Shoji Kawamori, the creator Hollywood copies but never credits..

I've read through the entire article. It's a really great interview. Most of the stuff has been established before, but there are some new revelations (at least to me) that really made for an informative reading. It's also a fine summary of Kawamori's work over the years. Well worth reading!

Yes Ollie is a member here.

He is indeed - not hard to find him actually.

Thanks for that great article, Ollie! It's always such a surprise to me when I describe the series to people who know nothing about it. I usually have to get to Transformers and his work there before they start to take notice. Articles like this will help my cause greatly.

I'm always surprised that Forbes of all things has someone writing decent coverage of geeky/Japanese pop-culture. Any chance that Ollie Barder is actually a member of the forums? Anyways, good article.

Yep, been around here for aaaaaages and I've also known Graham for a good while too.

Cacophanus were you surprised to hear from the master that he would be interested on working on the Robotech movie as a mech designer? He seemed not just disappointed but maybe even slighted he wasn't contacted yet..

Not really, they are his designs and I get he wants to do right by them. As I said in the interview though, he clearly wanted to talk more about it but couldn't and he was indeed disappointed that they hadn't contacted him yet.

He was a genuinely lovely guy with an obviously active mind. I really wanted to show his thought processes on design too. Simply because the best way of showing that someone has stolen your idea is that they can't explain the thought process in terms of its conception.

So the whole section on how Macross came about was to show that really and then follow it up with examples of how people had copied him.

I'm sure I've seen it done in WWII movies. Just saying.

They had jets skimming the water in WW2 movies??!! :o

The guy want to share his work wit EVERYBODY. Can someone send a good lawyer to gave him some advice?

A good lawyer and the will to recover their IP worldwide.

BW hasn't done anything to protect it's SDFM IP rights since 2003 when they stopped blocking HG's attempts to trademark Big West / Studio Nue properties like the name Macross, the Kite insignia, the title logo for SDFM, etc... After that they gave up on all the potential revenue their work could generate in the West. As the article rightly pointed out, SDFM is more widely known here than Gundam. Hopefully that executive at BW who chose not to protect BW properties as since been fired!

Edited by Zinjo

Not really, they are his designs and I get he wants to do right by them. As I said in the interview though, he clearly wanted to talk more about it but couldn't and he was indeed disappointed that they hadn't contacted him yet.

He was a genuinely lovely guy with an obviously active mind. I really wanted to show his thought processes on design too. Simply because the best way of showing that someone has stolen your idea is that they can't explain the thought process in terms of its conception.

So the whole section on how Macross came about was to show that really and then follow it up with examples of how people had copied him.

Prolly the same restraints on his discussion of Robotech would be the reasons why he may never be contacted by the HG RT movie, if it ever leaves the script writing stage. I don't think Sony fully realized that they cannot use the most popular aspect of the RT series, "Macross", without first getting BW's approval and that may never happen.

The Tatsunoko / BW court battle left both sides somewhat bitter toward the other and it may be a matter of honor now. Since, IIRC HG and Tatsunoko co-own the international distribution rights to the SDFM animation and merchandizing, for BW to sign on to the project would mean they are indirectly working with Tatsunoko.

Edited by Zinjo

Yep, been around here for aaaaaages and I've also known Graham for a good while too.

Ah, cool. Not surprised. Anyways cool reporting. I've stumbled across a number of your articles on occasion, enjoyed them, was informed.

If Shoji Kawamori truly wishes his Macross work is seen world wide, he needs to do two things.

1. Convince Big West and Bandai Visual to add English, Spanish and French Subtitles (at least) to the video releases.

2. Ensure the Bluray releases are not region coded, so they will play on all disc players across the world.

There are no laws prohibiting consumers from importing Macross products directly from Japan, we do it all the time. :)

Until Big West takes back it's international IP rights and trademarks, thus enabling them to ship to Western Markets, it is the best solution. Fans on this site will gladly purchase subtitled blurays if they are made, but so far only the Frontier movies were released this way.

Edited by Zinjo

Kawamori being brought in to design anything for RT would tell me that RT would pretty much be unable to stand on its own. If they brought in any of the original mecha designers to RT, it would tell me RT doesn't have a leg to stand on. It would further weaken any statement from RT's current "creative group". I've stood by my statement that if RT want's to be it's own IP, then it has to create something. Calling in Kawamori, Aramaki, or any of the original creators is waving a white flag. It says HG's property is worthless without the original creators. In light of the article's byline and source (Forbes, a business publication), I'm reminded of a business man by the name of Steve Jobs and something he said, "Good artists copy; great artists steal."

Kawamori being brought in to design anything for RT would tell me that RT would pretty much be unable to stand on its own. If they brought in any of the original mecha designers to RT, it would tell me RT doesn't have a leg to stand on. It would further weaken any statement from RT's current "creative group". I've stood by my statement that if RT want's to be it's own IP, then it has to create something. Calling in Kawamori, Aramaki, or any of the original creators is waving a white flag. It says HG's property is worthless without the original creators. In light of the article's byline and source (Forbes, a business publication), I'm reminded of a business man by the name of Steve Jobs and something he said, "Good artists copy; great artists steal."

It's not really about what HG wants it's about that he is open to working on the project. Kawamori is a genius; he could up with a whole new design there by not conflicting with Big West IP..

Edited by terry the lone wolf

What matters is that Kawamori has been and will always be working in television, video games, mechanical design, etc. refining his craft(s) while the emulators imitators will blatantly pretend to be in convention panels all across America with very little to show for it. And spending a year name dropping doesn't count.

Enjoyed the article. Thanks! Loved reading all that history. I liked his comment about the mash up of unrelated anime in Robotech; I found it jarring when I tried watching the series.

Hopefully, he'll add autobiography to his to-do list, and it gets worldwide distribution. Put his pic on the cover surrounded by pics of a number of his designs, esp G1 Optimus Prime, Starscream, and the VF-1, and it'd be sure to garner attention in the West.

A good lawyer and the will to recover their IP worldwide.

BW hasn't done anything to protect it's SDFM IP rights since 2003 when they stopped blocking HG's attempts to trademark Big West / Studio Nue properties like the name Macross, the Kite insignia, the title logo for SDFM, etc... After that they gave up on all the potential revenue their work could generate in the West. As the article rightly pointed out, SDFM is more widely known here than Gundam. Hopefully that executive at BW who chose not to protect BW properties as since been fired!

Where on Earth did you get the idea that BW just "quit" protecting their properties? It doesn't take that much research to see that is far, far from the truth.

Currently eating watermelon in front of Shoji Kawamori actually. Well, this is kinda awkward f^_^ ;) lol

OH MY GOD! I Can't believe you! A REAL WATERMELON?

Instagram that fruit right now!!!!

Edited by Gerli

I was referring to aircraft in general. But, it wouldn't be far fetched to show jets in a WWII movie since jet aircraft saw service before the end of WWII to be sure.

All I'm saying is the idea of flying low over the water wasn't a novel concept when Macross was created. So, while Kawamori created a lot of new and interesting ideas and designs that wasn't one of them.

And tactically speaking that was a dumb thing to do when going head to head in a dogfight with the enemy. Perhaps with the fictional thrust to weight ratios of VF-1 aircraft it's not as critical to have the high ground so to speak, but generally speaking it's better to attack from above.

Though, it was a cool scene nonetheless, and a favorite of mine and many others I'm sure.

• 5 weeks later...

Thanks for posting this article. Very VERY interesting. If this guy isn't involved, not sure if I'd be interested. If the two Yune brothers are going to have a say, then, uh, I dunno...

If I remember correctly, this is the same guy who wrote this up:

http://www.hobbylink.tv/riobot-anubis-by-sentinel-part-1-unbox

...and I had an adverse reaction to that. I said of it, "A subpar review of the game followed by a subpar review of the toy, in both cases scarcely saying anything at all about the actual item being reviewed. Two swings, two misses."

This one's a bit more palatable, but still unpolished writing-wise. The actual content of it, though, consists of insightful, self-aware commentary by Kawamori, which was very nice to see.

The original creator (insofar as there was one) of Robotech is dead. Most of those he worked with are, as far as I understand, no longer on the project. What leg is there to stand upon?

Kawamori's olive branch is worthy of the true artist he is.