azrael

Mission 0.89 - "Prologue to the Battlefield"  

231 members have voted

1. 1. Rating

• Positive (5 idols = 5 waifus = 5 times the fun)
    • Neutral
    • Negative (I'm getting too old for this sh*t)

I take the term "real robot" to not mean the robots are realistic, but that they are utilized realistically.

As in they mass-produce that crap, the machines are military hardware instead of unique devices, and no one trusts a twelve-year-old kid with a weapon of mass destruction.

So, Patlabor?

wutdafuq did i just see?

Welcome to Macross fandom.

Maybe people will start listening to what the SpeakerPODcast has being saying for years now ^^;

Oh, and for the record, this isn't JUST limited to the female demographic (although they are the majority) - I've also come across a male Macross dancer (kind of a beat/hophop kinda thing) as well as a Macross stand up comedian at various events in the years that have passed since Frontier.

And I wont even get started on the fan-bands, ranging from amazing Plus covers, to people singing while dressed as Valkyries, or the official Macross pub crawls/singles parties.

Edited by Tochiro

I really didn't want to play the "people who want 'gritty' and 'realistic' Macross are probably closeted Robotech fans" card. but... :rolleyes:

Yeah that is all Macross fandom needs is to be dismissive of differing opinions as opposed to spirited intellectual debate... :rolleyes:

Valkyrie1981, be patient, give the show about 5 episodes and then decide. I hated M7 on the first viewing, then I watched it again and was able to pick out the pearls that I liked about the show despite the many flaws I found. I suspect the same will happen for you with Delta. Keep in mind a Macross series has to appeal to a mass market compared to say an OVA. So the demographic is not what it used to be and not necessarily going to appeal to you all the time. Go with it and see if after 5 eps the show is what you want to continue watching. That is going to be my position and I am hopeful I will be rewarded.

Yeah that is all Macross fandom needs is to be dismissive of differing opinions as opposed to spirited intellectual debate... :rolleyes:

Since I started it, this should have been addressed to me. If it is the case here, it would be pretty unfair that a lot of the criticism may be due to an alternative vision that got more popular and people projecting said vision here because the powers that be failed them (a lot). It would be even more so if it's solely done because, a very long time ago at this point, this franchise had a connection to it but is getting harder and harder to reconcile from that perspective. Some people have put that show on a unrealisticly high pedestal at this point.

I really want to give this series it's fair chance. I've loved every Macross to date whole cloth, but I'm having a really hard time with the genre blending in this one. It isn't the girl idol-group thing, I'm a big fan of Love Live and I think that could have been an amazing addition to the the Macross pantheon. I think it's just the awkward cross breeding with what mostly reminds me of Nanoha, which was a series I utterly despised. I don't care how much the technology behind it can be explained by things that came before, it's an awkward cross-genre blending that feels completely unnecessary, and very shoehorned in. Maybe a few more episodes and I'll be able to enjoy the show despite that element, but I don't see myself warming up to this seasons gimmick enough to actually enjoy the major aspect.

I'm not angry or anything, I'm just incredibly disappointed that this is the direction the franchise has decided to go.

Pretty sure given the context, aceoftherebellion is referring to Love Live! School Idol Project

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Love_Live!

At least, I hope so :)

Yes, this "free" to play game that will cost more than a valkyrie habit and anime based on the same, otherwise known as Idol Hell. It's infectiously adorable.

So...I know I'm a little late to the party and I'm sorry but...did I just watch the pilot/first episode (.89 teaser...whatever you want to call it) for Mahō Shōjo Makurosu Deruta?

Don't get me wrong; I really, really, really like Mahō Shōjo Madoka Magika - it's a great anime. I even found Sailor Moon to be entertaining when it was on Toonami. But if this is a sign of things to come for Macross.... I was hoping for Chōjikū Yōsai Makurosu, not Mahō Shōjo Makurosu.

I'm with Roy Focker, Duke Togo, and others. This just seems like the wrong direction to take Macross if this is where they are taking things. I seriously hope we see less magical girls-esque type stuff and that the show leans more towards it's roots...you know...more akin to SDFM and DYRL?.

Edit: As it is "Macross"...I'll watch a few episodes to give it a chance...and maybe I'll be pleasantly surprised. I seriously have my doubts though.

Edit #2: Yes...I have read that they're trying for a mix of Plus and 7...and I hope they lean heavily towards Plus.

Edits galore...

Edited by Oihan

I've watched it a couple times now, and I feel that the choreographed dancing Valkyries was the point I felt repulsed by Delta. However I feel that the dancing Valkyries are only going to worsen. The Walkures can possibly evolve... It's possible they can improve.... However, if dancing Valkyries continue and expands encroaching on the Dog Fighting... things are going downhill very quickly...

I actually liked when Delta Squad did their little dance maneuver.

I admit it caught me completely by surprise but after thinking about it makes sense for the whole Walkure/Delta Squad dynamic thats going on. I love aerial acrobatics displays they are to me at least just absolutely wonderful love letters to an act called flying.

Sure dogfights are amazing to behold but an acrobatics display, again to me at least, is just a more purer form flying, nothing more than a spectacle to an audience where no blood is spilled in aggression. I have no doubt in my mind that if say the Blue Angels or the Red Arrows got their hands on some Valkyries there would be some form of dancing involved.

And how can one forget Isamu? The one single mecha pilot I can think of who has such an amazingly innocent time with his YF-19 during its first trials as he LITERALLY danced through the air before freefalling and buzzing the whole side of the base in a manner Maverick can only dream of.

Edited by ManhattanProject972

And how can one forget Isamu? The one single mecha pilot I can think of who has such an amazingly innocent time with his YF-19 during its first trials as he LITERALLY danced through the air before freefalling and buzzing the whole side of the base in a manner Maverick can only dream of.

Isamu was different. Because... because there weren't any magical girls around him!

Also, you don't perform choreographed dancing in the middle of a battle. It just makes it hard to take the concept seriously at all.

Exactly. Aerial displays are cool for sure, Macross is full of them. Valkyrie combat is cool to. It's just the extreme mash-up off the two that comes of as a little bit strange to me. Still going to watch it though.

Also, you don't perform choreographed dancing in the middle of a battle. It just makes it hard to take the concept seriously at all.

Yeah I do agree with you there. I get that they wanted to show the people that hey Delta Squad and the Walkure are here and everything is going to be alright but while they're sliding in and posing the Var crazed zentradi are still on a rampage and endangering civilians. If they did it after they had the situation under control it would make a lot more sense, instead we see Arad just sitting on the ground when they get the call that the Draken III's are headed there way ready to f things up before they spring into action again .

Even with the choreography I still believe Delta will give us the most true and satisfying dogfights than any series before it. Although I can be completely wrong and what they give us will be disappointing to all but I have faith that they won't let us down in that regard.

Even with the choreography I still believe Delta will give us the most true and satisfying dogfights than any series before it. Although I can be completely wrong and what they give us will be disappointing to all but I have faith that they won't let us down in that regard.

If Mac Zero is any indication, Kawamori's choreography of the atmospheric dog fights should be pretty amazing!

Edited by Zinjo

From the profiles Chuck is a native of Ragna.

It is interesting that two fleets chose to settle and integrate into inhabited planets. Makes me wonder if Ragna and Windermere had some history between them before the nUN/NUN came into the picture.

Did I miss something here?

From the profiles Chuck is a native of Ragna.

It is interesting that two fleets chose to settle and integrate into inhabited planets. Makes me wonder if Ragna and Windermere had some history between them before the nUN/NUN came into the picture.

Unless I've missed something, I don't think that Ragna and Windermere were settled by emigrant fleets while they were already alien civilizations living there... it was, IIRC, actually illegal to do that under galactic law. (Probably nothing preventing people from moving there once they join the New Unification Government's sphere of influence, but they probably don't want people just plopping down emigrant ships on inhabited planets and going "Our world now!")

It turns out (courtesy of Ernest Johnson's bio update) that the "Macross Elysium" some folks thought had colonized Ragna is, in fact, a Macross-type battleship named Elysion (マクロス級戦艦エリシオン) attached to the Ragna branch of Chaos, the organization that backs Walkure.

Did I miss something here?

The bios were updated on the official website... Chuck's now lists his place of birth as "planet Ragna".

Unless I've missed something, I don't think that Ragna and Windermere were settled by emigrant fleets while they were already alien civilizations living there... it was, IIRC, actually illegal to do that under galactic law. (Probably nothing preventing people from moving there once they join the New Unification Government's sphere of influence, but they probably don't want people just plopping down emigrant ships on inhabited planets and going "Our world now!")

It turns out (courtesy of Ernest Johnson's bio update) that the "Macross Elysium" some folks thought had colonized Ragna is, in fact, a Macross-type battleship named Elysion (マクロス級戦艦エリシオン) attached to the Ragna branch of Chaos, the organization that backs Walkure.

The bios were updated on the official website... Chuck's now lists his place of birth as "planet Ragna".

I do believe invasion is prohibited under the treaty but nothing says it is illegal to immigrate there and become that world's citizens especially if said planet invited them to benefit from technological uplift. Do note the new UN government of Earth was formed by both Humans and Zentradi thus there is a historical precedent.