Does somewhat unrealistic mecha controls ruin the fun for you?

JLYC

https://youtu.be/YMqu-iHKaT0?t=33

the above is what bothered the heck out of me...that GM pilot just pumping the joysticks back and forth which ruined an otherwise intense scene...i think the controls look the same as the arcade virtual-on and we all know how many moves the mechs can make in that game vs a mobiel suit (are there special buttons for 'cool poses' btw?). ...maybe they are just trying to stay faithful to the 70's Gundam UC esthetics...but new Macross should strive for better :)

Looking back at this, I'm WAY more bothered by how the editing makes it look like he just nonchalantly flew face first into a massive piece of floating debris for no reason other than shier incompetence.

The VF-25F does have backpack thrusters, six of them in two banks of 3 thrusters each. But they are small and mounted underneath the rear fuselage just in front of the shield-mounting section. There is almost no art for them, so I don't blame folks for being completely unware the thrusters exist. The only image I have is from Macross Frontier Archives: 3D & Setting Document Collection which I think is more for the plastic models than actual line art. There has still yet to be any mention of the backpack thrusters in the official trivia, although the Variable Fighter Master Files may provide details I've not yet read or seen.

Gotcha, I suspected as much. They look mighty small, but for stability/balance it really wouldn't take much (like putting your hand on something while ice skating). They definitely would not be the primary Gerwalk thrusters for forward flight.

I got you a picture (from Macross Frontier Ep2) that shows the VF-25 in GERWALK burning its backpack engines.

Yep, that's the scene I was remembering. It's subtle, but agrees with the small size.

The placement in Battroid mode (down at hip/buttock level) wouldn't be as stable when hovering in a gravity environment compared to at mid-back or shoulder level, and the Valkyrie would have to lean forward slightly to derive much benefit from it. Ironically, the back kibble growth on the 27 & 29 would compensate for this by moving the wing thrusters further from the Battroid's center of gravity, but would necessitate forward lean or a slow burn to stand upright on a surface.

All that being said, is there a comparable stabilization thruster on the 30/31?

Gotcha, I suspected as much. They look mighty small, but for stability/balance it really wouldn't take much (like putting your hand on something while ice skating). They definitely would not be the primary Gerwalk thrusters for forward flight.

The thrusters are visible on the cutaway in Variable Fighter Master File: VF-25 Messiah, but are not specifically called out in any section of the book that I can find.

The placement in Battroid mode (down at hip/buttock level) wouldn't be as stable when hovering in a gravity environment compared to at mid-back or shoulder level, and the Valkyrie would have to lean forward slightly to derive much benefit from it. Ironically, the back kibble growth on the 27 & 29 would compensate for this by moving the wing thrusters further from the Battroid's center of gravity, but would necessitate forward lean or a slow burn to stand upright on a surface.

Unless it's capable of thrust-vectoring like practically every vernier in Macross...

All that being said, is there a comparable stabilization thruster on the 30/31?

I don't recall seeing anything like that, no.

• 2 weeks later...

Unless giant robots become a reality I doubt realism on the controls side is really gonna matter.

I'm more surprised that none of the pilots in any of those gundam shows isn't blacking out or flat-out dead from the G's they'd experience doing all that crazy maneuvers. Hell, they aren't even wearing seat belts O_o

Unless giant robots become a reality I doubt realism on the controls side is really gonna matter.

I'm more surprised that none of the pilots in any of those gundam shows isn't blacking out or flat-out dead from the G's they'd experience doing all that crazy maneuvers. Hell, they aren't even wearing seat belts O_o

Actually sometimes you see them,sometimes you don't. It differs depending on the series.

In First Gundam, you clearly see Amuro wearing a belt.

gundam%20seat_zpszbbrdjxq.jpg

From Zeta onwards, it was assumed that wearing a "normal suit" will clip the pilot into the seat via the suit's backpack.

There are pilot safety devices shown in Macross, although they are often so brief i suppose folks can't be blamed for missing them. In SDF Macross, there was several sequences scattered throughout the series that show the lap belt used in the VF-1 Valkyrie. There is a brief but rather detailed sequence in Episode 9 showing Hikaru strapping into the GBP-1S Armored Valkyrie cockpit during launch from the CVS-101 Prometheus aircraft carrier. I've built a little collage of that short sequence and an animated GIF, showing Hikaru belting up his belly.

post-114-0-44225000-1449931692_thumb.jpg

post-114-0-51170100-1449934707_thumb.gif

Edited by Mr March

I remember seeing that also in that episode. I do notice they don't wear any type of ejection harness, at least the type you would expect. Generally there are a set of "ball breaker" belts that loop up through the crotch area with the shoulder latches hooking to the chute in the seat. I understand the whole ejection thing in space wouldn't require the parachute but in an atmosphere they would need it. The Ex-Gear in the VF-25 eliminates the need for it but in older VF designs (pre Ex-Gear) they would still need it. Generally the pilot is attached to the newer seats with 2-3 straps or belts. The lap belt only keeps the pilot down in the seat. The shoulder straps are buckled to the ejection harness and like I said attach directly to the seat parachute. The last set are attached to the survival kit and also buckle to the harness at the sides so when deployed the kit drops and hangs below the pilot in the chute. This the harness for the ACES II seat

f16pcu16.jpg