check for a lock on, and then fire the weapon [which probably involves a weapon systems skill check]. And that's all before getting the D20 out!). Most people I know went straight to the D20 strike/dodge and ignored much of the rest.

That solution made things quicker, but then Rifts tacked on magic, with its own way of managing combat...

But that's all beside the point. I'm frankly surprised that the publisher has chosen to allow the conversion - given the history involved.

• 2 months later...