Macross Δ (Delta) Mecha/Technology Thread - READ 1st POST

azrael

Can't really tell what differences there are between the Delta squad Valks. Maybe they've gone back to SDFM and the biggest difference are head units and some internals? Container Weapon System differences perhaps?

Besides head types only real difference is the VF-31E has a radome.

Edited by Karaoke Ninja

So the VF-31 can't fire the leg missiles in B or G modes since they will go right into the rest of the airframe?

It's possible there's a launcher door to facilitate B and G mode launching like there was on the YF-29.

At least not all VF-31s use forward swept wings. Guess Kawamori heard us about his overuse of FSWs?

Not sure how four FSW models in the entire series constitutes "overuse" but anyway

Are those delta wings the same as on the YF-30?

Nah there are some minor differences. Pretty similar though

Edited by Raptor One

Kinda surprised it's VF-31E, and not RVF-31C or something.

looks like a return to the elintseeker naming convention?

Yeah, so let's hope Bandai actually make it. It's perfect. For me, anyway.

168% agree! i'd even buy an itasha version of it... with Mikumo =)

Not quite, no... the ELINT Seeker was VE-1, it had a mission code that marked it out as a dedicated electronic warfare craft. So far, all VF-31's have been designated as fighters. The VF-31 Siegfried seems to have a bunch of apparently-arbitrary variants to justify them giving each character's fighter a different head. (The VF-31, like the YF-30, wouldn't need a dedicated ELINT or Recon version, since the ordinance container system on any fighter could be fitted with ELINT equipment without requiring any design changes at all.)

The VF-31A has the Alpha symbol on it indicating there could be an Alpha Squadron. The last time we saw an Alpha Squadron was part of the VF-X Ravens.

Platoon, not squadron... but I wouldn't jump to conclusions based on the VF-31A's markings without knowing the context.

Very cool news with the A type. Also, with that bottom view, it's obvious there are doors under the nose for what looks like landing gear. But none in the legs where you'd expect them for main landing gear. However, there appears to be something door shaped in the wing root area.

Possible the gear store in the wings?

Edited by mickyg

Probably because the base airframe is the same for all variants (externally), only difference is the weapons pod.

The RVF had a different base airframe than the other -25/-17 models. The fin and radome were part of the base airframe as opposed to add-ons

Not quite, no... the ELINT Seeker was VE-1, it had a mission code that marked it out as a dedicated electronic warfare craft. So far, all VF-31's have been designated as fighters. The VF-31 Siegfried seems to have a bunch of apparently-arbitrary variants to justify them giving each character's fighter a different head. (The VF-31, like the YF-30, wouldn't need a dedicated ELINT or Recon version, since the ordinance container system on any fighter could be fitted with ELINT equipment without requiring any design changes at all.)

Probably because the base airframe is the same for all variants (externally), only difference is the weapons pod.

The RVF had a different base airframe than the other -25/-17 models. The fin and radome were part of the base airframe as opposed to add-ons

thanks for schooling me on this, guys! =) i'm glad it sounds cool but knowing this extra stuff makes it cooler

Very cool news with the A type. Also, with that bottom view, it's obvious there are doors under the nose for what looks like landing gear. But none in the legs where you'd expect them for main landing gear. However, there appears to be something door shaped in the wing root area.

Possible the gear store in the wings?

The more I think about it, the more I wonder if one of the grey sections in the legs swings open to allow the gear to extend. I think the doors in the wings are part of the arms, like on the YF-30.

I think what you are seeing on the underside of the wings are the armor for the manipulators and the forearm shields. I don't know if you can fit extending landing gear into there so my money is on an opening panel on the side of the legs much like the YF-19/VF-19 as shown in the image above.

At least not all VF-31s use forward swept wings. Guess Kawamori heard us about his overuse of FSWs?

I'd like to believe that, but I suspect it was Bandai complaining that they have VF-30 molds and no way to exploit them with the new VF-31's FSW.

I'd like to believe that, but I suspect it was Bandai complaining that they have VF-30 molds and no way to exploit them with the new VF-31's FSW.

That, or going back to Macross 30 and the toys themselves, perhaps Bandai and the Game concept overall only used the YF-30 on the proviso that Delta would use enough of the design to make a toy a viable investment. I know the YF and the VF (A type) still have their differences, but perhaps there's enough there that a complete retooling of the molds wasn't necessary?

Wish I knew more about the decision making that goes into merchandising and story development. I find it all fascinating.

EDIT:

Probably a discussion best put into the VF-31 thread...

Edited by mickyg

That, or going back to Macross 30 and the toys themselves, perhaps Bandai and the Game concept overall only used the YF-30 on the proviso that Delta would use enough of the design to make a toy a viable investment. I know the YF and the VF (A type) still have their differences, but perhaps there's enough there that a complete retooling of the molds wasn't necessary?

Wish I knew more about the decision making that goes into merchandising and story development. I find it all fascinating.

EDIT:

Probably a discussion best put into the VF-31 thread...

IIRC Tenjin mentioned during one of the Q&A's that Bandai was expecting a YF-30 based design with delta wings, but Kawamori changed it to FSW.

IIRC Tenjin mentioned during one of the Q&A's that Bandai was expecting a YF-30 based design with delta wings, but Kawamori changed it to FSW.

I think what he meant that Kawamori gave Bandai a hard time because they expected to reuse the YF-30 with minimal changes for Macross Delta. Luckily for us (well at least for me) Kawamori changed his mind and heavily redesigned the YF-30 so that we (I) can enjoy more variety on the shelfs. I think Bandai wasn't too happy about that since they had to design a whole new Valkyrie.

I think what he meant that Kawamori gave Bandai a hard time because they expected to reuse the YF-30 with minimal changes for Macross Delta. Luckily for us (well at least for me) Kawamori changed his mind and heavily redesigned the YF-30 so that we (I) can enjoy more variety on the shelfs. I think Bandai wasn't too happy about that since they had to design a whole new Valkyrie.

I would be too. It costs a lot of money to engineer and create commercial molds like that. That being said, I'm sure Bandai will be able to use many parts from the old molds in the new design.

Edited by Zinjo