Some pretty crap sound effects there. Anyone else get a vaguely Klingon vibe from the ship design and music?

Triple Bussard collectors. Flying V secondary hull. Impulse engines for days. Tan paint? Massive nacelles in proportion to those triple collectors.

Not sure about this. The crew and plot better be amazing.

The CGSFX from Voyager, a decade and a half plus ago, looked better and more polished than what's shown in that teaser; and yes, that ship is a blatant revamping of the phase II Enterprise design, a design that, although somewhat canon (background filler in TNG, DS9, and arguably ST-III), was rejected because it was too un-Star Trek like.

It's not the Phase II Enterprise that was the concept Motion Picture Enterprise made by Ralph Mcquarie. Never liked it and as others have said about this teaser the effects looked like crap. Add using a bad Concept design doesn't help either, and they want us to pay for the privilege to watch this show too!

Chris

Edited by Dobber

How's that enormous secondary hull anything like a Phase II Enterprise? What am I missing?

post-187-0-99135900-1469324206_thumb.jpg

They made the wedge more of a V, shortened the neck, ditched the pylons for the warp nacelles, and built the impulse engines into the hull instead of having them sticking off a structure below the shuttle bay.

It's not 100%, but it's clearly a homage. And I know we're all old grumps at MW who hate change and want kids to get off our lawns, but to heck with the haters. I kind of dig it.

I don't mind it either. It's not an Enterprise. It doesn't follow that lineage of design so I don't see what the problem is. It wasn't a great trailer cuz you know...they haven't filmed crap yet.

Anyone else get a vaguely Klingon vibe from the ship design and music?

And that's my biggest problem. It isn't an inherently crap design, but it isn't a Federation design either.

The triplet bussard collectors with the wire cross protectors make it feel more like antique electronics than a starship from the future, though.

I warmed up to the Defiant, I may yet warm to this thing too. But right now? I'm not feeling it.

Thanks guys, found it. It's not a Phase II design, it's from last a stillborn show called Planet of the Titans. Still Roddenberry and McQuarrie's work though.

I guess that's cool and all.....but wow.....way to reuse a rejected piece of concept work to make a quick buck. This is basically just another piece of Star Trek history I'm going to dislike just like Beyond disappointed me.

Thanks guys, found it. It's not a Phase II design, it's from last a stillborn show called Planet of the Titans. Still Roddenberry and McQuarrie's work though.

Actually, the full title was Star Trek: Planet of the Titans, and was a movie that was cancelled in favor of making the Phase II TV series(which was itself cancelled in favor of making a movie). Roddenberry was not involved, as Paramount hated him and didn't want him involved. They didn't even want him to KNOW about it.

And I think the wedge-shaped Discovery would look a lot better if the saucer was elongated and triangular like the Voyager(and I can't believe I'm recommending they take anything from Voyager). The round saucer just does not mesh with the angular "everything else".

I immediately recognized the ship at the first long range shot - the enterprise rejected McQuarrie design from the 70's. I have grown up thanking god we didn't get that after seeing it back in the 80's in starlog. Now we have it, fckkkk. I'm pretty bummed out. The enterprise/ship for me has always been part of the "crew" and its such a let down when I don't like the ship. I am a Refit purist (TOS movie version) and its my favorite ship of all sci-fi. This makes me like the Kelvin timeline ships a lot more, which has been hard to accept as is (jury is out still of what we saw at the end of the new ST3).

However, I have watched the new series trailer a few times, im giving it a pass for now on the CGI - i cant believe they would go to a series with that quality. Back to the ship design.. its SLIGHTLY growing me on after a few viewings... ill give it a thumbs down but with the possibility of redemption once I see more and know how the story explains it. Still feels like a wasted to not have a better design or even a refit.

Check this out, if they wanted to something original ship wise they should have just bought this design from this designer/builder. Its fantastic.

Everybody hates it. I like it. A more inspiring piece of music probably would have helped the overall presentation, but the choice of shots was nice.

It's not the Phase II Enterprise that was the concept Motion Picture Enterprise made by Ralph Mcquarie. Never liked it and as others have said about this teaser the effects looked like crap. Add using a bad Concept design doesn't help either, and they want us to pay for the privilege to watch this show too!

Chris

I guess everyone just skipped my post about that?

Chris

First reaction - :blink:

That has got to obviously be very early VFX, but it wasn't a wise choice to use PlayStation 1 level graphics if you're trying to sell a subscription service.

I'll reserve judgement on whether or not I like the ship design until I see something that resembles a finished product.

But for now, LOL - hell no.

-b.

I don't get why people are so hung up on the visuals. I still enjoy cartoons from the 80s. That said, not much to go on yet.

Because it's a visual medium. :D

And to be perfectly honest, some 80's cartoons look better than that teaser, like DYRL and TF:TM.

I mean really, CBS wants you, me and as many people as possible to buy their subscription service - if you want my money, for your flagship program no less, then bring your A+++++++++ game. And right now, they are failing pretty miserably.

This could be the best written, acted, produced and whatever else show in history, but you'd never know that it had that sort of pedigree from what's been shown.

And :lol: at ST:D!!!!

-b.

The ship feels like a starfleet take on the Klingon K'tinga battlecruiser as the music seems to be pointing too.

And if the ship is supposed be a battlecruiser, then I think naming it Discovery seems inappropriate.

And once again the mighty Galaxy class still stands the test of time and remains the best starship design ever for me.

This design has no chance of being a favourite.

I wonder... as its been confirmed that this is set in the "Prime" universe, and I think I read somewhere its set between the end of the original crew movies and TNG, if the "Discovery" is a co-operative venture between the Klingons and Star Fleet...?

But the regestry number is lower than the Enterprise NCC-1701?

I haven't read any of the previous posts, nor any reviews on thia new trailer, in fact, the link to the trailer didn't work for some reason, so I looked up the new trailer on youtube.

First, wtf did I just watch? The visuals look a bit......primitive compared to today's standards?

Sounds Klingon....

Ship design made me puke in my mouth.

I didn't like 1701-D after growing up on 1701-A, but it grew on me to be one of my favourites. 1701-E I had no trouble adapting to. Other classes I never disliked, and I realize this is not the Enterpprize, but wtf is this slice of pizza?

Now to go back and read what others have said and see if I'm out of my tree and stand alone on my opinion.

Edited by peter