https://www.yahoo.com/tv/s/star-trek-series-coming-cbs-2017-160529449.html

Studios announced Monday.

Alex Kurtzman will serve as executive producer for the new Star Trek TV series. Kurtzman co-wrote and produced the blockbuster 2009 film Star Trek with Roberto Orci, and co-wrote 2013s Star Trek Into Darkness with Orci and Damon Lindelof. Both films were produced and directed by J.J. Abrams.

The series will not be related to the third installment in the franchise, Star Trek Beyond, which is scheduled to be distributed by Paramount Pictures in summer 2016. It will instead focus on new characters boldly going where no one has gone before.

Guest davidwhangchoi

you're going to have to pay for it 6$ a month.

http://www.startrek.com/article/new-star-trek-series-premieres-january-2017

The new series will blast off with a special preview broadcast on the CBS Television Network. The premiere episode and all subsequent first-run episodes will then be available exclusively in the United States on CBS All Access, the Network’s digital subscription video on demand and live streaming service.

Just read the news. I want to be excited for this, but I have to be honest and say I'm very concerned about a new Star Trek TV series (but not for the usual "internet" reasons). I know some have criticized me for this, but I just haven't been able to muster any kind of enthusiasm for a broadcast television show for over a decade now. Comedy shows like "Brooklyn 99" and "Community" are the only broadcast shows I can watch. Everything else, it's all specialty cable. HBO, AMC, FX, Netflix, Showtime, etc. I just can't watch safe, lowest common denominator dramas on broadcast anymore. I think I've been spoiled :(

If this is going to grab me, they are really going to have to push the boundaries of Trek. Like Next Generation if it was married to that girl your parents warned you about :)

Ha!

Hell no. I like Trek, I grew up on Trek watching as a kid with my Mom. It's probably one of the largest factors I'm into Science Fiction, cartoons, toys and the like. But CBS can pound sand if they think I'm going to pay any additional monthly premium on top of the large crop of other subscription services.

And yeah, unless it's a fresh idea and not a re-heat of recent successful sci-fi properties set in space color me not interested even if free.

So ends my rant of righteous indignation. :p

-b.

I find they're only putting it on their streaming service as odd. They don't want to utilize their own broadcast anymore? Or they have so little faith in it that they won't even bother with it.

The only plus side about that is since it doesn't need to please everyone maybe they can be more "Star Trek-ey" with the show.

I find they're only putting it on their streaming service as odd. They don't want to utilize their own broadcast anymore? Or they have so little faith in it that they won't even bother with it.

The only plus side about that is since it doesn't need to please everyone maybe they can be more "Star Trek-ey" with the show.

I see two possibilities.

1 - They are going to try and use this show to jump start their online channel.

2 - They are thinking the show will not appeal enough on TV to be worth the time slot.

In either case the budget for the show will give a good clue.

I am genuinely excited for this as its been a while since we've had anything other than the odd movie. Which have been great I might add.

I just hope that its done with a lot more thought than they did with "Enterprise" which was simply horrendous. Being a big fan of Star Trek I just couldn't watch that series and it felt so detached from anything they had done previously.. They could have changed the name of the series to something else and it could have passed as something completely non Star Trek. Even the ship looked total crap!

I really liked Voyager even though it had its own high and low points. DS9 was ok I guess but often felt much lower quality. Really enjoyed The Next Gen too. Their movies even more so!

I'm more than happy to pay $6 a month to watch it.. which is really only 1.5 take away coffee's which to be honest I could do with cutting down a little.

Life long Star Trek fan, both of TOS and the subsequent series and films, but in principle I refuse to pay $6 a month to watch it, just like I refuse to pay for HBO GO or any other single-channel streaming service. Networks can air their shows on their own channels as they see fit, but when it comes to streaming I want them use existing platforms like Netflix or Hulu. I'd rather pay a subscription fee and have access to content from multiple different providers than be locked into one network's offerings. Especially when they are banking the fact that people are signing up just to watch that one show. It's the age-old practice where they try to sell a lot of crap that you don't want as part of a package to get the one thing you do want.

As for the show itself -- I like the rebooted universe, but I'd like to see the new show be a continuation of the original timeline. Maybe we can move ahead to see what the Federation look like in the 25th century. Honestly, I see the old and new franchises as really being two different beasts. The new franchise is more of a straightforward, sci-fi action adventure. But the old Star Trek was at its best when it was about real-life philosophical or social issues that were cleverly disguised with sci-fi window dressing. There was that episode of TNG that raised the question of whether Data was sentient or whether he was Starfleet property, and thus fit to be treated as such. That was a great exploration of the notion that oppression is always preceded by dehumanizing the object of oppression.

Edited by SuperSenpai

I was assuming that the $6 was for a subscription to a provider and not just to watch an odd episode specifically..

Well yeah, it is for the subscription, but c'mon it's CBS. What else do they have that's even worth watching? And as long as they feel like Star Trek will be a reliable draw for the streaming service, they can phone it for the rest.

I see two possibilities.

1 - They are going to try and use this show to jump start their online channel.

2 - They are thinking the show will not appeal enough on TV to be worth the time slot.

In either case the budget for the show will give a good clue.

They may also be planning to amp the T&A factor up past broadcast standards. Remembering how far they pushed Enterprise, I wouldn't doubt they've decided to go full on HBO/Showime with dem titties based ratings.

Life long Star Trek fan, both of TOS and the subsequent series and films, but in principle I refuse to pay $6 a month to watch it, just like I refuse to pay for HBO GO or any other single-channel streaming service. Networks can air their shows on their own channels as they see fit, but when it comes to streaming I want them use existing platforms like Netflix or Hulu. I'd rather pay a subscription fee and have access to content from multiple different providers than be locked into one network's offerings. Especially when they are banking the fact that people are signing up just to watch that one show. It's the age-old practice where they try to sell a lot of crap that you don't want as part of a package to get the one thing you do want.

This is pretty much how I feel. Next thing you know ABC, NBC, FOX, ect. Will follow suit. These networks already have their own damn channels that we have to pay for through either cable or satellite services. Now they want you to pay more to watch other shows they are producing?!

This is like the Airlines starting to charge for luggage. One does it and gets away with it and soon they will all do it. This is not a good thing.

Chris

As long as it's Robbenberry Trek, I'll be happy. Bit tired of BSG style gloom and doom.

Life is pain, highness. Anyone who says differently is selling you something...

Life is pain, highness. Anyone who says differently is selling you something...

Yeah, Rodenberry sold us a future free of a lot of the pains and ills current (recent past) that afflicted society.

So give us our Utopian future, with techno-babble and cool science-fiction action and give it to us on Network or Cable television.

-b.

Are you guys talking about the TOS television show or the cartoon? I don't see the TOS television show as being free of pain or societal ills. If anything, Roddenberry's Trek showed me a universe full of the same murderous hatred and danger that could be found right here on good 'ol mother Earth: biggotry, fascism, genocide, misogynism, slavery, weapons of war and mass destruction; sounds like more of that "doom and gloom" BSG if you ask me.

You can't have a story about the exploration and evolution of man via travel through space and not expect to encounter a bloody nose, or two. Maybe some of you guys should rewatch Encounter at Farpoint and Q Who and listen to Q's message. If I want a sickly sweet story about a bunch of people flying through space in safe adventures to find the nearest cotton candy cart I'll go watch Voltron or something. Not Go Lion mind you, but Voltron, because that universe is nice and pain free yet full of techno-action.

Most important point of all? Doom, gloom and cute girls in skin tight space uniforms sells; the mass public will not embrace an utopian styled Trek, if it's even willing to stomach 'Trek on a weekly basis at all anymore, AND AT $6 A POP. Just my three cents...

Edited by myk

Are you guys talking about the TOS television show or the cartoon? I don't see the TOS television show as being free of pain or societal ills. If anything, Roddenberry's Trek showed me a universe full of the same murderous hatred and danger that could be found right here on good 'ol mother Earth.

You can't have a story about the exploration and evolution of man via travel through space and not expect to encounter a bloody nose, or two. Maybe some of you guys should rewatch Encounter at Farpoint and Q Who and listen to Q's message. If I want a sickly sweet story about a bunch of people flying through space in safe adventures to find the nearest cotton candy cart I'll go watch Voltron or something. Not Go Lion mind you, but Voltron, because that universe is nice and pain free yet full of techno-action.

Most important point of all? Doom, gloom and cute girls in skin tight space uniforms sells; the mass public will not embrace an utopian styled Trek, if it's even willing to stomach 'Trek on a weekly basis at all anymore, AND AT $6 A POP. Just my three cents...

It's okay dude,no one is saying they want Sesame Street in Space, I'm certainly not.

Never saw any of the Trek cartoons but I'm referring to Rodenberry's underlying social messages that were highly prevalent through TOS, TNG, & DS9 and the original movies. I didn't watch enough of Voyager or Enterprise to know if that was present - but I could reasonably assume.

There can be a balance of the original *intent* of Star Trek with the current trend, or want, of fiction that is more gritty or 'realistic' to how we think people would behave based on the notion that being good or heroic is a somehow a struggle or unrealistic.

Balance, balance, balance.

-b.

Are you guys talking about the TOS television show or the cartoon? I don't see the TOS television show as being free of pain or societal ills. If anything, Roddenberry's Trek showed me a universe full of the same murderous hatred and danger that could be found right here on good 'ol mother Earth: biggotry, fascism, genocide, misogynism, slavery, weapons of war and mass destruction; sounds like more of that "doom and gloom" BSG if you ask me.

Gene Roddenberry has long been known as a humanist, and this outlook is all over Star Trek. Specifically, Star Trek envisions a future Earth where war, disease, famine, and poverty have been eradicated, and where people no longer work for the sake of profit or vanity, but for the advancement of humanity. That vision of Earth has been specifically described in more than one episode. One that comes to mind is the episode of TNG where the Enterprise encounters three humans from the past that have been frozen and placed in a sleeper ship for the purpose of being revived in the future when their terminal illnesses were deemed curable. One the of three was a wealthy businessman who was anxious to find out the value of his financial assets, only to be told by Picard that financial gain was no longer a motivating factor for people's lives in the 24th century. The very notion of humanity taking to the stars to explore space, not for financial gain, not for military conquest, but the sake of discovery and knowledge is not just a nice backdrop, but something Roddenberry actually believed in. It's that humanistic vision of the future that people have in mind when they talk about Star Trek being bright or optimistic.

In terms of stories, obviously you need to have some kind of conflict in order to establish a compelling plot. It would make for a pretty dull show if all they did was fly through space and look at pretty planets, and so Starfleet regularly encounters aliens who don't share these values. And there have been some pretty dark themes that have run through Star Trek. Still, I would argue that there is a foundation of optimism, and the heroes of Star Trek are typically shown as being very morally grounded and principled, rather than cynical anti-heroes.

Probably reboot universe.

I highly doubt it. The reboots, being movies, are owned by Paramount. CBS only has the rights for TV. This division is why there are many liscensing issues for Trek currently.

Chris

I highly doubt it. The reboots, being movies, are owned by Paramount. CBS only has the rights for TV. This division is why there are many liscensing issues for Trek currently.

Chris

That sounds even messier if they don't work together then. Currrnt interest in maintaining a new market is due to the movies, and falling back in the old timelime would bring in major multiverse cunundrums that passive fans wouldn't want to even bother with.