Still haven’t seen any of ‘em, so I can’t say. 

As for Chekhov being on a USN ship - without it, we never would’ve gotten “Nu-klee-aar... WESSELS!” Comedy gold. 

I want to say 90% of ST:IV gets a temporal pass because it's just so entertaining. :p 

I never understood why anyone assumed the antique glasses require any sort of paradox though.  Kirk joked about them being a gift again in the future, but that doesn't mean he would be the recipient of them a second time, or that they would even survive to that point in time.  The timeline might not be entirely linear, but that doesn't mean it doesn't have a fixed starting and ending point.  

25 minutes ago, Sildani said:

Still haven’t seen any of ‘em, so I can’t say. 

As for Chekhov being on a USN ship - without it, we never would’ve gotten “Nu-klee-aar... WESSELS!” Comedy gold. 

That bit is actually from when he and Uhura are out in the street asking where the Nuclear Wessels are.  If heard that the lady that actually answered them accidentally walked onto the scene and that the cop that is staring at them was actually a real cop doing security duty for the shoot.  I don't care if either is actually true but it is fun.

Discovery has many problems, and at this point it's arguable where it falls on the "bad" scale relative to the other series. 

Personally I'm trying to decide if it's better or worse than Voyager. Though it's better than first season TNG, Enterprise (excluding most of season 4), and most of TOS. 

DS9 is still the best Trek series. 

I'd love to see a Captain Pike series set aboard the Enterprise before Kirk. You already built the sets, CBS, so just do it! 

16 minutes ago, Lolicon said:

Discovery has many problems, and at this point it's arguable where it falls on the "bad" scale relative to the other series. 

Personally I'm trying to decide if it's better or worse than Voyager. Though it's better than first season TNG, Enterprise (excluding most of season 4), and most of TOS. 

For my money, Discovery has already seized the top (bottom?) spot as "worst Star Trek".

Star Trek: Discovery is bad, but it's bad in a way that's very different from the weak spots of previous generations of Star Trek shows.  It's most similar to TNG's first season, where you had the Enterprise crew journeying to worlds near and far and sitting in judgement of their cultures and values even though that was explicitly the opposite of their mission.  Burnham ended up being a lot like Wesley, a wunderkind who can do no wrong and for whom other characters exist simply to facilitate her displaying how awesome she is.  Even when she is clearly in the wrong, the writers bend over backwards so that she is still right.  Unlike TNG, which quickly realized Wesley was annoying as f*ck, STD doubled down on Burnham to the point that it's hard to argue that she isn't a Mary Sue.  She's also got a touch of Janeway syndrome, where the writers can't decide if she's a tough as nails action girl or a delicate and emotional wilting violet, so she whipsaws back and forth between the two extremes with nary a stop in the middle.

16 minutes ago, Lolicon said:

I'd love to see a Captain Pike series set aboard the Enterprise before Kirk. You already built the sets, CBS, so just do it! 

Anson Mount did say he was open to the idea, but in the interview where he said so he made it pretty clear both in explicit terms and by implication that he found working for the CBS showrunners in charge of Star Trek to be a frustrating, exhausting, and unpleasant ordeal and not something he's really interested in doing again... which may be connected to the HR complaint that leaked into the news in which there was reportedly a physical altercation between Mount and a director working on the series.  If he does come back, he's made it very clear it'll only be on his terms.

2 hours ago, Seto Kaiba said:

For my money, Discovery has already seized the top (bottom?) spot as "worst Star Trek".

Star Trek: Discovery is bad, but it's bad in a way that's very different from the weak spots of previous generations of Star Trek shows.  It's most similar to TNG's first season, where you had the Enterprise crew journeying to worlds near and far and sitting in judgement of their cultures and values even though that was explicitly the opposite of their mission.  Burnham ended up being a lot like Wesley, a wunderkind who can do no wrong and for whom other characters exist simply to facilitate her displaying how awesome she is.  Even when she is clearly in the wrong, the writers bend over backwards so that she is still right.  Unlike TNG, which quickly realized Wesley was annoying as f*ck, STD doubled down on Burnham to the point that it's hard to argue that she isn't a Mary Sue.  She's also got a touch of Janeway syndrome, where the writers can't decide if she's a tough as nails action girl or a delicate and emotional wilting violet, so she whipsaws back and forth between the two extremes with nary a stop in the middle.

Anson Mount did say he was open to the idea, but in the interview where he said so he made it pretty clear both in explicit terms and by implication that he found working for the CBS showrunners in charge of Star Trek to be a frustrating, exhausting, and unpleasant ordeal and not something he's really interested in doing again... which may be connected to the HR complaint that leaked into the news in which there was reportedly a physical altercation between Mount and a director working on the series.  If he does come back, he's made it very clear it'll only be on his terms.

seems pretty apt.

3 hours ago, Lolicon said:

No one is as annoying or as much of a Mary Sue/Marty Stu/author insert as Wesley. Just ask Eugene Wesley Roddenberry about it. :p

Crusher's got Burnham beat in terms of author self-insert wish fulfillment... but Burnham wipes the floor with him in terms of sheer Mary Sue-ness.  Wesley wasn't a main character, after all.

4 hours ago, Lolicon said:

Yeah I'd like a real Trek series as well with Mount as the Captain.

I hope CBS get their act together.

I enjoyed the second season a lot more than the first and like the show overall more than Enterprise.

With the exception of a handful of episodes, I would put Enterprise dead last amongst all the series, including The Animated Series.

Voyager is a guilty pleasure of mine.

Well, that was a much better season than Season 1.

Would I like to see a Mount-starring Captain Pike series? Hell frakin' YES. But I'm not going to scream and cry bloody murder for it. Too many shows to keep track of at the moment. Thank god some of them are ending.

35 minutes ago, Mazinger said:

With the exception of a handful of episodes, I would put Enterprise dead last amongst all the series, including The Animated Series.

Voyager is a guilty pleasure of mine.

As long as it is a guilty pleasure.

Personally, I think Enterprise as a whole is better than Voyager, but that's damning with faint praise.

Well, the final episode of Star Trek: Discovery's second season - and great bird of the galaxy willing, its final episode overall - had its premiere tonight.  I'm forcibly reminded of a quotation from Q that he used to describe human history and I think best suits season two of Star Trek: Discovery: "It is a tale.  Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury.  Signifying nothing."

This episode is a god-awful mess of overly-busy CGI fleet sequences where they forgot to animate ships actually firing back at their attackers, ridiculous drama punctuated by the dead-eyed fish face that Martin-Green fondly imagines looks dramatic, and more very desperate attempts to make certain female characters "cool" with incredibly forced dialog.  It's such an unholy mess that it defies summarization... which may have something to do with the eleventy-billion lensflares, the constant shakycam and rapid pan shots that left me suspecting the camera man had an inner ear problem and a six martini lunch, and spending the entire budget on the CG effects sequences having left no room for budget to write proper dialog.

1 hour ago, Mazinger said:

I hope CBS get their act together.

... considering how dumb the season finale of Discovery was, no realistic hope of that.

56 minutes ago, JB0 said:

Personally, I think Enterprise as a whole is better than Voyager, but that's damning with faint praise.

Honestly, I'd put the two on about the same level.  Voyager would've been a lot better if the network hadn't interfered so much, but it was pretty enjoyable on average.  Janeway's emotional inconsistency was frustrating but they never tried to depict her as a perfect person, she was flawed in believable ways even if the constant abandoning of ways to get home fast for flimsy reasons got a little silly after a while.  It would've been better if Robert Beltran hadn't spent seven seasons phoning it in and if they hadn't let the lawyers write Locarno out in favor of Paris since that would've given him more of a redemption arc.

Enterprise was pretty fun for the same reason.  Archer and his crew were flawed in believable ways, they made mistakes, they were occasionally embarrased, but they seemed to be having so much fun doing it that it was kind of infectious.  If it weren't for the whole Temporal Cold War plot tumor I'd rate it higher than Voyager because the business of exploration felt less routine there, and the cast really made it feel like the crew were having the time of their lives.  I'm kind of in two minds about the aborted season five since it had material that was equal parts amazing (the opening moves of the Romulan War) and embarrassing (the Kzinti).

Lessee, I tuned out when the Klingons and Kelpians arrived and skipped forward to the denouement and epilogue. Vis-a-vis the repeated moments during the season that can be interpreted as "trying to dig ourselves out of a hole / placate the fanbase", it feels significant that:

• Spock's proposal to the interviewing (admiral? all the shots were over his shoulder) was essentially "and let us never speak of this again".
  • We see Discovery vanish into Burnham's wormhole, but the final scene is the launch of the repaired Enterprise.
  • The end-title music intercuts the DSC and Alexander Courage TOS themes.

During the battle, Enterprise deploys a crew of repair bots ("D-O-T-sevens") from several ports on the saucer, confirming what I had suspected re: "is some of the maintenance automatic?" Also, it's a lot like the scene with Amidala's yacht and astromech droids from The Phantom Menace -- the bots are even white with blue trim.

When Spock and Burnham are ready to launch from Discovery's docking bay to open the escape wormhole, during the battle, there is once again gratuitous "worker bee moving crates" action in the background.

Pike flubs a line ("the calvary has arrived" -- i.e., cal-va-ry, not cav-al-ry) and it's inexcusable that nobody noticed and fixed it, at worst by looping. This isn't a spoonerism on a made-up name like "Taralians" vs. "Talarians".

5 hours ago, Lexomatic said:

it feels significant that:

• Spock's proposal to the interviewing (admiral? all the shots were over his shoulder) was essentially "and let us never speak of this again".

As reasons for having not heard about any of the events of Star Trek: Discovery in shows set in Discovery's future go, this was rather shockingly meta.

Star Trek: Discovery was poorly received by the Star Trek fandom and with the fate of its third season very much still up in the air in light of Netflix's ongoing dissatisfaction with the show's cost performance, the licensees protesting that the series isn't marketable for them, and independent reviews of the series being almost uniformly negative.  Having an established and beloved classic Star Trek character like Spock propose that we never speak of this again on pain of death feels a bit like an attempted author's saving throw in the event the show ends up being canceled or heavily retooled.  This way, if the show ends prematurely they can write its lack of future references off as "the greatest story never told" and if they have to retool it heavily and say, start over with another ship named Discovery and a new crew, they have an excuse to never reference the events of seasons one and two.

This would seem to have put paid to the proposed Section 31 series starring Georgeau though, since Section 31 was wiped out by the joint Federation-Klingon-Kelpian taskforce and its fleet obliterated and Georgeau herself was aboard the Discovery when it left the present day for (allegedly) 930 years in the future to abandon it as seen in the Short Trek "Calypso".  (Weirdly, this seems like a choice that actually sets Calypso's events in the 42nd century, since the ship had been abandoned for a thousand years before it became sentient and they jumped almost a thousand years into the future to put it there in the first place.)

5 hours ago, Lexomatic said:
  • We see Discovery vanish into Burnham's wormhole, but the final scene is the launch of the repaired Enterprise.
  • The end-title music intercuts the DSC and Alexander Courage TOS themes.

It's the same bait-and-switch routine they tried at the end of season one... by ending not on the horribly unpopular Discovery and its crew, but rather the beloved and iconic Enterprise and its crew, they're trying to bait the fans into not giving up on the series.  I went and canceled my subscription the minute I finished watching.

The ending was such an anticlimactic mess that it's amazing they actually went with it.  

How do they deal with the genocidal AI "Control"?  They magnetize the floor under Control!Leland's feet and it just falls down and immediately dies... like it's running on a bunch of old 5400rpm hard drives or something.  It makes the entire final fight ridiculous.  Couldn't they have magnetized the floor literally anywhere on the ship and saved themselves a lot of grief, trouble, and the lives of several bridge crew members?  We had to sit through like twenty minutes of Georgeau and that Barzan security officer punching Leland even though we know he doesn't feel pain and can't be hurt that way.  With Control dead, there's also literally no reason to send the Discovery into the future anymore... they killed the threat in the present day, so the rest of the season's ending is totally unnecessary with Control's corpse stuck to the floor of the spore drive's reaction cube. 

1 hour ago, Seto Kaiba said:

It makes the entire final fight ridiculous.  Couldn't they have magnetized the floor literally anywhere on the ship and saved themselves a lot of grief, trouble, and the lives of several bridge crew members?  We had to sit through like twenty minutes of Georgeau and that Barzan security officer punching Leland even though we know he doesn't feel pain and can't be hurt that way.  With Control dead, there's also literally no reason to send the Discovery into the future anymore... they killed the threat in the present day, so the rest of the season's ending is totally unnecessary with Control's corpse stuck to the floor of the spore drive's reaction cube. 

Yup.  That was bad.  I do wish there was a designated person on every writing staff looking for dumb plotting like this to point it out.  They could have just as easily come up with some other 'Deus Ex Machina' attack on Control that could only have resulted from everything involved in the last moments of the show.

Edited by Mazinger

Off topic because I’m not discussing the shows story but I keep going back to look at my little Eaglemoss Bonaventure model.  They should have canonized this design and made it the Discovery.  It would have made so much more sense.

B6E6C259-6C5A-4F1F-B0C9-7BDC86D41362.thumb.jpeg.52d1ae9bdc592bb18c75092af1c5a687.jpegDFE6B09E-D9A2-497D-8719-E310CC40EEDC.thumb.jpeg.3da69373f2042ba65bd207ab351fcf4a.jpeg

From a Facebook commenter that posted on a group I follow: All can be explained easily. It is US scriptwriting for mass market performance. Fast food. Superficial instead of tight research, eye candy mass cgi instead of believable battle etc and way too many crew soap opera instead of logical plot developent. GREAT to watch but little to please the intellect. Be it Discovery or Elementary, in the end they will be cancelled. Quality is a dish served way too rately

I had to borrow this. Does this comment seem accurate?

Edited by TehPW

On 4/19/2019 at 3:36 PM, Mazinger said:

Yup.  That was bad.  I do wish there was a designated person on every writing staff looking for dumb plotting like this to point it out.  They could have just as easily come up with some other 'Deus Ex Machina' attack on Control that could only have resulted from everything involved in the last moments of the show.

Previous Star Trek shows had all kinds of fact-checkers and consistency checkers whose job was to prevent the kind of boneheaded writing problems that plague Discovery.

Beginning in Star Trek: the Next Generation's first season, each Star Trek series created and maintained a "series bible" for its writers that included basic biographical and personality info about the characters, vital statistics for the ship(s), explanations of how various important pieces of technology worked, and in the course of all that also identified a list of stuff the writers were not allowed to do.  

I've got copies of the TNG season one and VOY season one series bibles.  The TNG one very clearly has Gene Roddenberry's fingerprints all over it, like his insistence on describing any female character who is supposed to be attractive as having a "strip queen" body.

23 hours ago, Mommar said:

Off topic because I’m not discussing the shows story but I keep going back to look at my little Eaglemoss Bonaventure model.  They should have canonized this design and made it the Discovery.  It would have made so much more sense.

Did that design appear anywhere besides the calendars?  Memory Beta says it's alluded to in the Enterprise relaunch as a design that was on the drawing boards in the wake of the Romulan War (c.2163) when the early UFP's main starship design was still the Daedalus-class and its de facto flagship was the NX-class Columbia-subclass USS Endeavour under the command of Captain T'Pol.  The Bonaventure-class would've been half a century or more old when Star Trek: Discovery is set.

It's a nice design, mind you.

2 hours ago, TehPW said:

From a Facebook commenter that posted on a group I follow: All can be explained easily. It is US scriptwriting for mass market performance. Fast food. Superficial instead of tight research, eye candy mass cgi instead of believable battle etc and way too many crew soap opera instead of logical plot developent. GREAT to watch but little to please the intellect. Be it Discovery or Elementary, in the end they will be cancelled. Quality is a dish served way too rately

Eh... sort of.

You do still see well-researched, detailed labors of love on TV, but a lot of it is exactly that kind of quick-and-dirty, sloppy, lowest common denominator garbage.

Edited by Seto Kaiba

8 hours ago, TehPW said:

Very much agree with this. It is exactly how I’ve described Marvel movies for a few years now. People are so addicted to them that they completely ignor their flaws.

Chris

On 4/20/2019 at 1:14 AM, Mommar said:

B6E6C259-6C5A-4F1F-B0C9-7BDC86D41362.thumb.jpeg.52d1ae9bdc592bb18c75092af1c5a687.jpegDFE6B09E-D9A2-497D-8719-E310CC40EEDC.thumb.jpeg.3da69373f2042ba65bd207ab351fcf4a.jpeg

I adore the Bonaventure. I also have that mini....I think it would have been a perfect NX Enterprise instead of the “Akira-praise”

yes it did appear in a calendar, thou I forget which year.

Chris

6 hours ago, Dobber said:

I adore the Bonaventure. I also have that mini....I think it would have been a perfect NX Enterprise instead of the “Akira-praise”

yes it did appear in a calendar, thou I forget which year.

Chris

I dunno, I'm kinda partial to the unused NX-class update that the relaunch novels call the Columbia-class:

latest?cb=20150109112251

13 hours ago, Seto Kaiba said:

Did that design appear anywhere besides the calendars?  Memory Beta says it's alluded to in the Enterprise relaunch as a design that was on the drawing boards in the wake of the Romulan War (c.2163) when the early UFP's main starship design was still the Daedalus-class and its de facto flagship was the NX-class Columbia-subclass USS Endeavour under the command of Captain T'Pol.  The Bonaventure-class would've been half a century or more old when Star Trek: Discovery is set.

It's a nice design, mind you.

To be honest I don’t know.  I know there have been two ships named Bonaventure meant for relatively the same time period but I have no precise reference to go back to.  As far as I know this particular design has only appeared in the 2006 Ships of the Line Calendar.  If the Discovery is already a reworked McQuarry design of the Enterprise why not pick a different, and better looking ship, that better resembles a half-way point between Enterprise and TOS?

7 hours ago, Dobber said:

Every day I walk past the model in my office and I have to pick it up and fly it around for a minute.  It’s my favorite non-cannon design from Star Trek.

24 minutes ago, Seto Kaiba said:

I dunno, I'm kinda partial to the unused NX-class update that the relaunch novels call the Columbia-class:

latest?cb=20150109112251

I have the Eaglemoss model for this one too.  Something about the Appendix-like leftover Akira struts doesn’t work for me.  It’s interesting but I’m glad the pigtail-prise was not an actual thing.

54 minutes ago, Seto Kaiba said:

latest?cb=20150109112251

Yeah the Refit was pretty nice too. I have the model of it and am left with one problem with it. Where do the shuttle pods go now? The traditional spot on the secondary hull isn’t available as the, I can’t remember what it is called ( the pod thing between the struts), was lowered into that spot and the new neck blocks the drop bay doors. 

The NX-refit looks nice, but to me, it looked like they were trying too hard to make it like the Constitution-class. I would have liked a less tapering aft and maybe a more consistent shape. Warp cores were still mounted horizontally so all that height in the bow of drive section seems a bit much. 

• 3 weeks later...
46 minutes ago, TehPW said:

Despite CBS's protestations that Star Trek: Discovery is wildly popular, Netflix's dissatisfaction with the show's performance on their service internationally and Alex Kurtzman's apparent inability to keep the production on budget would've made another Kurtzman-led Star Trek show a VERY tough sell for Netflix's management.  That Star Trek: Discovery's merchandising partners are reportedly quite upset that the series turned out to be a merchandising dud probably didn't help either, since Netflix is likely contractually entitled to a non-trivial share of the show's licensing revenue.  

CBS and Kurtzman wouldn't have had a lot of options for getting the Picard series funded.  For whatever reason, CBS is stupidly determined to keep Star Trek streaming-exclusive and their enticement to finance the series is the international streaming rights.  Netflix isn't interested, and they're the metaphorical 500lb gorilla of the streaming world.  They can't go to Netflix's chief rival Hulu because 90% of Hulu is jointly owned by two of CBS's own rivals: NBC Universal (30%) and Disney DTCI (60%).  That basically left Amazon Prime and YouTube, both of whom already carry Star Trek properties on their digital library services.  I suspect YouTube was probably the less attractive option to CBS and Kurtzman because it'd link their videos directly to the overwhelmingly negative reviews for Kurtzman-led Star Trek already dominating discussion of the franchise on the platform.  Amazon expressed a desire to get more into content creation the way Netflix, Hulu, and YouTube already have, so they may see this as their foot in the door.

All told, with the licensees, the Star Trek fandom, and the franchise's #1 financial backer all convinced that Kurtzman's vision for Star Trek is a steaming turd... I can only wonder why it hasn't occurred to CBS to remove Kurtzman and start fresh with something people might actually want to watch.  They keep doubling down on bad decisions and wondering why the things they create aren't popular.  I mean, it's generally a pretty bad sign when actors who've only just finished shooting for your flagship property go on talk shows and to cons with the intention of talking about what a crappy job you're doing and how awful you are to work for... and when the only positive press you can drum up is the stuff coming from "news" sites that you own.

EDIT: Word on the street is that the claims that the Picard series started filming are only technically true.  They're apparently just shooting B-roll in an attempt to say work has commenced while they sort out licensee grievances.

Edited by Seto Kaiba

10 hours ago, Seto Kaiba said:

Despite CBS's protestations that Star Trek: Discovery is wildly popular, Netflix's dissatisfaction with the show's performance on their service internationally and Alex Kurtzman's apparent inability to keep the production on budget would've made another Kurtzman-led Star Trek show a VERY tough sell for Netflix's management.  That Star Trek: Discovery's merchandising partners are reportedly quite upset that the series turned out to be a merchandising dud probably didn't help either, since Netflix is likely contractually entitled to a non-trivial share of the show's licensing revenue.  

CBS and Kurtzman wouldn't have had a lot of options for getting the Picard series funded.  For whatever reason, CBS is stupidly determined to keep Star Trek streaming-exclusive and their enticement to finance the series is the international streaming rights.  Netflix isn't interested, and they're the metaphorical 500lb gorilla of the streaming world.  They can't go to Netflix's chief rival Hulu because 90% of Hulu is jointly owned by two of CBS's own rivals: NBC Universal (30%) and Disney DTCI (60%).  That basically left Amazon Prime and YouTube, both of whom already carry Star Trek properties on their digital library services.  I suspect YouTube was probably the less attractive option to CBS and Kurtzman because it'd link their videos directly to the overwhelmingly negative reviews for Kurtzman-led Star Trek already dominating discussion of the franchise on the platform.  Amazon expressed a desire to get more into content creation the way Netflix, Hulu, and YouTube already have, so they may see this as their foot in the door.

All told, with the licensees, the Star Trek fandom, and the franchise's #1 financial backer all convinced that Kurtzman's vision for Star Trek is a steaming turd... I can only wonder why it hasn't occurred to CBS to remove Kurtzman and start fresh with something people might actually want to watch.  They keep doubling down on bad decisions and wondering why the things they create aren't popular.  I mean, it's generally a pretty bad sign when actors who've only just finished shooting for your flagship property go on talk shows and to cons with the intention of talking about what a crappy job you're doing and how awful you are to work for... and when the only positive press you can drum up is the stuff coming from "news" sites that you own.

EDIT: Word on the street is that the claims that the Picard series started filming are only technically true.  They're apparently just shooting B-roll in an attempt to say work has commenced while they sort out licensee grievances.

They'd do better to just take the prints of DS9 and remaster them for HD.  The few scenes done for "What We Left Behind" have gotten a larger positive fan reaction than two seasons of Discovery have.  Forget all of this garbage not-Trek.

Edited by Mommar

12 hours ago, Mommar said:

They'd do better to just take the prints of DS9 and remaster them for HD.  The few scenes done for "What We Left Behind" have gotten a larger positive fan reaction than two seasons of Discovery have.  Forget all of this garbage not-Trek.

CBS seems to be a little gunshy about HD remasters after Star Trek: the Next Generation's didn't do so hot.

Mind you, Kurtzman also seems to want to sweep Deep Space Nine and Voyager under the rug so he can pretend Star Trek: Discovery was more progressive than it actually was.  When they were first trying to promote Discovery, they kept trying to pass Sonequa Martin-Green's casting off as an unheard-of representational coup for women and black actors.  It isn't as impressive once you realize Star Trek already logged a whopping 14 seasons and 341 episodes under black and female captains already.  Appropriately, given Star Trek's fixation with the number, that accounts for over 47% of all Star Trek episodes produced up to that point (47.7%).  Across the other four Star Trek shows, Kirk, Picard, and Archer combined managed only 33 more episodes... 22 of those being TAS.  The only new ground Discovery broke (besides being a commercial failure) was to have an openly gay couple, which Star Trek's producers had previously backed down from on at least three prior occasions: DS9's Elim Garak, First Contact's Lt. Hawk, and Enterprise's Malcolm Reed.

12 minutes ago, wwwmwww said:

Any word yet on a DVD or BluRay release of season 2?

No word at this time.

If the timing is similar to season one, I would expect it in late November or early December.

22 hours ago, Seto Kaiba said:

CBS seems to be a little gunshy about HD remasters after Star Trek: the Next Generation's didn't do so hot.

Mind you, Kurtzman also seems to want to sweep Deep Space Nine and Voyager under the rug so he can pretend Star Trek: Discovery was more progressive than it actually was.  When they were first trying to promote Discovery, they kept trying to pass Sonequa Martin-Green's casting off as an unheard-of representational coup for women and black actors.  It isn't as impressive once you realize Star Trek already logged a whopping 14 seasons and 341 episodes under black and female captains already.  Appropriately, given Star Trek's fixation with the number, that accounts for over 47% of all Star Trek episodes produced up to that point (47.7%).  Across the other four Star Trek shows, Kirk, Picard, and Archer combined managed only 33 more episodes... 22 of those being TAS.  The only new ground Discovery broke (besides being a commercial failure) was to have an openly gay couple, which Star Trek's producers had previously backed down from on at least three prior occasions: DS9's Elim Garak, First Contact's Lt. Hawk, and Enterprise's Malcolm Reed.

I'm fully aware that despite my love for Captain Sisqo/Avery Brooks that I'm considered a racist, misogynist for disliking their borderline sociopath icon.

1 hour ago, Mommar said:

I'm fully aware that despite my love for Captain Sisqo/Avery Brooks that I'm considered a racist, misogynist for disliking their borderline sociopath icon.

Ah, yes... that was an unfortunate consequence of Star Trek: Discovery coming under fire from the genuine bigots and incels back when CBS first started promoting it heavily.  Fans who actually like Discovery got so accustomed to dealing with criticism from racists, misogynists, etc. that assuming anyone criticizing the show is one seems to have become a conditioned response. 

On many Star Trek Facebook groups, it's basically impossible to have a mature discussion about the series because of it.  

In some groups it's so bad that it's become a bit nonsensical.  I've seen fans attack other fans who belong to the minorities the characters on Discovery are meant to provide proper representation for for saying those characters are kinda sh*t.

• 4 months later...