Since the USS Franklin disappeared in 2164, well before the arrival of the Narada and Jellyfish in the past caused the timeline to diverge, one can only wonder what became of Balthazar Edison and the surviving crew of the Franklin in the prime timeline....

24 minutes ago, Seto Kaiba said:

Since the USS Franklin disappeared in 2164, well before the arrival of the Narada and Jellyfish in the past caused the timeline to diverge, one can only wonder what became of Balthazar Edison and the surviving crew of the Franklin in the prime timeline....

Doesn’t he balance his time between acting and dj’ing?

1 hour ago, Seto Kaiba said:

Are we talking from the POV of TOS? or Enterprise? He didn't exist prior to TOS because the events that went into the creation of TOS's Prime Universe were (arguably) retendered moot when First Contact changed the Prime Universe to include the events of Enterprise. Now that I think about it, they might have not existed (or posed no threat to the nascent UPF) simply because of the events of The Voyage Home (Time Travel ultimately is the best means to reboot anything) for all we know, LoL.

Clearly something happened after the arrival of the Narada that set into motion Edison's decision to go to war with the UPF, something that doesn't happen in the Prime Universe, perhaps?

Another reason Edison never destroyed TOS was maybe our 'friends' in the 29th and 30th centuries?

Edited by TehPW
I cans thinks! eeeerrrrhhh

1 hour ago, TehPW said:

Are we talking from the POV of TOS? or Enterprise? He didn't exist prior to TOS because the events that went into the creation of TOS's Prime Universe were (arguably) retendered moot when First Contact changed the Prime Universe to include the events of Enterprise.

TOS, mainly.  Balthazar Edison can't have not existed in that era, since the events of Star Trek: First Contact was a causal loop (what Star Trek calls a "Pogo paradox") that self-resolved in the original timeline being restored when the Borg were successfully prevented from preventing First Contact.  The events of Enterprise had always happened in the past, as Daniels indicated.  There were some micro-scale alterations as a result of the Temporal Cold War but nothing that had far-reaching or damning implications, and even those may have been erased when Archer brought the Temporal Cold War to an end (if we can take Daniels's statements at face value).

The biographical data that mirror Archer finds in the Prime timeline TOS-era USS Defiant computer core in "In a Mirror, Darkly Part II" pretty clearly indicates that Enterprise's events and characters do exist in the timeline that was leading up to TOS.  Jonathan Archer passed away in New York the day after the Constitution-class USS Enterprise was commissioned in 2245, Hoshi Sato and her husband were among the victims of Kodos the Executioner, etc.

The USS Franklin went missing and crashed on Altemid in 2164, stranding Captain Edison and what was left of his crew there to discover the life-extending energy transfer technology, the swarm, and the abronath 69 years before the Narada's unintended temporal incursion in 2233 changed history from that point forward resulting in the formation of a new parallel reality.  Because they existed in the original timeline the Kelvin and Prime timelines branched from, they have to exist in both... and since that split occurred in both well after Edison became Krall, that raises the awkward question of what became of Krall, his minions, the swarm, and the abronath in the prime timeline.

Nero's incursion dramatically changed history, so in the prime timeline they might've been found a lot earlier, or a lot later, but they were definitely still there to be found.  

5 hours ago, Seto Kaiba said:

The USS Franklin went missing and crashed on Altemid in 2164, stranding Captain Edison and what was left of his crew there to discover the life-extending energy transfer technology, the swarm, and the abronath 69 years before the Narada's unintended temporal incursion in 2233 changed history from that point forward resulting in the formation of a new parallel reality.  Because they existed in the original timeline the Kelvin and Prime timelines branched from, they have to exist in both... and since that split occurred in both well after Edison became Krall, that raises the awkward question of what became of Krall, his minions, the swarm, and the abronath in the prime timeline.

Nero's incursion dramatically changed history, so in the prime timeline they might've been found a lot earlier, or a lot later, but they were definitely still there to be found.  

I don't clearly recall exactly how that weapon in Beyond came about, but I do remember that Kirk came into possession of a piece of it by negotiating some kind of peace treaty?  Or something like that.  I don't remember the specific details of how that mess went, but I feel like it's entirely possible that the specific chain of events leading to the situation in Beyond may have never happened in the Prime timeline, just because of different people being in different places at different times, and dealing with things in other ways.

The Franklin and crew may have always been stranded, but what if Prime Spock's meddling in events resulted in something entirely different happening to them? 

I think the whole mental excursion into what changed and what didn't is ultimately an exercise in futility, because I'm sure all those little questions will never be answered, but I do think splitting the timeline opened up a Pandora's box of possibilities that offer plenty of feasible alternatives for why certain things occurred, but others didn't.

• 1 month later...
On ‎8‎/‎29‎/‎2018 at 8:04 PM, Chronocidal said:

I don't clearly recall exactly how that weapon in Beyond came about, but I do remember that Kirk came into possession of a piece of it by negotiating some kind of peace treaty?  Or something like that.  I don't remember the specific details of how that mess went, but I feel like it's entirely possible that the specific chain of events leading to the situation in Beyond may have never happened in the Prime timeline, just because of different people being in different places at different times, and dealing with things in other ways.

The Franklin and crew may have always been stranded, but what if Prime Spock's meddling in events resulted in something entirely different happening to them? 

I think the whole mental excursion into what changed and what didn't is ultimately an exercise in futility, because I'm sure all those little questions will never be answered, but I do think splitting the timeline opened up a Pandora's box of possibilities that offer plenty of feasible alternatives for why certain things occurred, but others didn't.

It's a good excuse to write some books about it ;)

14 minutes ago, TehPW said:

It's a good excuse to write some books about it ;)

Or at least grounds for an inconsistencies drinking game.

37 minutes ago, UN Spacy said:

More about the mini-episodes they're planning, I assume?

On 8/29/2018 at 11:02 AM, Seto Kaiba said:

Jonathan Archer passed away in New York the day after the Constitution-class USS Enterprise was commissioned in 2245, Hoshi Sato and her husband were among the victims of Kodos the Executioner, etc.

Is this something that happened in the novels? Tell me more.

Just now, Sandman said:

Is this something that happened in the novels? Tell me more.

It's actually from the ENT two-parter episode "In a Mirror, Darkly".  

When Mirror!Archer and Mirror!Sato are going through the USS Defiant's main computer looking at the Federation historical database, the later details of their respective prime timeline service records are visible onscreen (and discussed in part).  The biographical data for those onscreen displays were what showed when Prime!Archer and Prime!Sato died, and in Sato's case the circumstances of her untimely demise.

That's really all there is, though.  We might get more in one of the Discovery novels that's about the manhunt for Governor Kodos.

12 minutes ago, Seto Kaiba said:

When Mirror!Archer and Mirror!Sato are going through the USS Defiant's main computer looking at the Federation historical database, the later details of their respective prime timeline service records are visible onscreen (and discussed in part).  The biographical data for those onscreen displays were what showed when Prime!Archer and Prime!Sato died, and in Sato's case the circumstances of her untimely demise.

That's really all there is, though.  We might get more in one of the Discovery novels that's about the manhunt for Governor Kodos.

Looked it up on memory alpha while you were replying and strangely no mention of that reagring Hoshi.

6 minutes ago, Sandman said:

Looked it up on memory alpha while you were replying and strangely no mention of that reagring Hoshi.

You'd have to look at her character-specific page.  The details do show up in the graphics for that episode, but the episode article doesn't give the bios in full.

It's mentioned in the third-to-last paragraph in the Background section of Hoshi's memory alpha article.

2 hours ago, Seto Kaiba said:

More about the mini-episodes they're planning, I assume?

Nope. Season 2 starts in January 2019. The shorts start this Thursday leading to the Season 2 premiere.

Runaway – Thursday, Oct. 4

Onboard the U.S.S. Discovery, Ensign Tilly (Mary Wiseman) encounters an unexpected visitor in need of help. However, this unlikely pair may have more in common than meets the eye.

Written by Jenny Lumet & Alex Kurtzman. Directed by Maja Vrvilo.

Calypso – Thursday, Nov. 8

After waking up in an unfamiliar sickbay, Craft (Aldis Hodge) finds himself on board a deserted ship, and his only companion and hope for survival is an A.I. computer interface.

Teleplay by Michael Chabon. Story by Sean Cochran and Michael Chabon. Directed by Olatunde Osunsanmi.

The Brightest Star – Thursday, Dec. 6

Before he was the first Kelpien to join Starfleet, Saru (Doug Jones) lived a simple life on his home planet of Kaminar with his father and sister. Young Saru, full of ingenuity and a level of curiosity uncommon among his people, yearns to find out what lies beyond his village, leading him on an unexpected path.

Written by Bo Yeon Kim & Erika Lippoldt. Directed by Douglas Aarniokoski.

The Escape Artist – Thursday, Jan. 3

Harry Mudd (Rainn Wilson), back to his old tricks of stealing and double-dealing, finds himself in a precarious position aboard a hostile ship – just in time to try out his latest con.

Written by Michael McMahan. Directed by Rainn Wilson.

6 minutes ago, azrael said:

Nope. Season 2 starts in January 2019. The shorts start this Thursday leading to the Season 2 premiere.

Ah.  Think I'll take a miss on that one.  Season one was such an unholy mess that I honestly doubt I can be arsed to bother pirating season two, let alone actually paying for it on CBS All Access.  It's a very strange feeling for a lifelong Trekkie to hear there's a new season of Star Trek about to start in the near future and feel no enthusiasm whatsoever.

I just hope Star Trek's chuniibyou phase passes swiftly and we can replace Discovery with something more befitting the Star Trek legacy in the near future.

It's a very strange feeling for a lifelong Trekkie to hear there's a new season of Star Trek about to start in the near future and feel no enthusiasm whatsoever.

I’m used to it.  Plenty of properties I’ve been a fan of no longer excite me.  I just add Trek to the pile and move on.  

3 hours ago, Mommar said:

I’m used to it.  Plenty of properties I’ve been a fan of no longer excite me.  I just add Trek to the pile and move on.  

Once I finish the last couple of novels in the Star Trek relaunch continuity I'm going to take a whack at the Discovery novels... I've gotta get SOMETHING out of the series, even if I can't stand the crew of the titular ship.

Once I finish the last couple of novels in the Star Trek relaunch continuity I'm going to take a whack at the Discovery novels... I've gotta get SOMETHING out of the series, even if I can't stand the crew of the titular ship.

I usually head-canon designs I like and forget the rest.

On 10/1/2018 at 2:44 PM, Seto Kaiba said:

Yup, on background graphics that the producers never realized would be visible with the HD camera angle. It will probably be ignored by a future canon work.

18 hours ago, SMS007 said:

Yup, on background graphics that the producers never realized would be visible with the HD camera angle. It will probably be ignored by a future canon work.

Nah, they'll totally stick with it.  

Archer passing away the day after the TOS Enterprise was commissioned is just too perfect for jerking the fandom's heartstrings.  Sato had a pretty sizable hatedom, so they'll likely leave hers alone simply to avoid discussing her.  (I'm betting they work it into the Discovery novels about the hunt for Kodos.)

EDIT: Esp. in Archer's case, since they established that he was apparently alive around the time the Enterprise was launched in the Kelvin timeline.

Edited by Seto Kaiba

3 hours ago, Seto Kaiba said:

EDIT: Esp. in Archer's case, since they established that he was apparently alive around the time the Enterprise was launched in the Kelvin timeline.

Wasn't the Enterprise in the Kelvin-verse launched significantly later though?  I don't know the exact timing, but I feel like I remember Kirk and crew all basically getting posted to the Enterprise fresh out of the academy on its initial launch.  Or had Pike already been in command for a while, and they were joining an established crew?

5 minutes ago, Chronocidal said:

Wasn't the Enterprise in the Kelvin-verse launched significantly later though?  I don't know the exact timing, but I feel like I remember Kirk and crew all basically getting posted to the Enterprise fresh out of the academy on its initial launch.  Or had Pike already been in command for a while, and they were joining an established crew?

The Kelvin timeline's Constitution-class USS Enterprise left port ahead of her planned maiden voyage on (or shortly before) 11 February 2258 with a crew of cadets under Captain Christopher Pike.  All of the advances gleaned from study of the Narada likely slowed down plans for the Constitution-class's construction to the point of making Pike her first captain.

The Prime timeline's Constitution-class USS Enterprise was launched on her maiden voyage on 4 July 2245 under Captain Robert April, who had supervised her construction and testing.

The production staff for Star Trek (2009) did confirm the Admiral Archer in question was Jonathan Archer from Star Trek: Enterprise... so we can presume the advances in technology that led to USS Enterprise launching thirteen years later also extended his life at least 12 more years given that he was still alive to ream Scotty for losing his beagle in a transwarp beaming experiment in 2257.

(I wonder if that means medicine in the Kelvin timeline found a way to reverse transporter-induced systemic damage?  Archer was said to be suffering from peripheral nervous system degradation as the result of overusing the NX-01 Enterprise's primitive transporter.  I guess he lucked out on not getting a full-blown case of transporter psychosis.)

First impressions based on the trailer:
Story, eh, we'll see.
New ships designs appear to be trending back towards updated TOS (crashed Reliant type and D7 holo)
New young Spock, I'm oddly ok with, based on the voice, face is not quite Nimoy-esque enough, but that will be hard to find and have them still have the acting ability.
Original "The Cage" #1, nice, I approve.

Will give it a chance as it appears that it might be trying to force the timeline back towards TOS, at least visually.

15 hours ago, SMS007 said:

CBS All Access promotional photo of Ethan Peck as Spock.

yQkzlmL.jpg

Are we getting Spock's rebellious phase?

That beard seems weirdly out of place and unkempt for a species that seems to prefer laser-like precision in their personal grooming.  You'd expect Vulcan facial hair to be a little neater.

2 hours ago, Dynaman said:

From the trailer it looks like he was in some kind of coma or medical sleep when he grew the beard.  Or maybe it is alternate universe Spock.

cannot be mirror spock (in TOS it was implied that he didn't figure things out until he mind meld Bones)… but very  much likely it's from time unable to shave more than anything else...

3 minutes ago, azrael said:

According to the SDCC trailer, he was on leave. Logic says shaving is irrelevant while on leave. :p

Unless he was vacationing with his hippie brother Sybok, I call BS... an unkempt Vulcan is almost a contradiction in terms in a species that has favored laser-straight bangs and the clean shaven look for centuries with no sign of change.

(So much so that the only unkempt Vulcans in Star Trek media are invariably the designated comic relief character, like T'Vau in How Much for Just the Planet? or T'Ryssa Chen in the TNG Relaunch.)

5 minutes ago, Seto Kaiba said:

Unless he was vacationing with his hippie brother Sybok, I call BS... an unkempt Vulcan is almost a contradiction in terms in a species that has favored laser-straight bangs and the clean shaven look for centuries with no sign of change.

Fine. He forgot to pack a razor.

(So much so that the only unkempt Vulcans in Star Trek media are invariably the designated comic relief character, like T'Vau in How Much for Just the Planet? or T'Ryssa Chen in the TNG Relaunch.)

Is that not an unnecessary limit on Vulcan culture? Consider if aliens visited a real life U.S. military base. Would it not be disappointingly unimaginative of them to assume that all persons on the base are representative of what U.S. military personnel look like during long term field missions? Or leave? Or while experiencing personal crises? Or that military standards are universal across Earth?