5 hours ago, mechaninac said:

^Not another Sybok type, half-blood or otherwise , just no!...:fool::p

I'm not advocating that! Hell no! Something more along the lines of this...

"My Vulcan logic assures me there is a peaceful way to end this conflict, but my human side wants to beat the crap out of you so what I am going to do is kick your ass in the most logical way possible!" 

8 hours ago, renegadeleader1 said:

I'm not advocating that! Hell no! Something more along the lines of this...

"My Vulcan logic assures me there is a peaceful way to end this conflict, but my human side wants to beat the crap out of you so what I am going to do is kick your ass in the most logical way possible!" 

Spock: I examined the problem from all angles and it was plainly hopeless. Logic informed me that under the circumstances the only possible action would have to be one of desperation. A logical decision, logically arrived at.

Kirk: You reasoned it was time for an emotional outburst.

• 4 weeks later...

CBS is desperately hoping this will get people to sign up for their All Access pay channel. I'm a life long Trekkie and won't be doing that. I'm content with missing the show.

Chris

1 minute ago, Dobber said:

CBS is desperately hoping this will get people to sign up for their All Access pay channel. I'm a life long Trekkie and won't be doing that. I'm content with missing the show.

Chris

Same, and if they aren't completely daft then it will hit Netflix when the season is complete like all the other series.

6 minutes ago, Focslain said:

Same, and if they aren't completely daft then it will hit Netflix when the season is complete like all the other series.

They ARE completely daft... the core/main market Star Trek: Discovery is being targeted to is the United States, and unless they've changed their minds that's the ONLY market where it's going up on their crummy proprietary streaming service instead of going up on Netflix.  Between that and all the other questionable decisions, you'd almost swear they were attempting to pull a Springtime for Hitler by flying the show into the ground.

Nothing I've seen so far has convinced me the show's worth spending ten bucks a month on CBS All Access to watch it.  A few friends and I have a bet on how long it'll last.  I'm expecting one season and done, tops.

4 minutes ago, Seto Kaiba said:

Between that and all the other questionable decisions, you'd almost swear they were attempting to pull a Springtime for Hitler by flying the show into the ground.

See, now you have me wishing they got Mel Brooks involved, and were making the series a musical.  I would have actually paid for that.

I like the look of the show and the cast, the Shenzou looks awesome, but the Discovery herself still looks like a dud that was bypassed long ago. I hope it does well, but it won't be with my bucks, and since I won't be paying for their service, I'll have to catch it on a rerun.

Just had a thought, that this is nothing like the energy I felt when TNG and then Voyager was announced. With Voyager it was being put exclusively on UPN and I remember fretting about not being able to get it. Not this though...

I wonder if there's a bright side to being unavailable to most of us. Maybe it will be able to live a little longer because it's hard to judge the ratings or maybe they'll have more freedom to experiment. On the flip side, being on a small paid network would allow the network to define exactly who the viewer is and force the producers to try to make the show cater to that subscriber base... 

That fact that the rest of the world can watch this with an already commonly used pay service (Netflix) but not the U.S....the core market, is a slap in the face. Have they said it will be available after the whole season airs. I thought CBS was pulling it's library from Netflix to try and get people to subscribe to their All Access?

Chris

If they go and pull the entire Trek library off Netflix now, they'll be nuking themselves in the foot by pissing off what's left of the fanbase, and probably would destroy any slim chance this series would have of succeeding in any way.

Unless they actually think people would be so desperate for streaming Trek that they'd subscribe to their service just for that, and then would pray that Discovery gets pulled along in the backwash, and actually get exposure.  I'd think anyone that interested would already have everything on bluray.

Edited by Chronocidal

Nope. CBS & Paramount already by previous conduct & actions recalibrated my GAFometer to -3 PSI base measurement... 

18 hours ago, Chronocidal said:

See, now you have me wishing they got Mel Brooks involved, and were making the series a musical.  I would have actually paid for that.

You could check out The Orville, I'm sure Seth will have a musical episode sometime during the season.

23 hours ago, Chronocidal said:

If you want that exact experience, there's a Star Trek novel you should read... How Much for Just the Planet? by John M. Ford.

No, really.  Anything I could say about it wouldn't do it justice.  

(Hah!  Available through Google Play Books for nine bucks...)

21 hours ago, Chronocidal said:

If they go and pull the entire Trek library off Netflix now, they'll be nuking themselves in the foot by pissing off what's left of the fanbase, and probably would destroy any slim chance this series would have of succeeding in any way.

Unless they actually think people would be so desperate for streaming Trek that they'd subscribe to their service just for that, and then would pray that Discovery gets pulled along in the backwash, and actually get exposure.  I'd think anyone that interested would already have everything on bluray.

It's turned into rather a controversy conga... first the reuse of that hideous McQuarrie Star Trek Phase II design for the USS Discovery, then the new Klingon designs, the decision to keep it exclusive to a proprietary streaming service in its home market, then the completely ridiculous (and ironic) furor over cast diversity.

That's why I've got a bet on with several friends that it won't last more than one season... and that's assuming that they produced the entire season before it went to streaming.  I suspect they're hoping and praying the fair weather casual fans who made the Abrams movies a commercial success are going to carry Discovery... they're about to learn the hard way that particular audience isn't all that invested in Star Trek proper and only saw Abrams' efforts as a string of half-passable popcorn flicks.

Edited by Seto Kaiba

On 5/22/2017 at 7:29 AM, Mazinger said:

Oh, the animated series!  Love that it is now considered cannon by many.  Some really good eps in there.  If I recall correctly, wasn't the time-travel, cousin visit referenced in one of the JJ movies? I seem to remember it mentioned in a live action setting.

I never saw the animated series, but heard that most if not all the original actors did the voices?

I bet in 15-20 years, tech will be advanced enough to redo the entire series in live action, with CGI stand-ins for the actors and dubbing their original voices and dialogue into it.

Back on topic though, I'll bet Discovery won't do well.  The designs are already pissing off old fans, and it doesn't seem like many want to pay to see it.

I've always thought that I loved all things Star Strek, watched all the series (except the animated series), all the films, and even sort of liked the JJ films, but I won't sign up to watch this, and may not eve bother to d/l or stream it.

Edited by peter

1 hour ago, peter said:

I never saw the animated series, but heard that most if not all the original actors did the voices?

With the sole exception of Walter Koenig's Ensign Chekhov, Star Trek: the Animated Series had all of the TOS regulars present and voiced by their original actors.  Chekhov was cut to keep the voice actor budget down, and was replaced by a three-armed, three-legged alien named Lt. Arex (voiced by Jimmy Doohan).  Majel Barrett also voiced a new character on top of returning as Nurse Chapel, a Caitian comm officer Lt. M'ress, who was Uhura's periodic stand-in.  (Walter did pen at least one episode of the series though, so it's not like he was totally uninvolved.)

The quality of the series is iffy... at its worst ("The Slaver Weapon", "Bem", "The Magicks of Megas-Tu") it was downright Scooby-Doo levels of silly or stupid.  At its best ("More Tribbles, More Troubles", "How Sharper than a Serpent's Tooth") it was every bit as good as TOS's better episodes.  Still massively camp, but good.

1 hour ago, peter said:

I bet in 15-20 years, tech will be advanced enough to redo the entire series in live action, with CGI stand-ins for the actors and dubbing their original voices and dialogue into it.

They almost started adapting backstory events from TAS in Enterprise (the Kzinti wars), but were mercifully prevented from doing so by the cancellation of the series.  Mercifully, we'll never know if the Kzinti were to be as violently in love with the color fuschia as they were in TAS.

1 hour ago, peter said:

Back on topic though, I'll bet Discovery won't do well.  The designs are already pissing off old fans, and it doesn't seem like many want to pay to see it.

I've always thought that I loved all things Star Strek, watched all the series (except the animated series), all the films, and even sort of liked the JJ films, but I won't sign up to watch this, and may not eve bother to d/l or stream it.

A pretty common sentiment among older fans and folks who didn't like the Abrams movies.  

5 hours ago, UN Spacy said:

There's one little thing that's bothering me about the uniform... at the time period Discovery is set in, each starship had its own unique insignia on the uniform.  The insignia they have there didn't become the Federation Starfleet standard until the timeskip between TOS/TAS and TMP.

1 hour ago, Kyp Durron said:

The Orville is more Trek than this ever will be.

I'm not sure if I'd go quite that far... but The Oroville is deliberately trying to be as much like Star Trek as it can for parody's sake, where this is trying to break new ground (for better or worse).

On 6/20/2017 at 1:16 PM, peter said:

TOS did have many compelling story lines, but those are hampered now by dated effects. Newer, younger audiences want a far more technological look as compared to the simplicity of TOS. They want the glowing touch screens and holograms as compared to blank panels and jewel-like switches. Which is reasonable. Any new series is not going to be made with the tech and know-how of something that's over thirty years old. With as much as we can do now with effects, people want as much flash and bang in their entertainment as they can get. They want shiny and new. They want to drive the brand new Corvette in the driveway, not the stationwagon.

As for the show, I think it would do well if it was run on normal TV, or put on Netflicks for everyone to see as it should be. But they just may be shooting themselves in the foot by restricting access rather than letting it out on as many venues as they can get it on. Which is stupid in the extreme.

You don't put so much time and effort into making what they hope is a groundbreaking new take on a beloved franchise, and then use it as a tool to prop up their access feed. They have it ass-backwards.

22 minutes ago, Mommar said:

They found a reason for me to watch an episode!

Great guy, not such a great director.  Star Trek Insurrection and First Contact both suffered from directorial issues.  But to reiterate - great guy, you gotta give him real credit for walking around in Pajamas during one of Shatner's Trek "Documentaries"

2 hours ago, Sildani said:

Seems that Jonathan Frakes is in to direct at least one episode. 

http://screencrush.com/star-trek-discovery-jonathan-frakes-direct/

One has to wonder if he volunteered, or it's just a feeble attempt to drum up some enthusiasm from the ambivalent majority of Star Trek fans.

3 minutes ago, Seto Kaiba said:

One has to wonder if he volunteered, or it's just a feeble attempt to drum up some enthusiasm from the ambivalent majority of Star Trek fans.

I don't know, he's pretty enthusiastic about Trek in general.  And has said many times he was willing to come back and direct more Trek TV and movies if asked.

Frakes is a likable guy, no doubt. Every time you see him talk about the franchise, he's definitely enthusiastic about it!  I don't think he's a bad director, just one that needs to have more experience when it comes to feature films. First Contact was arguably the best Next Gen movie, and it's not that Insurrection was bad...it just felt like a long episode of the week Trek for me.  

CBS really should have started with this article. I never really liked the whole "new problem/encounter" of the week that trek loved to do. It worked for TOS & TNG, but after the introduction of a serial format in the later seasons of DS9, Voyager really suffered for the procedural format it reverted to. 

1 hour ago, Phobos said:

CBS really should have started with this article. I never really liked the whole "new problem/encounter" of the week that trek loved to do. It worked for TOS & TNG, but after the introduction of a serial format in the later seasons of DS9, Voyager really suffered for the procedural format it reverted to. 

And in the first paragraph they got something wrong...

Star Trek creator Gene Roddenberry had a lot of strict rules for writers on his shows. Some, like the requirement that both female and male officers be called "sir," were thrown out a while ago (Kate Mulgrew, who played Captain Kathryn Janeway, wanted to be called "ma'am"). Now, with forthcoming series Star Trek: Discovery, we're about to see one of Roddenberry’s most cherished rules bite the dust.

No. It was not sir or ma'am, it was a decisive Captain!

But having pointed that out, keeping your main character on a friendly 'leash' certainly keeps down the drama, for good and ill.

Edited by Thom