Macross Δ (Delta) Mecha/Technology Thread - READ 1st POST

azrael

Perhaps, but the ECA system boosts existing armor? Will it work on skin? :o

The energy conversion armor technology isn't "boosting" armor... it is the armor.

As explained by Macross Chronicle, the energy conversion armor is a type of layered, laminated overtechnology armor material that becomes more resilient when subjected to specific types of electromagnetic pulse. It's so named because excess energy from a Valkyrie's engines is converted into increased armor strength... and it requires a LOT of juice to achieve results.

The energy conversion armor technology isn't "boosting" armor... it is the armor.

As explained by Macross Chronicle, the energy conversion armor is a type of layered, laminated overtechnology armor material that becomes more resilient when subjected to specific types of electromagnetic pulse. It's so named because excess energy from a Valkyrie's engines is converted into increased armor strength... and it requires a LOT of juice to achieve results.

i guess the meaning laminated could be used to imply additional armor.

From the first line of ECA explanation..

An OverTechnology which redirects excess power generated by a vehicle engine into the specially designed armored hull of the vehicle, resulting in a significant increase in armor strength.

the 'into' probably sounds contradicting, as the followed explanation mentioned laminated.

From the first line of ECA explanation..

An OverTechnology which redirects excess power generated by a vehicle engine into the specially designed armored hull of the vehicle, resulting in a significant increase in armor strength.

the 'into' probably sounds contradicting, as the followed explanation mentioned laminated.

Yes, I know what the M3 Macrosspedia entry says (because I helped write it). The way it's described in Chronicle, the laminate's a component part of the armor, rather than a separate substance applied to the armor. Something like the plastic layers in bulletproof glass or the elastic layers in Chobham armor.

Edited by Seto Kaiba

Yes, I know what the M3 Macrosspedia entry says (because I helped write it). The way it's described in Chronicle, the laminate's a component part of the armor, rather than a separate substance applied to the armor. Something like the plastic layers in bulletproof glass or the elastic layers in Chobham armor.

Yea probably i can identify with armor ie on vehicles and such, but i guess still wrapping my head around the glow on the walkure ^_^

Cool... kudo's for putting effort into compiling the lore for reading. B))

It *may* help to describe it as being like Smart-glass - something whose molecular properties changes when voltage is applied. I've found that to help wrap my head around the basic concept.

Edited by sketchley

Yea probably i can identify with armor ie on vehicles and such, but i guess still wrapping my head around the glow on the walkure ^_^

Cool... kudo's for putting effort into compiling the lore for reading. B))

As I see it, there are three potential explanations for the glow around the members of Walkure, in what I feel is a descending order of likeliness.

1. Artistic license - Kawamori and co. just want the songstresses of Walkure to be highly visible to the audience against busy and/or dark backgrounds.
  2. It's holographic - the way the members of Walkure each have an aura surrounding them in a color that matches each member's dominant color is a consequence of the active holographic projections used for their costumes and backup dancers on the microdrones. It may also be intentionally calculated to increase the visibility of Walkure members, as above, because they perform in the combat area... which is seldom a high-visibility environments.
  3. It's a fold aura - we saw something similar in the shared mindspace where Ranka cured Sheryl's v-type infection in the finale of Macross Frontier, which makes it potentially possible that the auras surrounding the members of Walkure is a visible manifestation of their biological fold waves (probably as a result of mechanical amplification of those fold waves like what Dr. Chiba produced with the song energy amplification for Sound Force). This might explain why the aura is occasionally absent when the singers are interrupted during their performance.

I doubt it's a manifestation of a practical, defensive technology... if it were, they wouldn't need the microdrones to generate barriers.

It *may* help to describe it as being like Smart-glass - something whose molecular properties changes when voltage is applied. I've found that to help wrap my head around the basic concept.

Yeah, I've been working with a material scientist at my day job to suss out how, exactly, energy conversion armor might be using electromagnetic pulses to improve its resilience. We've got two working theories on it right now based on its apparent nature as magnetostrictive:

• That the electromagnetic pulses are acting on the structure of the laminate component of the armor, such that its rigidity is increased until mechanical stresses exceed a certain level... at which point it returns to its elastic state to dissipate the impact energy across a larger area. (Making it sort of a magnetically-triggered shear thickening response... the armor's laminate layer gains viscosity when exposed to the EMP, and experiences localized loss in viscosity when the magnetic response is changed by an impact so that the more liquid pseudo-plastic can disperse the energy over a wider area, as the plastic layers in bulletproof glass do.)

• That the electromagnetic pulses are acting on the structure of the composite component of the armor, in a way that the armor is becoming more elastic and behaving like a magnetic shape memory material... allowing it to reversibly deform slightly under impact and regain its original shape, allowing it to displace more energy into the laminate layer without a fracture occurring.

Glad I could help, LOL :)

Something to remember about the official trivia in the Macrosspedia, it's often taken from many sources and I often struggle writing and re-writing these entries. And passing them through defacto editors, like Seto :) It's not easy given the language barrier and given the subject matter. So it might not ALWAYS make sense or read perfectly. Priorities for the Macrosspedia are:

1st, write the trivia so it's enjoyable to read to English-speaking/writing readers

2nd, to properly interpret the Japanese trivia for accuracy...WITHOUT sacrificing readability

3rd, to include as much trivia as possible to make comprehensive entries

One of the biggest obstacles in writing the Macross trivia is dealing with both the vagaries of this fiction (which is highly unusual) and in the process of research, discovering incongruencies or contradictions...or just a lack of clarity on the subject. I think you'll find much of the Macross trivia I include in the M3 is lengthy and verbose in order to account for those problems translating the source material. The entry on Energy Conversion Armor was sourced repeatedly and re-written at least half a dozen times to include everything and avoid fan-interpreting what was there. I always want to err on the side of offering too much information to the reader, even at the risk of too much text. We can't always know what the creators meant, so I push to include everything they wrote and present as is...such that folks can read it all and can decide for themselves what the Macross creators intended.

Other than Mikumo, I think we all missed a pretty clear signal the other girls are in EX Suits with holograms projected from them (or they're some sort of EX-Puppet.) In the scene when the 31's first fly in and 01 starts dropping the hover boomerang things, 04 flys towards the screen just off to the left. The cockpit is open and as it passes out of frame a clearly EX suited body leaps onto screen and then glows and turns into the girl in green. It's all some sort of elaborate projection onto technology and no doubt we'll learn more about it and be okay with the "magic" in later episodes.

What does Makina say at 08:35? Apparently it is meant to be "104式リガード" (Regult 104?) but I don't know what reading she is using for the "104" part? Is she saying the digits individually?

As far as I understand, the consensus is she is saying "Regult-chan". Followed by "kyaaa". As in, she's fangirling them.

DISCLAIMER - I don't understand Japanese and this is just what I gatherewd froma few sources.

What does Makina say at 08:35? Apparently it is meant to be "104式リガード" (Regult 104?) but I don't know what reading she is using for the "104" part? Is she saying the digits individually?

She says "一〇四式リガードちゃん"

Literally "Type One Zero Four Regult-chan". (Yes, she is reading the digits individually... if she'd said "Type One Hundred and Four Regult-chan" it would've been 百四式リガードちゃん.)

Edited by Seto Kaiba

Other than Mikumo, I think we all missed a pretty clear signal the other girls are in EX Suits with holograms projected from them (or they're some sort of EX-Puppet.) In the scene when the 31's first fly in and 01 starts dropping the hover boomerang things, 04 flys towards the screen just off to the left. The cockpit is open and as it passes out of frame a clearly EX suited body leaps onto screen and then glows and turns into the girl in green. It's all some sort of elaborate projection onto technology and no doubt we'll learn more about it and be okay with the "magic" in later episodes.

Looks more like a normal space suit to me but maybe it's a holographic suit. Seems like the most likely explanation.

Edited by Karaoke Ninja

When thinking about "laminated" materials, consider plywood. This is a material made through a laminating process. It has greater strength than natural lumber of similar size due to the process. Now couple that with energy activated elements or laminate materials that increase a materials strength and you get the idea.

Edited by Zinjo

Looks more like a normal space suit to me but maybe it's a holographic suit. Seems like the most likely explanation.

Regardless, the person leaves the cockpit in some sort of full body technological suit so it can easily ne explained away as some form of technology and not magic.

Maybe it's not a hologram at all. Maybe they use fold quartz as a targeting mechanism to fold the performance outfits directly onto the girls while swapping the flight suit out. Kinda like how folding was originally portrayed as swapping the space within the radius of the fold effect with the space at the destination.

Later on in the series we'll probably see super parts folded directly onto the Valkyries. Just like in The Centurions.

POWER EXTREME!!! :p

She used the word Shiki meaning it is Type 104 Regult. Which makes us wonder does Factory Satellites produce different battle pod variants pre-stealing by UN Spacy or are they modern variations like the Queadluun-Reah?

On another note anybody else bugged that the Aerial Knights aren't wearing any flight suit like Basara despite the speed it goes through?

Either they have really resilient bodies if Freyja is any indication with her agility or they have an improved ISC on the SV-262 Draken.

Edited by RedWolf

Which makes us wonder does Factory Satellites produce different battle pod variants pre-stealing by UN Spacy or are they modern variations like the Queadluun-Reah?

My money's on modern variations... the UN (later New UN) Government has had an Esbeliben automated factory satellite in orbit of Earth for a good 55 years now, so they've had plenty of opportunity to come up with their own improved versions of Zentradi mecha with which to outfit the Zentradi forces in the (N)UNS Marines. There's a Queadluun-Rhea mixed in with the Var syndrome-induced rogue troops in the episode, so it seems likely they're operating human-designed variations of traditional Zentradi mecha.

On another note anybody else bugged that the Aerial Knights aren't wearing any flight suit like Basara despite the speed it goes through?

Either they have really resilient bodies if Freyja is any indication with her agility or they have an improved ISC on the SV-262 Draken.

Considering the Sv-262 has demonstrated several capabilities in common with the YF-29 already, my guess would be that they've gotten their hands on the YF-29's specs and developed their own fighter based on them (with the YF-29's improved ISC).

(We do know, via Macross the Ride, that the YF-29 spec was leaked by LAI nine or ten years before the events of Macross Delta, which definitely makes it plausible.)

My money's on modern variations... the UN (later New UN) Government has had an Esbeliben automated factory satellite in orbit of Earth for a good 55 years now, so they've had plenty of opportunity to come up with their own improved versions of Zentradi mecha with which to outfit the Zentradi forces in the (N)UNS Marines. There's a Queadluun-Rhea mixed in with the Var syndrome-induced rogue troops in the episode, so it seems likely they're operating human-designed variations of traditional Zentradi mecha.

Really? I thought it was a Queadluun-Rau. Check later for comparison.

Considering the Sv-262 has demonstrated several capabilities in common with the YF-29 already, my guess would be that they've gotten their hands on the YF-29's specs and developed their own fighter based on them (with the YF-29's improved ISC).

(We do know, via Macross the Ride, that the YF-29 spec was leaked by LAI nine or ten years before the events of Macross Delta, which definitely makes it plausible.)

Where the heck could they have gotten a stash of Fold Quartz for ISC it is not as if there is a black... Ok Manfred Brando possibly could have when he was alive.

Thinking about it the purple stuff around the Var Song singer could be Fold Quartz.

Really? I thought it was a Queadluun-Rau. Check later for comparison.

Yes, really. It's the mecha that Mikumo jumps onto. It has the distinctive canisters on the back of the right shoulder and a back-mounted impact cannon.

Where the heck could they have gotten a stash of Fold Quartz for ISC it is not as if there is a black... Ok Manfred Brando possibly could have when he was alive.

Thinking about it the purple stuff around the Var Song singer could be Fold Quartz.

Really, it's inevitable that their fighter would have to have a YF-29/YF-30 grade ISC, otherwise the VF-31 would absolutely eat it alive.

As far as where they got the fold quartz... there are a LOT of possibilities there.

There's a certain vile je ne sais quoi about panty shot fanservice.

Oh god, time to rescind my membership, it was nice making friends with all of you.

Lol! Have you ever watched an entire Macros series or any movie all the way through? I think just about every Macross show or movie has fan service worse than a panty shot. And, as was pointed out, it has it's fair share of panty shots.

As far as where they got the fold quartz... there are a LOT of possibilities there.

It's possible that they just decided that Fold Quartz is common, and easily available (or inversely - because both sides are using elite squadrons, they people behind the scenes have put the best materials available into their equipment).

It's possible that they just decided that Fold Quartz is common, and easily available (or inversely - because both sides are using elite squadrons, they people behind the scenes have put the best materials available into their equipment).

That's a possibility, yeah...

Or, to look at it another way, fold quartz may have become common due to an outside factor. We could be seeing the result of exportation of fold quartz from a planet or planets with large caches of the stuff (e.g. Uroboros or the fmr. Vajra planet). It's also possible someone found a way to refine/purify the stuff the way Vajra queens do, or found a way to produce fold quartz or an acceptable synthetic alternative material without needing the raw material. There is, after all, an enormous political, economic, and military incentive to increase the availability of fold quartz.

On the other hand, if fold quartz is still a rare and precious commodity then we have the possibility that the Aerial Knights are obtaining it through other means, like black market transactions, outright theft, or potentially something as reckless as poaching Vajra from a hive that's in the vicinity of their home world.

How, exactly, are these pure Zentradi forces integrated into NUNS/Galactic civilization? I haven't ever really understood how the organization works with separate Zent forces.

It's possible that this group and Zents, operating toward the fringe of the galaxy, just isn't that well equipped. They've need to make due.

Alternatively, there's still a substantial number of un-cultured Zent out there? The galaxy is huge, it's only been 50 some years. These guys might be "fresh" they would have old equipment and get it upgraded as they get assimilated.

NUNS would be nuts to not have some kind of Zentradi assimilation protocol for when they bump into a new group.

Edited by Rbstr