Godzilla: Resurgence, Gamera reboot and Ultraman reboot

Nothing to talk about regarding the new Godzilla. All there is is a poster and a trailer showing people running away.

Gamera is fighting Gyaos again? Kadokawa needs to up their game with new monsters. Gamera only fighting Gyaos gets boring. Guardian of the Universe my ass if he doesn't fight more monsters like Legion or Iris.

Ultraman Reboot....only if it's based on the new manga. If it's the shiny CGI trailer version from July: Pass.

• 3 weeks later...

This actually reminds me of concepts for the original 1954 film. Godzilla was originally supposed to be a surviving member of a benign sea going species of dinosaur that were all wiped out by the atomic bomb test. As a result of the blast his skin was supposed to be horrifically scarred and burned leaving him in constant pain which is why he goes on the rampage. This current one's head actually reminds me a bit of the original 54 suit and the later GMK one.

Yeah I saw these leaked about a week ago, and it's just not really doing it for me either. I get what they're going for, before the design reveal and leak, Toho described pretty well what he'd look like, and this is definitely what they described. They wanted him more monsterish, and terrifying, and like others mentioned, they wanted evoke the original 54 concepts where he is essentially a constant radiation sickness/burn victim, and yeah, he definitely looks that way to me. That said though, as I said before, I don't really like it, it's a bit too much in my opinion. The radiation/burn damage thing doesn't really make too much sense to me conceptually, he's not a human, depending on continuity he's either a mutated Godzillasaurus, or just some kind of monster lizard that already existed and then got further mutated by radiation testing and what-not. Would a creature like that show the same attributes that a human would under these circumstances? It's just weird, just being green and a giant lizard before was fine, THAT was the product of his mutation and radiation exposure, he's a giant atomic breathing lizard, making him look all zombie-like doesn't make sense, are G-cells no longer a thing? Can he no longer nearly instantly heal? I really need to see it all in motion.

Did Godzilla get bitten by a zombie?

Lol, I was thinking the exact same thing, Zombie Gojira, hahahahaha!

Sweet t-rex arms....

Edited by peter

For all you guys:

This Godzilla is going back to the original idea for the 1954 design. He had keloid scars, burns and tumors from the radiation that mutated him. This Godzilla WILL be regenerating throughout the film. This is stage one of three. He will supoosedly look like a more realistic '54 by films end. And except for the Godzilla in G2k and Godzilla X Megaguirus, he has NEVER been green. And he isn't a lizard. He is a mutated dinosaur. Zilla ('98) was a lizard.

Edited by thereal9thdoctor

Actually that 3 form rumor has pretty much been debunked. What happened was a report from the set stated the suit requires three people to operate that got mistranslated and overblown.

Not what I mean. We will see 3 stages of a continuous regeneration. Not 3 forms. Like in the remake of the Fly, where we saw Brundle at different points of the mutation, but it was ongoing. August Ragone has said that there will likely be more than one stage of regeneration. He wouldn't suggest that if he didn't know something. And he knows far more about this than he's let out so far. He correctly described this design months before these leaked pictures appeared.

Did the 2014 film do well in Japan?

I don't know the numbers but from my Gfan friends who have Japanese friends it did pretty well, though as over here opinions are kinda mixed as far as the movie's story ect. Though the hate for the design is apparently nowhere as large as people tried to make it out. From what I have gleaned from my friends it seems more people here in the us dislike the design than there. One thing that has been commented on in a documentary shown at G fest last year by japanese college students is that there is apparent disappointment at the lack of tradtional fx.

Not what I mean. We will see 3 stages of a continuous regeneration. Not 3 forms. Like in the remake of the Fly, where we saw Brundle at different points of the mutation, but it was ongoing. August Ragone has said that there will likely be more than one stage of regeneration. He wouldn't suggest that if he didn't know something. And he knows far more about this than he's let out so far. He correctly described this design months before these leaked pictures appeared.

6dHbrWO.jpg

Again, I am not saying three "forms", I am saying like in The Fly that we see Godzilla at multiples stages along the regeration process - and Ragone DID say he will be continuously regenerating. Taking that statement, it means that each time Godzilla appears he will be more healed up. That doesn't not mean different forms like Destroyer, but he is progressively more normal looking.

And I went to his site and reread the article - he is contradicting himself a bit, as he says that Godzilla "May have different forms or mutations." And I doubt he says that in a vacuum. Considering that Toho were VERY upset at the photo leaks and have been complaining to people giving out info(I have a friend on Deviantart who knows Ragone who posted the pics and was told to pull them) it seems likely they told him to not give any more info out. Regardless, I am in agreement that there won't be different "forms". They may like just add the regenerated stuff onto the existing "suit". We'll have to see.

For all you guys:

This Godzilla is going back to the original idea for the 1954 design. He had keloid scars, burns and tumors from the radiation that mutated him. This Godzilla WILL be regenerating throughout the film. This is stage one of three. He will supoosedly look like a more realistic '54 by films end. And except for the Godzilla in G2k and Godzilla X Megaguirus, he has NEVER been green. And he isn't a lizard. He is a mutated dinosaur. Zilla ('98) was a lizard.

Lizard and green were general terms, don't get hung up on them. The Godzillasaurus bit is the only actual origin we've ever gotten for Godzilla, and I already mentioned that.

Again, I am not saying three "forms", I am saying like in The Fly that we see Godzilla at multiples stages along the regeration process - and Ragone DID say he will be continuously regenerating. Taking that statement, it means that each time Godzilla appears hwe will be more healed up. That not mean different forms like Destroyer, but he is progressively more normal lokking.

To me this nearly sounds like damage control due to the backlash of the leaked design. Hopefully we get something better looking near the film's end, but even if we do, that won't change his tiny goofy eyes and his over the top piranhas mouth.

Lizard and green were general terms, don't get hung up on them. The Godzillasaurus bit is the only actual origin we've ever gotten for Godzilla, and I already mentioned that.

Not hung up on that. Most people who know little about the character DO think he is an overgrown lizard. And I didn't notice the Godzillasaurus comment till after I posted, so I do apologize for that. Its all Good.😊 and its not my favorite design either but I accept it because of the intent. This is going back to his roots as a horror character. As far as damage control, I've thought that too. Possible.

Not hung up on that. Most people who know little about the character DO think he is an overgrown lizard. And I didn't notice the Godzillasaurus comment till after I posted, so I do apologize for that. Its all Good.😊 and its not my favorite design either but I accept it because of the intent. This is going back to his roots as a horror character.

Didn't mean to come off as hostile, I thought you hadn't read my post. Going back to horror roots I like, one of my favorite Godzilla films was the Godzilla, Mothra, Ghidorah All Out Attack for exactly this reason, they made Godzilla a monster again, and in the context of that film in particular, the bad guy. Showa and heisei era were great, everyone likes seeing Godzilla stomp monster ass, but I'm ready for a revitalized take on the original 54 terror. Hopefully they can deliver that and give us at least a memorable new design with this film.

Edited by Tking22

Its cool. I sometimes unintentionally come off like some kind of "expert" on Godzilla, when I am far from it. So if I come off like that to anyone here I apologize.

I am ok with the design if he does end up looking normal by the end - I DON'T want this look to be it. I have no problem with the scars or deformities really, but the missing skin is just too much, at least for a "final" look. I've never seen Evangalion so I don't know how this story will come across but I read he seems to set up a solid stories and characters but then they kinda falls apart as they go... if so then I am slightly worried. Attack On Titan seems to get flak but Higuchi sure delivered quality fx in the Gamera Trilogy. Although I am concerned at the unfinished look of the sculpt on Godzilla. Like they rushed it or something.

For all you guys:

Oh thank god. That looked nightmareishly horrible. Mind you, I'd still watch it.

• 3 months later...