Godzilla: Resurgence, Gamera reboot and Ultraman reboot

So does anybody have any idea why Godzilla looks all F'd up? He almost looks like a zombie version of Godzilla... Godzombie? :p

It's based on the early concept art from the 1954 film that represented Godzilla as a survivor of a nuclear bomb test hence why he looks like he does. Google image nuclear bomb survivor. When you are done cleaning up your vomit you will understand. :(

Edited by renegadeleader1

So does anybody have any idea why Godzilla looks all F'd up? He almost looks like a zombie version of Godzilla... Godzombie? :p

Dude...

This Godzilla is going back to the original idea for the 1954 design. He had keloid scars, burns and tumors from the radiation that mutated him.

Godzilla was originally supposed to be a surviving member of a benign sea going species of dinosaur that were all wiped out by the atomic bomb test. As a result of the blast his skin was supposed to be horrifically scarred and burned leaving him in constant pain which is why he goes on the rampage.

Supposedly, and this is NOT confirmed but has been implied from various sources, that it MAY be the original Godzilla somehow regenerating himself. We'll have to see the movie to know for sure.

THIS. IS. AWESOME. THIS is what I wanted from 2014. And this is design is much, much more impressive in action. Still not what I'd have done but I have really gotten behind this version.

I LOVE Godzilla films but this doesn't look good at all. I would rather have dark set with model city.

There is model work in the film. And night shots. I completely disagree that it doesn't look good. After not being able to see the cartoony CG in Edwardszilla cos it was dark to hide how cartoony it was this is a bold move. And I think it works. My only gripe is how the tail always seems up in the air. Looks unatural.

Edited by thereal9thdoctor

That's not a good trailer. At all. It's like it was made by someone who had never seen a movie trailer.

Just asking, but how would you go about cutting a Japanese trailer for a Japanese movie to a Japanese audience?

Just asking, but how would you go about cutting a Japanese trailer for a Japanese movie to a Japanese audience?

I get what you're saying, but it's not like we haven't all seen Japanese movie trailers before.

• 1 month later...

http://vignette1.wikia.nocookie.net/villains/images/f/fb/Dagahra.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20140827034619

Was watching Rebirth of Mothra 2 and there's a two-eyed furball with no arms that takes kids to some underwater ruins where they learn that the monster that Mothra must defeat was created as a biological weapon by the ancient inhabitants before it took them out.

I've seen it a bunch times, but only once since I finished Macross 7. I'm surprised BW didn't sue. M7 came out 2 years before this movie and even the facial design of Degahra is Glavil like. Obviously, though, Glavil's monster half owes its inspiration to kaiju films, but wow!

Ghogo vs Gubaba
post-30911-0-85138200-1465081937_thumb.jpeg

Degahra vs Glavil
post-30911-0-49836700-1465081955_thumb.jpeg Edited by Mazinger

I really hated the last U.S. Godzilla. A lot of critics and friends liked it though, but I wanted to see Godzilla as the big frightful monster that the original gave me nightmares about when I was a kid. The first film was my first when I was very young, it's almost a bit too slow and a bit cheesy now, but when I was very young a giant almost unstoppable unhappy city smashing monster was amazing. I don't want another hero monster movie.

The preview does have me a bit worried, with the helicopters getting up close to him. They do that way to much in both the U.S. And Japanese films.

• 1 month later...

Godzilla vs National Diet? I have no idea what is going on here. Besides the cool display of Japan's military this has fail written all over it. Ugh.

What exactly screams fail to you? Not liking the new Godzilla design is one thing, but I don't see how that translates to fail for the entire film nobody has seen yet. The Shin design is really growing on me, the only thing I'm not liking at this point are the eyes, they remind me of elementary school craft day googly eyes. Other then that, this looks phenomenal, the scale, the seemingly useless modern military tech, this is all looking pretty damn promising to me.

Godzilla vs National Diet? I have no idea what is going on here. Besides the cool display of Japan's military this has fail written all over it. Ugh.

I'm probably going to get some flak from the die hard fans for saying this, but I agree.....wtf did I just watch?

The guy in the suit entertained me when I was a child, but that's about it.

A while ago, I downloaded the entire collection, and thought I'd relive my childhood but I got through maybe the first three films and had to stop. Ended up deleting all 30 gigs.

Godzilla 2014 was the best Godzilla movie I've seen so far. Even the trailers were awesome....especially the one with the Oppenheimer voice over.

Looks like a standard Godzilla movie to me, lotsa people in board rooms and labs talking about how to stop Godzilla. Eventually they put their plan in action and it does nothing, rinse repeat until something works. I haven't been paying too much attention, has there been any word on how they will release this stateside?

I'm probably going to get some flak from the die hard fans for saying this, but I agree.....wtf did I just watch?

The guy in the suit entertained me when I was a child, but that's about it.

A while ago, I downloaded the entire collection, and thought I'd relive my childhood but I got through maybe the first three films and had to stop. Ended up deleting all 30 gigs.

Godzilla 2014 was the best Godzilla movie I've seen so far. Even the trailers were awesome....especially the one with the Oppenheimer voice over.

you didn't like Destroyah? That's still my brother's benchmark for Kijui films

• 1 month later...

Godzilla anime.....yeah, no kidding, wierd how it hasn't been done before.

I was in Japan on opening day and apparently this film is doing well.....sorta wish I went and gave it a chance.

Edited by peter

• 1 month later...

I just got back from seeing it, and I have to say its pretty damned good. I sincerly had my reservations about Anno directing a Godzilla given his penchant for going off the deep end story wise, and blowing through budgets leaving things unfinished. With this film though he really hit it out of the park.

I really recommend it especially if you liked the more serious installments of the Godzilla franchise like the original, 1984, or GMK.

• 2 weeks later...

"B-"

Glad the guy liked it and gave it a "B-", even if for all the wrong reasons.

The movie scores an A+ if you ask me. Everything important in the movie went right over the above review's head. At least he like it, and that's good for the film, even though he's thinking it's suppose to be "a Godzilla film", which was not really the point or realistic Japanese social commentary Ano captured.

I caught it in California last week, and I was so surprised that the audience actually applauded at the end of the film.

• 11 months later...

Caught up on Shin Godzilla recently.

Should have seen it sooner since I enjoy Hideki Anno's style. I knew Anno was directing, but I didnt realize all the Gainax connections with Shinji Higuchi, Shiro Sagisu, and others on board.

You should definitely check it out if you are into all that.

As a "Western" viewer, I have to say that a lot of it went over my head. It is well done, but be warned that there are exactly three action scenes, and the rest is government talking heads. 

Anno has a unique style and there is never any doubt when he is helming a project. While I didnt get all the political stuff, which led this to be the highest grossing movie in Japan that year, I did catch A LOT of stuff that Anno fans will like.

On a related note, I recently started watching a J-Drama called Blue Blazes which is based on a manga about original Gainax founder's and their time starting out in animation and film in Art School. Fun so far, if it seems appealing to you.

• 1 month later...

My wife's comments:

Te ga chichai, ashi  drumstick mitai.  Me ga hen...shiroi....

My personal opinion, and I seldom say this, but the US Godzilla looks better.

Edited by peter

On 11/28/2017 at 10:34 PM, tekering said:

Your wife is correct; you are not.  :p

Perhaps you'd bother prefer the 1995 "Burning" Godzilla?

Lol, I dunno, I'll have to watch it again. 

But why are his pupils so small?????