I think the thing that stands out to me about that design? It reminds me of mid-90s polygon graphics designs that were made specifically to allow good performance. Big, blocky, and easy to render on low-end hardware. :p

That being said, I don't know what era this design is supposed to fit in, alternate timeline or original. It looks like nothing from any series or movie. I'm really not a fan of pretty much any thing about it, but I'm admittedly very biased toward the post-TNG aesthetic, having worked on mods for Bridge Commander for many years.

I guess everyone just skipped my post about that?

Chris

I just thought I'd reinforce it, since it seemed to have been missed the first time.

First reaction - :blink:

That has got to obviously be very early VFX, but it wasn't a wise choice to use PlayStation 1 level graphics if you're trying to sell a subscription service.

Man, I WISH my PS1 looked half that nice.

Man!! You guys are way harsh!!! Can you imagine what the first trailers for ST TNG looked like??? Come on! Have a little faith! It's gonna be something new to watch anyway! although that being said--they can bite me if they think I'm going to pay for their CBS service to watch this... :lol:

although that being said--they can bite me if they think I'm going to pay for their CBS service to watch this... :lol:

You can thank Netflix, HBO Go, Amazon Prime, etc. for that. ABC is also producing streaming-only shows as well. But I'll reserve that commentary for the General TV thread.

You can thank Netflix, HBO Go, Amazon Prime, etc. for that. ABC is also producing streaming-only shows as well. But I'll reserve that commentary for the General TV thread.

I get what you are saying but those examples Netflix, Amazon Prime, Hulu ect. don't already have a network channel that produces it's own content that people already pay for either through Cable, Satellite, ect. That's what pisses me off.

Chris

Man!! You guys are way harsh!!! Can you imagine what the first trailers for ST TNG looked like??? Come on! Have a little faith! It's gonna be something new to watch anyway! although that being said--they can bite me if they think I'm going to pay for their CBS service to watch this... :lol:

I do remember - and the Enterprise D is now the second worst design in Trek (for a ship the show is based on). I also remember it took 3 seasons for TNG to get any good - most of those first 2 seasons worth of episodes are cringe worthy. So I can wait a season for this show to appear on some other service.

Fugly. Simple word for a simple looking ship. It has no style and no grace and no 'personality.'

They can go with a TOS Reliant, they can go with a 'modernized' Daedalus, heck even a Stargazer!

But no, let's go with a rejected design for a rejected show for the most 'modern' Star Trek show in years.

The checks keep stacking against this show...

I could look past the ship design, if kick ass scripts are delivered. I was always partial to the Excelsior design myself. Sad that it didn't much use after Khan.

I agree that the Excelsior design is one of the best in Star Trek (#1 - Refit Enterprise, #2 - Excelsior class, #3 - Miranda class, #4 - Sovereign class... imo). However, NX-2000 wasn't introduced until ST-III, NCC-2000 in ST-VI, 1701-B in ST-Generations; and as for not seeing much use... :blink: ... it was the most ubiquitous ship class in TNG and DS9.

Edited by mechaninac

I agree that the Excelsior design is one of the best in Star Trek (#1 - Refit Enterprise, #2 - Excelsior class, #3 - Miranda class, #4 - Sovereign class... imo). However, NX-2000 wasn't introduced until ST-III, NCC-2000 in ST-VI, 1701-B in ST-Generations; and as for not seeing much use... :blink: ... it was the most ubiquitous ship class in TNG and DS9.

Since you mention it, Excelsior-class ships were used for nearly a century. If Discovery is an old design (And they are hinting the design isn't final), I don't see why an old ship isn't still in use.

Fugly. Simple word for a simple looking ship. It has no style and no grace and no 'personality.'

They can go with a TOS Reliant, they can go with a 'modernized' Daedalus, heck even a Stargazer!

But no, let's go with a rejected design for a rejected show for the most 'modern' Star Trek show in years.

The checks keep stacking against this show...

There are several canon and semi-canon designs they could've used directly or as inspirations that would give the new show a sense of continuity with the rest of pre-established Starfleet aesthetics, or create something completely new yet familiar; but no, instead they go with an awkward nacelled Star Destroyer reject with an afterthought Frisbee tacked on top.

Something innovative and unique, yet immediately recognizable as a Federation ship would be infinitely preferable, like the Chariot Class, just as an example

federation_chariot-class_00-2.jpg?w=750&

uss20chariot2033cc2.jpg?w=752&h=562

I could look past the ship design, if kick ass scripts are delivered. I was always partial to the Excelsior design myself. Sad that it didn't much use after Khan.

Guessing you mean the Miranda class? That did get used now and again, though I think the original USS Reliant model was modded into the Soyuz class at some point? I don't remember if it was a permanent change or not.

The Miranda got seen now and again when DS9 started moving toward big fleet battles. I believe Sisko was also stationed on one at Wolf 359, the USS Saratoga.

Looking at the ship again though, it's clearly got TMP-styled phaser bank turrets all over the saucer, and minimal blue glowy stuff on the nacelles, so I'm assuming this is supposed to be a similar timeframe to TOS. It's just that nothing else looks like it fits really.

Edited by Chronocidal

Galaxy-class or bust! There are no other competitors for best ship design.

That being said, I'll wait to see more about the show itself before passing judgement. If it turns out to be a Federation/Klingon hybrid design, a la the SSV Normandy, then I'll accept what I see.

Guessing you mean the Miranda class? That did get used now and again, though I think the original USS Reliant model was modded into the Soyuz class at some point? I don't remember if it was a permanent change or not.

No, I meant the USS Excelsior, from Search for Spock, sorry my bad:

post-30911-0-05159900-1469499679_thumb.jpg

Edited by Mazinger

Yeah, it became the Soyuz class permanently.

Am I the only one who really liked the old FASA designs in their Star Trek games?

Edited by Sildani

I'm not sure I remember what those were, are we talking the old TOS-style Federation mashups that had the saucer stuck on a single warp nacelle, and the three-nacelle dreadnaught?

See, I worked on Bridge Commander so long and saw so many amazing custom designs, I don't think anything the people working on an actual budget make is ever going to measure up.

There are several canon and semi-canon designs they could've used directly or as inspirations that would give the new show a sense of continuity with the rest of pre-established Starfleet aesthetics, or create something completely new yet familiar; but no, instead they go with an awkward nacelled Star Destroyer reject with an afterthought Frisbee tacked on top.

Something innovative and unique, yet immediately recognizable as a Federation ship would be infinitely preferable, like the Chariot Class, just as an example

Always loved that design. :)

Chris

I think the TLA will be DSC.

I do remember - and the Enterprise D is now the second worst design in Trek (for a ship the show is based on).

I'm curious what the single worst is.

Personally, in general I like the -D. Except for the right-angle nacelle struts, I vastly prefer straight-line struts. It admittedly has a bit of a "melty" look to it, but I feel the lines generally work.

My second-worst is the NX-01. I really can't peg WHY it bugs me, but it does.

My worst is the Voyager. The hinged warp nacelles murder my suspension of disbelief every time.

Yeah the hinged nacelles was gimmicky. My least favorite Enterprise is probably the NX followed by TOS. I respect and appreciate the original E for what it did and represents, but, that design aesthetic hasn't aged well IMO and definitely looks like a product of its time. Before the pitchforks come out, just because it is one of my least favorite of the E's doesn't mean I don't like it. It just doesn't give me the warm fuzzies that other designs do.

Chris

This looks like the Glen Quagmire ship. Giggity.

While I don't share some of the opinions about Starship aesthetics (personally I never liked the Enterprise D) I will admit that even some of the non-canon or never shown on screen designs look infinitely better than what has been shown of the Discovery. Slice of pizza indeed.

Gonna go and see Star Trek Beyond again and try and forget about this whole thing until it's closer to production.

-b.

Chariot class has just become my second favorite Federation design. Sad that Paramount hasn't used something like this yet.

Spoiler for size:

Yeah the hinged nacelles was gimmicky. My least favorite Enterprise is probably the NX followed by TOS. I respect and appreciate the original E for what it did and represents, but, that design aesthetic hasn't aged well IMO and definitely looks like a product of its time. Before the pitchforks come out, just because it is one of my least favorite of the E's doesn't mean I don't like it. It just doesn't give me the warm fuzzies that other designs do.

Chris

Don't forget, it was a way to get around a hokey TNG episode that limited ward speeds and enforced a 'speed limit' all across the Federation. Somehow, elevating the nacelles was supposed to get around the disruptive effect. But then again, if all they had to do was lift the nacelles above the centerline of the hull, then most of Starfleet was alright anyway...

Probably should have just ignored that episode...

Edited by Thom

Don't forget, it was a way to get around a hokey TNG episode that limited ward speeds and enforced a 'speed limit' all across the Federation. Somehow, elevating the nacelles was supposed to get around the disruptive effect. But then again, if all they had to do was lift the nacelles above the centerline of the hull, then most of Starfleet was alright anyway...

Probably should have just ignored that episode...

Yeah I remember that episode....it seemed like they quickly ignored it anyway. Lol

Chris

My favorite non-canon ship is this interpretation of the McQuarrie configuration:

http://www.galacticempire.org/2011/11/star-trek-uss-edward-teller-nx-27cln.html

It retains the elegant lines of the yacht-like TMP aesthetics, yet it looks like a starship and not like a hood ornament or a toy. the reduced color palette also helps a lot.